• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawk Hawk

GeForce 7600 GS 512mp AGP 8x

It's made by PNY, but has the Nvidia logo, which means little to me, with a 1.8ghz pentium 4, it's pretty obviously I don't update my PC much.

I will try this portal and see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

A bit of an aside, but I thought this might get a chuckle out of a few.

In a thread not too long ago, I grumbled once more about the lateness of Valve's 360 TF2 patch when the PC side has seen the most minor of play adjustments. I do feel a little bad now when I recently learned the hassle of 360 patching (supposedly a developer only gets 4 or 5 meg out of the game's lifetime, cumulative, and only the main executable can be directly patched), but I still would like it fixed. I play the PC version here and there, but my PC isn't quite up to spec yet to play it smoothly, leading to a lot of frustrating, preventable deaths, and I've just had a lot more practice and some good memories on the 360 side.

Short of it is that someone piped up to berate me for carrying on about it, that I was the biggest bitch in the world for wanting it sooner. As if it was greedy to want major problems in the game you paid for fixed.

So It just makes me feel a little smug when I join a random matchmaking game on TF2 360, and see a sight like this.

TF2_360s_Just_Fine.jpg

Now I don't hate Valve or anything, in fact I love their work with the game so far, and can't wait to see what's in the Scout update. I just hope the 360 gets to share in a bit of their love soon. :D

FightyF

Banned
I was one of the guys waiting for TF2 since like, 1998, with my buddies...and I bought this game a while ago but never even played it until I upgraded my vidcard just recently. BOY this game looks sexy! I've created my own server sometimes just to look around...with the motion blur it looks freaking fantastic!

Now, on to actually PLAY the thing!

FightyF said:
I was one of the guys waiting for TF2 since like, 1998, with my buddies...and I bought this game a while ago but never even played it until I upgraded my vidcard just recently. BOY this game looks sexy! I've created my own server sometimes just to look around...with the motion blur it looks freaking fantastic!

Now, on to actually PLAY the thing!
This. Played the game on a piece of shit PC (it could only handle a repeatedly fluctuating framerate of 20 - 25 per second with every setting on Low) for about 550 hours, and the difference when you play this on a build that can handle everything on max is astonishing.

MNC

Hazaro said:
Yeah, with a 1.8Ghz Pentium 4 that's not really gonna play 60fps. i have a 2,6ghz with a 7600gt and I play high + 1024x768(native) and I mostly get 30-60, unless I enter battle when it drops to 20 easily. TF2 has a kind of borked particle system :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I get about 80 outdoors, 140+ indoors, 40 in an extreme fight (Think CP_Gravelpit first point)

<3 my rig. I'm honestly surprised it's not dead in someway. I must of done something right. :lol

It scaled back pretty well though, so just tone down stuff until you get enough fps imo. I'd take fps over looks anyday for this kind of game.

Rawk Hawk

I ran into errors on both high and medium video settings and 1024x768. With everything on low it ran 'decent.' I can see how portal can be fairly difficult though. I think I will probably pick up the orange box somewhat soon and try it out. I bet it will run decent enough to play, but probably not awesome.

In the market for a new PC anyway this one is about 6 years old and dying fast.

fresquito

I got this game a couple days ago. I've been having a blast, it's so awesome. I mainly play CP in Dustbowl, so I get the ins and outs of the characters before I lose myself in new levels.

Anyway, In the characters section the game says "You still have not found any item", or something like that. How do you find or unlock items?

firex

class achievements. So far though they're only available for medic, pyro, and heavy. eventually they'll be available for scout, too. Valve does these one at a time and Left 4 Dead slowed down their work on TF2 for awhile.

fresquito

BTW, is there any word on when The Scout update will hit? I hear there will be an update for multicores along with the Scout. I'm eager to try it out, since I can only run the game on 1024x768 at max with silky framerate.

fresquito said:
BTW, is there any word on when The Scout update will hit? I hear there will be an update for multicores along with the Scout. I'm eager to try it out, since I can only run the game on 1024x768 at max with silky framerate.
Nobody except Valve knows.

MNC

fresquito said:
Multicore support?! STATE YOUR EVIDENCE MISTER :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
MNC said:
Multicore support?! STATE YOUR EVIDENCE MISTER :D

I am very interested in this. I remember I used that "code" and it bumped my FPS to 45, something high for my PC who runs it at 30. Sadly it crashed a lot. I hope they can bring great performance updates though :D

Volcynika said:
Needs quotes!
With Left 4 Dead now launched, the team is once again turning its attention to future TF2 updates. The Scout is the next class slated for the special treatment, and Walker expects the update will be available early this year. Additionally, the team is juggling a number of side projects at the moment, including finally bringing a year's worth of the downloadable content and upgrades to the Xbox 360 version of the game. A new Payload map is in the works, more community maps are on the way and the team will soon unveil a very different new game mode.
As work continues, Valve is also slowly chipping away at a laundry list of problems that crop up over time between the character classes. Among other large-scale issues on the agenda, Walker says the Spy's disguise has nearly reached the end of its lifetime. Over time, average players have become much better at detecting and dispatching disguised Spies, making the ability pretty useless for all but the sneakiest of players. Additionally, Walker feels the Engineer's sentry guns have become "too binary." They're highly lethal to some players and wholly ineffective against others. Sentry guns are also easily dispatched by skilled players, leaving Engineers with little recourse. Keeping a delicate balance is important, as is adjusting problems that arise from the way players utilize the different abilities of each class in the game.
Amazing, I don't know how valve does it,but these guys are constantly on the ball.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Walker says the Spy's disguise has nearly reached the end of its lifetime. Over time, average players have become much better at detecting and dispatching disguised Spies, making the ability pretty useless for all but the sneakiest of players.
Mask unlockable that makes it so players can walk through you but uses cloak or has an inaccuracy of the player model? Even more hardcore balancing, 3 shots drops your disguise, or you can't disguise in cloak.
Make it happen! :D

New payload = love

Cheeto

PillowKnight said:
Needs quotes!

Amazing, I don't know how valve does it,but these guys are constantly on the ball.
I don't know, I love being a spy...I don't think it's 'that' bad, but a little more spy love wouldn't be bad.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheeto said:
I don't know, I love being a spy...I don't think it's 'that' bad, but a little more spy love wouldn't be bad.
Cloak on ammo pickup is still ridiculous :lol
I love it so much.

fresquito

I'm in love with this game. It's so much fun.

I've tried to play as a spy, but it turns out it's too hard for a newbie like me. Today I've been playing as a Pyro, and it's been my best show so far. Once you start to get into the mood of each class, everything is easier. At first I liked killing people and went a bit crazy. But today I took the "let's toy with them and make them angry and a bit insecure of their position" role and it went much better than previously.

It seems obvious, but at first it wasn't not as much obvious to me :lol

fallengorn said:
I guess more Engineer tweaks are coming, besides the weapons.
"Spy sappin' mah Gundam!"
In all fairness, I'm fully expecting a moveable level 4 sentry that the Engineer can control himself. If he upgrades it to that extent, then the Engineer should be completely vulnerable in that state. There should also be a maximum distance between the sentry and its creator before it loses its signal.

Regarding the Spy's disguises: I have no ingenious idea what would make them a whole lot more viable, though I would suggest that Valve adds the option to switch your dummy weapon while wearing a disguise (and maybe make it possible for a Spy to alter the appearance of his health meter). Those are the two main reasons why veteran players recognize Spies almost instantly, and it doesn't help that Spies can never disguise themselves with the unlockable weapons (such as the Backburner).

Oh, and I believe the article also mentioned that Valve's currently designing a new class as well, even though re-balancing each and every character with their own major update is naturally a higher priority.

fresquito said:
I'm in love with this game. It's so much fun.

I've tried to play as a spy, but it turns out it's too hard for a newbie like me. Today I've been playing as a Pyro, and it's been my best show so far. Once you start to get into the mood of each class, everything is easier. At first I liked killing people and went a bit crazy. But today I took the "let's toy with them and make them angry and a bit insecure of their position" role and it went much better than previously.

It seems obvious, but at first it wasn't not as much obvious to me :lol
Pro-tip: never use the Backburner once you actually unlock it. It's trash and the Pyro loses a lot of its flexibility without the regular flamethrower.

fresquito

MicVlaD said:
Pro-tip: never use the Backburner once you actually unlock it. It's trash and the Pyro loses a lot of its flexibility without the regular flamethrower.
Up until now, I've only unlocked the fire gun, or whatever it's called in english.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As a Medic, I abhor the Pyros that suicide-run on me during Ubers. It only leads to their death and to my own death if I follow them all the way through.

The ones that do the damage then run back with me are the best ones to partner with. I find the Pyros main purpose is to annoy and disrupt the "calm" before a team might attack, similar to how a Spy will backstab a Medic waiting on an Uber.

Hazaro said:
Cloak on ammo pickup is still ridiculous :lol
I love it so much.

Nothing like running toward an ammo box, and having it snap out of existence in front of you for no visible reason. :lol

MicVlaD said:
In all fairness, I'm fully expecting a moveable level 4 sentry that the Engineer can control himself. If he upgrades it to that extent, then the Engineer should be completely vulnerable in that state. There should also be a maximum distance between the sentry and its creator before it loses its signal.

I actually liked the idea someone here suggested before of a "Sentry Puppy". Level 1 turret (maybe a little slower than that, even) that follows the Engineer around, right mouse/left trigger toggles between Stay and Follow. You can upgrade it up to a Level 2 Sentry, but it can't move after that, it's rooted in place until it's destroyed or destructed by the Engineer.

The voice clips for it could be gold. The Engineer talking about having to put the Sentry Pup down if he needs to destruct it, and if it gets destroyed, he cries out random dog names woefully. "Sir Woofums, nooo!"

PillowKnight said:
More like fail tip, BB is awesome.
Naw, Backburner makes the Pyro significantly weaker on most maps. Especially annoying if ally Pyro's use them on maps where it's practically impossible to approach a good opposing team from behind (such as Gold Rush on offense). The Pyro also becomes much less of a threat versus Soldiers or Demomen, since they don't have to worry about their projectiles being thrown back at them anymore.

The final nail on the Backburner's coffin: downright useless when an über charge does get triggered, despite your best efforts to kill medics beforehand. With the regular flamethrower you can still juggle 'em around until your ammo / their über runs out, or (even better) only use one - two compression blasts near a sentry to literally catapult them back where they originally came from, if not further than that.

The regular flamethrower has multiple practical uses, some of which I haven't mentioned. The Backburner on the other hand? Only one, and even then the game's hit-detection occasionally doesn't co-operate when you do get behind an enemy.

fresquito said:
Up until now, I've only unlocked the fire gun, or whatever it's called in english.
The Flare Gun. I think it goes Flare Gun -> Backburner -> Axetinguisher.

firex

the only one of the pyro upgrades I still use (at least back when I played regularly) was the axetinguisher just because it could sometimes lead to quicker heavy kills, or even the ability to kill someone while being healed by a medic.

I don't really like the backburner much either, but I like the utility of the flamethrower because the slightest lag makes backburning someone pretty tough.

MicVlaD said:
Naw, Backburner makes the Pyro significantly weaker on most maps. Especially annoying if ally Pyro's use them on maps where it's practically impossible to approach a good opposing team from behind (such as Gold Rush on offense). The Pyro also becomes much less of a threat versus Soldiers or Demomen, since they don't have to worry about their projectiles being thrown back at them anymore.

The final nail on the Backburner's coffin: downright useless when an über charge does get triggered, despite your best efforts to kill medics beforehand. With the regular flamethrower you can still juggle 'em around until your ammo / their über runs out, or (even better) only use one - two compression blasts near a sentry to literally catapult them back where they originally came from, if not further than that.

The regular flamethrower has multiple practical uses, some of which I haven't mentioned. The Backburner on the other hand? Only one, and even then the game's hit-detection occasionally doesn't co-operate when you do get behind an enemy.
Well yes, I know of all the things the BB doesn't do. Where's the part where you downplay its 1HKO capabilities? It's not necessary to ambush to make use of them, flailing around like an idiot can work too. Moreover, all the AB pluses you mentioned aren't foolproof. For example, standing in the way of a full uber rush is, or should be, a good way of quickly being run over.

Really don't want to get into this debate though, which is weird since I used to love this stuff.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I normally do not use the BB, but on some maps like badwater I do sometimes.

The AB + Axe works just as well.

I find that the BB is easier to aim with though.

speedpop said:
As a Medic, I abhor the Pyros that suicide-run on me during Ubers. It only leads to their death and to my own death if I follow them all the way through.

The ones that do the damage then run back with me are the best ones to partner with. I find the Pyros main purpose is to annoy and disrupt the "calm" before a team might attack, similar to how a Spy will backstab a Medic waiting on an Uber.
I used to just do suicide runs like that, but lately I've realized the wisdom of retreating before the Uber is done.

As for Pyro upgrades, I used the Flare Gun for a very long time and just recently switched back to the Shotgun. I forgot how useful the shotty is in most situations. The Flare Gun is only really useful for distracting distant enemies, especially snipers. The Shotgun is a lot more practical in the near-to-mid-distance work that the Pyro usually does.

firex

yeah, I basically used the flare gun for a bit, got the achievement, used it a day or two longer, then realized it didn't really suit the pyro at all so I went back to the shotgun. About all it's good for is destroying a sentry or a dispenser left unattended out in the open or something, and in most cases you can kill those faster by just sneaking up on them and then burning them at short range.

It would help if the flares had more of a "kick" to them if you hit an enemy that's already burning from one. I can hardly tell I'm doing any more damage to them with a second flare shot, and they're usually at the range where I'd switch to my shotgun to try to finish them off.

MNC

Ydahs said:
*sigh*
2mzcfau.png

Looks like it's time to replace my graphics card... :(
Oh! Oh! I had a fix for this but I forgot.

Please try typing the following in the console:

mat_dxlevel 95 - DirectX 9 with HDR automatically enabled.
mat_dxlevel 91/90 - I don't know of any difference between 91 and 90, but it's DirectX 9 which gives phong and rim lighting, the proper tf2 graphics.
mat_dxlevel 85 - same as DirectX 8, but gives softer shadows than 80.
mat_dxlevel 80 - DirectX 8, low graphics, no HDR or phong, guaranteed to work if it really is the gfx card.

Hope it works.

fresquito

How awesome is this game? This game is SO AWESOME.

I've already put over 25 hours this week. And almost every game has been a blast. I already have a couple of fave servers, which helps big timein having goodgames. Up until now I've spent most time playing with the Pyro, the Heavy, the Medic and the Engeener. However, this morning I've been trying the Demo and have been having so much fun. The game really starts to feel like a second skin once you get in the role of the character. It just clicks and playing is easier and much more satisfying.

Still, since I'm a newbie when it comes to PC gaming, still it's hard to play with the Scout, and to a lesser degree, with the soldier. Acuracy is more needed with those.

I guess this have been asked and answered many times, but what are your fave classes?

Davidion

fresquito said:

I've already put over 25 hours this week. And almost every game has been a blast. I already have a couple of fave servers, which helps big timein having goodgames. Up until now I've spent most time playing with the Pyro, the Heavy, the Medic and the Engeener. However, this morning I've been trying the Demo and have been having so much fun. The game really starts to feel like a second skin once you get in the role of the character. It just clicks and playing is easier and much more satisfying.

Indeed, one of the game's strengths is that you gain a lot more from the experience once you settle into how the character should think.

fresquitoStill said:
With soldier, go for splash damage by aiming for floors and walls near your target. This is a key skill while playing as solly.

firex

fresquito said:

Still, since I'm a newbie when it comes to PC gaming, still it's hard to play with the Scout, and to a lesser degree, with the soldier. Acuracy is more needed with those.

I guess this have been asked and answered many times, but what are your fave classes?
pyro, spy, and sniper. Pyro is my most played by a ton, while I've basically just played spy for fun because it's really tough to learn now that everybody shoots through your disguise immediately. If I have to play some kind of defensive class, I pick sniper because I really hate guarding a spot with an engineer, but a lot of defensive spots aren't as good for sniping for me as they are to play pyro or spy or something else.

I think my least played classes are medic/heavy. I don't really hate heavy, but I honestly don't like the medic much. I tried it with achievements and I just hate how it's probably the most hardcore co-operation based class of them all.

after the scout update I'm going to play scout more though. I think my biggest problem is even with low mouse sensitivity, the scout moves so fast it's hard for me to aim with them. and since I don't play scout much I tend to forget about the double jump and just think of it as "that guy that runs fast and has a big shotgun."

I mainly like Pyro so much because it's simple to learn but tough to master, and very fun to play strategically to the point that the enemy team starts hunting me down instead of going after objectives.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
fresquito said:
I love them all.
Seriously. :D
Decent with all of them, worst is probably engie and heavy.
Demo/Sniper are at top playtime.

More recently I've been playing more Spy/Pryo, but I'll do whatever the team needs.

Haven't played in over 2 weeks though.
firex said:
After the scout update I'm going to play scout more though.

I mainly like Pyro so much because it's simple to learn but tough to master, and very fun to play strategically to the point that the enemy team starts hunting me down instead of going after objectives.
Play Scout like an ambushing pyro with a flaregun obsession.
Best map to practice defensive scout is GravelPit imo. That's where I got my 12 kill streak before being backstabbed by a spy on A after I killed a heavy :lol
Jumping on Heavy's heads with a bat and watching them spin around 6 times to find you is hilarious every time. Never gets old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom