• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
No crashes, but my display would randomly do this:
347cz82.jpg

alt-tabbing clears it up but it takes to long to get back in the game in TF2.

I went back and updated to 180.48 drivers again, but didn't help. :(

Volcynika

Javaman said:
LOL tell me about it. Thanks to a nasty head cold and a six pack, I probably sounded like a drunk muppet. Did you get a new mic Volcano? Your voice sounds a lot different. Unless you're an impostor.

your=you're, yikes.

I'm late to respond, but yes, I did get a new mic!

Doytch

BigGreenMat said:
So if you are a complete noob at TF2 how is the best way to educate yourself so as to not destroy your team?

What Cheeto said. One person can't really wreck a team. You even need two engies to block everyone into their spawn.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
BigGreenMat said:
So if you are a complete noob at TF2 how is the best way to educate yourself so as to not destroy your team?

Just play man. Play in large servers (20 to 32 people) and get a feel for what the general strategies are for each map and which classes excel at each choke point.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Doytch said:
What Cheeto said. One person can't really wreck a team. You even need two engies to block everyone into their spawn.

Huh?

What do you mean, teammates walk though your buildings.

Looks like the TF2 team is back on TF2 full-time yay:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2096

We've been pretty quiet lately, but thankfully, that's about to end. In the next few days we'll have an update out that has a couple of new features for the Engineer and Spy, and a variety of other smaller fixes.

* Teleporters will be upgradeable to level 3. As the teleporter is upgraded, the cooldown will decrease.
* Dispensers will be upgradeable to level 3. They will heal faster and generate metal faster as they are upgraded.
* Spies will be able to recharge their cloaking ability by picking up ammo off of the ground.
* We've made a bunch of minor changes by adding particle systems and upgrading the HUD to show things like deaths by critical hits, players that are overhealed, and giving more information to medics when people are calling for them.

These are just to work on some class balance and depth issues that we've seen in the wild with these two classes, but aren't meant to replace their entire class packs. They will be getting more attention further down the road.

While that's in testing, we're off working on several things that folks have been emailing us about, so we thought it'd be good to provide some detail:

* The next class pack will be the Scout. One of the main goals we're focusing on for him has been to provide tools that make him useful in maps like Dustbowl & Goldrush. If you have any ideas for what you think would work well, post them over on the Team Fortress 2 Forum and we'll take a look.
* We are actively working on a massive XBox 360 update, which will include pretty much everything we've shipped on the PC in the last year. We'll provide you with a rough date when we have one.
* We're also working on bringing over a variety of engine improvements from Left 4 Dead into the TF2 engine, but it won't be a wholesale replacement of the engine. This means we'll get some of L4D's performance improvements, like the better multicore support, but not all of them. For example, we can't bring over some improvements without dropping support for DX8, which we're not prepared to do.

Doytch

SCOOOOOOOUUUTT!!

YEeeeeeeessssssssssssss!!!

I'm done. :D

* We're also working on bringing over a variety of engine improvements from Left 4 Dead into the TF2 engine, but it won't be a wholesale replacement of the engine. This means we'll get some of L4D's performance improvements, like the better multicore support, but not all of them. For example, we can't bring over some improvements without dropping support for DX8, which we're not prepared to do.

Sweet now I'll have to type in mat_queue_mode 0 or set the processor affinity each time I start TF2.

Twig

Banned
Patch is already out! Patch notes!

December 11, 2008 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

The Engineer's teleporters can now be upgraded to level three. It will recharge faster the higher level it is

The Engineer's dispensers can now be upgraded to level three. It will give out metal and heal faster as it is upgraded

Spies will be able to recharge their cloaking ability by picking up ammo off of the ground or from health cabinets

Some changes to the second part of the first stage of Goldrush to give the attackers more of an advantage

Any weapons that fire bullets (shotguns, sniper's machine gun, heavy's minigun, etc.) can now break apart the Demoman's stickybombs

The icon on the HUD for a person calling for Medic will now give more information to the medic (if the target is low on health, on fire, etc.)

Added an achievement tracker that will allow people to choose specific achievements that they are trying to get

There is now a custom icon for death messages when the player was killed from a critical hit

Added a new particle effect for when a player enters the water

Added smoke to the feet of a rocket jumping soldier

Players will now have some particles swirling around them so other players can see when they are overhealed

Reverse Valve Time? Also Im glad they tweaked 2 classes so people wont flood just one. I really like the new info for Medics.

Edit: Now I cant join servers. Is the patch actually out? Maybe mine didnt update correctly.

Twig

Banned
SleepingInsomniac said:
Reverse Valve Time? Also Im glad they tweaked 2 classes so people wont flood just one. I really like the new info for Medics.

Edit: Now I cant join servers. Is the patch actually out? Maybe mine didnt update correctly.
Most servers probably haven't updated yet, is all.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The sticky nerf sounds alright, but I am worried that it will make it too easy for Engineers to defend their sentry guns. On the other hand, if an Engineer has his pistol out to shoot stickies, he can't repair what damage is being done to the gun :D

Twig

Banned
New tele and dispenser are THE SWEETS.

Spy cloak recharge with ammo pickup is THE SWEETS. You can stay cloaked infinitely by standing next to a dispenser. And if you're disguised...!

Of course there's a catch -- it shows the healy beam on you. But if you manage to sneak in during hectic stuffs, no one will notice (at least not yet, I'm sure people will start checking). BONUS: level 3 dispenser recharges your cloak faster than it drains. Cloak recharges at a constant rate while next to a dispenser, like if you were being "healed" for cloak energy.

Faster ammo dispensing basically means engies get 40, 50, or 60 metal per tick to build new stuff. The rate of dispensing is not sped up -- just how much you get.

And the tele at level 3 is super fast. O:

In practice, demo sticky nerf doesn't really change THAT much. Although... I wonder if you can shoot a sticky mid-air. O:

Pieces of the stickies count as ammo (for engies, at least, I never bothered checking with other classes).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Played some nice games, I like all the updates, but think the new teleporter might be a little TOO good. It really depends.

Cheeto

TheOneGuy said:
In practice, demo sticky nerf doesn't really change THAT much. Although... I wonder if you can shoot a sticky mid-air. O:
Tried to skeet shoot earlier... maybe hit 1 out of 20...so hard to hit, but you can do it.

They changed level 1 of Goldrush, I do not approve.

Javaman

Sciz said:
Good games, guys. Wish I'd gotten a screencap of Team GAF sweeping the MVPs that one round. :D

I just happened to snap one. :)

2pq8j7t.jpg

The update does seem to be quite a bit overpowered. It's definitely thrown the balance off on some maps, but that's a good thing on some of them. pl_Badwater kinda sucks now. It was a tie for both teams at the second to last CP. Things really bog down there with the defending engineers having unlimited ammo and fast teleporters. I've got a feeling they're going to nerf things a bit, but I hope they wait a while to see how it plays out.

Doytch

Cheeto said:
They changed level 1 of Goldrush, I do not approve.

Me neither. My hot charts for Goldrush were completely red on the left balcony. Gonna have to figure something else out.

Oh and I bailed on F7 because of the horrendous lag I was getting from that server, which apparently others had also. So I jumped on OX.

Sciz

Javaman said:
I just happened to snap one. :)

The update does seem to be quite a bit overpowered. It's definitely thrown the balance off on some maps, but that's a good thing on some of them. pl_Badwater kinda sucks now. It was a tie for both teams at the second to last CP. Things really bog down there with the defending engineers having unlimited ammo and fast teleporters. I've got a feeling they're going to nerf things a bit, but I hope they wait a while to see how it plays out.
haha, excellent. I was half a second too slow hitting F5 to catch our moment of glory.

The third point on Badwater needs a side entrance for BLU to flank from. The other three do and still play fine, but all three routes to the third point come from essentially the same direction, and are easily covered by sentries and snipers.

Not sure what I think about the covered Goldrush deck yet. Not that BLU didn't need another viable staging area, but it would've been nice to see it happen without hurting RED's ability to use it as an offensive route.

NEW DISPENSER AM AWESOME.

They should make it a play a tune now that it (seemingly) has a radio at the top!

Won said:
Only tried the medic, but love the changes. Really helps.
They still need to add something so you can see how much ammo your patient has. Especially when you're wielding the Kritzkrieg. Sooooo irritating when you kritz someone whom only has 5 or so seconds worth of ammo left and didn't bother to tell you that prior to activating it. Especially annoying when they don't have a headset.

Hazaro said:
Played some nice games, I like all the updates, but think the new teleporter might be a little TOO good. It really depends.
Nah. It takes a long time to upgrade your teleporter to level 3, and you can only get away with that in the enemy's territory if they're being careless.

Javaman said:
A level 3 dispenser doesn't make a tanking Engineer that much harder to take down, if at all. Even though he has more metal to use now, he's (thankfully) still just as 'slow' as before when trying to fix his sentry while it's under fire.

firex

MicVlaD said:
NEW DISPENSER AM AWESOME.

They should make it a play a tune now that it (seemingly) has a radio at the top!
If they gave it a little perk where whacking it with the wrench would make it rotate between L4D, HL2, Portal (the radio music) and one of the TF2 music clips, that'd be pretty awesome.

Cheeto

Doytch said:
Me neither. My hot charts for Goldrush were completely red on the left balcony. Gonna have to figure something else out.
I just don't see how scout will be effective anymore there. Flanking is basically impossible now since you only have one avenue.

Doytch

Cheeto said:
I just don't see how scout will be effective anymore there. Flanking is basically impossible now since you only have one avenue.

I was having some fun jumping onto the right balcony from the red base as scout. Course that only works if you can keep them from building an sg in that house. As Pyro, you can't even do that though :(

Javaman

Doytch said:
I was having some fun jumping onto the right balcony from the red base as scout. Course that only works if you can keep them from building an sg in that house. As Pyro, you can't even do that though :(

Can soldiers and demos still get up there? Spies are definitely overpowered on defense in Goldrush set1, cp2. I spent the last five minutes of the game staying clocked 95% of the time while constantly tearing up their teleporter entrances. I'm sure the engineers were getting pissed. There's so much ammo around that you can easily just hang there never being seen.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Cheeto said:

If it wasn't for the Scout update being next, I'd think that Valve is completely phasing the class out. I rarely play it anymore since there are so many places he is completely useless.

Firestorm

I really feel like jumping back in. Destroying teleporters as a spy was so much fun and destroying a LV3 one would be so much more satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom