• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

otake said:
which viewer and server do you guys use?
I use IRFanview and tinypic.com

Also...
30krbzk.jpg

:eek:O

Sciz

Tonight's games confirmed two things for me:

1. Sometimes, there's just nothing more fun than being on a team of punching Heavies.

2. Running around building level 1 sentries like a madman is the most satisfying way to play engineer.

Capndrake

Richardfun said:
I've stumbled onto another nice server to play on, called Knifeback Mountain.
They're sort of connected to 2f2f. I used to play on it but the fact that their rotation only had like 10 maps made me look elsewhere fast.

Kade

Lhadatt said:
Giganticus said:
You didn't turn on that mat_queue_mode 2 optimisation did you? That's your problem if you did.

There's nothing wrong with how the game is running or anything, I just get bored very fast now. There was a time when I could play 8 hours if I actually had that much time, but now I just quit before the first hour finishes. The heavy update will probably get me back into the game like the pyro update did.

Capndrake said:
They're sort of connected to 2f2f. I used to play on it but the fact that their rotation only had like 10 maps made me look elsewhere fast.

Ten maps is more than enough for my liking. On 2f2f, they may have more maps in rotation but there are alot of shitty ones in that rotation. That annoys me even more than all the annoying sounds and songs that lag the game up.

Oh and Pyroteknikz, I had the same problem for quite a while. Didn't play any TF2 for about 6 months. Now I'm back. No game stays fun forever. Some last longer than others, such as WoW, but I was able to ween myself off of that digital crack addiction over time as well.

Richardfun said:
I've stumbled onto another nice server to play on, called Knifeback Mountain.
Goon UK server. It's good stuff, but sometimes can get a bit serious especially if the K^2 guys show up (the server's clan).

The really good thing about knifeback is they are very much opposed to team stacking. Usually the matches are even.

Giganticus said:
Goon UK server. It's good stuff, but sometimes can get a bit serious especially if the K^2 guys show up (the server's clan).

The really good thing about knifeback is they are very much opposed to team stacking. Usually the matches are even.

Why do you say 'goon' server? And yeah, I found the teams were really evenly matched last night.

Vlad

So, I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but I figured it was kind of a silly question and I could just figure it out for myself.

However, after reading every guide I could find, my question remains unanswered...

How do you actually, you know, kill people in this game?

Taking a quick look at my stats on Steam, it looks like I've played somewhere around 30 or so hours of this game, yet I still can't quite figure out how the hit detection/damage model works.

For instance, let's take the sticky bombs. I've seen countless references to how overpowered they are, and I know I've been blown to hell by them enough times, but is there some secret to actually getting kills with them? I've had an enemy scout standing right in the middle of a field of mine and survive just fine once they've gone off, yet been killed by being in the same room as a single one as a soldier.

The same goes for the Demo's grenades... I don't quite get how I can hit someone with four-five grenades and they're doing just fine, yet when one goes off near me, I lose about half my health.

This sort of thing happens all the time with all the classes, so I'm just looking for some possible answers. I thought it might be ping issues at first, but my ping tends to stay in the 30-40 range, and everything else is smooth otherwise.

The only thing I can think of is that the game works like BF1942 in that way. In that game, if you actually saw the effects of the damage (blood, debris from planes, etc), that actually meant you were missing most of the time. They actually patched in an indicator on the crosshair to tell you when you were making contact, it was so bad.

So, is TF2 the same way? I'm getting sick of shooting at a Demoman with the Scout's shotgun 6 times at point blank range, seeing blood fly everywhere, then have him turn around and kill me with a single grenade, and STILL have about half his health left.

Vlad said:
So, I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but I figured it was kind of a silly question and I could just figure it out for myself.

However, after reading every guide I could find, my question remains unanswered...

How do you actually, you know, kill people in this game?

Taking a quick look at my stats on Steam, it looks like I've played somewhere around 30 or so hours of this game, yet I still can't quite figure out how the hit detection/damage model works.

For instance, let's take the sticky bombs. I've seen countless references to how overpowered they are, and I know I've been blown to hell by them enough times, but is there some secret to actually getting kills with them? I've had an enemy scout standing right in the middle of a field of mine and survive just fine once they've gone off, yet been killed by being in the same room as a single one as a soldier.

The same goes for the Demo's grenades... I don't quite get how I can hit someone with four-five grenades and they're doing just fine, yet when one goes off near me, I lose about half my health.

This sort of thing happens all the time with all the classes, so I'm just looking for some possible answers. I thought it might be ping issues at first, but my ping tends to stay in the 30-40 range, and everything else is smooth otherwise.

The only thing I can think of is that the game works like BF1942 in that way. In that game, if you actually saw the effects of the damage (blood, debris from planes, etc), that actually meant you were missing most of the time. They actually patched in an indicator on the crosshair to tell you when you were making contact, it was so bad.

So, is TF2 the same way? I'm getting sick of shooting at a Demoman with the Scout's shotgun 6 times at point blank range, seeing blood fly everywhere, then have him turn around and kill me with a single grenade, and STILL have about half his health left.
With non explosive weapons if your reticule is over whoever you're trying to hit then it's a hit. With shotguns your damage still depends on you accuracy and spread, ie, if you aim towards the center of the body, you will deal more damage than if you had shot a bit off to the side. Obviously shotguns get less accurate at long ranges, the scout's shotgun more so than the engineer's. Shotguns can be deceiving since you can 'miss' deal 12~20 damage and still see blood on them, this is something that is also true with rockets and stickies, depending on how close the explosion is to the target. As an example, a rocket off to the side will deal 50 or so damage, while a direct hit will deal 100 or so.

So, no, you've just gotta work on your aim. Try stopping before you shoot, it'll help you get off a more accurate shot, doing this is specially useful with scouts. FYI, scout's shotgun deals over 90 max damage.

Vlad

PillowKnight said:
With non explosive weapons if your reticule is over whoever you're trying to hit then it's a hit. With shotguns your damage still depends on you accuracy and spread, ie, if you aim towards the center of the body, you will deal more damage than if you had shot a bit off to the side. Obviously shotguns get less accurate at long ranges, the scout's shotgun more so than the engineer's. Shotguns can be deceiving since you can 'miss' deal 12~20 damage and still see blood on them, this is something that is also true with rockets and stickies, depending on how close the explosion is to the target. As an example, a rocket off to the side will deal 50 or so damage, while a direct hit will deal 100 or so.

So, no, you've just gotta work on your aim. Try stopping before you shoot, it'll help you get off a more accurate shot, doing this is specially useful with scouts. FYI, scout's shotgun deals over 90 max damage.

See, some of these times I was right up against someone and it still happened. For instance, I played a game earlier tonight and I was following around a disguised scout and probably emptied 5 point blank shots directly into his midsection before he dropped.

Do I have to angle the shot at all to compensate for the fact that the gun is held in the right hand, or are the shots calculated as if they came from the character's center point?

Vlad said:
See, some of these times I was right up against someone and it still happened. For instance, I played a game earlier tonight and I was following around a disguised scout and probably emptied 5 point blank shots directly into his midsection before he dropped.

Do I have to angle the shot at all to compensate for the fact that the gun is held in the right hand, or are the shots calculated as if they came from the character's center point?
Never really thought about that, concentrate on the reticule, if it's over the target it's a hit. Oh and there's no way you emptied 5 point black shots into anything without it dying.

Plus, about stickies. Stickies do tonnes of damage and are overpowered in the hands of a skilled player. But the splash damage drops off very quickly over distance. A scout can most likely avoid your explosions. In fact, that's what they do very well when there are stickies on a control point.

If you're having trouble, try playing heavy or sniper or pyro or something. Those 3 classes have severe restrictions (slow, long range only, short range only respectively) so you will learn the maps, learn tactics etc.

Or alternatively, turn down mouse sensitivity a notch or two. I used to play at 10, now I play at 6. This helps a lot, especially with the scout.

Giganticus said:
Plus, about stickies. Stickies do tonnes of damage and are overpowered in the hands of a skilled player. But the splash damage drops off very quickly over distance. A scout can most likely avoid your explosions. In fact, that's what they do very well when there are stickies on a control point.

If you're having trouble, try playing heavy or sniper or pyro or something. Those 3 classes have severe restrictions (slow, long range only, short range only respectively) so you will learn the maps, learn tactics etc.

Or alternatively, turn down mouse sensitivity a notch or two. I used to play at 10, now I play at 6. This helps a lot, especially with the scout.
What!? I play at two. Didn't think many people played higher.

Edit : nevermind, I play at 3.8.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Why is it that the more I play this game I love it more! Now I am just playing engineer man they are fucking awesome!

n0b

Confidence Man said:
I didn't realize anyone played with sensitivity that low. I play at 18. :O
Yeah, I don't understand it either, I use 13 minimum, but sometimes I feel it needs to be higher.

Must be the whole mouse difference giganticus was talking about. On my mouse 18 means the tiniest of movement sends my viewpoint flying around.

I put mine around 5.3, and that gives me plenty of control. Anything above 8, and I can't control it. It lets me pull of quick and accurate 180 degree turns without a problem. I'm sure it has to do with a lot of factors, including the mouse you have.

Sciz

Never before have I been able to gank so many unsuspecting foes in such a short time. Then everyone went pyro and scout. :(

Also, autobalance hates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom