• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Botolf said:
I've been playing in Medium forever out of necessity, looks good enough for me! :p

Sure, it was fine on Medium, and the game looked great. But all the sudden I'm like "whoa, I can read what the blackboards and posters say!". It's not really major, but the increase in graphical fidelity was enough to make me say "wait, I've been playing on Medium for all this time?!".

benjipwns

Banned
Sciz said:
Also spent a good portion of one of those Dustbowl games doing nothing but backstabbing spies.
Lies! I'd say you got me at least four or five times on each of the three parts.

I was the idiot playing Engineer as BLU and accomplishing nothing of any use. :lol

firex

oh god, I had an awesome death on badwater earlier. I ran into stickies, but instead of getting blown up, I got launched off the map and died from the fall.

Volcynika

Spotless Mind said:
I was contemplating it at one point as well. :lol You were dominating me for a while there. Grrr...

:lol

Hell, I dominated more people as a pyro last night, because me + backburner + tons of people by the cart = a fun time!

Sibylus

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
Sure, it was fine on Medium, and the game looked great. But all the sudden I'm like "whoa, I can read what the blackboards and posters say!". It's not really major, but the increase in graphical fidelity was enough to make me say "wait, I've been playing on Medium for all this time?!".
Yea, everything save text works well on medium.

Twig

Banned
Even if it still looks good on medium, once you make the switch to the highest settings... holy shit.

I want my desktop back. My laptop just doesn't cut it. ):

I now can't play anything less than "mat_picmip -5". I kinda perfer the highest, "mat_picmip -10", or very super duper high :D . Just for reference, "mat_picmip -1" is the normal Very High.

Looks so beautiful...

Twig

Banned
Sciz said:
On principle, I'll sacrifice nearly everything else before I lower texture detail in any game. Clarity is king.
I go for resolution, followed by AA.

Unfortunately, turning up either on my laptop causes a severe fps drop. I'm not sure why, as I swear before I installed Linux on it a while back (and then reinstalled Windows more recently), I could run it on medium settings without any problem.

Not anymore, though. ):

Oreoleo

Sciz said:
On principle, I'll sacrifice nearly everything else before I lower texture detail in any game. Clarity is king.

Funny. If I'm getting low FPS texture will be the one of the first things I turn down. Like Twig said, Resolution is key. If I want to see jaggies I'll go play 360. Though sometimes it works to drop resolution down low and crank AA way up (How I played through FEAR the first time on my 6800, running it in 800x600).

aznpxdd

Alaskanbullworm said:
I now can't play anything less than "mat_picmip -5". I kinda perfer the highest, "mat_picmip -10", or very super duper high :D . Just for reference, "mat_picmip -1" is the normal Very High.

Looks so beautiful...

;O

Didn't know this before!

TF2.gif

n0b

I don't get how you could sacrifice resolution and AA last...whats the point in playing without jaggies if the game is ugly as shit?

Oreoleo

n0b said:
I don't get how you could sacrifice resolution and AA last...whats the point in playing without jaggies if the game is ugly as shit?

Um because it's a hypothetical situation that I haven't had to worry about in a long while (Read: I have an awesome computer that runs everything (barring Crysis) just about perfect maxxed out). Sciz talks about clarity with texture but I don't know, I'm more concerned about image fidelity. The difference in Crysis at 1080p vs 720p on my HDTV is MUCH MUCH more obvious than dropping textures from high to medium.

Edit:
aznpxdd said:
Holy shit, I am going to go change that RIGHT. NOW.

Botolf said:
Yea, everything save text works well on medium.

The clarity of the textures in Very High over Medium is actually pretty significant. It's not enough to absolutely change the look of the game, sure, but it does look significantly better.

Sibylus

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Even if it still looks good on medium, once you make the switch to the highest settings... holy shit.

I want my desktop back. My laptop just doesn't cut it. ):
It'll be fun turning everything up when I eventually build myself a gaming PC, but for now I can live with medium texture settings.

Kind of funny because I can't tolerate medium on other Source games.

Won

Ysiadmihi said:
I had a pretty good run as Sniper today, which I usually suck at. Thank god for Badwater Basin :lol

Playing Sniper on Badwater is just insane. Didn't really play as a Sniper in a long time, but 30 minutes on Badwater and I was able to crown myself as the king of the map.

Sibylus

Banned
SenseiJinx said:
The clarity of the textures in Very High over Medium is actually pretty significant. It's not enough to absolutely change the look of the game, sure, but it does look significantly better.
Of course, I'm just commenting on the fact that medium textures are something I'm rarely catching myself thinking "damn that looks bad". Probably to due with the minimalistic style or something, I dunno.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Botolf said:
Of course, I'm just commenting on the fact that medium textures are something I'm rarely catching myself thinking "damn that looks bad". Probably to due with the minimalistic style or something, I dunno.

You know, I'm the same way and can deal with medium for awhile until I see a sign or something that just looks terrible. Sooooooo blurry.

Botolf said:

Yeah, nothing looks bad on medium. Apparently I've been playing it on medium for nearly a year without even noticing, so that's a testament that it still looks great under those settings. But it's still quite an improvement.

Sciz

Orellio said:
Sciz talks about clarity with texture but I don't know, I'm more concerned about image fidelity.
Textures are just what really sell me on a game's graphics. Quake with a high res texture pack (and some added particle effects and lighting) looks great, as far as I'm concerned.

I eagerly await the day where we have games in which I can stick the camera right up against any arbitrary object and still have it be detailed instead of degenerating into a filtered blob. Not coincidentally, id Tech 5 is the coolest gaming tech I've heard about in years.

aznpxdd

Sciz said:
Textures are just what really sell me on a game's graphics. Quake with a high res texture pack (and some added particle effects and lighting) looks great, as far as I'm concerned.

I eagerly await the day where we have games in which I can stick the camera right up against any arbitrary object and still have it be detailed instead of degenerating into a filtered blob. Not coincidentally, id Tech 5 is the coolest gaming tech I've heard about in years.

Crysis my friend, Crysis.

Sciz

I would worry about Crysis if I thought my X1600 had any chance of running it on even medium settings, much less high.

Trax416 said:
So I am addicted to CP_steel yet can't find any good servers with it running.

Best map in the game IMO.

Yeah, I love steel.

I hang out at the teamfortress2fort.com servers most of the time, and they've currently got a 24/7 Badwater/Steel server going. Their servers are usually great to play on, a lot of good players, friendly people.

Here's the IP:

74.63.65.83:27015

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dang, Heavy was my least played class before the update(only around 20 minutes played) but now he's already my 5th played class, he's really fun to play. I just got the KBG earlier too, really cool to use after you win and cause havoc.

Still, it seems like the Medic achievements are waaaay harder than either the pyro or the heavy, I only have the blutsauger and doubt I'll be able to get more.

Volcynika

Papercuts said:
Dang, Heavy was my least played class before the update(only around 20 minutes played) but now he's already my 5th played class, he's really fun to play. I just got the KBG earlier too, really cool to use after you win and cause havoc.

Still, it seems like the Medic achievements are waaaay harder than either the pyro or the heavy, I only have the blutsauger and doubt I'll be able to get more.

Yeah, since the Medic achievements were the first set from Valve, there's a lot of stuff that's kinda dumb and doesn't lead to good teamplay. They fixed it with the pyro and heavy for the most part, though.

zer0das

Banned
If I dump another 5 hours into medic I'll finally get my uber saw (two achievements left and I have two easy ones to unlock that just take time). I'm not particularly enthusiastic about that. :p

I doubt I'll bother to get the heavy weapons either. I've played heavy all of 5 hours because with snipers and spies walking around they are highly situational in my opinion (heavies are a lot stronger on defense, yeah). Although heavy is also the class that I get the highest average score and damage with so it's more personal preference than anything. The fact that I only play them in situations where it's obvious they would do well might have something to do with that.

Sibylus

Banned
Question that's been looming in the back of my mind forever:

As a medic, how does one ubercharge two teammates at once?

I'm two achievements away from unlocking the Ubersaw, and this sounds like it should be easy-ish.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Botolf said:
Question that's been looming in the back of my mind forever:

As a medic, how does one ubercharge two teammates at once?

I'm two achievements away from unlocking the Ubersaw, and this sounds like it should be easy-ish.

über one of your teammates, switch to another, switch to another etc...

You need to switch teammates fast for it to work but you'll get it eventually. It's a weird achievment.

Sibylus

Banned
Mistouze said:

You need to switch teammates fast for it to work but you'll get it eventually. It's a weird achievment.
Ah. I tried that a few times, guess I didn't switch enough :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I rarely play 2fort, and earlier I reminded myself why. Only about 8 or 9 people, but the BLU team had a completely insane medic using the blutsauger, he was dominating and killing heavies and everything. I nailed him with the backburner but he instantly pulled a 180 and killed me, I tried a bunch of different classes until a well timed backstab was the only thing that worked, and it was the only time he died.

Then he went demo and trapped people in spawn with sticky bombs. Fun. They had a scout who had the final piece of intel and was just running around while engineers built sentries at the spawn too, literally impossible to have left it. Even charging an uber didn't work because the sentries and sticky bombs shot you back and the door closed.

rostocker

So what is the best way to get TF2 cheap? I can get it on Steam for 16€, but is there a better price in the world (UK, US or somewhere else)? I need this game! NAO!

Capndrake

Mistouze said:

It should be noted that you can't just rapidly mash the left mouse button to switch, you have to do it calmly and try to click once per switch. Just get two people to stand still, if you don't mind wasting an uber you can just do it during setup (I did it on two afk people in the spawn on Goldrush :lol)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
How would a person fare in TF2 if they started playing it now? I am a pretty good FPS gamer, but I am a bit unsure if TF2 would be worth it at this point since I am so far behind.

Javaman

rostocker said:
But I already own HL2, EP1 and finished Portal. Meh, I think I have to swallow the bitter sweet pill :D

Yeah, that's what most of us faced when the Orange box came out. It sucked buying those games again, but most people just gifted their extra copies (HL1 and ep1) to someone else who didn't have it.

Won

DenogginizerOS said:
How would a person fare in TF2 if they started playing it now? I am a pretty good FPS gamer, but I am a bit unsure if TF2 would be worth it at this point since I am so far behind.

TF2 is always worth it! No really, TF2 is not like most other shooters. Just a bit common sense, bit observing other players and as long you know how to get the crosshair over your enemy you are good to go.

Cheeto

DenogginizerOS said:
As long as you don't get discouraged when you're learning. I would suggest playing on Instant Respawn servers...they aren't really the best for competitive play, because they kind of break the objectives, but when you're learning they are great because you jump right back in as soon as you die...so there is less frustration.

Javaman said:
Yeah, that's what most of us faced when the Orange box came out. It sucked buying those games again, but most people just gifted their extra copies (HL1 and ep1) to someone else who didn't have it.

The Orange Box was still a fantastic deal, even if you already had HL2 and Ep.1. One of the best multiplayer games ever, an ingenious and hilarious puzzle game, and the next chapter in the best FPS series? I would have payed twice as much for that package.

Don't worry, you'll catch up quick. Also, this game is fun even if you suck at it, unlike the majority of online FPSs. But even then, there's going to be a class that you're good at, guaranteed.

But I already own HL2, EP1 and finished Portal. Meh, I think I have to swallow the bitter sweet pill

Wait, are you interested in Ep.2? (Which you should be, since it's the best Half-Life 2 game to date.) If you've already played HL2, Ep.1, and Portal and you're just interested in TF2 and Ep.2 now, just buy them separately. The Orange Box is $40, but TF2 is $20 and Ep.2 is $15. You'll save $5.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom