• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Not my fault it was instant respawn garbage with spy class bugged out. But a man's not a camel.

I'd rather jump into Heavy or Medic. My true callings!

Twig

Banned
speedpop said:
No sarcasm. After the round I said to my friend that if I ever had to pick up a sniper rifle again in TF2 I'd probably kill myself.
Then.......

I don't know how to respond.

I am broken. YOU BROKE ME.

(I mean, don't get me wrong... Snipers should be removed from every game ever. At the very least, if people want to cheat, developers should make it harder than just picking "the Australian!"

But insta-spawn 2fort as a gauge for the class? Preposterous!!!)

speedpop

Only one who seems to have much contempt for Snipers is TheOneGuy. I'm indifferent and base my own experiences on fooling around on an instant respawn server and prior to that I had barely put in 2 hours into the class. But as I said previously, a good friend of mine plays Sniper like a king who continually saves my Heavy arse so there's no reason for me to hate it.

Twig

Banned
speedpop said:
Only one who seems to have much contempt for Snipers is TheOneGuy. I'm indifferent and base my own experiences on fooling around on an instant respawn server and prior to that I had barely put in 2 hours into the class. But as I said previously, a good friend of mine plays Sniper like a king who continually saves my Heavy arse so there's no reason for me to hate it.
I don't hate snipers. Just the people who play snipers. ):

Bonk's definitely great in the right situations. Not worth giving up your pistol in modes like Arena, but for Capture Points, there's nothing like rushing in to a room, causing a Demoman to blow his carefully-laid sticky trap to the Scout's chirping "Didn't hurt!", either clearing the way for your teammates or beating a hasty, mocking retreat.

I was playing on Egypt on a server and found I could prime Bonk drinks with virtually no down-time, something I couldn't repeat later on a different server. Odd glitch. Is it something to do with hitting the ammo cabinet while under the effects?

benjipwns

Banned
If you stand by the ammo cabinet, you can stay in Bonk-mode forever, and it gives you another drink to use. It also refreshes your ball count instantly, I had like 20 balls rolling around in spawn.

benjipwns said:
If you stand by the ammo cabinet, you can stay in Bonk-mode forever, and it gives you another drink to use. It also refreshes your ball count instantly, I had like 20 balls rolling around in spawn.

No, I could do it far away from the ammo cabinet. There's supposed to be a lag time after you run out of steam that you can't pick the Bonk drink again as far as I know, but I could load another one up as soon as it started zooming back to 1st person view and use it.

Sciz

Ran across a guy today who was abusing an infinite Bonk! bug, though it wasn't very useful as he couldn't move while doing it. I managed to kill him once though, and it netted me Dance Dance Immolation. :lol

I've quickly grown to love the Axtinguisher. Exceptionally satisfying kills.

And Egypt sucks.

MNC

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Gameplay changes

Added a duck timer that prevents duck spamming while running around on-ground

In-air, players are only allowed to duck once before they touch ground again

Fixed several bounding box issues with jumping, falling, and rocket jump air-walking. Bounding box should be much more accurate there now

Increased backstab check so that Spies can side-stab again

When disguising, Spies now always start showing the primary weapon in their disguise, and can then switch it with the last-disguise key

TF2 Fixes

Fixed flamethrower loophole that resulted in the flame effect being stuck on while the flamethrower wasn't really firing

Fixed exploit that allowed players to circumvent the force-fire timeout on the pipebomb launcher

Fixed a bug that caused Natasha's slow on hit effect to be inverted from 75% to 25%

Restored sawmill_logs.mdl file, fixing some user maps that used it

Fixed some localization issues with Scout achievement strings

Removed the "Final" phrasing in the map loading screen

Engine fixes

Fixed a server crash on startup under Linux

Fixed a buffer overflow issue related to network string tables

Gamestats uploading is now done asynchronously. This fixes the client timeout issues on map changes

CP_Junction

Fixed an exploit where engineers could build a teleporter exit in an invalid area

Fixed a few bad overlay assignments and other minor issues

SIDESTAB IS BACK :D

What was the reason of the duck timer though?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MNC said:
SIDESTAB IS BACK :D
What was the reason of the duck timer though?
Dunno.

I duck pretty quickly as a Heavy though to avoid snipers, works like 30% of the time :lol
In-air, players are only allowed to duck once before they touch ground again
Hope Scout double crouch jump is still in, you need that to get to some places.
I mean I wouldn't think they'd remove it, but still.
Fixed flamethrower loophole that resulted in the flame effect being stuck on while the flamethrower wasn't really firing
About time, it's existed for months.

1-D_FTW

Hazaro said:
About time, it's existed for months.

Maybe it's just some weird lag artifact, but I've had that randomly occur ever since the game released. When it happens, I'd only stop if I hit the fire button again. Not sure if that's the same.

Wow, they made backstabbing cheaper on purpose, after they fixed it. So now it's faster and you don't have to be directly on their back. That's stunning, after all this time of trying to "fix" it. :lol

The ducking thing seems extremely strange. What was wrong with ducking?

Fixed a bug that caused Natasha's slow on hit effect to be inverted from 75% to 25%

I still wonder about that "accident" :D Now that everyone's got their Scouts up to Milestone 3.

Sciz

When disguising, Spies now always start showing the primary weapon in their disguise, and can then switch it with the last-disguise key
Awwww. It was so easy to pick out the crappy spies.

Wow, they made backstabbing cheaper on purpose, after they fixed it. So now it's faster and you don't have to be directly on their back. That's stunning, after all this time of trying to "fix" it.
I think Valve made the right decision. A lot of people saw the face stab as an exploit, but after nerfing the face stab (which I was sorely disappointed in because the Spy doesn't need to be nerfed more than he already is), I am happy to see that he can side stab much more easily.

Too many times have I seen spies work hard to get behind their enemy, only for their stab attempt to fail even if it looked like it should have worked, all because they have to hit someone that zig zags often or is doing something as innocent as looking around. If this will reward actually sneaking up behind people, then this IS fixing the Spy. The spy doesn't need facestabs, he needs to actually be able to back stab people consistently.

Capndrake

Crouching thing is so ridiculous. Now you can't even use certain shortcuts anymore because crouching in midair doesn't get you high enough for some reason.

Also, they didn't fix the timeout bug at all, servers crash even more now :\

firex

the crouch bug is an error with the character bounding issues apparently. but I'm not going to play until they fix it.

KittenMaster said:
Too many times have I seen spies work hard to get behind their enemy, only for their stab attempt to fail even if it looked like it should have worked, all because they have to hit someone that zig zags often or is doing something as innocent as looking around. If this will reward actually sneaking up behind people, then this IS fixing the Spy. The spy doesn't need facestabs, he needs to actually be able to back stab people consistently.

That's true. Still, the reward is an instant kill, only avoidable by being invunerable. It should be hard work to land a guaranteed killing blow in the first place. I guess it all depends on just how wide of a side-stab counts. They were probably pretty conservative with it.

Come to think of it, I wonder if that will be the unlockable version of the Spy's knife, a knife with instant kills on frontstabs. :lol You'll never know which kind of Spy is coming to get you then.

firex

ice cream said:
Whats a "character bounding"?
It's some kind of weird thing with changing people's hitboxes as they crouch/how they interact with objects. I might have said the wrong word because I was just going off memory about what was said about fixing it.

so can someone explain the utility of the new scout gun (FAN)

It feels no stronger (perhaps weaker) in most situations and the 2shot limit is a constant annoyance. Also having it fuck up your double jump is kind of annoying too. I just dont see why I would be using this gun besides hoping to be at point blank range against all my enemies

Suburban Cowboy said:
so can someone explain the utility of the new scout gun (FAN)

It feels no stronger (perhaps weaker) in most situations and the 2shot limit is a constant annoyance. Also having it fuck up your double jump is kind of annoying too. I just dont see why I would be using this gun besides hoping to be at point blank range against all my enemies
*Unlike the regular scatter gun, you can quickly 1HKO any surprised or close range opponents by firing two shots as one(aprox. 200dmg).
*The high rate of fire means you can fire two shots(again, possible 200 dmg as opposed to scatter gun 100), back into cover to reload, and so on. Think of this tactic as similar to playing soldier.
*"More bullets" means that near misses deal more damage.
*It's possible to push people away thus making yourself harder to hit.

PS Valve : Please take the sandman out of the game.

March 6, 2009 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

• You can now duck twice in the air. Scout double jumps reset the in-air jump counts
  • Increased the jump velocity to account for the tuned bounding box sizes. Jump height should now match the prior-to-last-update heights
  • Added "tf_clamp_airducks" convar, set to 1 by default
    • Setting it to 0 will remove all constraints on ducking while in the air. Useful for servers running RJ challenge maps

A quick fix. I don't notice the duck timer or limitations, so that's good at least.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been messing with recording demos recently and my previous non-issue is a bit of a bother.

When TF2 loads a map it will minimize itself.

So when I go back in a demo it'll minimize which is pretty annoying since there is no rewind feature.

Any ideas?

speedpop

I've come to the conclusion that there are a quite a few Scouts who are too reliant on The Sandman being used as an offensive weapon. Either that or they are pretty bad at the class itself.

Was mopping them up using default Scout on Payload because it's pretty simple dodging the ball that's hit. They then tend to hesitate once it misses and go "screw it I'll take him down with the F-A-N anyway" but I tend to dodge one shot or both anyway.

I think once it unlocks I'll only use it for defensive purposes.. double jump is too good.

Twig

Banned
speedpop said:
I think once it unlocks I'll only use it for defensive purposes.. double jump is too good.
Since that's obviously for what the Sandman is supposed to be used, this isn't a bad plan.

I want a GAF server again. ):

firex

I think I might go for the FAN when I get it, but I'm not sure. I kind of like the ambush playstyle, so it might be more useful there.

DataBot

Could someone sell me his U.S. Steam account with TF2 .
I can only get the castrated version with burgers and ducks here.
(ill pay with paypal)
thx

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I played with FAN for about 2 hours yesterday.

I can't use it for shit and I dislike it.

I don't think I'll be using any of the Scout unlocks if I am to play Scout, if I wanted to be a defensive class, then I'd pick demo.

The Steam client update messed up the in-game overlay. Try joining a game a friend is in using the overlay when tf2 is open and the overlay will crash. Steam forum members are confirming the same issue. Should be fixed very soon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ThaiGrocer said:
The Steam client update messed up the in-game overlay. Try joining a game a friend is in using the overlay when tf2 is open and the overlay will crash. Steam forum members are confirming the same issue. Should be fixed very soon.
That happens kind of regularly for me.

Capndrake

DataBot said:
Could someone sell me his U.S. Steam account with TF2 .
I can only get the castrated version with burgers and ducks here.
(ill pay with paypal)
thx
Not allowed to sell Steam accounts. There is a patch though, go Google "TF2 bloodpatch".

DataBot

Capndrake said:
Not allowed to sell Steam accounts. There is a patch though, go Google "TF2 bloodpatch".

The patch doesnt work anymore . Steam already closed the hole.
I dont care if its isnt allowed..
Fuck germany for treating their adults like kids.
Ill pay 20 Euro PM me anyone.
Anyway thx Drake.

ice cream

Banned
DataBot said:
The patch doesnt work anymore . Steam already closed the hole.
I dont care if its isnt allowed..
Fuck germany for treating their adults like kids.
Ill pay 20 Euro PM me anyone.
Anyway thx Drake.
http://g2play.pl/
go to the bottom, click on UK. Orange box only 9 euro. They send you a code and I'm guessing its the polish code...

Or why can't you make yourself a US account urself and use paypal to buy it from the steam store?

DataBot

ice cream said:
go to the bottom, click on UK. Orange box only 9 euro. They send you a code and I'm guessing its the polish code...

Or why can't you make yourself a US account urself and use paypal to buy it from the steam store?

They are doing it through ip checking even if i enter us it wont help.

DataBot

ice cream said:

If its a polish retail key i can buy it so what is it?

DataBot

Well hello there here I am fucked by Valve and Steam again! bought it from this Shop and got fucked again burgers and ducks just great.
Fuck You Valve and Fuck You Steam!

ice cream

Banned
DataBot said:
Well hello there here I am fucked by Valve and Steam again! bought it from this Shop and got fucked again burgers and ducks just great.
Fuck You Valve and Fuck You Steam!
Dude I think you should've made a US account and used the code on it!

And if you want, send me the money I'll buy it for you off steam (Im in the UK, its proper blood and everything). But then if you log into it, will it still see ur IP and make you download the german TF2? I'm pretty confused by this.

Or buy another code from that website, give it to more, and i'll enter it on a UK account....

ah who knows

DataBot

ice cream said:
Dude I think you should've made a US account and used the code on it!

And if you want, send me the money I'll buy it for you off steam (Im in the UK, its proper blood and everything). But then if you log into it, will it still see ur IP and make you download the german TF2? I'm pretty confused by this.

Or buy another code from that website, give it to more, and i'll enter it on a UK account....

ah who knows

Sent you a PM.

I've come to the conclusion that the sandman is a fucking awful weapon.

Anything that takes control away from the player in a fps is fucking stupid.

It's too fast and too accurate, the flare gun is harder to aim.

It's the I WIN button against every single class.

And the FAN is kinda meh, it doesn't really have any significant advantage to bother using tbh, other than getting to high places.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MrPing1000 said:
I've come to the conclusion that the sandman is a fucking awful weapon.

Anything that takes control away from the player in a fps is fucking stupid.

It's too fast and too accurate, the flare gun is harder to aim.

It's the I WIN button against every single class.

And the FAN is kinda meh, it doesn't really have any significant advantage to bother using tbh, other than getting to high places.
Agreed.
Instead of 0-1 scouts on a 32 player server there are now 6, and it's not beneficial to either team.
Although as BLU we did take Gravelpit with 9 scouts which was pretty funny :lol (They went spy)

FAN is enjoyable to getting to a few more spots on maps, but it isn't really justified. It is however annoying just like the Sandman.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The Sandman needs to fucking die. If they do for whatever reason decide not to destroy it, there is NO FUCKING REASON it should affect Ubered players. The Sandman pretty much makes the Scout the ultimate defense class, and that's not right in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom