• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if you can say sniper is the most skill based class as skill is something you can learn. You can't really learn the quick reflexes needed to be a competent sniper.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
My favourite class is easily Medic, but sometimes you just get sick of being the backbone of a team and want to cause mayhem. I like the mechanics behind Engineer and if a team needs a meat shield I'll easily jump into the shoes of a Heavy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gully State said:
I dunno if you can say sniper is the most skill based class as skill is something you can learn. You can't really learn the quick reflexes needed to be a competent sniper.
He never said it was the most skill based.

imo Scout and Demo/Soldier are.

Everdred

I played this for 5 hours last night and had such a blast. The server had a "diceroll" mod, where you would say "diceroll" and randomly get a benefiting mod or a crippling mod, stuff like; rapid fire, high gravity, no ammo, 1 HP, 20 seconds of invincibiily, you become a giant bomb. They also had NUKE commands which would launch a giant nuke in your position or !gas which would gas the area, both of course could only be used at certain times.

70d2bea295a69a95f9cd93d587303188d1de203f.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
strange_booj said:
I played this for 5 hours last night and had such a blast. The server had a "diceroll" mod, where you would say "diceroll" and randomly get a benefiting mod or a crippling mod, stuff like; rapid fire, high gravity, no ammo, 1 HP, 20 seconds of invincibiily, you become a giant bomb.
I occasionally visit one which has !rtd
Good times.

No Clip, god mode, "toxic", invisibility, frozen, melee only, blind, drugged, bomb, on fire, gain team health, lose team health

The only thing really broken is a no clipping heavy that caps points before start up :lol

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Man I haven't played TF2 for so long. I have yet to experience it with my new video card. Someone please message me on Steam next time you play :D

Volcynika

http://www.tf2.com/post.php?id=2193

We're just about done with the Scout pack, and our design and coding has already moved on to the next pack. The weapons and achievements are all nailed down, and we just have to finish up the final artwork on them. We like to do the final art as late as possible to ensure that we don't waste any work, which turned out to be a good decision this time around due to the large number of unlockables we tried out as alternatives to the Scattergun. Balancing his replacement weapon has been very tricky due to large threat difference of the Scout between skilled and non-skilled hands. More on that soon.

In the meantime, here's a few answers to some questions we get regularly:

"When's the next update going to be out?"

* We've got an update that should be out tomorrow with a bunch of bug & exploit fixes. Later this week we hope to have another update out that changes the way we store your unlockable items. You shouldn't notice much difference, other than if you play on multiple computers we'll now propagate your item choices. You can think of that update as the one that moves your inventory into the Steam Cloud. Once that's out of the way, we'll be able to ship the Scout pack.

"Why did you change the minigun's muzzle flash away from the original one shown in Meet the Heavy?"

* That muzzle flash was one of the earliest effects that we put in the game and it was done before our new particle system was in place. As we moved forward with the effects we decided that such a cartoony hard-edged look to the effects didn't help the readability of the overall game. If the muzzle flashes and all the effects had well defined edges, they would visually compete with the rest of the TF2 world and the players. So it was decided that the effects should be much softer than the rest of the game so as to not overwhelm an already visually dense game.

"Why should I use Natascha? And doesn't she only do 66% damage, not 75%?"

* You're correct, there was a bug that caused her to lose 0.75 damage off each individual bullet she fired. She spits out so many bullets that a tiny amount like that added up to a significant difference. Tomorrow's update will fix that, and also includes a slight boost to the amount of slowdown she delivers. Our internal playtesters have been finding her much more useful, especially on the large number of Scouts running around with new toys.

"Why is the Sniper such a fake Australian? Aren't several members of the TF2 team Australian?"

* Yes, it's true, the Sniper is a fairly unconvincing Australian. Most of his lines make him sound more English than Australian, and the voice actor is clearly an English actor faking an Australian accent. As for why we didn't fight to make him more authentic, we though it was appropriate that he was about as convincing an Australian as the Demoman is a Scotsman, or the Medic a German.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Won said:
Wait! Soooo....Scout update next week?
Pretty much.

I'm going to be a heavy to get the 50 kill thing, then play scout on gravel pit preferably.

First 2 days are going to be hectic :lol

Good times...

t6us7a.jpg

50nsxt.jpg

firex

after so long away from the game I might have to play heavy instead of pyro now to get back into the swing of TF2. Not sure really. I didn't like how slow he is (obviously he has to be with his gun and massive health) but after so long I doubt I really remember how fast/slow it feels to play anyone but scout.

They even went back to talk about the first Meet the Team video, interesting. I watched one of the teasers, one I hadn't seen in a long time, and I'd completely forgotten about the Demo's bolo TNT (that fractures into tinier explosives). I hope he gets that back as an unlockable weapon in his pack, it looked like a lot of fun.

I can't wait for the new Scout toys, and I'm happy they're fixing Natascha, it always seemed like it was a lot weaker than it was supposed to be.

Oh, and I spotted this the other day and thought I should post a follow-up. The hacking on the 360 version is getting surreal. This is way beyond roadie-run ninja flips and meleeing through walls, this is reshaping the level for everyone. :lol Quick snaps off a bad TV, sorry.

TF2_360_2FortSteelDoors1.jpg

When I first got here, people were gunning through the spawn door, which stays open. One of the med cabinets is gone.

TF2_360_2FortSteelDoors2.jpg

There is a line of steel doors connecting the two battlements. Such a weird sight. :lol

TF2_360_2FortSteelDoors3.jpg
TF2_360_2FortSteelDoors4.jpg

The missing med cabinet. Both sides are blocked off. Sewer entrance is blocked off too.

One of the big problems with the hacks is that they're apparently infectious, the modifications will carry over to people who try to host after they've played them if they don't reboot the console first. I reported the person hosting this to Live and only remembered that tidbit later, but I'm not convinced he was innocent at the same time.

Kulock said:
I can't wait for the new Scout toys, and I'm happy they're fixing Natascha, it always seemed like it was a lot weaker than it was supposed to be.
As a testament of how weak the current Natasha really is: a Sasha-equipped Heavy with no Medic tagging along can still win against a Heavy with Natasha and a Medic behind him. Even when the latter Heavy has overhealth and the other does not. That's a huge difference in power.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Added percentage to UberCharge HUD panel for the Medic

Added upgrade progress and levels to Engineer HUD panel for all buildings

Added check in CTF HUD to make sure it doesn't point at disabled capture zones when the player is carrying the flag. Allows map authors to have more than one capture zone for each team in the map

Changed AutoTeam to give new players to the attackers on attack/defend maps if the teams are even

Fixed Natascha not getting the proper 75% of damage and slightly increased the strength of Natascha's slowdown

Fixed cloaked spies having a particle-beam effect while standing next to a dispenser that's healing them
:D

firex

that scout concept looks like an esurance version of Jerry Seinfeld.

although checking out the blog post, I saw one of the sketches had a scout with a submachinegun. I doubt that's going to be an unlockable, but some kind of rapid fire gun with a scout would be kind of interesting.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Play a few hours today, broke off the rust.

Still got my semi sniper skills and scout abilities :)
Did good as soldier too.

Got the Icing on the cake achievement as well.

firex said:
although checking out the blog post, I saw one of the sketches had a scout with a submachinegun. I doubt that's going to be an unlockable, but some kind of rapid fire gun with a scout would be kind of interesting.

The Scout actually had the submachine gun originally. Skip to the end of the trailer on the TF2 site, at the end you'll see an old group shot, the Scout is on the far right holding it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gully State said:
I'm curious, what do you guys think the new natascha? I can't really tell the difference tbh..
I can't either. :lol

I had a lot of fun today, Scout I have settled in my rhythm and it's fantastic. Soldier I've recovered my skills and demo as well. :D

0-600 is 90% Scout, 600-1000 is soldier/demo

I would of thought my ratio would of been higher, but I'm not a conservative player. Nor do I really care. :D

hl22009-02-0114-05-57-85Large.jpg

Spy rush worked surprisingly.

hl22009-02-0114-07-09-93Large.jpg

hl22009-02-0115-56-28-96Large.jpg

hl22009-02-0119-27-45-00Large.jpg

hl22009-02-0120-43-03-56Large.jpg

Unrelated

hl22008-12-1715-33-20-85Large.jpg

hl22009-01-0921-56-06-35Large.jpg

hl22008-12-2723-30-21-71Large.jpg

MNC

Gully State said:
Was there recently a nerf to the invisibility of the spy cloak ?

*Fixed cloaked spies having a particle-beam effect while standing next to a dispenser that's healing them

*Spies will be able to recharge their cloaking ability by picking up ammo off of the ground or from health cabinets

Nahh.

Edit: I think I've misread your post, but cloak = 100% invisible to the other team as always.

I've never really played the heavy weapons guy, he's not aggressive enough for how I play but in preparation for the scout patch I'm trying to get enough achievements to get natasha. Of course I don't cheat and use achievement servers, 11 so far. It's pretty slow tbh.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Not too hard for Heavy use, you just gotta play him right. At times he is worthwhile to bring out for attack, but most of the time he's just a rock that annoys the shit out of everyone going against him. I hate Snipers and Spies as Heavy and to avoid them you have to be smart in where you move etc. Everything else is a cakewalk.

As for the Natasha fixes, I haven't really fiddled with it since they boosted it up, but I can say that having one Heavy on the side using Natasha helps quite a bit.

Cheeto

MrPing1000 said:
I've never really played the heavy weapons guy, he's not aggressive enough for how I play but in preparation for the scout patch I'm trying to get enough achievements to get natasha. Of course I don't cheat and use achievement servers, 11 so far. It's pretty slow tbh.
I just recently got the heavy's gloves...it did take awhile.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MrPing1000 said:
Heavy was pretty easy, just play as him and you'll get it. I think it took me 3 hours.
If I knew the Big Pharma one though I wouldn't of walked into the enemy spawn with 16 kills :[

MNC said:
*Fixed cloaked spies having a particle-beam effect while standing next to a dispenser that's healing them

*Spies will be able to recharge their cloaking ability by picking up ammo off of the ground or from health cabinets

Nahh.

Edit: I think I've misread your post, but cloak = 100% invisible to the other team as always.

ok b/c I called out a cheater last night on a server (wasn't 100% sure if I was right). Basically this sniper was just owning the bridge on 2fort (He was sniping from the bottom left of the entrance). Usually I don't bother but he seemed too good (our team had 3 snipers and he was basically headshotting them and pretty much anyone else who dared set foot on the bridge) so I went into spectator and started watching him. Everytime a spy passed by while in full cloak, he would pull out his secondary weapon and back away then when the spy passed him, he would start chasing while the spy was still cloaked. I can't say that he was aimbotting but he definitely could spot invisible spies.

Gully State said:
ok b/c I called out a cheater last night on a server (wasn't 100% sure if I was right). Basically this sniper was just owning the bridge on 2fort (He was sniping from the bottom left of the entrance). Usually I don't bother but he seemed too good (our team had 3 snipers and he was basically headshotting them and pretty much anyone else who dared set foot on the bridge) so I went into spectator and started watching him. Everytime a spy passed by while in full cloak, he would pull out his secondary weapon and back away then when the spy passed him, he would start chasing while the spy was still cloaked. I can't say that he was aimbotting but he definitely could spot invisible spies.
Odds of that being an aim botter is low. Aimbotter would've head shot the spy cloaked.

Remy

Another update is out.

New client features:
- Added view model FOV slider to advanced multiplayer options.
- Added a hide view model option to advanced multiplayer options.
- Added custom crosshair support.
- Added crosshair image, scale, and color settings to the Options->Multiplayer settings tab.
- Moved HUD minimal mode & Disable Spray options into the Advanced Multiplayer settings.
- Added "open_charinfo_direct" command that opens the loadout directly to the class you're currently playing.
- Replaced the "Open Loadout" entry in the options->keys dialog with this new command. Rebind / reset your config to defaults to use it.

New server features:
- Added "tf_damage_disablespread" convar to disable the 25% damage spread on all damage.
- Added class limit support to tournament mode.
- Set the "tf_tournament_classlimit_X" convars to the max number of class X allowed.
- Added "tf_tournament_hide_domination_icons" convar, that allows a tournament mode server to force clients not to display domination icons over their nemeses.

Gameplay changes:
- Modified critical hit calculation. Overall, critical hit chance is now much more recent-performance based.
- Base chance is now 2% (was 5%).
- Bonus range based on damage done changed from 0%-15% to 0%-10%
- Damage range required for bonus changed from 0-1600 to 0-800.
- Reduced random damage spread applied to all player damage from +-25% to +-10%.
- Slight reduction (improvement) of the minigun's spread.
- Increased flare direct hit damage from 20 to 30.
- Rewrote Natascha's slowdown code to be more consistent.
- Sniper rifle now supports Crit Boost state like all other weapons (i.e. Kritzkrieg makes all shots critical hits).
- Stealthed spies are no longer able to pickup the intelligence. They must uncloak first.
- Increased soldier primary ammo count from 16 to 20.

Bugfixes:
- Added UTIL_IsCommandIssuedByServerAdmin() checks to several "physics_" CON_COMMAND scripts to prevent clients issuing the commands.
- Fixed bug in teleporter logic that allowed engineers to build teleporters with HUGE health values.
- Fixed matching teleporter not getting a health buff when the pair is upgraded (only the tele you were hitting got the health buff).
- Fixed Medic ÜberCharge percentage in minimal-HUD mode.
- Protected against an HLTV related server crash.

Note that we are still working on the client timeout and lag issues.

PillowKnight said:
Odds of that being an aim botter is low. Aimbotter would've head shot the spy cloaked.

I agree that he probably wasn't aimbotting, or if he was, he was hiding it fairly well. However, he definitely knew the exact location of cloaked spies.

1-D_FTW

Meh. Started playing a couple weeks ago again and the whole rocket thing doesn't really excite me. The amount of times I empty my entire load before dying or don't pick up ammo from people I've killed, isn't very often. I still maintain 16 only hurt if you were rocket spamming from safe, isolated spots. Otherwise you're either gonna kill or be killed and ammo shouldn't be that big of an issue. I wish they would have done 5 and 15. Or brought back reduced splash damage when you "rocket jump" without jumping. When I didn't wanna jump that high, I'd just aim straight at the ground and that would give a middle jump. You do that now and you're on life-support.

fallengorn said:
4 more rockets. Wooo!

I'm having a hell of a time killing anything with rockets anymore. You would think two to the face of a charging Scout would be enough to take him down, and it feels like there's a real difference to the area or severity of the splash damage effect compared to what it used to be. People dance around my explosives like they were nothing. It makes you wonder, why even bother playing as Soldier anymore when it feels like you get 95% of the same benefits, and different ones beyond that, by playing as Demoman instead?

Cheeto

Kulock said:
I'm having a hell of a time killing anything with rockets anymore. You would think two to the face of a charging Scout would be enough to take him down, and it feels like there's a real difference to the area or severity of the splash damage effect compared to what it used to be. People dance around my explosives like they were nothing. It makes you wonder, why even bother playing as Soldier anymore when it feels like you get 95% of the same benefits, and different ones beyond that, by playing as Demoman instead?
Why play any of the classes when you can just play spamoman.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kulock said:
It's easier to play soldier as you can get the splash and don't have to manage lobbying stickies. If you are up to using demo then by all means use it.

As a scout I've been killed way too many times by 1 non-crit rocket, which I thought was not possible, but it's happened to me about 5 times.

Just aim for the feet and they are dead.

MNC

Big-E said:
I think you are right. In my first game post patch I was playing as a soldier and was getting crits everywhere.
Same here, I almost got atleast 1 crit every 4 rockets! Maybe they lowered the base chance but upped the calculation outcome! :lol

Neat-o, increased damage for the Flare Gun.

Also: Natasha's pretty powerful (against anyone but a Sasha Heavy) now with all those changes. Even the slowdown effect has been significantly improved compared to its original state, as I could barely walk as a Pyro anymore when I got caught in its line of fire today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom