• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yup, which means a spy with a scout disguise is just plain dumb, he'll be found out immediatly, i've killed a couple of them since their speed were normal."

While the spy may not get the Scout's speed, he DEFINITELY slows down to other classes speeds. Try switching to an engineer or soldier then turning cloak on and off. Night and day.

1-D_FTW

MrNyarlathotep said:
I don't know exactly how Valve intended the Pyro to be played, but on FF off servers it is hands down the best spy hunter there is.

Torch everyone who comes near you, if they catch on fire they're a spy.

If they try and run by going invisible, they're still on fire and you can shotgun them in the back.

Yep (Although I just continue to torch them.) And it's great for maps for tightly congested control points. Somebody happens to slip buy, you torch them. It's a support role, but it's an offensive role.

There was a map we kept losing and I was constantly being confronted by hordes of opposing enemies. I thought, Pyro sure we be nice. And once I switched, I began racking up the kills and we didn't lose a single match while I played it.

Couple good strategies: Obviously use flanking techniques. Get as close as you can get, and THEN start torching them... and follow their direction until dead. The closer you are, the quicker they die. And most will go down fairly quickly if flanking.

Also, for team play, suicide runs play an important role in winning. If the opposing team comes rolling in with a offensive of heavies and medics (etc.) and you can drop from above, do it. Light them all on fire (and kill the medic first). Do as much damage as you can (Torch until everyone is dead or you're dead.)

The beauty of this tactic is: CHAOS. Their great offensive has suddenly turned frantic and everyone is trying to kill the damn Pyro. Meanwhile, while you're burning them, and they're desperately trying to kill you, EVERYONE else on the team gets free ranged shots at killing them. They can fire at will without return fire (Since everyone's focused on you.) Sure, they may kill you and win that battle, but they lose the war by having their entire offensive wiped out by the rest of your team.

That's the beauty of not listing deaths on the main scoreboard. people shouldn't be afraid of taking a death for the team. Sometimes a suicide run is the most valuable thing you can do and people shouldn't be afraid of doing it.

It's an awesome support class that makes all the difference on some maps.

lexi

Banned
Playing more and more of this game, I'm loving the medic class and loving the game, I swear the bonesaw has gotta do at least 60-70 points of damage per hit, I go on absolute rampages with this thing, hiding around until I regen back to a decent amount of health, healing assaulting teammates on the way, what a great game.

UT3 will have to be something very special to eclipse this.

outstanding games last night guys. It was great to play on a team that actually tried to play like a team, instead of a bunch of gung-ho HW or spies. I had a good run as demoman/engineer/solider. So was that server just an empty one you found, or is it setup by a gaffer? I would have liked to play a couple other maps. Not 2fort really, im already sick of that one, but some control point matches would be cool.

Cheeto

1-D_FTW said:
It's an awesome support class that makes all the difference on some maps.
I agree, I spent some time with the class last night, and I don't think it's as underpowered as people make it out to be. Defending on dustbowl, I would take that side-underground path that leads to that one corridor. From there I would end up in the middle of the other teams offensive. I could take a medic or two down and set a whole bunch of them on fire before being brought down.

1-D_FTW

WhatRuOn said:
I agree, I spent some time with the class last night, and I don't think it's as underpowered as people make it out to be. Defending on dustbowl, I would take that side-underground path that leads to that one corridor. From there I would end up in the middle of the other teams offensive. I could take a medic or two down and set a whole bunch of them on fire before being brought down.

Exactly. I guarantee if they make him more lethal, he'd be the most hated player in the game. You obviously don't play the class when there's no cover to be had, but when there is... watch out. He'd be a one man wrecking crew if he was any more lethal.

1-D_FTW said:
Exactly. I guarantee if they make him more lethal, he'd be the most hated player in the game. You obviously don't play the class when there's no cover to be had, but when there is... watch out. He'd be a one man wrecking crew if he was any more lethal.

Maybe the ones suggesting he is underpowered (like me) just haven't played with a good pyro yet. I certainly struggle playing him myself so it is perfectly possible that it is a much more technical class to play than at first glance, thus making him seem underpowered in the wrong hands.
I'll reserve judgement for a week or so and let people get more time in with him :)

bounchfx

as of yesterday I freaking LOVE the pyro.

I got the highest score in the game and was frying people by the dozen it was AMAZING.

just gotta understand how to play em.

this game is so fun.

I had some great games with GAF last night:)

Ubercharged medic+heavy is amazing at mowing down troops and while on defense, but I am in love with ubercharged medic+demoman. After seeing how batshit Cheeto went as demo it's my new favorite combination while on offense. The heavy has more firepower but is so damn slow while shooting, but the demoman rushes through the corridors killing everybody. The last round Cheeto played he ran through the underground tunnels destroying everybody and getting the capture point in under 30 seconds...it was sick!

I'm in love with this game :) I've convinced my brother, his wife, and 2 of my co-workers to buy the game so we can all play together.

Ferrio

Banned
That'll teach him to kill me!
solarin.jpg

Also, I wanted to add how powerful a developed sentry gun is! Once they're upgraded they are so hard to stop. It really takes teamwork to take down a well fortified one.

omgimaninja said:
Also, I wanted to add how powerful a developed sentry gun is! Once they're upgraded they are so hard to stop. It really takes teamwork to take down a well fortified one.

only takes a spy 5 seconds to destory it though :/

I think there should be a filter for FF games. I just played on a server with some cunt who stayed in the spawn point as a HW, killing us all. No admins about and other than that it was an excellent game, really spoiled things. His name's Mart if you run into him. The worst bit was, his score was better than anyone's. Beta glitch?

Scout is overpowered. Slow him down or gimp his shotgun, I'd prefer it to be the latter.

1-D_FTW

omgimaninja said:

Doesn't a rocket from a Soldier destroy it in one hit? I could have sworn I've done this multiple times, but it's such a peak-fire-run approach, I can't be for sure whether it was level 2 or 3 turrets.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
1-D_FTW said:
Doesn't a rocket from a Soldier destroy it in one hit? I could have sworn I've done this multiple times, but it's such a peak-fire-run approach, I can't be for sure whether it was level 2 or 3 turrets.

It depends on if there's an engineer behind it healing the shit out of it.

One of the most annoying things is trying to clear a defense with HWG + Medic ubercharge, and not being able to get close to the sentry (bullets pushing you back) and unable to damage it because an engineer is behind it healing the shit out of it

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
1-D_FTW said:
I think it takes like 2/3 missiles to take down a level 3? Not sure about level 2s.

Anyway, I had a good time last night as well. Just wished the server would rotate maps... Next time we should find a server with the new maps. I've barely played any of them.

Zanboo said:
It depends on if there's an engineer behind it healing the shit out of it.

One of the most annoying things is trying to clear a defense with HWG + Medic ubercharge, and not being able to get close to the sentry (bullets pushing you back) and unable to damage it because an engineer is behind it healing the shit out of it
That's why I'm in love with ubercharge Demo+Medic. Use the demo's speed to get close the the enemies and just bomb them all. So fun :)

That is assuming the demo could be able to dodge the sentry's bullets, isn't he alot faster than a Heavy??

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
omgimaninja said:
That's why I'm in love with ubercharge Demo+Medic. Use the demo's speed to get close the the enemies and just bomb them all. So fun :)

That is assuming the demo could be able to dodge the sentry's bullets, isn't he alot faster than a Heavy??

He's a bit faster, but as you get in closer they really start hammering you back. Of course the only way to test it is to Ubercharge and run at it. If you can get the engineer down, it's easy as pie, but it really requires a coordinated effort to do that, with the Heavy taking the brunt of the Sentry while someone sneaks around to get rid of the Engineer.

Bring on clan play :D

Cheeto

omgimaninja said:
I had some great games with GAF last night:)

Ubercharged medic+heavy is amazing at mowing down troops and while on defense, but I am in love with ubercharged medic+demoman. After seeing how batshit Cheeto went as demo it's my new favorite combination while on offense. The heavy has more firepower but is so damn slow while shooting, but the demoman rushes through the corridors killing everybody. The last round Cheeto played he ran through the underground tunnels destroying everybody and getting the capture point in under 30 seconds...it was sick!

I'm in love with this game :) I've convinced my brother, his wife, and 2 of my co-workers to buy the game so we can all play together.
Oh ya, we we're rocking. I love the demo class, the feel and the kill count remind me of UT with the biorifle or grenade launcher.

Woo-Fu

Banned
omgimaninja said:

If you can't get a spy to sap it then a soldier or a sniper is best as they both have longer range than the sentry gun. If you can't get the range then have the soldier do snapshots from cover.

I see people dying to sentry guns for no good reason quite often. I just switch to a soldier and show them how to take it out. The only really tough nuts are when the engineer is behind the gun and a full dispenser is behind the engineer. You have to get rid of or empty the dispenser before you can kill the engineer with splash damage and then take out the sentry gun.

lately I've been running into teams with 3+ spys so sentry guns don't live very long. Two spies coordinating with voice can run through sapping everything and backstabbing the engineers while they do it.

Out of curiosity if your a spy and your concealed as say an enemy doctor does it show the other team that you have the doctor's weapons or will it show the knife or pistol I'm actually holding?

firex

It shows you carrying around that class's weapon. when I first started playing, I saw a pyro who looked just like me and he was carrying the flamethrower. Not carrying the class's weapons would be a dead giveaway.

Xrenity

Just started, but for some reason, my name won't change to my nick. It just says [unknown], weird.

But the game itself is awesome :) Looks great and plays cool.

Nykad

Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone is experience problems like i am with TF2 but i would just like to spread the word a bit. Every 30 mins or so my system will crash while loading a new map or hang then crash during a game. Well according to this post it's due to a sister application that Steam uses to communicate with friends online while in game.

fallout

Nykad said:
Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone is experience problems like i am with TF2 but i would just like to spread the word a bit. Every 30 mins or so my system will crash while loading a new map or hang then crash during a game. Well according to this post it's due to a sister application that Steam uses to communicate with friends online while in game.
Hm. I was having similar issues. I'll give this a shot sometime. Thanks!

SuperEnemyCrab said:
This post makes me happy and sad at the same time.
If he beat it, I have no issue with him. I've had the game since it came out and I'm probably not even halfway through the game. Who's worse?

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Nykad said:
Hello,

I did this last night and it fixed my freezing issue. If anyone is getting the "looping sound" freeze you should give this a shot.

Oh and last night I activated Invulnerable, juiced up a Scout, and watched as he beat down a HWG with a bat. Amazing game, so worth it is right:)

besides the fact that the game crashes 20 seconds into it, how can i understand more about the classes and how to play this damn game! i wanna get into it!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
big black woman said:
besides the fact that the game crashes 20 seconds into it, how can i understand more about the classes and how to play this damn game! i wanna get into it!
Try updating your video drivers.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I know I said it early, but Spy on 2Fort is just so much fun, running around the sewers up onto the ledge, sap some deployables and then knife some fools. And then do it all over again :lol

Victrix

*beard*
Just some quick comments on the Pyro to add to the... haha, fire

I've spent several games playing him on various maps on O and D, trying to get a niche for him that I wouldn't be more comfortable just playing a Soldier, Demo, or Heavy

After a bit of work, I managed to top some scoreboards with him, and felt like I was actually contributing to my team's victory.

As already mentioned, he's the best anti-spy defense you can have, and if you are playing D, you frequently have the benefit of waiting around corners, in narrow hallways, and other terrain that favors the flamethrower

Second, you MUST use his shotgun as a finisher. The easiest way to kill someone is light them on fire, back up, and shotgun them to death. People panic while on fire, and even those that stay cool (haha), the Pyro moves very quickly, so only a few classes can stay near him. Staying at point blank with the Soldier, Demo, Heavy is suicide, dangerous against the Scout, and even 'weak' close range classes can still deal a lot of damage

Plus, using the 'stick and move' maxim, you tend to stay alive longer, and set more people on fire. Sometimes you don't score kills, and it's rough to have your contribution feel nebulous, but reducing multiple players to low health IS helping your team, even if it isn't quite as visible as mowing down half their offense as a Medic backed Heavy. Don't be afraid to just graze people with the flames and back off - you've done plenty of damage with just a second of close range, dangerous combat.

Speaking of the Medic, next to the Heavy, the Pyro is my favorite target for invuln, unlike a Soldier or Demo, he can fire his flamethrower until out of ammo, so you can absolutely go on a torching rampage with him

What else... be aware of the extra ammo locations, or ask (via voice, people listen more) for an Engineer to get up a Dispenser in a specific useful location.

Similarly, if you can get an Engineer to set up a teleport exit at a position that gets you close to the enemies defensive line, you can avoid the march across open ground - the worst possible terrain for a Pyro to be on

And on the topic of open ground, avoid it if at all possible. If you have to cross it to reach an objective, move through it quickly, using any available cover. Don't get distracted by enemies that aren't relevant to your objective, and DON'T try to chase people with your flamethrower. Take potshots from a distance with the Shotgun, it deals decent damage even at medium range.

In combat, abuse your flamethrowers lack of a reload. Against classes that have to reload, use your maneuverability to pepper them from a distance with shotgun fire while dodging rockets/grenades/etc, then close in when they have to reload with your flamethrower.

The Pyro BLOWS against turrets, avoid them, notify your team of their location, and move on to other goals. In a situation where your team is retarded and the enemy has a lot of good Engineers, you may not have a choice but to switch to another class, but that happens plenty no matter what class you're playing.

I still think it's goofy that he's labelled as an offensive class, but his anti-spy defense is one of the best in the game, and I also think it's weird that his secondary weapon is just as important as his primary for actually scoring kills, but he can be effective.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Is gaf playing on a specific server or its FFA so far? I'd like to play with steady peoples, not 13 years old that can only type gay/faq/bitch.

Victrix

*beard*
Likewise - in fact, if you start talking sanity via voice, your team will frequently start responding

I've rolled several pubs with an all pub team when none of my friends were on like that

Buggy Loop said:
Is gaf playing on a specific server or its FFA so far? I'd like to play with steady peoples, not 13 years old that can only type gay/faq/bitch.
I'm not sure :/ I just go to the GAF chatroom on Steam and join a game where other GAFers are currently in. Last night it was on a DFW server, dunno if that's the preferred one or not.

ice cream

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
As long as he beat it at least. But whats YOUR excuse????:D
Yes I've finish it :)

Damn this game is SO MUCH fun. But I can't really see the depth in here. I've only played TFC a few times but that had way more depth and a learning curve than this.
I'm sorta thinking playing this a lot won't really make a difference in the long run...

Cryect

omgimaninja said:
I'm not sure :/ I just go to the GAF chatroom on Steam and join a game where other GAFers are currently in. Last night it was on a DFW server, dunno if that's the preferred one or not.

Heh, hopefully we can find one tonight that actually changes maps.

ice cream said:
Yes I've finish it :)

Damn this game is SO MUCH fun. But I can't really see the depth in here. I've only played TFC a few times but that had way more depth and a learning curve than this.
I'm sorta thinking playing this a lot won't really make a difference in the long run...
The PC online gaming community never ceases to amaze, you'll see crazy strategies and tactics developing soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom