• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Hazaro said:
Bah, same cooler.

I'd return it. Chances are you'll get a GTS 320MB back.

I'm going to give it a shot with EVGa, but it's probably not going to work out. The card is secondhand. Hopefully the original owner registered it. Worst case I'll upgrade to something in the $100 price range.

I'm not sure what happened really. I've never overclocked it so either my generic 300w PSU did it in or it had some faulty caps.

PS. Thanks for the advice Dave-edi-on!

1up- "spy sappin yo video card"
:lol

Bunny

Javaman said:
I'm going to give it a shot with EVGa, but it's probably not going to work out. The card is secondhand. Hopefully the original owner registered it. Worst case I'll upgrade to something in the $100 price range.

I'm not sure what happened really. I've never overclocked it so either my generic 300w PSU did it in or it had some faulty caps.

PS. Thanks for the advice Dave-edi-on!

1up- "spy sappin yo video card"

7600 gt's are known for having bad capacitors. i had the same card, and it died about 2 weeks before the warranty expired, evga sent me back an 8600 gt.
good luck with evga java, i hope they can do something for you.

Javaman

Thanks guys.
For now it's back to the onboard ATI x200. Slow and ugly but playable.
Should I fill those with Castor or Canola oil?

Davidion

I already pointed Java towards a good 9800gt deal I found, for around $100.

I imagine he'll be salivating for a while if and when he gets the card. :lol

Sciz

Yeah, I expect I'll be drooling over all of my semi-recent games all over again whenever I finally get around to building a new PC and upgrading from this Mobility X1600.

On a different note, I've finally solved my wireless problems by buying a 100 ft length of ethernet cable which I plan to run through the attic later this week. :lol

Sorta relating to Java's issues: I'd love to upgrade from my 6800GT, but the switch to PCI Express means I basically have to build a whole new computer to go any further.

Considering I only keep my Frankenstein of a PC around for games, it might be time to buy an iMac or MacBook Pro and just use it for everything.

EDIT: Woah! Looks like ATI Partners made a slew of AGP Radeon HD 3850 cards. I might pick one of those up to tide me over.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Had awesome games today. Getting better with Sniper too. Anyway, did Valve give Tf2 some code upgrades or something? It ran much better today than most other times. I hadn't played in ages and today on a 32 player team it was working perfect, near 60FPS at 1280x1024 MSAA2X everything High and V Sync On. God bless the sucky GeForce 7600GS and its miracles :lol

Javaman

Relix said:
Had awesome games today. Getting better with Sniper too. Anyway, did Valve give Tf2 some code upgrades or something? It ran much better today than most other times. I hadn't played in ages and today on a 32 player team it was working perfect, near 60FPS at 1280x1024 MSAA2X everything High and V Sync On. God bless the sucky GeForce 7600GS and its miracles :lol

BUY MORE CAPACITORS. TF2 EATS THEM for brunch.

Sciz

siiiiiiiiiiigh.

I finally got around to running that cable today, and it turned out nicely, no real troubles with drilling through the walls or anything. Immediately before I go to plug it in, my laptop crashes and has since bluescreened partway through the boot cycle every time. :lol

I'll probably be really annoyed by tomorrow, but at the moment I can only laugh at the cruel irony of it all. My data is mostly on an external drive in the event that I end up having to reformat or replace the whole thing, thankfully.

edit: Problem resolved, no harm done. I'd forgotten what real broadband felt like. So fast.

Davidion

People just aren't posting as much, really. Quite a few of the regulars are still active during most of the week.

F7lans, Circle X Gaming/cXg, and 2fort2furious/Team Roomba are where a lot of the regulars play, myself included. Still having lots of good games there.

I wouldn't mind a GAF event though. It'd be nice to get some friendly games going.

Oreoleo

I would like a GAF event for the Ship. I know I'm not the only one who bought it this past weekend. And there's probably at least a few guest passes to go around for those who didn't.

Edit: Don't make it tonight though! I'm gonna be at the bar for Monday Night Football.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Having a weird issue with TF2, whenever I shot the water with a shotgun the FPS drops from 60+ to like 30. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling TF2 and even reinstalling my graphics card drivers (8.10 cats).

Not sure what else to try, only game giving me issues aswell.

Xizk

Ikuu said:
Having a weird issue with TF2, whenever I shot the water with a shotgun the FPS drops from 60+ to like 30. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling TF2 and even reinstalling my graphics card drivers (8.10 cats).

Not sure what else to try, only game giving me issues aswell.

There are some performance issues with the game. I get really low fps with both my computers which should be able to run the game very well. There's a huge thread about it on the steam forums. The unfortunate part is that Valve hasn't acknowledged it so I don't know when/if they will fix it. Right now I'm hoping that they will port the multicore optimized engine from Left 4 Dead to TF2 sometime soon.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Yea, the game definately doesn't run as well as it should, on higher end systems anyway, got it fixed. Seems enabling and then disabling AA in CCC fixed the problem.

I wish Valve would actually try and fix the multi-core commands, they give a pretty decent performance boost.

Xizk

For me mat_queue_mode 2 makes my fps go higher but the gameplay doesn't feel responsive. Feels laggy. It also crashes the game for me after 10min so it's useless for me. What's strange is that the game ran very well for me on my old Athlon 64 with Ati 9800 pro, back when the game launched. Aiming felt very responsive. Nowadays I can't even hit pyros running toward me when I'm playing sniper.

It's so frustrating because the game is one of the best online games I've ever played but because my fps drops so low I'm having a hard time performing as well as I should. I'm really hoping Valve fixes the performance soon.

otake said:
im up for a gaf event. I've been playing tf2 all week.

Our server is still available and I really wish it could get some use, might have to abandon that venture otherwise. :(

69.147.251.131:27015

Steam ID is Kaboom, don't think I have any of you on my friends list so add me if you'd be interested in playing on there sometime. It's set up to be kind of 2f2f-ish. Vanilla with 2 or 3 rounds per map and a couple of good customs.

Oreoleo

It would be cool if someone would add another admin or 3 to the NeoGAF Steam group. None of the current admins really play TF2 anymore (Tekno sometimes but it seems like he's always bitching about crits or something) and it would be nice to have the ability to create events. It would be easier than trying to organize a night to play in the forums, anyway.

I mean seriously if there were a TF2 event scheduled every Wednesday and Friday night, would people not show up? I know I would. The Ship on Sundays? That's a routine I wouldn't mind getting into.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Well, I've been consistently playing TF2. :p
Actually, I'm just scared about losing any skill if I took an extended break.

But I just got Little Big Planet and I've been playing through STALKER so I can go through Clear Sky. And I started and stopped playing Yakuza 2. I need more free time/hours of the day!

We should do a The Ship thingamabob. I haven't even touched the tutorial, though. :\

Twig

Banned
fallengorn said:
We should do a The Ship thingamabob. I haven't even touched the tutorial, though. :\
I am so up for that in about two weeks!

I have... three tests this week and a bunch of big homework assignments due.

Three tests next week and two papers due.

busybusybusybusybusybusy

;_;

Volcynika

fallengorn said:
Well, I've been consistently playing TF2. :p
Actually, I'm just scared about losing any skill if I took an extended break.

But I just got Little Big Planet and I've been playing through STALKER so I can go through Clear Sky. And I started and stopped playing Yakuza 2. I need more free time/hours of the day!

Hay, we're not even friends on PSN! That makes me :(

:lol Twig, I have three tests next week myself! :/

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
i have consitently been playing tf2 every night for the last 2 weeks. i think im going to give up on warhammer since all I do is play tf2 anyway.

Capndrake

New glitch lets you be any class with the weapons of a "limited" class (If a server has a limit on one of the classes). Most combinations just replace the weapons they hold, but the Spy becomes a civilian:

cp_dustbowl0007-1.jpg

pl_goldrush0004-1.jpg

These pics aren't mine:

2zq6hs8.jpg

2ign6h4.jpg

opyzh5.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Roll The Dice is so fun :lol

Some pics of me messing around on the server.

-DOMINATED.
-Spot the desperation?
-Fun 4v4 on Dustbowl with this team :lol

104kzyv.jpg

2dj1jqe.jpg

34ebwo2.jpg

After Java's dilemma, I found some seeping capacitors on my mobo, so I've got a new machine coming together with a mix of used hardware and a new GPU. It should be a screamer.

I'll keep playing on my 6800gt for the next few days or so, but you bitches better be around for the weekend. :)

(I just finished up a huge project that I've been working on in my spare time, so I have time for TF2 again)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
:lol @ the Team Fortress thing
"Team Fortress is a team and class based action (something) computer game modification based on..."

lets04.jpg

Also this was found in the L4D Demo: NEW CLASS CONFIRMED :lol
Too bad it will be unable to be balanced, we will never see it, and we won't get new class updates until 2010. :[

flakesxp6.jpg

Found this while I was checking some stuff as well:

1zcg7zl.jpg

JavaMava

I'm so hyped for the potential of a 10th class.

I definitely think valve could balance it. Maybe if it rolled out with another classes new set of weapons, and the two could play off each other..... I can't think of anything, but Our Dear Leader Valve can!

Javaman

JavaMava said:
I'm so hyped for the potential of a 10th class.

I definitely think valve could balance it. Maybe if it rolled out with another classes new set of weapons, and the two could play off each other..... I can't think of anything, but Our Dear Leader Valve can!

There are rumors of a new class?

Ydahs

I wasn't too sure where to post this, but I thought this'll be my best bet to get some constructive advice.

I'm currently creating a TF2 map but I've hit a crossroad. I'm recreating an old map from Soldier of Fortune 2:

2hs6usw.jpg

287d8av.jpg

2w5qej4.jpg

(not the prettiest of games)

Why? Not sure, but SoF2 was the first online shooter I played back when I was a little kid and the one map I can still remember is this one. It's more of a learning experience, as this is my first major TF2 map (made a couple CS 1.6 maps couple of years ago).

I'm trying to keep to the original level layout, though I'm changing it around a bit to try and make it feel a bit more TF2-ish (wider areas, a sniper range similar to 2fort, etc.).

I'm not too sure whether I should stick with the artstyle of TF2 (desert/outback setting) or go with an artstyle to keep with the original (snow environments). It would obviously be much harder if I went with snow, as I'd have to create my own textures for both snow and ice while trying to make it look TF2-ish. If I went with the desert setting, I already have the textures and all but it'll be really hard to try and make it look professional. The TF2 map designs are amazing and I'm not sure I can come close to it.

Any advice appreciated! I'll post some pictures hopefully sometime later this month and maybe I'll release an alpha version of the map by mid-December.

Traded in the backburner for the compression blast and it's strangely more satisfying even though I'm not killing as much. It's funny seeing soldiers just refusing to pull out their rocket launchers after they've tasted a few of their own rockets.

Twig

Banned
Cheeto said:
OMG NO CLIP ROCKET PONG, NEW TF2 SPORT!
Now someone needs to make a map that automatically shoots one rocket and then you have to try to make it in the opposing team's goal. Also, have ammo everywhere to quickly replenish the CB.

O:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom