• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Revenge
1zczwpu.jpg

This pic is full of awesome
2mpbptx.jpg

Davidion

I liked it when Cheeto rocket jumped atop a storage container, I rocket jump to take him out, and before I land we each rocket each other in the face and die.

Good times.

SenseiJinx said:
Heh, I don't think it has too much to do with your mouse sensitivity!

HUSH

Xizk said:
I used like 13 when I played with an old mouse. Now it's around 3-5 on a mx518.

D: That's also the mouse I'm using.

I played on 7.0 tonight, results not great, but not bad. I might try to go above 10 just to see if I can adjust.

Rlan

I saw a new exploit in the weekend.

CTF_Well - Demomen, if you lay 2 grenades on the small bridges across the water, can explode themselves all the way to the top of the level. They can either sit up on an invisible plane, or actually make their way into the outside area and shoot shit down :(

Volcynika

Rlan said:
I saw a new exploit in the weekend.

CTF_Well - Demomen, if you lay 2 grenades on the small bridges across the water, can explode themselves all the way to the top of the level. They can either sit up on an invisible plane, or actually make their way into the outside area and shoot shit down :(

Let Valve know! Or something.

Also, :lol at some of the people tonight. I love being told how to play the game when I know full well how to handle a situation. "Spy pyro" "Well shoot him!" "He's invisible" "Use your machine gun!" "....he's not even near me." And also, "YA GOTTA SHOOT!" "2 MINUTES LEFT" "1 MINUTE LEFT"

Even Java got pissed off at people bitching when he was like the only medic.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
BTW Have you guys seen this modified pic that was but in Kotaku yesterday? ITS FUCKING AWESOME! I wish I could change my avatar to the Heavy joker pic!

b4b6og.jpg

Vlad

PillowKnight said:
Never really thought about that, concentrate on the reticule, if it's over the target it's a hit.

I think that was my main problem. For some reason, the fact that the weapon model was off to the right was making me subconsciously aim to the left, since it felt that at close range, the shots would be going to the right of my target if I had the crosshair right on them.

Makes me miss the Quake/Doom days of the gun model being right in the center of the screen :).

Ever since I've been focusing on the reticule more than the weapon model, I've been doing much better.

But as long as I'm asking stupid questions, here's a general strategy one that's been bugging me for almost as long as I've been playing the game... Is there some reason you wouldn't want to stand on a point that's being capped if you're trying to defend it? It seems like whenever I'm defending on something like Dustbowl, I'm the only person rushing towards the last point when it's being taken. My thinking has always been that even if I don't take out the attackers, I'll at least delay the capture long enough for my teammates to show up and finish the job, since the capture won't progress as long as I'm standing on the point.

However, once I end up dying, I cycle through my teammates in spectator mode, and without fail, not a single one of them is ever attempting to set foot on the point. Sure, they're often hanging way back and shooting at the attackers, but it just seems like it'd be more effective to just rush the hell out of the point and overwhelm them.

The samething goes for Payload-style maps, as well. Sure, in the beginning you need a few people to run around and clear/distract the defenders, but most of the time I end up nudging the cart forward while everybody else is playing a deathmatch.

Am I missing some well-known strategy here, or is this just one of those all-too-common cases of public-server idiocy?

Oh, and is there a faster way to mute someone than by going to the Mute Player menu on the main screen?

Vlad, unfortunately a majority of the people play that way, and yes, you are right. Pisses me off as well when I kamikaze into a point, just to delay the capture, and then see my suicide run be for nothing because there isn't any follow-through.

Sciz

Vlad said:
Am I missing some well-known strategy here, or is this just one of those all-too-common cases of public-server idiocy?

Oh, and is there a faster way to mute someone than by going to the Mute Player menu on the main screen?
It's the latter. There's a reason why the characters automatically yell at the rest of the team to stand on the point. And no, there's no quicker way to mute.

Javaman

The only legit reason I can think of for not jumping on a point being captured is if you are a medic seconds away from having an ubercharge. You can heal defenders on the point, but if you were to run in and get killed the uber progress would be worthless. This is extremely rare though and most people are just too chicken to rush a point loaded with enemies.

Yeah Volcanako, that guy was a doofus. It's pretty rare I get irritated by someone but he did a good job of rubbing me the wrong way. He was complaining that I was getting ready to uber a heavy to attack the last dustbowl point, but in reality I was healing the most heavily damaged people. I guess he was pissy because I wasn't catering to his constant "medic" spamming.

Regarding the point discussion, yeah, if there's no one on the point anyone around should get on asap. Those guys were likely newbies who didn't know better.

On the other hand, if the point is being captured but is being blocked, you should not jump on it. Having multiple people blocking a point captures makes you all prime targets for crits, it also makes it more likely that you'll all be blown to bits by stickies, or get ambushed by a pyro. Basically, unless you're a pyro, if the capture's being blocked don't jump in, but do stay by the side lines ready to take up the capture block.

Vlad

PillowKnight said:
Regarding the point discussion, yeah, if there's no one on the point anyone around should get on asap. Those guys were likely newbies who didn't know better.

On the other hand, if the point is being captured but is being blocked, you should not jump on it. Having multiple people blocking a point captures makes you all prime targets for crits, it also makes it more likely that you'll all be blown to bits by stickies, or get ambushed by a pyro. Basically, unless you're a pyro, if the capture's being blocked don't jump in, but do stay by the side lines ready to take up the capture block.

Eh, I don't know how well that would work, though. Sure, you MIGHT all get blown up, but if you hang back, then the point will get a little more captured in the time it takes to get over there to start blocking again. This would seem to be doubly important on the the later, quicker-capping points.

It just seems to me that it'd be a priority to get everybody possible over on the point to make sure it stays blocked and to help anybody else in the area clear out the opposing team.

It might just be how I end up playing... on Payload maps I'll often end up getting killed time after time just to nudge the cart forward a few feet each time. Sure, each individual push isn't all that helpful, but it keeps the thing from moving backwards and the short distances can add up over time, and help get past a tricky choke point.

Simple 3 question test to see if you need to defend point.

1. Are you a medic? If yes, go to 2. If no, go to 3.
2. Is there someone else on the point you can heal? If no, get on point.
3. Is there a heavy or soldier on the point? If no, get on point. If yes, you might need to get on point anyway.

EDIT: also try and stay as far off the point as possible while still being in the capture zone, this reduces nade and rocket splash damage to your person whilst preventing a cap.

Vlad said:
Eh, I don't know how well that would work, though. Sure, you MIGHT all get blown up, but if you hang back, then the point will get a little more captured in the time it takes to get over there to start blocking again. This would seem to be doubly important on the the later, quicker-capping points.

It just seems to me that it'd be a priority to get everybody possible over on the point to make sure it stays blocked and to help anybody else in the area clear out the opposing team.

It might just be how I end up playing... on Payload maps I'll often end up getting killed time after time just to nudge the cart forward a few feet each time. Sure, each individual push isn't all that helpful, but it keeps the thing from moving backwards and the short distances can add up over time, and help get past a tricky choke point.
Ah maybe I wasn't clear enough. You don't just ignore the point, you stand by it shooting in, hence why I stated "Jump in". It's really a win-win sort of tactic, and it saves you from having to enter the melee that is the point. Honestly, this isn't something that's up for debate, if you observe experienced players you'll see that they never crowd around a point, they generally stick to the sidelines and deal with the opposition form the outside, assuming someone's on it that is.

Cart wise, this is also true, pushing little by little is pretty hit or miss. Generally, i'm against it, but sometimes it can pay off.

Volcynika

Last night sucked, my internet was lagging horribly, and my ping kept spiking up randomly, so it made the game near unplayable at points. :/

And I realize one of the people playing last night Java knew, but he was incredibly annoying at points. Abusing mic chat and going "PUSH THE CART PUSH THE CART PUSH THE CART" and whenever we did move on "Finally, we should've had that a long time ago" and "USE THE CART AS A SHIELD, JUST PUSH IT" got so irritating. Carts may help protect against sentry fire, but pyro players say "screw you" and can still burn you.

Argh.

Javaman

Volcynika said:
Last night sucked, my internet was lagging horribly, and my ping kept spiking up randomly, so it made the game near unplayable at points. :/

And I realize one of the people playing last night Java knew, but he was incredibly annoying at points. Abusing mic chat and going "PUSH THE CART PUSH THE CART PUSH THE CART" and whenever we did move on "Finally, we should've had that a long time ago" and "USE THE CART AS A SHIELD, JUST PUSH IT" got so irritating. Carts may help protect against sentry fire, but pyro players say "screw you" and can still burn you.

Argh.

I'm not sure who that was. The only ones I knew from last night were Pillowknight, Zero, and you.

I've tried to bind my forward key to also cheer. It doesn't seem to work right now but I do like the idea of the "singing heavy" gimmick. IT WILL HAPPEN.

Valve announced today that the "Heavy Update," which it describes as "the largest update to Team Fortress 2 since it was first released," will be rolling out via Steam next week, August 19. The Heavy-focused revision will bring with it new maps, new Achievements, new game modes and a special installment of the "Meet the Team" video series. We're assuming that means the Heavy class will finally get his new weapon load out, as the Medic and Pyro have already done.

The developer is dolling out details on the Heavy Update throughout the week, with today's news drip focusing on a new officially released community map. Steel, a capture map, was created by Jamie "Fishbus" Manson.

:)

"In addition to the three unlockable weapons and thirty-five achievements for the Heavy, we've got a new game mode with five new maps for it, a new Payload map focusing on more open spaces than Goldrush, and another popular community-made map. Throughout the rest of the week we'll be giving you the details on all this, and if all goes well, you'll have your hands on it shortly afterwards."

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
omgimaninja said:
Valve announced today that the "Heavy Update," which it describes as "the largest update to Team Fortress 2 since it was first released," will be rolling out via Steam next week, August 19. The Heavy-focused revision will bring with it new maps, new Achievements, new game modes and a special installment of the "Meet the Team" video series. We're assuming that means the Heavy class will finally get his new weapon load out, as the Medic and Pyro have already done.

The developer is dolling out details on the Heavy Update throughout the week, with today's news drip focusing on a new officially released community map. Steel, a capture map, was created by Jamie "Fishbus" Manson.

"In addition to the three unlockable weapons and thirty-five achievements for the Heavy, we've got a new game mode with five new maps for it, a new Payload map focusing on more open spaces than Goldrush, and another popular community-made map. Throughout the rest of the week we'll be giving you the details on all this, and if all goes well, you'll have your hands on it shortly afterwards."
Yessssss

tiong_fi

Valve time confirmed. Let's hope they don't screw this one up like they did with the medic patch.

Doytch

HOLEEE SHITTTTTTT

^^ That's if the five new maps aren't just ctf_well type maps (ie, current maps with different game modes).

Oh god, just read about open spaces Payload map, yeessssss.

Won

Doytch said:
^^ That's if the five new maps aren't just ctf_well type maps (ie, current maps with different game modes).

Don't do that..... :(

But I expect a mode that doesn't require big and complicated maps.

Bunny

omgimaninja said:

my video card recently borked, FUCK!
i won't be playing for a while :(

Sciz

Volcynika said:
Who will duel me in snipers now?

Excluding PillowKnight
You've still got Drake to play with.

I suppose this update also includes the new environment they were talking about in the last update. So much stuff. <3

n0b

TheOneGuy said:
sevenmapstotalsixstraightfromvalveholyshit
theydidntsaysevenmapstheyonlysaidtwoandthensaidfivearenaswhichcouldbelikethestagesinhydroforallweknowbutheavyheavywhirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

SyNapSe

Sounds like a sweet update. You've got to love the companies like Blizz and Valve that will support a game for years and years for the fans. Keeping things live and interesting.. Clearly its worked for them in the long run.

Won

n0b said:
theydidntsaysevenmapstheyonlysaidtwoandthensaidfivearenaswhichcouldbeliketh estagesinhydroforallweknowbutheavyheavywhirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrr

Yeah I'm writing a mail to Gabe right now!

"6 nu mäps? R u 4 reel?"

Can't wait for the response!

Twig

Banned
"we've got a new game mode with five new maps for it"

That's not "arenas". That's "maps"!

If he misspoke that's a different thing entirely. But for now, five MAPS it is.

REJOICE.

EDIT: Okay, just read the blog. I assume "arenas" means it's a deathmatch type thing.

Sad.

zoku88

Have people been playing on the Love Me Sexy server lately? I haven't seen it populated for a while... maybe I just checked at the wrong times :(

n0b

TheOneGuy said:
"we've got a new game mode with five new maps for it"

That's not "arenas". That's "maps"!

If he misspoke that's a different thing entirely. But for now, five MAPS it is.

REJOICE.

EDIT: Okay, just read the blog. I assume "arenas" means it's a deathmatch type thing.

Sad.
Thank you for reading the actual source, even though it took you a while. :p

If it really is 7 maps, I'm all for it, but they specifically said arenas and not maps in that case, and honestly if they had 6 maps ready I think they would save them so they can bring updates out regularly.

Won

Botolf said:
So what's the IP of the server that Gaf likes to frequent now?

Theoretically 216.6.226.211:27015

As mentioned often empty. We still hope that EviLore will remove the password from the GAF server. DO YOU HEAR US, EVILORE?

And I don't think anyone believed in 5 Goldrush or even Granary like maps, but it is still nice to see that whatever they want to deilver, they deliver it with the necessary base content, as weak as it may be.

Twig

Banned
n0b said:
Thank you for reading the actual source, even though it took you a while. :p

If it really is 7 maps, I'm all for it, but they specifically said arenas and not maps in that case, and honestly if they had 6 maps ready I think they would save them so they can bring updates out regularly.
The way it was phrased suggests arenas = maps in this case.

I don't think it's a hydro type situation.

But I'd be glad if it was. Hydro is sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom