• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Althane

About to finish downloading this. Should I invest in a mic for this game, or can I survive with the basic text communication?

*hopes to be around playing Scout very soon*

Just got the Orange Box. TF2 is pretty fun; once I learn the maps it'll be even more so. Right now I'm still feeling out the classes but I'm digging the Heavy dude and the Sniper

immy

Banned
What i'm i doing wrong with my uber as a medic. Whenever i get it i right click so as to use the uber, but nothing happens.

Any help?

immy said:
What i'm i doing wrong with my uber as a medic. Whenever i get it i right click so as to use the uber, but nothing happens.

Any help?
Make sure Mouse2 is bound to your alternate fire is the only thing I can think of.

Althane said:
About to finish downloading this. Should I invest in a mic for this game, or can I survive with the basic text communication?

*hopes to be around playing Scout very soon*
I consider a headset to be a must, even though regular voice and text messages won't cripple you. It all depends on which class you'd like to "main", but it really is a great tool when playing as a medic for instance.

I wish having a headset was more of a standard on the PC though: I've played way too many games where no one says anything, let alone trying to co-ordinate attacks. The one thing I hate compared to the Xbox 360 version.

immy

Banned
No Means Nomad said:
Make sure Mouse2 is bound to your alternate fire is the only thing I can think of.

I tried it and it still didn't work

could someone go through a step by step guide of how to use the uber. Sorry for being such a noob.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Does GAF still have a private server for TF2? I havent played since like a month after its release and now with all the class additions and all i'll probably be lost if i enter a normal server full of unknown vets :(

Cheeto

immy said:

could someone go through a step by step guide of how to use the uber. Sorry for being such a noob.
I think there might be a specific bind for ubercharge check the entire list for it...
also,
Make sure your uber is at 100%

immy said:

Make sure you're not trying to use it with anything besides your Medigun out. The Medic can't Uber himself for attacking purposes, he has to have his Medigun out and be Ubering a teammate to get any attacking done. Hence the whole "Team" Fortress 2 thing.

Buggy Loop said:
Does GAF still have a private server for TF2? I havent played since like a month after its release and now with all the class additions and all i'll probably be lost if i enter a normal server full of unknown vets :(
Unfortunately, no. However, you can just friend a few of us on Steam and follow us into games, and you should be okay. There are a few good servers that we tend to play.

Just picked this up thanks to the Steam Sale.
Steamid: wutangorly

Couple of you may be on my friends list from the L4D thread, but thought i'd shout out here as well.

I've had this game for a while now, but I haven't been able to play it much until now (got a new computer). If anyone needs someone to play with just holla. Steam ID = GAZERK

theJwac

I picked up this game when The Orange Box came out on the 360 back in 2007. It was great until it became clear that any title updates weren't going to happen. The audience shrank and I decided to finally invest in a PC that could handle modern gaming titles.

Not that the Source engine is the most demanding one at this time, but whatever.

The day I received my new PC, the game was on sale for 10 bucks on Steam. Lucky me! It's been such a blast, this game alome is honestly worth the $$$ I spent on this rig.

Fireblend

Banned
I've been playing again lately, and I'm unsure if I had already posted my steam account in this thread, but I'll do it anyway; is this really the most active thread there is for TF2 here? I remember when it came out there was more activity, and I guess time (and L4D) had some effects on the excitement, but this game definitely deserves better.

Anyway, Add: Fireblend

The update from yesterday added a "Quick List" to TF2 and DoD:S. Basically shows you a random server that's playing each map you have in your maps folder, instead of the normal server browser.

I can only really see it being useful if you want to find a server for an obscure custom map without searching through with filters. Otherwise it reminds me too much of matchmaking.... :\

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
^ Yeah, just a bit. Still though, you're able to turn it off and on right there so I guess it's nice for certain things.

By the way, I've been playing a lot lately too. Rusty as hell though :lol

Twig

Banned
Um.

There's nothing wrong with matchmaking, or matchmaking similarities, as long as it's not required. And it never will be in TF2. Ever. Unlike L4D, there's no reason to make it required.

I will never understand all this unnecessary negativity.

Matchmaking is only flawed if it's the sole available option? It somehow becomes better if there's a server list as well?

The way L4D does it is fine, letting you choose the campaign and chapter you want. But the "playlist" stuff on numerous console shooters makes me want to tear my hair out.

Twig

Banned
What. WHAT.

Matchmaking is not flawed in either case (unless it just sucks period). The lack of options is the problem.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what these quick lists are trying to do, as long as it doesn't become the only option, thus removing an option that some people prefer.

Just like there's nothing wrong with what L4D is doing with matchmaking -- the only problem there is the lack of another option. On consoles this is an understandable limit, obviously.

But the entire point of matchmaking is to take away options. If you want to choose a map, see the number of players in a game, see your latency, and see any custom settings on the game you absolutely need a server list. If someone doesn't care about any of these things and will just take whatever comes up, then matchmaking is fine. I definitely care however.

Certainly the quick list is not something that needs to be removed; it just seems kind of pointless except in the custom map scenario I mentioned earlier. I assume it has to load all of the server list data in order to choose a suitable server for the quick list, so why not just view everything it turns up?

And why is it an understandable limit for consoles? Warhawk works great without any of that stuff.

fallout

BigKaboom2: I think the point you're missing here is that they're not taking away any of the tools you like to select your server, so why does it bother you that the option exists? I mean, sure, you don't see any point to it, but Valve seems to think otherwise!

fallout said:
BigKaboom2: I think the point you're missing here is that they're not taking away any of the tools you like to select your server, so why does it bother you that the option exists? I mean, sure, you don't see any point to it, but Valve seems to think otherwise!
BigKaboom2 said:
Certainly the quick list is not something that needs to be removed; it just seems kind of pointless except in the custom map scenario I mentioned earlier.
It doesn't bother me, I just don't really see the point.

And I don't know what's wrong with any of those sentences that were quoted...

firex said:
quick list seems cool to me. better than searching endless servers to find a specific map I want to play.
But you could just type the name of the map you want to play into the filter box, then sort by player count. Takes about the same amount of time as scrolling down to find it in the quick list.

firex

I've actually never done that because it wouldn't work right for me. maybe because I was trying to type in the actual map filename and not the map name (like cp_badlands instead of badlands), I'm not sure. still, this should make some of the custom maps I played maybe once or twice and enjoyed easier to play again.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've been playing it hardcore over the past week or so. Becoming a Medic master, 5 Ubers in one life but I'm certain I can hit better.

Fireblend

Banned
For some reason my game would start to hang and tell me about a connection error yesterday, even though I could verify I was still connected to Internet and all :( lost some kills with that.

And the lack of blog updates sucks, I want to know when that multicore support enhancement and the next character update are coming so GAFers actually start playing this again :p

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Hazaro said:
:[
I played some recently and still have it. Met a crazy demo that was rockin with only stickies though. Crazy bastard.

Was his name Learning Curve? I've been playing on the Lotus servers and that guy is always there, almost always a demo.. He's pretty wild.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
kozmo7 said:
Was his name Learning Curve? I've been playing on the Lotus servers and that guy is always there, almost always a demo.. He's pretty wild.
I don't think so... I mostly play on well -Q-, but now =eGo= and SLAUGHTERHOUSE

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am thinking of getting a Team Fortress 2 server for GAF, but it would be public, though GAF users would get slots and would be able to enter nevertheless if the room is full. What do you guys think? =)

Big-E

Having the old GAF server private is what killed it so open would be a lot better though I don't know how many gaffers would play on it since a lot of people have their own favorite servers they play on.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Big-E said:
Having the old GAF server private is what killed it so open would be a lot better though I don't know how many gaffers would play on it since a lot of people have their own favorite servers they play on.

That's why I am asking =P. I am willing to pay it, but only if there is enough support for it. GameServers (any reviews on them?) has an interesting offer that I could bite, but as I said... I need to know if there are enough people still interested in a Open GAF Server.

HAI GUYZ

104fd5w.png

YEAH THAT'S A BOMB CART

Ydahs

Relix said:
That's why I am asking =P. I am willing to pay it, but only if there is enough support for it. GameServers (any reviews on them?) has an interesting offer that I could bite, but as I said... I need to know if there are enough people still interested in a Open GAF Server.
I support it, but I probably won't be able to play much in a couple of weeks becuase of year 12 and the fact that I'm from Australia.

Teknoman

Relix said:

Me and everyone else in that topic I made say yeah :D

Twig

Banned
Relix said:
I am thinking of getting a Team Fortress 2 server for GAF, but it would be public, though GAF users would get slots and would be able to enter nevertheless if the room is full. What do you guys think? =)
ya fuck ya hell ya YA

Ahem.

Yes.

Rawk Hawk

I am debating picking this up soon. My PC isn't dominate computing force, but is above the Required specs, 1.8ghz processor, 768mb RAM, 512MB GeForce GPU card. The processor being the obvious stand out.

I think with some editing of the options I could each run it fairly smoothly, but I was looking for a test to download for TF2. Can't seem to find one, found one for HL2 but nothing for TF2. Would the HL2 give me enough of an idea that I could run it? Or is there a site I could find something to test my computers for TF2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
From what I have gleamed TF2 runs ~150% better than HL2.

I wouldn't worry about it if you have a 512MB GPU. Of course a model would be a lot more helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom