• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I have been wondering about sniper duels for a bit now.

For example this happens way to damn often:

1) Sniper hides behind wall
2) Enemy sniper sees Sniper hide be hide behind wall, also hides behind wall.
3) Snipers continually inch their heads out every so often to check if other sniper is available to be shot at.

Who wins? The crosshairs are pretty much like 10 pixels max from the head, if not on the head. Does the sniper who is standing still, or moving have the advantage? The one with lower ping? Or the one that shoots 1 pixel left of the head that registers as a headshot?

My main peeve is snipers who get body shots and hide behind walls. Ticks me off mainly because that's the main reason I die when I snipe, plus it seems like dishonorable or something :lol

Find a new angle and wait for the other sniper to shoot at someone else, you know?

Xizk

Hazaro said:

3) Snipers continually inch their heads out every so often to check if other sniper is available to be shot at.

Who wins? The crosshairs are pretty much like 10 pixels max from the head, if not on the head. Does the sniper who is standing still, or moving have the advantage? The one with lower ping? Or the one that shoots 1 pixel left of the head that registers as a headshot?

My main peeve is snipers who get body shots and hide behind walls. Ticks me off mainly because that's the main reason I die when I snipe, plus it seems like dishonorable or something :lol

Find a new angle and wait for the other sniper to shoot at someone else, you know?

The best thing to do is put your dot where the snipers head will be, if he's behind a wall and will inch his way out of cover. If you are the one behind cover then the other sniper will be waiting for you and get the first shot. But if you know he's waiting you should just run and jump out of cover, so he has to do a snap shot to hit you, and there are not many snipers who are good at it.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Hazaro said:

The sniper that waits has a big advantage because he already has his gun pointed at the right spot, whereas the other sniper has to quickly adjust to the change in perspective. That's why you jump out suddenly and hope they miss so you can take a counter-shot.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Zek said:
The sniper that waits has a big advantage because he already has his gun pointed at the right spot, whereas the other sniper has to quickly adjust to the change in perspective. That's why you jump out suddenly and hope they miss so you can take a counter-shot.
It depends. It's kinda like how in counterstrike you could make the case for both the person waiting and the person attacking. Usually the person waiting has the advantage, but if the attacker already knows where your head is and aims while coming out you could easily lose, especially if your attention slips from having to sit and wait. Remember, the attacker is a moving target. You aren't.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I pretty much think that the waiter has the advantage, but how does ping time, etc come into play?

If the mover is moving his position needs to be updated, while the sniper standing still is in the same spot. Ping, processing, hit registration, etc. now come into factor (I think?) :lol

Perhaps I'm thinking too much about this, but doorway snipers really irk me.

I almost always now go out a different entrance, but sometimes you are bottle necked and gotta "snap shot". Problem is a body shot will still kill you 98% of the time.

I need to drag someone (With good reflexes, but not insane) online to work this out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Capndrake said:
I don't understand how people can say the Pyro is not overpowered. Goddamn.

Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpSTRfMRl5c

I'm pretty sure that is to compensate when people are outrunning the pryo, they will still get ignited. Something about lag or I forget.

I think there's an explanation somewhere that I read. Either way Pyro is not overpowered at all.

BigKaboom2 said:
Fix'd. The hitboxes get pretty flaky once you cross that threshold.

Still the people on the server I play with have and average of around 40 ping.

So...

Davidion

Capndrake said:

Now see how long it takes the Pyro to kill at that range. Now see how well that range works in combat when you have to deal with heavies or soldiers or demos in open spaces.

Even the backburner effective range is not as wide as it used to be. Pyro's aren't overpowered, thy just don't flat out suck anymore, which people seem to want a whole lot.

Quit yer bellyachin', DRAKE.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Davidion said:
Now see how long it takes the Pyro to kill at that range. Now see how well that range works in combat when you have to deal with heavies or soldiers or demos in open spaces.

Even the backburner effective range is not as wide as it used to be. Pyro's aren't overpowered, thy just don't flat out suck anymore, which people seem to want a whole lot.

Quit yer bellyachin', DRAKE.

He's just sour because sniping on fire sucks :lol

Capndrake said:

I've never seen that happen , weird. I still agree with you, bring back full damage falloff!(Keep it on the BB if you'd like).

Sniping : If you miss a shot, or are reloading, run into cover. Don't do the whole "scope and come out slowly" thing if you're on the defensive. Either run out of cover into counter snipe, or find another vantage point.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Hitokage said:
It depends. It's kinda like how in counterstrike you could make the case for both the person waiting and the person attacking. Usually the person waiting has the advantage, but if the attacker already knows where your head is and aims while coming out you could easily lose, especially if your attention slips from having to sit and wait. Remember, the attacker is a moving target. You aren't.
But he is moving while he aims. The real advantage of the attacker is that he knows when he's going to come out, but if he inches out scoped then the camper will see his shoulder in time to be ready.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zek said:
But he is moving while he aims. The real advantage of the attacker is that he knows when he's going to come out, but if he inches out scoped then the camper will see his shoulder in time to be ready.

I've had multiple instances where I see their shoulder inching out, dot on where there head is going to be in 0.1 seconds, and get headshotted before I see theirs.

I'll probably try to test this over the weekend.

Hazaro said:
I've had multiple instances where I see their shoulder inching out, dot on where there head is going to be in 0.1 seconds, and get headshotted before I see theirs.

I'll probably try to test this over the weekend.
Consider the angle from which they're shooting. Odds are that sniper can see your head before you see his. Lag is a non issue at low pings (<100). If not, then remember that the sniper doesn't need to see all of your head, just a bit will do. I played against a sniper the other day who would headshot me even if my head was only a little bit out of cover. I wasn't able to kill him until I started to do the same thing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
PillowKnight said:
Consider the angle from which they're shooting. Odds are that sniper can see your head before you see his. Lag is a non issue at low pings (<100). If not, then remember that the sniper doesn't need to see all of your head, just a bit will do. I played against a sniper the other day who would headshot me even if my head was only a little bit out of cover. I wasn't able to kill him until I started to do the same thing.

Ehh... Most of the time both players can see each others head if that is what you are talking about.

Interestingly enough, this happened on Badwater recently, where you can go on the rocks on the left and slowly inch up to shoot those silly snipers inching out, got 3 headshots as soon as they tried to poke thier heads out, but I don't think they were aiming for me.

Died from a charged body shot, but I don't know if they couldn't see my head or just shot my leg.

Now I really wanna try this over the weekend. :lol

notsol337

marked forever
Xizk said:
Pillow kept owning me in sniper duels :(

I would do much better in sniper duels if the dot was a secondary-fire charge up thing much akin to TFC.

Then I could just pop off a headshot with no dot!

Would be awesome.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
notsol337 said:
I would do much better in sniper duels if the dot was a secondary-fire charge up thing much akin to TFC.

Then I could just pop off a headshot with no dot!

Would be awesome.

If only headshots counted in non-scope mode :(

Man that would be so ridiculous. :lol

Instead I get stupid 50 damage body shots. Still works on scouts most of the time though.

Capndrake said:

Two possible reasons the stuff in the video happened:

a) latency issues. On servers where I've had a relatively high ping (100 and up), I've been caught on fire numerous times when the flame wasn't even near me on my screen.
b) buggy flamethrower. I've experienced moments where I couldn't flame a guy at point blank range for about a second or two.

So no, the video doesn't prove the pyro's are overpowered (which isn't the case).

Davidion said:
Backburner sucks anyway, even when it had the health boost.

Xizk

Anyone else playing without a crosshair? You get more precise shots as you don't rely on the dot and instead think about where you really aim from. My pipe bomb skills have gotten a lot better where I barely use the stickies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Xizk said:
Anyone else playing without a crosshair? You get more precise shots as you don't rely on the dot and instead think about where you really aim from. My pipe bomb skills have gotten a lot better where I barely use the stickies.

Umm, nope :lol

Once you get the hang of pipes demo becomes even more of a beast than before :D

Twig

Banned
Xizk said:
Pf, I've been saying that for EONS.

It is true, though, that the crosshair is misleading for non-straight-shooting weapons like the pipe bombs, ekcetra.

Davidion

Xizk said:

Yeah I had my crosshair accidentally turned off for a while (still not sure how that happened) and playing soldier was a nightmare, NIGHTMARE. Seriously, sniping targets long range became a game of trial and error (great fun in heated firefights) and my close range accuracy went down the toilet.

No, thank you.

Capndrake said:

You know I play Heavy a lot.

Even if a pyro gets the jump on me unspun at that range, he's dead. He might have a bad graphic for his flame which isn't representative, but... not overpowered. Soldier would have no issue at that range either. Demoman always has issues with close range. If you wanna complain about pyros you should complain about how fire makes your crosshairs bounce around - annoying as hell.

Now, as a heavy, I might say that you, who plays mainly spy or sniper, are overpowered. But I don't.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TheOneGuy said:
Pf, I've been saying that for EONS.

It is true, though, that the crosshair is misleading for non-straight-shooting weapons like the pipe bombs, ekcetra.
Unless you've played Scorched Earth or Worms. :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Awesome pic:lol

Fullsize/Quality: http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/6472/hl22008101716591738az2.jpg
hl22008-10-1716-59-17-38Large.jpg

50% Damage indeed, stacked like crazy

hl22008-10-1716-59-48-15Large.jpg

Twig

Banned
SyNapSe said:
:lol no new updates till next year is ok. Any hint what class is next?
My guess is Spy because the title of I think the third(?)-newest update was "Gentlemen."

IIRC they gave a similar hint for heavy. But I could be wrong. Shrug!

TheOneGuy said:
My guess is Spy because the title of I think the third(?)-newest update was "Gentlemen."

IIRC they gave a similar hint for heavy. But I could be wrong. Shrug!
If Valve's really hinting at what the next update will be through their blog entries, then the Engineer's pretty likely as well (alongside the Spy that is). See bold:

Valve said:
Git along there, little doggies

Work on the next class pack is gearing up, a little slower than we'd like. In the meantime, I thought I'd post some answers to the common email questions we receive.
Which might be one of the reasons why the next update is getting along slower than they'd like, as well a good reason why they'll only update the game again in 2009.

Could be I'm looking too much into things, though.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
fallengorn said:
I don't mind, especially since L4D is coming in a month.

that's probably exactly why they're halting the updates. want us to play left 4 dead and all. I'm ok with it. :D

Javaman

Well, after a week of tinkering to find the cause of my TF2 sound loop lockups, I now present you with the cause....

fe4dwp.jpg

Well THERES your problem. LOL

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Javaman said:
Well, after a week of tinkering to find the cause of my TF2 sound loop lockups, I now present you with the cause....

Well THERES your problem. LOL

:lol

7900GS?

Just replace the caps and you should be fine.

Or you could send it in like a normal person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom