• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeto

Blizzard said:
Since I haven't been banned at NeoGAF yet, I guess I should say the following, since I just noticed when trying to find the thread.

WHY THE HECK DID THIS THREAD GET MOVED TO THE ONLINE FORUM. AUGH. THE KILLZONE 2 THREAD IS STILL IN GAMING DISCUSSION WHY IS THIS HERE.

Or maybe I should have just bumped a different Steam/TF2 thread, if there are still any TF2 threads in gaming. :(
Killzone 2 has a deep and rich story that people like to discuss, much like the Halo games.

Twig

Banned
Cheeto said:
Killzone 2 has a deep and rich story that people like to discuss, much like the Halo games.
The deep character interaction between the scout and heavy, the war over the sandvich... some of the most touching dialogue I've ever heard!

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
Since I haven't been banned at NeoGAF yet, I guess I should say the following, since I just noticed when trying to find the thread.

WHY THE HECK DID THIS THREAD GET MOVED TO THE ONLINE FORUM. AUGH. THE KILLZONE 2 THREAD IS STILL IN GAMING DISCUSSION WHY IS THIS HERE.

Or maybe I should have just bumped a different Steam/TF2 thread, if there are still any TF2 threads in gaming. :(

I like that the thread is in this forum. It's like our own secret club over here. And the thread is always on page 1.

Firestorm

This thread got moved here when there was a huge push to make this sub-forum active. Things were really strict at the time and this thread was one of the victims of that time period.

Anyway, MULTI CORE SUPPORT :O I need to start playing again.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Online has always been a section I visit anyway. The WoW thread is continually bumped every day with tons of goodies.

Dark Stalkers said:
Anyone have any tips for a newbie pyro?

I'm not the best, but here's a few I could think of.

Get used to shooting small puffs with your flamethrower, eating up only 1 or 2 ammo units. Use these as you're traveling or spy-checking around the base. You'll be surprised at how often empty air turns into a burning human form. :D Don't forget to shoot above friendly Engineer builds occasionally.

Often you're playing Pyro like a big bulky Spy with no cloak. Sneak around the enemy as much as you can, don't attack unless you're sure you've got a prime shot or you've been spotted, and once you've made your way around them, start ripping into them from the back. So learn the low roads, the paths less traveled, but don't be surprised if you bump into a Spy or Scout along the way.

The fire from your flamethrower fans out as it travels, and is carried a little bit by physics. You can use that to edge Engineer buildings around corners, such as Sentries. Watch for the sparks and listen for the fizzle sound effect.

For all the complaints and mocking about W+1 (Running forward and holding down the flamethrower button), sometimes some much-needed stalling is gained by a Pyro's suicide charge, especially on defense. It throws them off-guard, it causes several people's health to be chipped down, it messes with their Medics to have four or five people screaming for them suddenly, and you'll be back in 20 seconds. Don't do this all the time, though, it needs to be a surprise when you do pull this card.

If you see an Uber team and you have the normal flamethrower, run for the Medic and try to air blast him away from his target as far as you can. Off of ledges after they've climbed up to a high capture point works well.

Know when to switch away from the flamethrower to a more suitable weapon. You've got the same running speed as most other classes, so if they're too far away to you to hit in the first place and they're actively running from you, chasing after them and holding the fire button isn't going to do anything useful. The Pyro's shotgun is good for medium-to-long range targets and finishing off burning enemies.

Hopefully that gets you started.

Proc

Firestorm said:
This thread got moved here when there was a huge push to make this sub-forum active. Things were really strict at the time and this thread was one of the victims of that time period.

Anyway, MULTI CORE SUPPORT :O I need to start playing again.

It really works well. I was in a server, though and a bunch of us were experiencing crash-to-desktop hl.exe errors. I think they might have to issue a hotfix.

undrtakr900

ice cream said:
But see, if a demo is comming round a wall to take down some sentires.. like say on dustbowl part 3 on 1st CP... the pyro can keep pushing them back.
I found the best defense against a Demo is a Heavy by a Dispenser.

An Uber-Demo was coming to take out the sentry farm and I(Heavy) managed to destroy all his stickies before they could take out the sentry:D

Also mini-gun spam acts as a second knock-back effect on rushing Pyros.

firex

Dark Stalkers said:
Anyone have any tips for a newbie pyro?
The shotgun is a godsend against lighter classes if they run away from you. The flare gun is also really good for this, but moreso against the slower classes like engineers, snipers and spies.

The only real pure upgrade over standard weapons is the axtinguisher. Yeah, it won't do good damage against people who aren't burning, but if you can unlock it, it becomes really good against heavies or medics.

Never chase someone unless you know they're about dead or you've got a lot of health, or if you have the backburner and they're running away from you and not just backpedaling.

If you can sneak up on a sentry and get in its face before it hits you, you will kill it regardless of what level sentry it is. Strafe around sentries while you burn them to kill level 2 sentries without taking serious damage. Level 3s are still tough to kill this way but you can do it.

Don't hesitate to make the enemy pay for bad teleporter locations by camping the exit and killing whoever pops out, especially if it's a level 3 exit.

Because of your short range, you are generally best used to defend CPs, not so much cap them. You can cap them, of course, but if there's a lot of people on the point already, you're better off going ahead to clear out enemies or at least stall them from taking it back.

Never use the airblast on demo grenades. You can kill stickies with the shotgun and quite frankly the airblast is pointless for moving them back.

Try to take health packs before anyone on the enemy team can, as this way they burn longer and you stay alive longer.

Whenever the other team is clumped up in a location, as long as you can get behind them, do so, but be quiet about it until you're close enough to burn them all. It's good to spycheck as you move, but you don't want to give away your position, especially considering how unique the flamethrower's sound is.

Sciz

firex said:
Try to take health packs before anyone on the enemy team can, as this way they burn longer and you stay alive longer.
More to the point, it is better in some cases (mostly defensive) to focus on lighting as many people as possible on fire rather that going for outright kills. There are only so many medical resources to go around and you'll substantially weaken or kill everyone who misses out, making it trivial for your team to mop up the survivors. Even if you don't kill anyone, you'll still cause enough disorder and panic to weaken them as a unit for a moment.

And since it can't be emphasized enough: Spycheck everyone, up to and including completely empty space. Pyros completely neutralize spies and your team will love you for it, especially when you nail a spy who was heading right for the medic.

Twig

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
Anyone know why sometimes my server list will say 29/33 players and I join and there's only 4?
I'm not 100% but I assume it's server owners spoofing the numbers to get more people to join their servers.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Just got the game recently. Is there a brief guide to each class out there that you feel is reliable?

vumpler

Cheeto said:
The "How to play __" youtube videos are great places to start.
sweet i'll check em out. For example in WoW tankspot videos are choice, didn't know if there were parallel guides for TF.

I'll try em out.

Oreoleo

vumpler said:
Just got the game recently. Is there a brief guide to each class out there that you feel is reliable?

Like someone else said a page or two back, if you're feeling uncomfortable with your playing ability play as medic and latch yourself to one of the people on the team with the highest score. Follow them around and observe how everyone else is playing. You'll pick it up in no time, really.

Proc said:
It really works well. I was in a server, though and a bunch of us were experiencing crash-to-desktop hl.exe errors. I think they might have to issue a hotfix.
Well they did say this first update was sort of a trial-run for stability/compatibility and that's why the option is defaulted to off. There will undoubtedly be another update in the coming days/weeks.

Is the new multicore support actually new or is it just the same as the very crashy console command thats been in the source engine for years?

The old consolde command wud give me like 50fps but it would crash all the bloody time.

firex

oh yeah, another tip: just spam the flamethrower in all directions while you're on a dispenser. chances are you're on it for health more than ammo, but it will refill your ammo faster than you can use it, and spies love to go attacking engineer setups. So you're the perfect defense for that spot.

Cheeto

MrPing1000 said:
Is the new multicore support actually new or is it just the same as the very crashy console command thats been in the source engine for years?

The old consolde command wud give me like 50fps but it would crash all the bloody time.
I can't tell if the new option makes any difference. My FPS is still basically the same 70-90.

Javaman

fireX pretty much nailed it, but I'd like to add that pyros are excellent at engineer support. If you're on a defensive team and you see a demo throwing charges at a sentry try to blow them away. Shooting would take too long. That combined with the spy detection and blowing back ubered attackers would go a long way towards helping the defensive. Pyros and especially demos work better then most when paired with a medic/uber and can clear out most smaller buildups assuming the medic runs out with you. If attacking a sentry both should run towards the sentry to minimize pushback.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Spycheck. Spycheck. Spycheck.

Whilst most Pyro players tend to just rush out and cause as much damage as possible as it is an offensive-based class, but where it truly shines is in defending. Engineers, Medics and Heavies will love you for spychecking constantly, and airblasting Ubers out of the way/air-juggling them or timing some crit rockets back at a Soldier being Kritz'd is basically a given.

Davidion

The Pyro is also designed for ambushing and group takedowns, especially if you go the backburner option. Learn the major traffic routes, and take advantage of the blind spots that many assault squads tend to not pay attention to; combined with the fact that many uber pairings will both focus in the same direction and you've a great recipe for a blinding takedown. An ubered heavy with demo and soldier support suddenly isn't so threatening when the medic and the heavy are burnt husks and the other two are on fire. Even if you only take down one member, you've either considerably diminished the enemy squad's capacity and/or bought your team members valuable time to take them down or prepare for their advance.

Also don't forget in close combat that your attacks don't stop, so learn to maneuver yourself as if you would as a scout at close range and your life span will be dramatically increased.

Javaman said:
fireX pretty much nailed it, but I'd like to add that pyros are excellent at engineer support. If you're on a defensive team and you see a demo throwing charges at a sentry try to blow them away. Shooting would take too long. That combined with the spy detection and blowing back ubered attackers would go a long way towards helping the defensive. Pyros and especially demos work better then most when paired with a medic/uber and can clear out most smaller buildups assuming the medic runs out with you. If attacking a sentry both should run towards the sentry to minimize pushback.

What the fuck happened to your avatar?!

I recently bought this off of Steam as well ( had to make a 'should I or should I not?' -thread here at GAF, too ), and now I'm trying to learn the ropes.

Is there a way to get to play with you guys, though? Any servers you guys regulate? I'd love to get some TF2-playing Steam-friends, as none of my real-life friends play TF2 regularly at the moment.

vumpler

Holy shit the spy is fun! :lol

This game feels like CS with warcraft 3 mod on almost. It gives me that same feeling at least. I love it after 2 hours!

I'm in to play with other gaffers!

vumpler is my steam name

btw: I found a fun noob friendly server:

TF2 newbies Only #5 No crit Arena
IP: 69.147.251.166:27015

benjipwns

Banned
I guess this is what was causing the crashes after the last update:
Valve said:
Team Fortress 2 Update Released
March 19, 2009, 5:20 pm - Valve - Product Update
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Game changes

Fixed decal related crash

Removed upper limit for the "tf_flag_caps_per_round" convar

Server changes

Fixed players being kicked from servers with an INVALID_STEAM_TICKET rejection

Added a message to the server console to show when the server has reconnected to Steam

Anyone getting major lag from the server update? I wasn't getting any myself but almost everyone in the game i was in was complaining about it(more than usual anyways)

undrtakr900

LAUGHTREY said:
Anyone know why sometimes my server list will say 29/33 players and I join and there's only 4?
Some people use "fake player lists count" in order to generate traffic to their server it can get annoying.

But what I do is find a server I know is populated(w/legit player) and add it to my favorites then whenever I play TF2 I just join a server directly from my favorites list.

Javaman

Davidion said:
The Pyro is also designed for ambushing and group takedowns, especially if you go the backburner option. Learn the major traffic routes, and take advantage of the blind spots that many assault squads tend to not pay attention to; combined with the fact that many uber pairings will both focus in the same direction and you've a great recipe for a blinding takedown. An ubered heavy with demo and soldier support suddenly isn't so threatening when the medic and the heavy are burnt husks and the other two are on fire. Even if you only take down one member, you've either considerably diminished the enemy squad's capacity and/or bought your team members valuable time to take them down or prepare for their advance.

Also don't forget in close combat that your attacks don't stop, so learn to maneuver yourself as if you would as a scout at close range and your life span will be dramatically increased.

What the fuck happened to your avatar?!

:lol
Figured it was time to change things up a bit.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Javaman said:
:lol
Figured it was time to change things up a bit.
Bad :lol
No one will recognize you.

I played around with the FAN for 5 hours today. I've certainly warmed up to it.
I think it's really a side-grade weapon.

Got the Sandman which is absolutely horrible... It's so bad, honestly. Terrible using it and getting hit by it.

Bonk! is pretty damn useful if your team is half competent. I can see future use of it.

Oreoleo

Hazaro said:

Triple jump is so awesome. For that reason alone I'll never switch out the FAN or use the Sandman.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Orellio said:
Triple jump is so awesome. For that reason alone I'll never switch out the FAN or use the Sandman.
Yeah the 2 shot limit, constant reloading, and jumping straight up in air after you fire are all ok for that :lol

**It would be really awesome if TF2 told you your stats when you died.

e.g. 5 Kills and 1,248 damage, Killed 3 pyros, 1 heavy, 1 medic

Is there a mod for that? I love having those numbers pop up when I out do myself, but that RARELY happens anymore.

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
Yeah the 2 shot limit, constant reloading, and jumping straight up in air after you fire are all ok for that :lol

**It would be really awesome if TF2 told you your stats when you died.

e.g. 5 Kills and 1,248 damage, Killed 3 pyros, 1 heavy, 1 medic

Is there a mod for that? I love having those numbers pop up when I out do myself, but that RARELY happens anymore.

You there. I heard you wanted a medic. I like never play medic unless I'm actually trying to help my team though. Why do you want a medic? I might be AgentElrond on Steam or something, but who knows what crazy hardwired name I actually have. I play as Blizzard.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
You there. I heard you wanted a medic. I like never play medic unless I'm actually trying to help my team though. Why do you want a medic? I might be AgentElrond on Steam or something, but who knows what crazy hardwired name I actually have. I play as Blizzard.
So I can live longer :lol

firex

Hazaro said:
Bad :lol
No one will recognize you.

Got the Sandman which is absolutely horrible... It's so bad, honestly. Terrible using it and getting hit by it.

Bonk! is pretty damn useful if your team is half competent. I can see future use of it.
I still feel like they should buff the energy drink some though. I can see it being useful, but the slowdown after it wears off makes a scout a really easy target unless they find a great hiding place before the drink wears off. and maybe it's just lag on my part but I never notice scouts going faster with the drink, just dodging stuff. Considering that it probably replaces the worst item for the scout, though, it's not that bad. But also, considering all the downsides to it, it probably needs a minor buff of some kind.

undrtakr900

firex said:
I still feel like they should buff the energy drink some though. I can see it being useful, but the slowdown after it wears off makes a scout a really easy target unless they find a great hiding place before the drink wears off. and maybe it's just lag on my part but I never notice scouts going faster with the drink, just dodging stuff. Considering that it probably replaces the worst item for the scout, though, it's not that bad. But also, considering all the downsides to it, it probably needs a minor buff of some kind.
The Bonk drink doesn't increase the Scouts speed it just makes him invincible to all attacks, but he still feels the "knockback" effect of Sentry Guns though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
firex said:
It's an instant sentry distraction plus people tend to shoot at you.
I've gotten down 3 sentries with the help of teammates in a span of 10 seconds on 2 Fort.

I hate the map but was looking for the Moonshot achievement.

I also tried to have the sentries kill their own engies but they were all in a corner and I couldn't get behind them :lol

undrtakr900

Hazaro said:
It's an instant sentry distraction plus people tend to shoot at you.
I've gotten down 3 sentries with the help of teammates in a span of 10 seconds on 2 Fort.
lol, whenever I use Bonk! to distract a Sentry my team never rushes in to take it out leaving me to get ripped apart by the sentry farm along with 5 other players with their crosshairs on me:lol

MNC

undrtakr900 said:
Some people use "fake player lists count" in order to generate traffic to their server it can get annoying.

But what I do is find a server I know is populated(w/legit player) and add it to my favorites then whenever I play TF2 I just join a server directly from my favorites list.
This will slowly become useless with server scoring, if people actually leave soon afterwards.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
undrtakr900 said:
lol, whenever I use Bonk! to distract a Sentry my team never rushes in to take it out leaving me to get ripped apart by the sentry farm along with 5 other players with their crosshairs on me:lol
I played a few rounds on GoldRush map 2? 3?

That map is excellent for having sentries kill their Engies. Got 2 of them down in 1 game :lol

undrtakr900

MNC said:
This will slowly become useless with server scoring, if people actually leave soon afterwards.
I had to read the blog to find out what you were talking about, this is great news how will the players know what rank a server is before joining? Or is it just a Valve inernal rank to weed out the bad servers?
Hazaro said:
I played a few rounds on GoldRush map 2? 3?

That map is excellent for having sentries kill their Engies. Got 2 of them down in 1 game :lol
You have any tips to take out the Engineers? because I love playing Badwater(because its openness) but its sentry farm heaven and *this* always happens when I try to distract multiple sentry's:
28qx7xi.jpg

firex

There's another path you can take to that area from the house, so if you want to make the sentry shoot its own engineer, I'd just sneak around there first and then do your best with the energy drink to put the engineer between the sentry and you.

It's funny because I feel like sentries are really nothing more than an annoying defensive impediment that are relatively easy to take out with a coordinated attack (i.e. more than just a single uber and a pyro/demo/soldier/heavy) and I actually think they need to be reworked, but sometimes they're pretty effective. I think I just hate playing engineer because most of the time you camp your buildings, and you don't get to see a lot of front line action on the faster maps, like 5 point CP maps, unless your team protects you so you build up with them.

firex said:
There's another path you can take to that area from the house, so if you want to make the sentry shoot its own engineer, I'd just sneak around there first and then do your best with the energy drink to put the engineer between the sentry and you.

It's funny because I feel like sentries are really nothing more than an annoying defensive impediment that are relatively easy to take out with a coordinated attack (i.e. more than just a single uber and a pyro/demo/soldier/heavy) and I actually think they need to be reworked, but sometimes they're pretty effective. I think I just hate playing engineer because most of the time you camp your buildings, and you don't get to see a lot of front line action on the faster maps, like 5 point CP maps, unless your team protects you so you build up with them.

Yes the Bonk drink and running behind the engy is the best way to kill him and have your team rush the guns while distracted. Its almost the same effect of a Spy sapping but you also get a dead engineer out of it as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If there are 2 sentries shooting at you you can't really move forward. Heck it's hard enough with 1 shooting at you.

The best you can really do is time Bonk! to the sentry beep (Remember to account for sipping time) and try to hide behind the AC/fan unit on top and get to the ledge sentry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom