• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

firex said:
I'll buy it and preload it as soon as it's available on the steam store.

Yeah judging by the few responses so far if they do a $5 off preload bonus like they did with Orange Box it will be hard to turn down.

Sciz

Orellio said:
Wrong topic, I know, but are any GAF TF2 regulars planning on picking up Left 4 Dead?
Yes.

Ysiadmihi said:
After Portal, I've learned to stop spending money on Valve games just because they're...Valve games. I'll wait and see how it turns out.
Funny, the three new titles in the Orange Box were what guaranteed my purchase of any future Valve games.

Volcynika

Orellio said:
Wrong topic, I know, but are any GAF TF2 regulars planning on picking up Left 4 Dead? I'm still not quite sold on it (mostly due to the focus on co-op) but if a substantial number of you are going to buy it I'd be much more inclined to purchase.

Hells yeah I am. Pre-load that.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Man...the pyro's achievements were fun as hell to get. I've been working on getting the new gun for the heavy, and this shit seems to be more annoying than anything. Maybe it's because I don't play that class much, but, some of these achievements are fucking retarded. WTF would I want to waste an uber to taunt and take a snapshot of it?

I've got:

-Iron Kurtain
-Red Oktoberfest
-Rasputin
-Crock Block
-Heavy Industry
-Vanguard Party
-Marxman

I just want the new items, don't really give a fuck about the achievements. But geeze... I hope the other updates are a lot more fun than this shit. :|

Twig

Banned
Sciz said:
Yes.

Funny, the three new titles in the Orange Box were what guaranteed my purchase of any future Valve games.
Pretty much.

Kak just has...

<_<

>_>

BAD TASTE.

O_O

(I'll be getting L4D. No question.)

Oreoleo

That's what the achievement servers are for son. Though the only one I actually farmed was killing the 40 scouts with Natascha.

TheOneGuy said:
Pretty much.

Kak just has...

<_<

>_>

BAD TASTE.

O_O

Holy cripes I had no idea that was him.

Sciz

Oldschoolgamer said:
WTF would I want to waste an uber to taunt and take a snapshot of it?
It's like the Medic and Pyro achievements, you have to give someone a freezecam shot of you taunting. Just while uber. Do it after clearing the last guy off a CP you're defending or something.

Anyway, just keep playing. If you're using the class right, you'll pick up everything in time, short of stuff like the taunt kill.

Oldschoolgamer

Orellio said:
That's what the achievement servers are for son. Though the only one I actually farmed was killing the 40 scouts with Natascha.

I utterly refuse to use an achievement server. You don't get better by taking turns standing around shooting at each other.

Sciz said:
It's like the Medic and Pyro achievements, you have to give someone a freezecam shot of you taunting. Just while uber. Do it after clearing the last guy off a CP you're defending or something.

Anyway, just keep playing. If you're using the class right, you'll pick up everything in time, short of stuff like the taunt kill.

Guess so. I want to get proficient at them all, so I guess I need to put in work with the heavy. lol :/

Oreoleo

Oldschoolgamer said:
I utterly refuse to use an achievement server. You don't get better by taking turns standing around shooting at each other.

No but it saves you the frustration you seem to be experiencing. I only hopped on the achievement server when actually getting the achievements went from being a fun meta-game to a bit of a grind for the 3rd item.

fallout

I'd like to see Valve unlock all the weapons for the previously updated class whenever they release a new update. Like, don't give everyone the achievements, just the weapons. I like getting achievements, but I really hate having to get them in order to make the class I'm playing more useful. I've been playing the pyro quite a bit lately, but I'm nowhere near getting the backburner (not that I want it that badly, but it'd be fun to try out at least once).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Akia said:
I'll send you another guest pass so you can play for another 3 days. If you need it just let me know.
Ok, thanks! I ordered OB off of Amazon for 29.99 with free shipping. I may get it by Thursday or Friday but if I need the pass, I will let you know.

firex

Oldschoolgamer said:

Guess so. I want to get proficient at them all, so I guess I need to put in work with the heavy. lol :/
I used achievementbox to get my pyro upgrades and it really doesn't matter to me. I've outdone every score I got on achievementbox through normal play anyway. It just makes the annoying achievements easier to get out of the way.

Oreoleo

DenogginizerOS said:
What server are you guys using now regularly?

LoveMeSexy
216.6.226.211:27015

F7Lans
69.61.110.70:27015

Cheeto #1
75.150.178.18:27016

Cheeto 24/7 Arena
75.150.178.18:27015

CircleX Gaming #1
67.222.138.70:27015

Oldschoolgamer

Got the Sandvich. Haven't used it yet though. I don't feel as safe without the shotty by my side. lol. Kinda got the hang of him now, I should get the others in do time.

I saw the video, but, do you have to aim his gun taunt really close to the person? I can't get it to work right.

My bad during the arena matches. When I shot at Kak the first time the game froze and I had to restart by hitting the button my case. The next time I got kicked for some reason, and another time the shit just froze on me for like 6 seconds, and I died. :lol

I do a lot better in teams than in Arena. heh.

So, earlier today I pulled off the most insane shot, where I killed a sniper who was flying away without being able to see him. At which point I though to myself "Holy shit, I wish I had a video of this to show off."

What are the odds of valve adding in some after the fact video recording? At the very least an option to save a demo after a round, there are so many awesome moments that I wish I could go back and watch, it's terrible that all I have to show for them are a bunch of scoreboard screen shots.

PillowKnight said:
So, earlier today I pulled off the most insane shot, where I killed a sniper who was flying away without being able to see him. At which point I though to myself "Holy shit, I wish I had a video of this to show off."

What are the odds of valve adding in some after the fact video recording? At the very least an option to save a demo after a round, there are so many awesome moments that I wish I could go back and watch, it's terrible that all I have to show for them are a bunch of scoreboard screen shots.

Heh, you could just always be recording demos.

Although, I've found that when I do record I play horribly, and when I don't record I pull off something spectacular. Figures.

Except for the time where I got a backstab on an invisible spy. I was recording that night.

Also in slow-mo.

Oreoleo

Oldschoolgamer said:
I saw the video, but, do you have to aim his gun taunt really close to the person? I can't get it to work right.

Your aiming reticule has to be dead on the person you're trying to get, but you can be a body length or two away and hit them.
Shortly after the heavy update 6 of us or so were goofing around on LMS doing only gun taunt kills for a half hour or so. Good times.

Just found this gem reading the TF2 forums :
"How Crits Work"

tl;dr version. How well a player is doing in a round is irrelevant to crit rate. What does affect crit rates are killing sprees. Basically, after a certain amount of damage(It seems to be 800)your crit rate increases by about 4 times it's normal value. This elevated crit rate then lasts a certain amount of time depending on which weapon is equipped(10 seconds for the rocket launcher). Dealing more damage does reset this timer, so the player can essentially create an infinite high crit rate assuming there are enough people to kill. Crit rates max out at 20%.

Robin Walker said:
The way the crits work is... it sums up the amount of damage you've done in the last 20 seconds, and the more damage you've done the higher your crit chance is, and it caps out I think it's around 20%. What this means is as you do well, you are essentially earning a very short term bonus, if you happen to kill 2 or 3 enemies in rapid succession then that means you have, you know, somewhere less than 20 seconds of bonus right now that you really should go and use, and if you hang back right now or go on the defensive then you're sort of wasting the short term bonus. And so it's a larger offensive incentive essentially. In our interior playtesting where everyone understands exactly how they work, we see a lot of positive results with that, and the thing we're going to experiment with next is making that bonus more visible to players both to your enemies and to yourself. We think the result to that will be that players will start to use that as a game mechanic, and we still want to explore that I think. We'll see how people react to that once we get that out there."

Won

Ahh making it visible to the enemies was probably the reason why the rumored crit gauge wasn't released yet. I like the idea, but I always wondered how much it changes the game, if I'm the only person who knows that I'm now more dangerous.
Will be interesting to see with what they come up.

Davidion

PillowKnight said:
Just found this gem reading the TF2 forums :
"How Crits Work"

tl;dr version. How well a player is doing in a round is irrelevant to crit rate. What does affect crit rates are killing sprees. Basically, after a certain amount of damage(It seems to be 800)your crit rate increases by about 4 times it's normal value. This elevated crit rate then lasts a certain amount of time depending on which weapon is equipped(10 seconds for the rocket launcher). Dealing more damage does reset this timer, so the player can essentially create an infinite high crit rate assuming there are enough people to kill. Crit rates max out at 20%.

I've went on a couple of ragers (pretty sure other GAFers were there) as a heavy recently and these killing sprees seemed to operate in line with this design. It "felt" infinitely easy to mow down crowds of three or four enemies if you had a couple of kills immediately before hand.

It's harder to replicate this with other classes but I'm sure other Pyros/soldiers/demos have had similar experiences as well and can validate with their own experiences.

Capndrake

Orellio said:
LoveMeSexy
216.6.226.211:27015

F7Lans
69.61.110.70:27015

Cheeto #1
75.150.178.18:27016

Cheeto 24/7 Arena
75.150.178.18:27015

CircleX Gaming #1
67.222.138.70:27015
Hey now, don't forget the best ones:

2fort2furious (All maps + tons of great customs)
67.18.19.3:27015

2fort2furious3 (Arena, 5 official maps + 2 custom)
67.18.19.5:27015

2fort2furious2 is 24/7 Mario Kart, trust me if you haven't played that map - You don't want to. All three 2f2f servers feature a jukebox where you can upload music if you're registered on their forums (Micspamming gets you automuted so no need to worry about that), and you can Goomba stomp (Instant kill) enemies by jumping directly on top of them.

There's also Terrible Maps Tuesday or Thursday every week (On the main server), where they take 10+ of the absolute worst new maps on FPSBanana and make everyone suffer through them. Much hilarity ensues.

Davidion

Capndrake said:

2fort2furious2 is 24/7 Mario Kart, trust me if you haven't played that map - You don't want to. All three 2f2f servers feature a jukebox where you can upload music if you're registered on their forums (Micspamming gets you automuted so no need to worry about that), and you can Goomba stomp (Instant kill) enemies by jumping directly on top of them.

There's also Terrible Maps Tuesday or Thursday every week (On the main server), where they take 10+ of the absolute worst new maps on FPSBanana and make everyone suffer through them. Much hilarity ensues.

D:

I miss 2fort2furious.

Oreoleo

Capndrake said:

LMAO I didn't know about that. The only reason I didn't list 2f2f is because there's rarely if ever more than one or two GAFfers on their servers at a time. It is a quality server though.

Davidion

Orellio said:
Wrong topic, I know, but are any GAF TF2 regulars planning on picking up Left 4 Dead? I'm still not quite sold on it (mostly due to the focus on co-op) but if a substantial number of you are going to buy it I'd be much more inclined to purchase.

Missed this earlier, but I'm already all over L4D.

I fully expect to see large portions of the "official" GAF TF2 mob to pick up L4D. :lol

Cheeto

Orellio said:
One of my servers will definately switch to a left 4 dead server when it comes out.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Davidion said:
Crap, I mean your email address. :lol
I am not sure how he did it, but MrBob was able to send me one via Steam without my email. I am in the GAF community on Steam. See if there is a way to do it that way. If not, I will PM you.

Davidion

DenogginizerOS said:
I am not sure how he did it, but MrBob was able to send me one via Steam without my email. I am in the GAF community on Steam. See if there is a way to do it that way. If not, I will PM you.

Sounds good. I'll look into it when I get home tonight.

I just got this game and I was able to play for a couple of days fine but now I get "Parsing Game Info" when I try to load a server and it just hangs there. I searched the web and found a bunch of people with different diagnosis' but can someone give me a definitive answer as to what to do? I opened up the ports required and tried putting my computer on DMZ then took it off when it didn't work.

Sciz

Standard procedure for fixing bizarre bugs with Valve titles is to first verify the integrity of the game cache (properties > local files), and if that fails, delete and redownload.

Good games last night. I'm trying to get back into the habit of playing a bit. Never played Heavy before the update, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom