• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got the game on PC! I'm elated!

Steam name: DodgerBlues.

What servers do you guys frequent? I'm not great at the PC version, but I can be helpful. I swear!

fallout

:lol

Dm_concept2.jpg

Anyway, what I find more interesting is that they were going for more of a claymation style before they came to their finalized version of the game's art style.

1up

Orellio said:
I had my worst ever TF2 experience on the 1up server and I'll never play on there ever again. John Gabriel's Greater Internet Dickwad Theory was being proven in full force that night.

What happened on the PA server? They can be tards sometimes, but its usually they are only goofing around.

I didnt know Cheeto had his own server. Is there a password on it? Whats the map rotation? I usually shy away from CTF since it takes so long.

Oreoleo

Volcynika said:
1. Add a Gaffer in the thread
2. Follow him into a game
3. GOGOGOGOGO.

Definitely the way to success. When TF2 came out I would add GAffers to my list to try and get the "With Friends Like These.." achievement. Well eventually I got it and now it seems like I'm never in a game with less than 3 or 4 GAFfers.

Bunny

well, i finally got my replacement video card. i originally had a geforce 7600gt, and evga replaced it with a 8600gt! :D

i'm finally able to play with you guys again. i just hope this card doesn't bork on me too.

Woo, I finally got my ubersaw last night after thinking I'd never get the 22nd medic achievement, I'm liking it so far, in so much as I'll actually use the saw now, rather than avoid it as the risk vs reward of chancing a crit vs getting some uber is much more favourable now.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Can't believe I only just found out adding '-noborder -sw' to launch options allows you to alt+tab out without any hassle.

Edit: From what I'm told it runs the game windowed, but without any borders.

Davidion

Sciz said:
I don't think I dominated you, just Oldschool and Storyteller. And neither of those lasted for long. :(

I didn't even see Storyteller get on somehow...

You, Kak, and Bunny were rocking the shit out of the four of us in that game of Castle. :lol

Though to be fair, we had one new gaffer that I think was just getting used to the game. The man was awfully excited too, hell of a lot more energetic than us jaded types. :lol

edit: nickoswimmer, I think he was.

Volcynika

Davidion said:

You, Kak, and Bunny were rocking the shit out of the four of us in that game of Castle. :lol

Though to be fair, we had one new gaffer that I think was just getting used to the game. The man was awfully excited too, hell of a lot more energetic than us jaded types. :lol

First rule of TF2:

-Kak will kill you. Many times.

Sciz

Davidion said:

He came on after you left, I guess. And I'd nearly forgotten about those Castle games, after the Gravel Pit and Granary madness. You were dominating me at one point there, until I finally managed to gun you down. :lol

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Sciz said:
I don't think I dominated you, just Oldschool and Storyteller. And neither of those lasted for long. :(

;_;

That domination icon is like the bat signal. If I see one, it means i'm jumping off of rooftops to get whomever raised it. :(

Davidion said:

:lol

We actually did pretty well attacking. Everything fell apart when we switched to defense. I was building in the wrong spot, I think you forgot about the first point, and we got handled. :lol

The arena modes matches we were playing earlier were a bit LOL-like. One match everyone else on the team died, and it was 1-2. I stalked the shit out of whomever and backstabbed them, and finished the other guy off with the revolver, long range. Kak started playing sniper and my god. Every time I went up for a backstab, the person died in front of my eyes. One time I jumped off of one of the ledges in the center, and the backstab animation started. As soon as it did, kak killed the shit out of him. lmfao

So I got the guest pass on Steam and I loved it and decided to buy the full game. I'm still getting used to it, but i'm still getting murdered like every 30 seconds.
Any tips for TF2 virgins? Any class I should start with to get familiar with the game? Server suggestions? Anything?

Bueller?

Sciz

Play Soldier or Medic and follow around the guys at the top of the scoreboard until you have a loose feel for the major maps and general gameplay. Being a medic boils down to healing the people who need it and not dying, while a soldier can be reasonably effective with simple point-n-click tactics. As for servers, read back a page or two and you'll see our most common hangouts listed; Love Me Sexy is the unofficial GAF server, but basically everyone has just about everyone else friended, and we just jump on whatever server someone else is on.

Doytch

Kaiser Dämmerung said:
So I got the guest pass on Steam and I loved it and decided to buy the full game. I'm still getting used to it, but i'm still getting murdered like every 30 seconds.
Any tips for TF2 virgins? Any class I should start with to get familiar with the game? Server suggestions? Anything?

Bueller?

Page 235 has some good tips from people responding to someone else. If you want, you can start playing on a "noobs only" server, but I'd say just add people from here and join the games they're in. If you want specific servers, we play on circlex-gaming, 2fort2furious, and people have started playing on some F7 server lately. And Cheeto started up his own lately.

And since I'm bored and waiting for sunday night baseball to start, he's more info:
Circlex: 67.222.138.70:27015 (Very good players frequent this server. Still pretty laid back though. If you want to jump in the deep end, feel free. You'll definitely learn fast here.)
Cheeto #1: 75.150.178.18:27016 (All maps)
Cheeto #2: 75.150.178.18:27015 (Arena only, Note the port is different)
2fort2furious: 67.18.19.3:27015 (Lot of customs, 32 people, sounds/weird mods like goomba stomps.)

I don't have the F7 deets, someone else can post those.

So I was on a server where we tried a fail scout rush defense on Badwater. So what do we do? Use the much sounder tactic of engie rush on offense!

1220237860_tmp_pl_badwater0004.jpg

1220238075_tmp_pl_badwater0001.jpg

1220237539_tmp_pl_badwater0005.jpg

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
The only stage I really play on is Lazytown anymore. I still think it's one of the best maps, mainly because of how long matches take. It's one big tug of war map and so much fun.

Looks like I cant play on Love Me Sexy, as I thought. My ping is way too high. :(

Oldschoolgamer said:
;_;

That domination icon is like the bat signal. If I see one, it means i'm jumping off of rooftops to get whomever raised it. :(

Me too. However I usually play medic, so I go attack medic on their arse. They never see it coming. Unless I'm playing on a gaf server.

evlcookie said:
Can't believe alot of you aussies still play on US servers. Shame on you :lol

I don't! I usually play on chinese servers. :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The Storyteller said:
I don't! I usually play on chinese servers. :D

Why Chinese servers?

After getting sick of the lag on the gaf server way back then i floated around to the ocau forum and the tf2 group. Been playing with those guys ever since. Some of em went off and created a "real" clan and compete in ozfortress etc. Pretty cool.

But i always see yourself, spotless and rlan playing on US servers. Very rarely do i see any of you on aussie ones. I just find it interesting.

dude

dude
I started playing TF2 ... yesterday, because I just recently got my new PC. The problem is, everyone, everywhere, are just too good, I can't find a safe haven for just learning the game...
Save me, GAF.

aznpxdd

dude said:
I started playing TF2 ... yesterday, because I just recently got my new PC. The problem is, everyone, everywhere, are just too good, I can't find a safe haven for just learning the game...
Save me, GAF.

Its just how it is, don't be discouraged though. I'd suggest playing Medic and watch how other classes play, plus...1 more Medic on the team can't hurt.

The Storyteller said:
I've been in China for like 6 months now. Man their internet sucks.

Heh, so do they have a nickname for each class too? I'd like to hear what they are called in Chinese.

dude

dude
aznpxdd said:
Its just how it is, don't be discouraged though. I'd suggest playing Medic and watch how other classes play, plus...1 more Medic on the team can't hurt.
Yeah, I play Medic a lot, but really, you can't learn just by looking at people. I love playing as a Scout, but I just suck too much :\
Guess I'll just keep playing until I die less :S

Capndrake

Soldier, Pyro and Demoman are the most n00b-friendly, try them. As Engineer or Medic you also can't really harm your team (As long as you know the basics as Engineer), Sniper is also pretty easy to learn (Don't play Sniper on 2fort though - Actually, don't play 2fort period). Stay away from Spy until you get good with the others.

firex

dude said:
Save me, GAF.
Just remember:
This is what a demoman's sticky bombs are like.
This is what a crit rocket/regular grenade is like.

Now you should be armed to complain about crits for the next few weeks until you either quit the game or adapt and stop the hate!

Twig

Banned
firex said:
Just remember:
This is what a demoman's sticky bombs are like.
This is what a crit rocket/regular grenade is like.

Now you should be armed to complain about crits for the next few weeks until you either quit the game or adapt and stop the hate!
Hahaha. Well played.

aznpxdd

Pyro is n00b friendly as far as its mechanics goes (press down and aim in general direction), but you have to know the map pretty well to use him/her effectively.

Akia

DenogginizerOS said:
Thanks to MrBob, I just played this on a guest pass for about 2 hours. I am 100% sold. Damn this game is fun.

I'll send you another guest pass so you can play for another 3 days. If you need it just let me know.

SyNapSe

aznpxdd said:
Pyro is n00b friendly as far as its mechanics goes (press down and aim in general direction), but you have to know the map pretty well to use him/her effectively.

You really have to know the map pretty well to play most of the classes. That's probably the first big hurdle. Once you know a couple of maps, you could stay to those and play med/engie for a bit. It shouldn't take too long to start getting adjusted.

Medics the one class you could probably have little idea what's going on and still be pretty useful to your team.

SyNapSe said:
You really have to know the map pretty well to play most of the classes. That's probably the first big hurdle. Once you know a couple of maps, you could stay to those and play med/engie for a bit. It shouldn't take too long to start getting adjusted.

Medics the one class you could probably have little idea what's going on and still be pretty useful to your team.
Right but you'll still be useless at ubering. You wont know where the turtling spots are or where you'll need to activate the uber for maximum effectiveness.

Oreoleo

Wrong topic, I know, but are any GAF TF2 regulars planning on picking up Left 4 Dead? I'm still not quite sold on it (mostly due to the focus on co-op) but if a substantial number of you are going to buy it I'd be much more inclined to purchase.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
After Portal, I've learned to stop spending money on Valve games just because they're...Valve games. I'll wait and see how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom