• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
otake said:
i was looking for something just like that!

I personally picked up 2 refurbs that came out to $10 shipped each. Looked like new, just plug and play. Gave one to a friend, share the savings :)

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Hazaro said:
I personally picked up 2 refurbs that came out to $10 shipped each. Looked like new, just plug and play. Gave one to a friend, share the savings :)

what about in game sound if your using speakers, wont the mic pick that up as well?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
otake said:
what about in game sound if your using speakers, wont the mic pick that up as well?

It's generally very good at filtering.

But I use headsets, so :lol

Check the newegg reviews.

jasonng

So I just made the jump from the 360 TF2 to now the PC. It's been a while since and I'm really rusty and having a bit of trouble adjusting to the more hectic nature that is the PC. Anyone got any tips for me?

I mostly use medic to get the feel of the PC controls (it's been that long). Also, anyone owns an iMac and is using the built-in mic? If so, is it working for ya?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
jasonng said:
So I just made the jump from the 360 TF2 to now the PC. It's been a while since and I'm really rusty and having a bit of trouble adjusting to the more hectic nature that is the PC. Anyone got any tips for me?

I mostly use medic to get the feel of the PC controls (it's been that long). Also, anyone owns an iMac and is using the built-in mic? If so, is it working for ya?

You might want to head over to an achievement server to get the new weapons. For the Medic, the only indisputable necessary weapon is the Blutslager, with the Ubersaw being a nice little commodity that doesn't get a whole lot of practical use. The Backburner for the Pyro is also practically a must, unless you feel airblast is totally a vital part of your Pyro routine. The Heavy Sandvich is pretty nice, but none of the weapons are totally important.

Welcome to the true TF2. Play some custom maps for extra fun (Feared Gamers is a fun server for these), and remember to stop in at the GAF server.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone know how/when your stat update?

Do you have to play a full round?
Or a full game (Wait for map change)
A full life?
Or say wait a few minutes after you get say 14 kills instead of 12 kills, then leave?

I'm asking because this has happened before and I got 4 more new personal bests yesterday, but only 2 are shown today.

*Also a link to a working TF2 stat sig would be nice, google yields dead links for me.

Sciz

The only times I'm certain about stat logging is at either the end of a map or upon manual disconnection. I can't recall mid-round map changes or being automatically disconnected ever updating my time played, even after a fairly long period of time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sciz said:
The only times I'm certain about stat logging is at either the end of a map or upon manual disconnection. I can't recall mid-round map changes or being automatically disconnected ever updating my time played, even after a fairly long period of time.

Esc + Quit Game right?

I want the new max damage for pryo to update.
I got it by setting about 9 people on fire when I was ubered and killing no one :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Changing control schemes so I have to relearn FPS gaming from scratch has given me new motivation to play, and moreso considering I don't completely suck on the fourth session with it.

Twig

Banned
Hitokage said:
Changing control schemes so I have to relearn FPS gaming from scratch has given me new motivation to play, and moreso considering I don't completely suck on the fourth session with it.
o_O

What did you change, out of curiosity?

Hitokage said:
What, did you lose your hand in some tragic rocket accident?

You know what's weird though, just a few days ago I was wondering was it'd be like if my hand got chopped off. I came close to considering taking up playing with my left hand just in case.

SyNapSe

I'm gonna jump on now and maybe I'll see some gaffers to join!**

** might be drunk from going to bar with coworkers for the last 3 hours. But, hey it makes it fun!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PillowKnight said:
What, did you lose your hand in some tragic rocket accident?
Nah, just shooting for ambidexterity in FPS games. Always played right-handed WASD/Right-side mouse, and now I'm playing left-handed Keypad/Left-side mouse. When I first tried it, both hands were completely lost, but I'm making rapid progress and games are more interesting with bottomed out expectations.

You know what's weird though, just a few days ago I was wondering was it'd be like if my hand got chopped off. I came close to considering taking up playing with my left hand just in case.
It doesn't even need to be that drastic. Carpal tunnel is a bitch too. ;)

Hitokage said:
Nah, just shooting for ambidexterity in FPS games. Always played right-handed WASD/Right-side mouse, and now I'm playing left-handed Keypad/Left-side mouse. When I first tried it, both hands were completely lost, but I'm making rapid progress and games are more interesting with bottomed out expectations.

It doesn't even need to be that drastic. Carpal tunnel is a bitch too. ;)
You know what, im gonna join you in this quest. Let's see what TF2 is like when you can't control a mouse.

jasonng

So I've searched from top to bottom (almost) but I still don't know, is there an "official" GAF server or is everyone jumping on a few selected favorites? I want to play with some Gaffers. I've been told that I make an awesome medic even though the class isn't hard to play at all.
Playing a Priest in WoW and running countless instances with PUGs certainly taught me a lot though.

Also, recently for some reason I can't join 90% of the public servers out there. Anyone know why?

Twig

Banned
There is no more official GAF server, sadly.

Everyone's split off into a bunch of different servers where they play regularly.

2fort2furious
circleX
F7 Lan

Stuff like that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
PillowKnight said:
You know what, im gonna join you in this quest. Let's see what TF2 is like when you can't control a mouse.
You might want to get comfortable just browsing the web left-handed first.

At any rate, been playing Quake 3 for practice. It's far less forgiving of slow reflexes than some of TF2's classes are.

EDIT: Over the past day I've gone from having serious problems trying to win even the second single-player match on default difficulty to consistent victories.

ice cream

Banned
Yo can someone post the IPs to those servers again, like the UK version of 2fort2furious etc? (I can't be arsed to search through this thread again)
thanks

Capndrake

2fort2furious: 67.18.19.3:27015
2fort2furious2: 24/7 Mario Kart, 100% crits: 67.18.19.4:27015 (Please don't play here)
2fort2furious3: Arena: 67.18.19.5:27015

Don't know the other servers' IPs.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Demon Soldier :lol
352lr4p.jpg

---

Also I've taken up playing engie and heavy more on badwater, holy crap he is a beast.
Only played 1 hour with him previously so :lol

291ol13.jpg

t6cv8l.jpg

I played on CircleX for a bit, but got my ass handed to me, and then I played serious, but it's just not as fun.

Milabrega

Not a big fan of CircleX, 2fort and F7 are the better servers. CircleX overplays Gold Rush and the team sizes are a bit too small making it a good chance if your team sucks you'll get rolled.

Twig

Banned
Plus CircleX sticks with one map for far too long.

I think F7's probably my favorite.

If only for FRIDAY NIGHT MIDNIGHT MARBLE MADNESS.

Davidion

Circle X is fine. In fact, I think if you're talking about of the skill level of the regulars, Circle X is the best server I've played on thus far; my ass gets handed to be regularly way too often there. F7 is ok, but quite frankly teams get steamrolled there more than anywhere else I've played.

jasonng said:
So I've searched from top to bottom (almost) but I still don't know, is there an "official" GAF server or is everyone jumping on a few selected favorites? I want to play with some Gaffers. I've been told that I make an awesome medic even though the class isn't hard to play at all.
Playing a Priest in WoW and running countless instances with PUGs certainly taught me a lot though.

Add some of us regulars on steam and just jump in a game we're in. It's how a lot of us get around nowadays.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Davidion said:
Circle X is fine. In fact, I think if you're talking about of the skill level of the regulars, Circle X is the best server I've played on thus far; my ass gets handed to be regularly way too often there.
Truth. A lot of great competition on that server, although I'd add at peak hours. I've played at off-peak and I end up murdering everyone.

And they've gotten better at map durations.

Twig

Banned
Circle X would be perfect if they didn't stick with the same maps for way too long.

Unfortunately, that overbearing flaw prevents me from enjoying myself on that server.

That's why we have choices, though.

EDIT: How have they gotten better?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The last couple of days while I've been on it, most maps just last for 2 rounds.

Thinking about it, It's probably that we've just dragged the game out long enough past the set map time.

Hitokage said:
You might want to get comfortable just browsing the web left-handed first.

At any rate, been playing Quake 3 for practice. It's far less forgiving of slow reflexes than some of TF2's classes are.

EDIT: Over the past day I've gone from having serious problems trying to win even the second single-player match on default difficulty to consistent victories.
That's actually what I did. It's been an interesting experience, I finally understand all those guys who come into PC threads and are all "I prefer gamepads", these guys play with the equivalent of their left(or right) hand.

Basically, I started with engineer, spend the first minute just trying to get out of spawn. Another two to set up a sentry, and spent the rest of the time walking around like a robot. Oddly enough I ended up with a 9:1 K:D (Says a lot about the F7 player base :p).

Later I tried heavy, which was another kind of horrible. At this point I was getting used to walking around and aiming, but my mouse strokes were still too spastic, i'd end up shooting at one end of the screen one second and on the other end the next. Last class I tried was sniper, which was pretty relaxing and the easiest of the three, could actually get a few head shots, specially easier since there wasn't much sense of urgency.

I haven't tried to play lefty lately, mainly because changing around button configs is a pain.

To the server guys. I actually prefer cXg's long map timer, mainly because it allows teams to develop rivalries; which can make things interesting even if the teams are stacked. It's really exciting to finally scratch out a win as the underdog team. That said, i'm once again looking for other servers to play, im sick of their map rotation. I dunno, im starting to think it may be time to move onto pugs, even though they are intimidating.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's actually what I did. It's been an interesting experience, I finally understand all those guys who come into PC threads and are all "I prefer gamepads", these guys play with the equivalent of their left(or right) hand.
Heh, the only difference between this and when I first discovered mlook in quake is that I already had a lot of time with games like Tie Fighter where you aim and shoot with the mouse. I still started out incredibly disoriented, in part because I wasn't all that good at Tie Fighter to begin with, but the learning curve wasn't so bad with how to point and shoot already down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom