• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spies are so damn fun I once saw another sniper with the same name as me, that didn't took much to figure it out lol I love this game Crysis won't be the reason I'll upgrade my rig I tell ye

Jenga

Banned
omgimaninja said:
Before the match begins, I charge up my ubercharge as much as I can and usually rush out with Heavy/Demo/Soldier at beginning and unleash uber on first wave of enemies. Then I check on healing snipers/engineers (who are setting up sniping spots/building sentries) and go around other attackers healing as needed.

It's a rush constantly healing a Heavy who is mowing down forces while dodging their attacks yourself and looking for spies. Medics are picked off first by spies so you have to quickly switch to gun and shoot them before they get you :(

When a team only has 1 medic, you can't just focus on healing one attacker, but stand behind them and heal the attackers as needed. If one person gets real low I tell them to move back a bit so I can focus on healing them, then I heal the next person, so on.

If the team is doing ok, you can be ballsy and run into the base with a scout or other attacker and heal them all the way into the flag room. It's hard keeping your heal stream locked on a scout the whole time, but if you have support (usually from soldier) it's doable :)
My favorite thing in the world to do as a spy is to disguise myself as a heavy, call for medic, and then just run behind him and backstab the medic. I did that once like four times in a row and the enemy team just gave up trying to do the medic + heavy combo.

Prime crotch said:
Spies are so damn fun I once saw another sniper with the same name as me, that didn't took much to figure it out lol I love this game Crysis won't be the reason I'll upgrade my rig I tell ye

A few times I've seen spies disguised as myself, however, they weren't susceptible to any of my attacks until the disguise disappeared. Conversely, if I'm a spy and detected, I will take damage right away. Wha happened>

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MrCompletely said:
A few times I've seen spies disguised as myself, however, they weren't susceptible to any of my attacks until the disguise disappeared. Conversely, if I'm a spy and detected, I will take damage right away. Wha happened>

I don't think you see their blood when you shoot them while they're disguised. Makes them more difficult to spot.

soulzen

Game is so freaking fun, having a blast.

Here is me owning. :D

5z72n7n.jpg

Defcon

Banned
soulzen said:
Game is so freaking fun, having a blast.

Here is me owning. :D

Holy shit that must have been a long game.

I must say, I really like how Valve have handled the stats. Based on how well you do per life is more telling of skill than an overall total figure. It will always be challenging and more motivating to improve, whereas in other games, all your stats are in the thousands and you don't really take much notice after awhile.

soulzen

Defcon said:
Holy shit that must have been a long game.

I must say, I really like how Valve have handled the stats. Based on how well you do per life is more telling of skill than an overall total figure. It will always be challenging and more motivating to improve, whereas in other games, all your stats are in the thousands and you don't really take much notice after awhile.

I totally agree, I really like the per game stats, pretty awesome.

I did not think I'd like tf2 since I love tfc/qtf...but its damn fun.

Thaedolus

Wow I tried Scout for the first time today, I think I have my new favorite class. Mofo runs so fast and the double jump rocks!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Loving Scout, nothing like getting behind the other team and then clubbing them to death with the bat :lol

careksims

Coen said:
Wow, played a game with Friendly Fire turned on and it completely ruined it for me. Spies are impossible to uncover without blasting the shit out of your teammates.

Yeah I never going to go in games with FF on. Every time one of us come in we all shoot him to be sure >_>

Ikuu said:
Loving Scout, nothing like getting behind the other team and then clubbing them to death with the bat :lol

You can always agree to signal to teammates that you're not a spy by firing a weapon into the air/swinging your melee. Would de-costume a spy to do that.

Doytch

Man, loving it. Finally got around to playing it today what with the hell that is Comp Eng. Started out as Engineer, that was fun. Played a few other classes and really loved the Scout. So fun. Can't wait to play with more of ya, just played with PillowKnight.

1-D_FTW

Just played a nice game with PillowKnight.

I gotta say, I started playing Pryo in close courter control points, and I love him. Nothing like jumping into the middle of a medic and two heavies and having a barbecue.

It's also good for capturing points, cause you can blow fire in a circle motion and ferret out any invisible spies.

But for defense of control points, Pyro is a bit of an ass kicker.

EDIT: I'm not sure it's gonna net you the most points, but if your team winning is important, it's a valuable role.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm grabbing this now. Back in the HL days I think I played TF for like 5 mins once and never again. Is the learning curve going to be pretty tough for someone completely new to TF?

Defcon

Banned
Bebpo said:
I'm grabbing this now. Back in the HL days I think I played TF for like 5 mins once and never again. Is the learning curve going to be pretty tough for someone completely new to TF?

No. I hadn't played TF since Quake 1 days and it was easy to get into from the start.

1-D_FTW

I tried TF a couple years ago and got my ass handed to me so badly I just moved on. I wasn't gonna be cannon fodder for a game that old and ugly looking. So my TF experience was probably under an hour.

And I'm getting into it no problem. You might not be a superstar to begin, but there's plenty of things you can do fairly well off the bat.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Granery is an AWESOME map. Might be my new main after Valve completly ruined Dustbwol. Also, they need to get rid of Demo's sticky bombs(As in the sticky part of them), They're pretty much useless now. It's funny that they list him under defense, because the Demoman in tf2 has become an awesome weapon in tf2 as opposed to the defensive backbone he was in tf1.5. I think he's the only class that I don't like the overall changes to. He could use some fixin' up.

lexi

Banned
I was playing in a game yesterday with a Demoman that was fucking William Tell or something. His grenades would arc perfectly into whatever enemies were around him and would bounce conveniently ricocheting into enemies heads like some sort of ballet recital.

So satisfying to kill the fucker with my Bonesaw a few times.

There's nothing wrong with the sticky bombs at all. Why would you *not* want them sticky?

I also am completely in love with Dustbowl and Well. 2fort, not so much.

lexi

Banned
StephaneC said:
stop posting stupid caps, i can play 10 hours on 2fort only too :/

and heavy is the worst class ever, only for noob

Heavy I think is unfairly typecast as noob, But really, a medic + heavy in skilled players hands is devastating offense or defense.

StephaneC

yes it's devastating but not really interesting to play with ... and posting one good score with the heavy on an illimited map, that sux.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
There's nothing wrong with the sticky bombs at all. Why would you *not* want them sticky?
Because the point of the demo is to kill from the shadows with as little direct combat as possible. Valve says so itself. They work best in tight, closed hallways. However, you have to stand in the middle of those hallways now in the middle of direct combat since you cannot reflect the bombs of the wall, thus defeating the purpose of the demo.

EDIT: And yeah, posting caps as HWguy is teh phailure.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
EvaPlusMinus said:
Scouts seem a bit too strong, imho.

My goodness yes! I'm sorry, but a scout should NEVER be able to take out a soldier with 3 shotgun blasts. It's absurd.

Proven

ggnoobIGN said:
Because the point of the demo is to kill from the shadows with as little direct combat as possible. Valve says so itself. They work best in tight, closed hallways. However, you have to stand in the middle of those hallways now in the middle of direct combat since you cannot reflect the bombs of the wall, thus defeating the purpose of the demo.

EDIT: And yeah, posting caps as HWguy is teh phailure.

Um, don't you have both bouncing grenades and sticky grenades? Someone even made a post on this same page talking about a demo they faced that abused bouncing like crazy.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Proven said:
Um, don't you have both bouncing grenades and sticky grenades? Someone even made a post on this same page talking about a demo they faced that abused bouncing like crazy.
Yes, but the timed grenades aren't exactly as effective as the manual grenades.

Um, why is it that every other time I go to play it needs to download an hour long update? Has this happened to anyone else? They're not actually releasing patches, right?

edit: this is fucked up :|

"Because the point of the demo is to kill from the shadows with as little direct combat as possible. Valve says so itself. They work best in tight, closed hallways. However, you have to stand in the middle of those hallways now in the middle of direct combat since you cannot reflect the bombs of the wall, thus defeating the purpose of the demo."

Wha? They work best in any area, sans close range. Sticky bombs are meant as a defensive tool to create choke points/control territory, grenades for indirect lobbing. It all works just fine. The sticky bombs are ultimately much better to work with than if they bounced around. If there WAS a problem with Demo men, I'd say the grenade launcher clip should be upped to 5-6, and maybe a fraction faster rate of fire. The regular grenades are absolutely fantastic now that they detonate on contact.

firex

I don't really like demoman as much as I thought I would, either. but it's just that I'm new to TF so I don't really know the intricacies of it yet.

I agree with the consensus that pyro sucks. It isn't laughably bad or anything, but burn damage really needs to be stronger, and it should last longer too. And it's a bit cheap how any health powerup (not the medigun, but an actual health powerup) will cancel burning.

Medic to me is the other "noob" class in that all you really have to do is find a heavy/soldier/pyro/whatever and spam the medigun and follow them. It's pretty easy to pick up, but I'm sure there's a lot to mastering it.

I still haven't really bothered playing spy or sniper, and I only played a little bit as heavy and soldier. Engineer seems fun, but mostly good on cp maps.

Of course, the worst enemy for me has been crashes... which I think are actually caused by the steam community overlay or something. I finally changed all my settings so that they're low/medium to get the best performance out of my shitty old pc, and the game ran fine until I tried to shift+tab and message someone. then it crashed the game.

Cryect

Good game to all who were there tonight.

Teknopathetic said:
I also am completely in love with Dustbowl and Well. 2fort, not so much.

2fort is great when you have a team that understands how to be balanced and work together. Only problem is 80% of the 2fort games I join the teams are 80% spies and engineers with those actually doing offense charging in solo.

Easy_G

I need some help! I prepurchased The Orange Box on Sunday to get into the beta. So I began preloading TF2. It took quite some time, but I think it finally completed. (I can't be sure because for some reason steam always tries to update half my games, that have been updated, yet aren't downloading anything)

But when I try to play it just says "this game is currently unavailable. try again later." Anyone know why? Do I have to do something different to get the beta?

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Easy_G said:
I need some help! I prepurchased The Orange Box on Sunday to get into the beta. So I began preloading TF2. It took quite some time, but I think it finally completed. (I can't be sure because for some reason steam always tries to update half my games, that have been updated, yet aren't downloading anything)

But when I try to play it just says "this game is currently unavailable. try again later." Anyone know why? Do I have to do something different to get the beta?
Restart Steam

Easy_G

ggnoobIGN said:
Restart Steam

I have many times. And restarted my computer. This has been going on for a couple days. The constantly updating problem has never been a real issue. It just shows games as updating at 0% even though they just finished updating. And they all play fine. It's just that TF2 won't work.

"Medic to me is the other "noob" class in that all you really have to do is find a heavy/soldier/pyro/whatever and spam the medigun and follow them. It's pretty easy to pick up, but I'm sure there's a lot to mastering it."

The medic is somewhat an easy class, the real difficulty is finding someone who will PLAY medic. And on teams where there's nothing but snipers and spies, there's no real use in playing a medic or a heavy.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Because the point of the demo is to kill from the shadows with as little direct combat as possible. Valve says so itself. They work best in tight, closed hallways. However, you have to stand in the middle of those hallways now in the middle of direct combat since you cannot reflect the bombs of the wall, thus defeating the purpose of the demo."

Wha? They work best in any area, sans close range. Sticky bombs are meant as a defensive tool to create choke points/control territory, grenades for indirect lobbing. It all works just fine. The sticky bombs are ultimately much better to work with than if they bounced around. If there WAS a problem with Demo men, I'd say the grenade launcher clip should be upped to 5-6, and maybe a fraction faster rate of fire. The regular grenades are absolutely fantastic now that they detonate on contact.
Disagree with the bolded. Just like in TFC, you're going to have to learn how to use the bounce properly but it would be just as effective as something sticking. Sticking you don't have the option of hiding around corners and piping into hallways. Dustbowl is a perfect fit for doing such a thing.

Love the detonate on contact. The demoman is now an extremely effective offensive weapon, unlike in TFC.

Agreed on upping the ammo count. That's something everyone seems to notice almost right away, so I assume that will be fixed.

My god this game is soooooooooo good. I haven't had this much fun with a game in ages. I haven't really found a favourite class yet. Mostly been experimenting with all of them. I do love the medics though, surprisingly. Especially in a Heavy+Medic combo. If there was one complaint to be made, i kinda wish the respawn timers were shorter, but i can live with it. Also agreed on the ammo count.

I need some friends badly, so if you want to add me: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197978966752

lexi

Banned
The Medic is an easy class to play if all you do is follow somebody around and heal them. A good medic will frustrate the enemy endlessly keeping a whole offensive squadron alive, know when is an appropriate time to use Ubercharge, and generally just being a pain to the opposition.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Medic to me is the other "noob" class in that all you really have to do is find a heavy/soldier/pyro/whatever and spam the medigun and follow them. It's pretty easy to pick up, but I'm sure there's a lot to mastering it."

The medic is somewhat an easy class, the real difficulty is finding someone who will PLAY medic.
Haven't played any medic at all yet, but in tf1.5 it is possible to be a great offensive medic with some practice. Mainly an annoyance, but with his speed you can be in and out, diseasing an entire team. So I guess the question is, how is the offense for medic in this game?

lexi

Banned
ggnoobIGN said:
Haven't played any medic at all yet, but in tf1.5 it is possible to be a great offensive medic with some practice. Mainly an annoyance, but with his speed you can be in and out, diseasing an entire team. So I guess the question is, how is the offense for medic in this game?

Almost non-existent, although I think the bonesaw is pretty powerful in comparison to the other melee weapons. I always seem to 1-2 hit people with it as opposed to 4-5 hits with the scouts bat.

fallout

ggnoobIGN said:
It's not an offensive class at all. A medic is pretty much toast on its own.

Surprisingly ... I like it.

"Disagree with the bolded. Just like in TFC, you're going to have to learn how to use the bounce properly but it would be just as effective as something sticking. Sticking you don't have the option of hiding around corners and piping into hallways. Dustbowl is a perfect fit for doing such a thing."

However, people have (fairly quickly) learned how to spot and avoid grenades. They would just go around (or use chaingun fire to push them back rocket/grenade them away). With the sticky bombs you can place them in areas that are either not seen or places people aren't actually looking at. It's incredibly effective.

For example: Last night playing dustbowl on the 3rd stage, there's a corner right after the first capture point. I spent about 5 minutes just sticking the bombs to the wall of the corner instead of on the ground where they'd see them and lit them up time and time again. Also using the grenade launcher to bounce off the wall into them.

That said I *would* like grenades to be manually detonated (with no timer), and just have the detonate button only work for whichever weapon you were currently wielding. Meaning, you could only detonate grenades while using the grenade launcher, sticky bombs with sticky bomb launcher.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
lockii said:
Almost non-existent, although I think the bonesaw is pretty powerful in comparison to the other melee weapons. I always seem to 1-2 hit people with it as opposed to 4-5 hits with the scouts bat.
Speaking of that, the trailer made it look like the bat was one hit kill(From the back at least). Disappointed total. Though I guess he is powerful enough already.

ggnoobIGN said:
Medics should mainly for assists. If a medic is alone, by the time he switches to his syringe shooter you're lucky to get a few shots off before being killed :(

W/out infection the medic is now true support character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom