• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

Gully State said:
ok the medic achievements are a pain in the butt to get (at least compared to pyro). Are there any tips for that?

Hit up the achievement servers. I was completely against the idea of them, and ended up getting enough achievements for all the Pyro weapons through normal play eventually. However, after playing the medic for a while, it became quite obvious that there was no way I was going to get enough for all the weapons nomrally, so I went to an achievement server and got the remaining 8 or so I needed in about ten minutes.

Volcynika

Javaman said:
Meh. I didn't notice.

I know the team I was on sucked on like Goldrush or something. It was at a point where our first place person was LOWER in score than the LAST person on your team or whatever. It's just bleh if the team is just getting totally rolled over like that.

Vlad

Volcynika said:
I know the team I was on sucked on like Goldrush or something. It was at a point where our first place person was LOWER in score than the LAST person on your team or whatever. It's just bleh if the team is just getting totally rolled over like that.

Tell me about it. It's one thing to lose in a close fight where you know that your team at least put in some effort, but there have been way too many times where I've been dead and watching several snipers on my team sitting about ten feet away from the last point as it's being captured and not even attempting to stand on it to delay the cap.

Won

Volcynika said:
Another mention about the spy. Spies are always seen carrying the default weapon of that class. For example, if you see an engineer with a wrench or a scout with a bat, no chance of them being a spy.

Which is btw the reason why no one should disguise as a Pyro at the moment.....stupid Backburner. -.-

Won said:
Which is btw the reason why no one should disguise as a Pyro at the moment.....stupid Backburner. -.-
Backburner's too hard to spot from a distance as the difference is only a minor one. Plus, "defensive" pyros hanging around sentries often use the normal flamethrower for airburst.

Here's my Spy tip, which always seems to work for some reason.

If you know where an engineer is with a sentry/dispenser combo, disguise as Demoman, run backwards from your team and shout for medic. Head over to his dispenser and crouch, looking away from him. You're blending in, engineers don't often spycheck demomen doing this as they are always running away from trouble and need to reload. Now you wait for the right time (usually engineers get bored and try to shoot enemies) to sap his sentry and finish off the engineer with your revolver or a good backstab if you time it right as he runs back. If a medic does heal you, shout thanks and then run away towards your team (while disguised). If you're lucky, the medic may try and heal you through the "fight" (jump around a lot). Even luckier, you may get an uber! And if you're an asshole, you can backstab one of the enemy team while being healed to give your medic a teamkill point.

EDIT: disguising as demoman is sometimes good for ferreting out medics but it's bad for general stalking and stabbing, as you move slightly slower.

Scipius

So where do you guys play? That Chicago server at the top of the page never shows anything other than 0/24 and when I try to connect I get an error message saying it uses different class tables?

dionysus

Yaldog
What happened to the 2fort2furious server? That was my favorite one. Can't find it on the server list anymore. Hopefully it just moved.

Edit. Found it, remembered it was hosted by team roomba.

Capndrake

7+ (ex-)GAFers on 2fort2furious = awesome. Me, dygit, sonicspear, bloodletter, Lhadatt, Visualante and very shortly dionysus were all on it tiday.

Volcynika said:

I was playing goldrush on a server last night and the other team comprised of 5 clan members that just completely rolled the other team. The worst thing was that these guys were server donors so that they were completely immune to auto team balance (I unfortunately wasn't). The whole time I was thinking, man I must be the greatest medic in the world. Then reality hit once I was auto-switched. At one point it got so ridiculous that we all just switched to spies and ran around disguised as the other team.

Jcdragon

OK I have a couple of question on some of the jumping methods.

As a soldier to rocket jump , you just have to aim down and shoot and jump at the same time, correct?

Now, I know the Demoman has a similar type of jump. However, I'm not sure what weapon do I use. The grenade launcher or the sticky bombs? Also, it is possible to detonate the sticky bomb while I have the grenade launcher out, right?

Capndrake said:
I seriously don't remember me as Heavy (Least played class) on Gravelpit C, when was that?

According to the original file it was on July 17th.

Volcynika said:
Oh yeah, most important thing to remember.

*Always kill Twig!

Who's Twig?

And finally, what maybe the noob-est question ever, how does the point scoring system work exactly?

Won

Jcdragon said:
As a soldier to rocket jump , you just have to aim down and shoot and jump at the same time, correct?

Yes. And Jump+Crouch for an even higher jump. (right?)

Jcdragon said:
Now, I know the Demoman has a similar type of jump. However, I'm not sure what weapon do I use. The grenade launcher or the sticky bombs? Also, it is possible to detonate the sticky bomb while I have the grenade launcher out, right?

Stickies, yes. And detonation is always possible.

Jcdragon said:
Who's Twig?

superpeach-ludwigjokered994.gif

Jcdragon said:
And finally, what maybe the noob-est question ever, how does the point scoring system work exactly?

Good question!

Kill = 1 point
Backstab = 2 points
Headshot (sniper only) = 2 points

The rest I don't know...never cared.
I think it is
0.5 points for an assist
2 points for point capture

You also get points for dominations and revenge, I think.

Won

TheOneGuy said:
I don't know if it was a glitch or what, but I've gotten headshots as a spy before.

I dunno how.

It is called "alcohol". Pretty common these days. Turns a backstab into a headshot.

firex

I think you get 1 point per medic assist but I know it's half a point for every other class's assist.

edit: also I think you get 2 points for a defend. still not sure how many points you get for healing, but I know you get points per x amount healed. and engineers get points per teleport.

Twig

Banned
Won said:
It is called "alcohol". Pretty common these days. Turns a backstab into a headshot.
Except I was using the revolver. And I've only drunk alcohol once while playing TF2, but nothing spectacular happened then.

Won

TheOneGuy said:
Except I was using the revolver. And I've only drunk alcohol once while playing TF2, but nothing spectacular happened then.

Yeah...sure...what next? Team killing sentries?

:p

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
God damn you Capndrake. :mad: We still won, but, he wouldn't let me snipe in peace in that last match. :lol

Edit: After that first cp, I thought we were going to get rolled on, but, that didn't happen. Massive Lol for when I caught one of your guys flying in the air.

Volcynika

Blood put teamkill on, and I got sniped in the back of the head by a teammate. D:

So when we in setup, I started wrench killing everyone.

Capndrake

Oldschoolgamer said:
God damn you Capndrake. :mad: We still won, but, he wouldn't let me snipe in peace in that last match. :lol

Edit: After that first cp, I thought we were going to get rolled on, but, that didn't happen. Massive Lol for when I caught one of your guys flying in the air.
I have no idea what the hell happened there, we easily won the first 5 points and then my team just began sucking. I ended up with like 106 points while the second guy had about 60.

For rocket/sticky jumping, you get maximum height/distance if you very quickly tap crouch, then jump, and then shoot/detonate. For soldiers, max height is about from the ground at the bottom of Gravelpit C to the top, for demomen max distance (What you should mostly use it for) is about from where the cart starts on Goldrush level 2 to the (Initially locked) passage to the balcony. For demo you can also practice jumping from the lowest part of the Gravelpit A area to the roof of the CP building.

firex

I'm continually amazed at the flying demoman. It's just insane. I can never do good rocket or sticky jumps though. I guess I should just start up a server and practice that.

I tried some of the spy stuff in that video and it really does work great, but I'm such a shitty spy that needs tons more practice.

Vlad

firex said:
I'm continually amazed at the flying demoman. It's just insane. I can never do good rocket or sticky jumps though. I guess I should just start up a server and practice that.

I'm not that great at it yet, but I've gotten much better results from jumping, and then setting off your explosive of choice. Doing both at the same time never seems to work for me at all.

I tried some of the spy stuff in that video and it really does work great, but I'm such a shitty spy that needs tons more practice.

What I don't get is how he gets the stabs to register from so far away. I have to be pretty much rubbing against the other person to get any melee attack from any class to hit, yet in that video it seems like he's further away than the knife could feasibly reach.

Vlad

Giganticus said:
Here's my Spy tip, which always seems to work for some reason.

If you know where an engineer is with a sentry/dispenser combo, disguise as Demoman, run backwards from your team and shout for medic. Head over to his dispenser and crouch, looking away from him. You're blending in, engineers don't often spycheck demomen doing this as they are always running away from trouble and need to reload. Now you wait for the right time (usually engineers get bored and try to shoot enemies) to sap his sentry and finish off the engineer with your revolver or a good backstab if you time it right as he runs back. If a medic does heal you, shout thanks and then run away towards your team (while disguised). If you're lucky, the medic may try and heal you through the "fight" (jump around a lot). Even luckier, you may get an uber! And if you're an asshole, you can backstab one of the enemy team while being healed to give your medic a teamkill point.

EDIT: disguising as demoman is sometimes good for ferreting out medics but it's bad for general stalking and stabbing, as you move slightly slower.

The bad thing about running backwards is that you'll end up really increasing the risk of bumping into someone on the other team, then you're really screwed.

That's probably one of the key things to keep in mind as a spy: even when you're disguised, you can't pass through enemies. So, when someone on the other team bumps into one of their teammates and can't walk through them, they're going to start shooting, and at that point you're really in trouble.

I've found that the spy is really more of a "special occasion" kind of class. They're good for taking out a key target like a sentry gun or a heavy, but the time that they spend getting into position often can be more useful in a more direct role.

Yeah. Especially with sentry farms these days.

One thing a spy is excellent at is stopping your team being pushed back. As the other team pushes, it's fairly easy to get behind them and stab their heavy hitters.

Volcynika

Last night was pretty awesome. We were running low on time in Dustbowl 2, so we decided to use what the other team did on us. MASS RUSH OF ENTIRE TEAM. We had two ubers running through there included with everyone else, and we stormed the point and finished off the cap. That's what it's all about.

DyTonic

Banned
Running backwards as a spy is so obvious and over played. Try to disguise yourself as a class that is being used a lot by the other team.

Volcynika

DyobolikaL. said:
Running backwards as a spy is so obvious and over played. Try to disguise yourself as a class that is being used a lot by the other team.

Or just be silly and disguise yourself as a class that the other team doesn't even have! I remember a spy that kept doing that, so it was a biiiiiiiit obvious.

Cheeto

Volcynika said:
Or just be silly and disguise yourself as a class that the other team doesn't even have! I remember a spy that kept doing that, so it was a biiiiiiiit obvious.
Or you can disguise as scout or medic, and wear a huge shoot me sign.

Grifter

Vlad said:
Hit up the achievement servers. I was completely against the idea of them, and ended up getting enough achievements for all the Pyro weapons through normal play eventually. However, after playing the medic for a while, it became quite obvious that there was no way I was going to get enough for all the weapons nomrally, so I went to an achievement server and got the remaining 8 or so I needed in about ten minutes.

Trying for 22 legit medic achievements has been extremely aggravating. Are people on achievement servers helpful? I need all of those silly ones like "uber a heavy and have him punch people."

fallout

Grifter said:
Trying for 22 legit medic achievements has been extremely aggravating. Are people on achievement servers helpful? I need all of those silly ones like "uber a heavy and have him punch people."
There are some that I want to be able to get on my own, like Medical Breakthrough (assist in destroying 5 enemy Engineer buildings with a single ÜberCharge on a Demoman), but seriously ... five on a single uber? I've done 3 plenty, but 5 just seems insane, unless you get really lucky on cp2 of the second part of dustbowl.

Won

I did that today. Red built 3 sentries close to each others on Dustbowl 2-2, boooom. :lol
Too bad the medic, like everyone, already farmed it.

Also did the Heavy punching twice this week, but again, everyone already farmed it. :(

Twig

Banned
Won said:
I did that today. Red built 3 sentries close to each others on Dustbowl 2-2, boooom. :lol
Too bad the medic, like everyone, already farmed it.

Also did the Heavy punching twice this week, but again, everyone already farmed it. :(
I have yet to farm a single achievement in TF2. ):<

And I have all the weapon unlocks!

EDIT: Not that there's anything wrong with using achievement servers. Anyone who actually cares about that sort of thing is an idiot. O:

It's just a matter of what's more fun for me: farming, or earning them legitimately?

Yeah.

Volcynika

Our team got rolled so badly tonight.

I was trying to be awesome and going "It's ok, I'll hold the door open in the spawn for after they get the bomb past point 1 in Goldrush 3!" Little did I know, it closes anyways and gets you STUCK in it. At least I had someone to keep me company though...

pl_goldrush0032.jpg

fallout said:
There are some that I want to be able to get on my own, like Medical Breakthrough (assist in destroying 5 enemy Engineer buildings with a single ÜberCharge on a Demoman), but seriously ... five on a single uber? I've done 3 plenty, but 5 just seems insane, unless you get really lucky on cp2 of the second part of dustbowl.

I got that achievement for a medic once. There were two Engies setting up in the right tunnel on the second stage of Dustbowl. So...there was two sentries, two dispensers, and two teleporters. Stickies took them out easily enough, he got an achievement and I got a nice note telling me that I'd broken my record for Destructions that round. Fun stuff.

Oldschoolgamer

:lol @ volcynika and sonicspeare. I was doing great on that goldrush map. Died once the entire round, right until the end. Volcynika got a headshot off because of the heavy right at our base. I had volcynika in my sights TWICE, but I couldn't decide on who to shoot...and I ate one right to the forehead. Thank goodness the team was there to stop the heavy.

Headshotting scouts is so awesome. lol

I've gotten all of my achievements myself, during battle. :mad: I just need to get my ubersaw now. The upgraded needlegun I got on my own.

Finally watched that spy video. I'm going to be using most of the tips when I play pyro. :mad:

Volcynika

Sniping is so hilarious, but you can also reallllllly wonder what the hell happened. I had consistent and on the mark headshots, and they didn't register at all. I'm glad no one got mad at me, considering usually I had to contend against two snipers, and that right there is painful. They have the drop on you, and even if you do get one, the other one will pick up and take you out.

Oh lord, how could I forget. Anyone remember the player Goten on the team I was on? :lol

Javaman

TheOneGuy said:
I have yet to farm a single achievement in TF2. ):<

And I have all the weapon unlocks!

EDIT: Not that there's anything wrong with using achievement servers. Anyone who actually cares about that sort of thing is an idiot. O:

It's just a matter of what's more fun for me: farming, or earning them legitimately?

Yeah.

Same here... I hadn't done any of the achievement farming (cept to help some people get theirs on LMS ages ago). I've unlocked all of the medic weapons, but have yet to get any of the pyro ones. I could really use the backburner, but I don't play pyro enough to make much headway. Usually I start feeling pretty useless and switch to another class I'm better at.

Won

Soooo with the little achievement talk here....how are the chances for Heavy update this thursday? We had no update at all for 3 weeks now, which is already pretty weird and I need some punching action!

Davidion

Javaman said:
I could really use the backburner, but I don't play pyro enough to make much headway. Usually I start feeling pretty useless and switch to another class I'm better at.

Oh, you'll play the pyro more once you have it. Trust me on this one. :lol

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
Same here... I hadn't done any of the achievement farming (cept to help some people get theirs on LMS ages ago). I've unlocked all of the medic weapons, but have yet to get any of the pyro ones. I could really use the backburner, but I don't play pyro enough to make much headway. Usually I start feeling pretty useless and switch to another class I'm better at.
Oh, man, I didn't even really like the pyro until I started playing after the update.

It only got better as I unlocked the flare gun, the backburner, and the axetinguisher, because people started going back to their regular classes.

Shame I have a high ping at home. But soon enough I'll be back on campus and have a ping worthy of the pyro. Woo!

Javaman said:

Just beware the people that whine about anybody using it. "It's overpowered!" "You're a n00b!" "You suck valve sux tf2 sux backburner sux winbombs sux crits sux...."

Sure, the backburner is kind o overpowered and needs a bit of tweaking. But come on people. It kind of reminds me of this Concerned strip.

FWIW, I use the bb from time to time, but I usually resort to the regular flamethrower because the air compression blast is so much fun. There's nothing quite like burning somebody and blowing them off of a high point, or juggling an uber.

Oldschoolgamer

Volcynika said:
Sniping is so hilarious, but you can also reallllllly wonder what the hell happened. I had consistent and on the mark headshots, and they didn't register at all. I'm glad no one got mad at me, considering usually I had to contend against two snipers, and that right there is painful. They have the drop on you, and even if you do get one, the other one will pick up and take you out.

Oh lord, how could I forget. Anyone remember the player Goten on the team I was on? :lol

That is the worst shit ever. It happened when I played with MicVlad (who was actually a sniper for once. 0.0) on this random ass ridiculous server full of lulz. I shot the other sniper directly in the head, and it didn't register. I died shortly after. :lol

That's why you have to be fast! :mad: Seriously though, it's kinda terrible taking on two - three snipers at the same time. You have pick the not so obvious locations and hide picking them off one by one, which sucks if they are at spawn because depending on the server, they'll be right back on the lookout. Not to mention when you have spies running around. Shit just isn't safe. :( I wish he had a semi-auto sniper rifle or something that did less damage, had no charge, but gave criticals on headshots and from behind...or something. :/

Javaman said:

I found it to be flatout boring. Besides, you learn the class better when you unlock things the proper way. The pyro's stuff are easy as hell. Just spycheck everyone, knockback rockets with air blast, toast snipers, and burn burn burn every living thing around. :lol

edit;
Won said:
Soooo with the little achievement talk here....how are the chances for Heavy update this thursday? We had no update at all for 3 weeks now, which is already pretty weird and I need some punching action!

I hope it comes and goes so my sniper can get some new toys. >:)

Oh, here's a video I uploaded awhile ago of a backstab I got on a cloaked spy. Pure luck, but utterly hilarious. Luckily, I was recording a demo that night. Sorry for the poor quality, and it's kind of hard to catch. (You can also see some bad lag at the start there.) Somebody also made a slow-mo verison for me here.

At the time, I didn't really know what happened. I had just noticed that I'd gotten a backstab on somebody, but didn't remember seeing anybody. I figured I'd just missed them in the heat of battle. Out of curiosity, I watched the demo later and saw that. Fun stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom