• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
Voted sandman. Stunning peeps sounds too fun. Looks like the fon will win, though. Still, it's cool that they're letting us decide this time around.

1-D_FTW

Anyone have any ideas why I can't equip my vamp gun as medic? Last time I played I unlocked it. Thought I equiped it.

Soon as I loaded up today, I'm not even playing medic and it tells me I've just unlocked the vamp gun. WTF. Ignore it.

But then when I switch to medic, I notice it's not equiped. So I go to the load out screen and it's there. But hitting the equip button does squat. It's dead. I checked and I have 11 achievements. Do I need more? Is Valve just teasing me with saying it's unlocked?

Volcynika

1-D_FTW said:
Anyone have any ideas why I can't equip my vamp gun as medic? Last time I played I unlocked it. Thought I equiped it.

Soon as I loaded up today, I'm not even playing medic and it tells me I've just unlocked the vamp gun. WTF. Ignore it.

But then when I switch to medic, I notice it's not equiped. So I go to the load out screen and it's there. But hitting the equip button does squat. It's dead. I checked and I have 11 achievements. Do I need more? Is Valve just teasing me with saying it's unlocked?

Either an error or something, or if you took part in the "using other classes' weapons instead of your own" you are locked from those weapons for a month.

I hope the Spy buff makes him much more stealthy, since losing the face stab is going to make it harder for him to kill.

Other than that, I hope the scout updates make the gameplay more interesting and are fun.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
HOLY SHIT

LINKO: http://www.zshare.net/audio/561382468991c248/
Youtube incoming. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX__swbUwag&fmt=18
Parto 2: And the rest of the audio clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxMGOXY80A&fmt=18

VALVE IS AWESOME

I'm going through the new domination stuff and some of these are priceless.:lol

"No other class gonna do that!"
"You see that?"
"You seein' this?"
"If you order now, I'll throw in a second beating absolutely free!"
"Look at this, just caved in your skull, bat's still dry. No clumps of hair, nothin!"
"Yeah, I dare ya! Ragequit! Make us both happy!"
"The best man won, you bomb throwin' drunk!"
"Depth perception, pal, look into it!"
"Here's somethin' you shoulda built, a not-dyin' mahine!"
"I am OWNING you, you fat, bald bastard!"
"I am OWNING you, you fat, bald, fatty fat... fat-fat!"
"Real nice effort, Deutschbag!"
"Hey who's on fire now!?"
"Repeat after me: HMHMHMI'M DEAD!"
"Snipe that, you frickin' coward!"
"You'll never hit me! You'll never hit my tiny head! It's so tiny, I got such a frickin... tiny little head!"
"There ain't enough crits in the world to kill me!"
"He-hey look! you shape-shifted into a dead guy!"
:lol :lol :lol

krzy123

1-D_FTW said:

I'm having the same problem with the Heavy's Gloves, it shows that its equipped but in game it doesn't show up, no matter how many times I restart steam, change the loadout, etc.

I've gotten proper number of achievements, and haven't used any exploits.

Mkliner

Hazaro said:
HOLY SHIT

LINKO: http://www.zshare.net/audio/561382468991c248/
Youtube incoming. : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX__swbUwag&fmt=18
Parto 2: And the rest of the audio clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxMGOXY80A&fmt=18

VALVE IS AWESOME

I'm going through the new domination stuff and some of these are priceless.:lol

"No other class gonna do that!"
"You see that?"
"You seein' this?"
"If you order now, I'll throw in a second beating absolutely free!"
"Look at this, just caved in your skull, bat's still dry. No clumps of hair, nothin!"
"Yeah, I dare ya! Ragequit! Make us both happy!"
"The best man won, you bomb throwin' drunk!"
"Depth perception, pal, look into it!"
"Here's somethin' you shoulda built, a not-dyin' mahine!"
"I am OWNING you, you fat, bald bastard!"
"I am OWNING you, you fat, bald, fatty fat... fat-fat!"
"Real nice effort, Deutschbag!"
"Hey who's on fire now!?"
"Repeat after me: HMHMHMI'M DEAD!"
"Snipe that, you frickin' coward!"
"You'll never hit me! You'll never hit my tiny head! It's so tiny, I got such a frickin... tiny little head!"
"There ain't enough crits in the world to kill me!"
"He-hey look! you shape-shifted into a dead guy!"
:lol :lol :lol
WANANANANANA

So is there anyway to say them ingame other than the play command? (which doesn't actually play them for anyone except you).

I want to run around as scout making kung fu noises.

Acid08

Banned
1235601070461.jpg

firex

This update makes it plainly obvious that Engineer needs to be next to get achievements/updates. Sentries are even more worthless now.

firex said:
This update makes it plainly obvious that Engineer needs to be next to get achievements/updates. Sentries are even more worthless now.

Are you sure about that? I laughed when Scouts would try to run by a sentry using Bonk, still get the push effect against them, and either be stuck up against a wall or pushed down a chasm, you knew the player was frustrated as hell. :lol

firex

yes. It's not like the energy drink completely nullifies sentries, but they just gave the one class that used to get completely dominated by a sentry an easy counter for it. Sentries now are way less valuable than a level 3 teleporter/dispenser.

Firestorm

Spies can now control which weapon the enemy team sees them holding. Hitting the "last disguise" key while disguised updates the disguise to show the Spy's currently held weapon

Added several new Arena mode announcer speech events.

Added "First Blood" to Arena mode

Removed 2x item respawn times in arena

Changed backstab handling to fix facestabs

Spies disguised as enemy team can now see player IDs for enemies
!!!

Firestorm said:

It shows on the HUD at the bottom-left corner. If you switch immediately to the knife while disguising, you default to the melee weapon for the class, which is already going to throw someone off.

I haven't had much of a chance to try the new backstabbing, but people have said that it's a lot harder to get it to trigger an actual backstab, and the animation is almost instant. It means that there'll be a lot less running a curve around someone and flicking your knife at their back casually, but the backstabs that do trigger have a much higher degree of success.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Kulock said:
It shows on the HUD at the bottom-left corner. If you switch immediately to the knife while disguising, you default to the melee weapon for the class, which is already going to throw someone off.
Threw me off earlier tonight actually. Spy was running around as a Pyro with the Flaregun so I didn't bother, till of course the same bugger backstabs me.

That spy thing is hilarious, whenever you see someone running around with a melee weapon that's your spy. Why would anyone run around with melee weapon at hand?

Sciz

PillowKnight said:
That spy thing is hilarious, whenever you see someone running around with a melee weapon that's your spy. Why would anyone run around with melee weapon at hand?
Engineers and Scouts.

Sciz

PillowKnight said:
Is the sandman an option? You're right though, wonder how many engineer spies I missed. Most of the guys I caught were pyro/demo.
I don't think unlockable weapons are available to spies yet, but scouts ran around with their bats all the time even before the update, and at least for a while it'll be plausible that someone just hasn't unlocked it yet. The lack of speed is still telling, but the Bonk! cooldown legitimizes that little flaw now. And yeah, pyro with fireaxe is the new needlegun medic.

On a different note, I'm not sure what I think about the balance of the weapons yet, but it's extraordinarily satisfying to kill someone just by whacking them with the ball. The loud "clok!" followed by a slumping ragdoll just feels right.

rezuth

Holy shit! I played a game of dustbowl today and we we're losing hard, we had one last chance. After some quick discussion almost everone went for the scout. We used our bats to stun them and FAN to kill them off. We won... In like 1min we turned the whole goddamn game around... It was amazing...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Few people on the servers I play on are already demanding the Sandman to get a nerf. I don't even play as Scout and I think it's a brilliant weapon that the Scout needed badly. Their argument is that it makes Uber's a joke to use now but isn't that the entire point of it all? It's a defensive mechanism for a class that only had one method of defense previously that was a bit selfish; running and double-jumping away.

I got bonked during Payload: Badwater as an uber'd Demo trying to take down the sentries and I wasn't annoyed in the slightest when I got hit.

eznark

Banned
I played an hour last night for the first time in months, forgot how much f'ing fun this game is.

That sandman thing really can change the game if the Scouts are playing properly.

Twig

Banned
None of the weapons are over- or underpowered.

I say this not having unlocked any of the weapons, of course. Barely played scout still!

speedpop said:
Few people on the servers I play on are already demanding the Sandman to get a nerf. I don't even play as Scout and I think it's a brilliant weapon that the Scout needed badly. Their argument is that it makes Uber's a joke to use now but isn't that the entire point of it all? It's a defensive mechanism for a class that only had one method of defense previously that was a bit selfish; running and double-jumping away.

I got bonked during Payload: Badwater as an uber'd Demo trying to take down the sentries and I wasn't annoyed in the slightest when I got hit.
In the handful of rounds I've played since the update, it seems that tough offensive spots like Dustbowl 3B, and Goldrush 3C are now damn near impossible. You just can't get to the sentries anymore. Ubers are meet with a barrage of sandman bonks, and compression blasts.

I also just started playing again for the first time and a while, and now I really don't want to stop playing, despite it being 3am. I generally played the Demo and Medic way back when, but I've started playing the other classes and I'm really liking the Heavy, Spy and Scout and really disliking the Soldier and Engineer.

I haven't had a chance to unlock any Scout weapons yet, and I can't wait to try those out and find some tactics to use there. I saw Scouts perching themselves on the C tower on Gravelpit as defense and stunning anyone who came up then blasting them off with the FAN. That sort of stuff is great in closed spaces etc., which is what the Scout really needed.

Big-E

Anyone else hate the Force of Nature? I was playing with negative kd all night using it. I couldn't seem to kill anything with it. I will be sticking with the scattergun from now on i think.

rezuth

Big-E said:
Anyone else hate the Force of Nature? I was playing with negative kd all night using it. I couldn't seem to kill anything with it. I will be sticking with the scattergun from now on i think.
I love it, I get more kills with it than the scattergun easily.

1-D_FTW

I only played with it a little so far, but I wasn't feeling the FAN either. It's actually less powerful than the default scattergun, right? I thought I saw it was less powerful, but fired faster (offset by the fact you have to reload after two shots.) That whole pre-release poster gave me the wrong impression of it. It's basically a gimped gun that gives you the ability to add an extra jump.

firex

I think the FAN is more for the run and gun/ambush style of play since it does shitloads of damage up close (and it does more damage per shot than the regular scattergun). I like it. Not that I've played with any of the scout unlocks, but I can see what it adds to the playstyle. It's also really deadly paired with the Sandman.

and every time I feel like "god fuck the Sandman" I realize that means Valve did it right, because they lose double jump for it and if I feel like a class's new weapon needs to be nerfed, then it's at least on par with the old weapon it replaces.

firex said:
I think the FAN is more for the run and gun/ambush style of play since it does shitloads of damage up close (and it does more damage per shot than the regular scattergun). I like it. Not that I've played with any of the scout unlocks, but I can see what it adds to the playstyle. It's also really deadly paired with the Sandman.

and every time I feel like "god fuck the Sandman" I realize that means Valve did it right, because they lose double jump for it and if I feel like a class's new weapon needs to be nerfed, then it's at least on par with the old weapon it replaces.
I believe its actually weaker, just has more pellets.

And im not sure I get your sandman logic. Did you feel the old bat needed to be nerfed?

firex

no, my point is anytime I feel like the sandman needs to be nerfed, I'm just reminded that if I didn't feel an upgrade needed to be nerfed, it's because it's not able to kill me. like natascha was/maybe still is.

edit: also the FAN description says it deals 20% more damage. maybe it's just bad wording on the tooltip but it definitely hits harder than the regular scattergun at any good scattergun range.

1-D_FTW said:
I only played with it a little so far, but I wasn't feeling the FAN either. It's actually less powerful than the default scattergun, right? I thought I saw it was less powerful, but fired faster (offset by the fact you have to reload after two shots.) That whole pre-release poster gave me the wrong impression of it. It's basically a gimped gun that gives you the ability to add an extra jump.

It seems to compliment the sandman pretty well. And the knockback effect is a lifesaver, especially when being chased by a pyro.

1-D_FTW

firex said:
edit: also the FAN description says it deals 20% more damage. maybe it's just bad wording on the tooltip but it definitely hits harder than the regular scattergun at any good scattergun range.

It actually says 20 percent more pellets, but 20 percent less damage on the equip screen. So that means what? Would sound like a wash, but I've googled a bit and people are claiming it does around 4 percent less damage than scattergun. Who knows.

Confidence Man said:
It seems to compliment the sandman pretty well. And the knockback effect is a lifesaver, especially when being chased by a pyro.

Okay. I guess I need to play a little more. Was not noticing the knockback and that's what was disappointing to me. But thinking back, most of my shots were shooting people in the back as they were running away. So that probably explains how I missed it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
1-D_FTW said:
It actually says 20 percent more pellets, but 20 percent less damage on the equip screen. So that means what? Would sound like a wash, but I've googled a bit and people are claiming it does around 4 percent less damage than scattergun. Who knows.

Okay. I guess I need to play a little more. Was not noticing the knockback and that's what was disappointing to me. But thinking back, most of my shots were shooting people in the back as they were running away. So that probably explains how I missed it.

You have to be in the air for it to happen.

Is there anyway to tell when someone is using an aimbot when using the sniper? I watch some people and they have the reaction times and aim that makes me think somethings up.

Could it be the lag from the spectator POV? I only have like 10 ping on the servers I play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom