• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidion

woxel1 said:
I just want to say I'm having a lot of fun playing with my GAF brethren. Win or lose, rain or shine (I've also decided "woxel1" was too hard to pronounce so I'm going as Purple Penguin).

Oh YOU're Purple Penguin. You were awfully uh, excitable, last night. :lol

BigKaboom2 said:
We're hanging out in the server atm if anyone wants to play. Our server name is not currently attracting any exciting people (nor is the 2/24) :lol .

69.147.251.131:27015

I'll fav your server. Will check it out soonish.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
PillowKnight said:
Well done :p. Just remember, kill first, un-sap after.

I rarely play engie because sometimes it's just too much waiting, I usually get more kills with the shotty than my sentry, I'll take on anybody as long as I have a corner really :lol

Even soldiers, I never learn :(

Proven

Hazaro said:
I rarely play engie because sometimes it's just too much waiting, I usually get more kills with the shotty than my sentry, I'll take on anybody as long as I have a corner really :lol

Even soldiers, I never learn :(

Dude start placing sentries everywhere you'd hide to shotgun. That's what I do; can't stand the waiting either.

Hunter D

I would love to get some games in with you guys. I have a copy of TF2 coming tomorrow. Does the pc version differ a lot from the console version?

Twig

Banned
Hunter D said:
I would love to get some games in with you guys. I have a copy of TF2 coming tomorrow. Does the pc version differ a lot from the console version?
Thanks to all the updates and the higher player limit? Probably. Though I've never played the 360 version, so I couldn't say.

Hunter D

TheOneGuy said:
Thanks to all the updates and the higher player limit? Probably. Though I've never played the 360 version, so I couldn't say.
The player limit on the 360 is 24. I going to guess and say the pc limit is 32?

Twig

Banned
Hunter D said:
The player limit on the 360 is 24. I going to guess and say the pc limit is 32?
Oh, for some reason I thought it was 16.

No, the default player limit is 24 on PC. But some servers up it to 32, via custom settings.

Davidion

TheOneGuy said:
Oh, for some reason I thought it was 16.

No, the default player limit is 24 on PC. But some servers up it to 32, via custom settings.

And 32 runs perfectly fine, pending a good server, of course. If not, then you might see some slight lag issues.

Anything beyond 24 is too cluttered for my tastes. Some of the best matches I've had were 9v9 Highlander - one of each class per team. A lot of fun when everyone has to fulfill their intended role (battle medics stay away!).

Davidion

BigKaboom2 said:
Anything beyond 24 is too cluttered for my tastes. Some of the best matches I've had were 9v9 Highlander - one of each class per team. A lot of fun when everyone has to fulfill their intended role (battle medics stay away!).

Is there any more to highlander than that?

Twig

Banned
BigKaboom2 said:
Anyone who dislikes battle medics is what I like to call The Anti-Fun.

Oh no, I don't dislike them. It's just that you can't do it in Highlander without crippling any friendships you may have with other people on your team :D .

I'm not sure if that's the entire extent of it, but that's all I noticed from playing on those types of servers. Haven't seen one for a while though...

1-D_FTW

Sciz said:
Didn't get that exact one, but something very similar. Absolutely gorgeous.

Unfortunately a side effect is that my wireless connection has gone down the tubes, so now I'm open to suggestions for what do to about it.

I almost posted in that thread, but had time issues and then forgot about it.

The two things I'd try are:

1.) Make a parabolic router antenna for your router. There are lots of different sites and methods.

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/index.html

http://ebanzai.blogspot.com/2006/04/tech-diy-parabolic-reflectors-wi-fi.html

I've made the Windsurfer one (below) before and it was really easy to make. It's not as elaborate as some, but if the others confuse you, it's a good template to make and understand WTF is going on.

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

2.) I know you can't use Tomato custom firmware, but have you tried DDT lite? I know with Tomato you can increase the signal strength of the router and people have stated that bumping from the default 42 to 70 is safe (in the sense they've had their router at that setting for over a year and it still works.)

Ydahs

My Demoman's points went from 28 to 8... but every other class is the same... 8 was the points I had a couple of days ago, but nothing else for the other classes has reverted back! That 28 was the best I've done with Demoman by a long margin :(

Also, is there anyway to remove my engineer's points without removing the others? It's 83, but it was from a crazy day cheaping it out on a surf map. It'd be good to start again and actually earning my points.

Volcynika said:
Sorry I didn't get to play with you last night Java, I was able to play right when you went off to play Stubbs :lol

Same here--I see lots of activity but I've been crazy busy at night finishing a side project I'm working on. :/

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Ydahs said:
My Demoman's points went from 28 to 8... but every other class is the same... 8 was the points I had a couple of days ago, but nothing else for the other classes has reverted back! That 28 was the best I've done with Demoman by a long margin :(

Also, is there anyway to remove my engineer's points without removing the others? It's 83, but it was from a crazy day cheaping it out on a surf map. It'd be good to start again and actually earning my points.

Not sure what happened with the reversion, but there's no way to reset stats. People have been asking for the feature on the Steam forums for a while (I believe there even used to be a non-functioning "rest stats" button on the stats page).

I'm stuck with 46 points for medic that I didn't earn. (Achievement server to get Kritskrieg)

Ydahs

Borgnine said:
Not sure what happened with the reversion, but there's no way to reset stats. People have been asking for the feature on the Steam forums for a while (I believe there even used to be a non-functioning "rest stats" button on the stats page).

I'm stuck with 46 points for medic that I didn't earn. (Achievement server to get Kritskrieg)
Oh ok. It'd be a useful feature... Hopefully it's added in the near future.

Anyway, the reversion was probably a glitch. Got it back to 13, but it's gonna take me a while to get to 28 points, especially since my internet is now capped for the remainder of the month.

Hunter D said:
What servers do you guys game on? Could someone put it in the op?

I got one going, but it hasn't caught on...maybe three people have joined while we've been in there, and one just wanted to practice reflecting sentry fire with the airblast.

Don't really know how to entice people to join other than low ping (check) and popular maps (check), but it'd be awesome to get some GAFers on there.

Seems like 24/7 2fort every-shot-is-a-crit instant-respawn with class limits is the most popular configuration :D .

69.147.251.131:27015

I recently had a problem with the Steam servers, do you have any other steam games? Do the servers show up for them and just not TF2?

If none of the steam servers show up for all games, it's more than likely the router. I had a Netgear CW-blahblahblah model and it for some reason wouldn't show any servers. I think the reason was because it saw the list of servers coming up as an attack and shut off access.

Fun times.

Hunter D

Alaskanbullworm said:
I recently had a problem with the Steam servers, do you have any other steam games? Do the servers show up for them and just not TF2?

If none of the steam servers show up for all games, it's more than likely the router. I had a Netgear CW-blahblahblah model and it for some reason wouldn't show any servers. I think the reason was because it saw the list of servers coming up as an attack and shut off access.

Fun times.
that's just great. TF2 is the only multi steam game I have. How did you fix it? I don't even have a netgear.

If I buy a linksys and use it for wireless do you think it will make a difference? Its just stupid that I have this game and can't play it.

Why doesn't my router attack ET or America's army when they are loading up the server list?

For right now, get your router/modem number and brand and look on google if other people have had that kind of problems with Steam servers/TF2 servers. You might be able to fix it easier than buying something else. Can't really say if a linksys would be the trick or not, it's not really my specialty.

I looked up my model number online and found 90% of the people had a problem with it, so I knew I had to go back to my older model. Got the cable service to bring back the older model since they thought that was doing some problem before hand, but it wasn't, but that's a long story anyway.

Davidion

Add a bunch of us regulars on your friend's list and just follow us into games. :lol Jump on the F7lans or Circle X gaming servers, people here have been playing there as of late. There are a bunch of people with GAF tags.

People usually game at around 8-12 Eastern. Everyone's been busy with other things as of late but people still get on.

SyNapSe

Hunter D said:
It started working now and I did nothing at all. My steam gt is charsace.

I haven't been playing a lot the last couple of months, then again.. working 6 and 7 days a week can do that (especially when football starts which I cant get enough of). I'll add you Hunter D! Didn't you wear a Trent Green avatar for a long time?

Hunter D

SyNapSe said:
I haven't been playing a lot the last couple of months, then again.. working 6 and 7 days a week can do that (especially when football starts which I cant get enough of). I'll add you Hunter D! Didn't you wear a Trent Green avatar for a long time?
Yes I did.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sciz said:

Some GREAT stuff in there

Gogolrush

WTF? :lol :lol

Pics from me now.

hl22008-09-2320-16-42-98Large.jpg

Got over 200 in one game, got over 100 kills later.

hl22008-09-2319-25-15-25Large.jpg

Scouts are silly

hl22008-09-2721-10-50-73Large.jpg

Engineers are credit on Badwater

hl22008-09-2723-12-55-79Large.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
I hate everyone who puts up a sentry in the same spot I have many times before and gets kills while mine goes down in 30 seconds.

Especially since it took me forever to get the 10 kill achievement. My sentries kept dying at 8 or 9. :lol

And Gogolrush: Awesome.

If anyone has suggestions to populate the "EPIC FETCH" server I'm very much open. Would no-crits sell it?

I think Scout/Engineer are the two classes in desperate need for a content patch. You see Scouts on gravel pit, but never in gold rush, dust bowl, or the vast majority of maps. Engineers are very hard to use against a team with good medics/demomen, they feel like a class that only works well against uncoordinated teams and are very stagnant to play.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
TheHeretic said:
I think Scout/Engineer are the two classes in desperate need for a content patch. You see Scouts on gravel pit, but never in gold rush, dust bowl, or the vast majority of maps. Engineers are very hard to use against a team with good medics/demomen, they feel like a class that only works well against uncoordinated teams and are very stagnant to play.

engineers are particularly useful in the payload maps if only for the portals.

TheHeretic said:
I think Scout/Engineer are the two classes in desperate need for a content patch.
Yup, scout is the least played class and the engineer has the lowest points per hour (scout is second). I can see scout getting the next update.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
benjipwns said:
I hate everyone who puts up a sentry in the same spot I have many times before and gets kills while mine goes down in 30 seconds.

Especially since it took me forever to get the 10 kill achievement. My sentries kept dying at 8 or 9. :lol

I got the achievement first time playing engie on that map and actually camping my sentry. It wasn't boring at all since it was CONSTANLY under fire. Not even 3 seconds that it wasn't being shot at, it got 12 frikken kills in about a minute and I finally got the achievement. Eventually a demo blew it up even though the pryo next to me was trying to blow the stickies away. :lol

Jirotrom

i havent played this game since launch but i'll start since i cant really afford to buy games anymore, economy is shit and its time to clean stuff out. Hopefully gaf welcomes me with open arms, are there any cheap mic to headphones combos out there?

Davidion

Jirotrom said:
i havent played this game since launch but i'll start since i cant really afford to buy games anymore, economy is shit and its time to clean stuff out. Hopefully gaf welcomes me with open arms, are there any cheap mic to headphones combos out there?

Quite a handful of us actually play several times a week. Sometimes it's slower, sometimes not. Hit any of the regulars up on steam and just start following people into games, that's really what we all end up doing most of the time. :lol

For a beginner's headset:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106157&Tpk=pc151

These actually work well, as other GAFers here can attest to. Fallengorn still uses his and I just retired mine after a couple of months. I'm actually selling mine used for cheap if you're interested.

If you want to blow mad money on a headset, that's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom