• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeto

ahoyhoy said:
The Sandman needs to fucking die. If they do for whatever reason decide not to destroy it, there is NO FUCKING REASON it should affect Ubered players. The Sandman pretty much makes the Scout the ultimate defense class, and that's not right in the slightest.
Scout was the ultimate defense class before the sandman...the sandman just reaffirms the position.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Cheeto said:
Scout was the ultimate defense class before the sandman...the sandman just reaffirms the position.

I'm fairly certain they were meant to be an offensive class, given their speed and quick capture ability. They're only use on defense is batting Medic's while their Heavy buddy isn't paying attention. Other than that, they really don't stand much of a chance against a decent Solider/Pyro/Heavy/Medic.

The Sandman is game-breaking. Even though the Bonk does remove the Engineers ability to stop a Scout rush, it doesn't mean that the Scout gets the opportunity to kill the Engineer at any time. The Sandman, however, allows the Scout to pretty much dominate any slower class even with a Medic backing them up, and even pick off Engies from a distance.

Cheeto

ahoyhoy said:
I'm fairly certain they were meant to be an offensive class, given their speed and quick capture ability. They're only use on defense is batting Medic's while their Heavy buddy isn't paying attention. Other than that, they really don't stand much of a chance against a decent Solider/Pyro/Heavy/Medic.
pfft...I don't think so. Scout is the ultimate assault class when sentries aren't in the equation...and are also great on defense because you can get behind the enemy without out much worry about sentries. Then you're free to pick off stragglers coming out of spawn or take a out medic or two building uber. A good scout can and most often will win against any other class, with or without the new "zomg most powerful sporting device ever". Soldiers rockets can't hit a scout who knows how to move, pyros are usually to blinded by their own fire to effectively track a scout whose circle strafing them, same with heavies, and medics are just plain squishy.
ahoyhoy said:
The Sandman is game-breaking. Even though the Bonk does remove the Engineers ability to stop a Scout rush, it doesn't mean that the Scout gets the opportunity to kill the Engineer at any time. The Sandman, however, allows the Scout to pretty much dominate any slower class even with a Medic backing them up, and even pick off Engies from a distance.
You play this game? If I moonshot an engy from across the map, one maybe two of my pistol shots will hit him before he's not stunned anymore...wtf are you talking about. Sandman is good for three things; close-mid range bonk/kill combo, hilarity, and weeding out the whiners. Not long range killing.

Cheeto said:
pfft...I don't think so. Scout is the ultimate assault class when sentries aren't in the equation...and are also great on defense because you can get behind the enemy without out much worry about sentries. Then you're free to pick off stragglers coming out of spawn or take a out medic or two building uber. A good scout can and most often will win against any other class, with or without the new "zomg most powerful sporting device ever". Soldiers rockets can't hit a scout who knows how to move, pyros are usually to blinded by their own fire to effectively track a scout whose circle strafing them, same with heavies, and medics are just plain squishy.

You play this game? If I moonshot an engy from across the map, one maybe two of my pistol shots will hit him before he's not stunned anymore...wtf are you talking about. Sandman is good for three things; close-mid range bonk/kill combo, hilarity, and weeding out the whiners. Not long range killing.
The bolded is false! Demos can also kill scouts pretty reliably.

Anyways i've been killed by scouts who managed to sandman me at melee range, it's not "omg it runs out so quick you can't kill anything." It doesn't take more than a fraction of a second(with FAN) to kill someone who's standing still. The guy you quoted wasn't just talking about long range killing.

Cheeto

PillowKnight said:

Anyways i've been killed by scouts who managed to sandman me at melee range, it's not "omg it runs out so quick you can't kill anything." It doesn't take more than a fraction of a second(with FAN) to kill someone who's standing still.
LIES! Most soldiers have a problem with depth when facing scouts...that is a scout that is constantly moving in and out from the soldier will make him miss more often than not. Demomen can spam their winbombs and kill any class, thats not the scout's problem.

The guy I quoted said, "even pick off Engies from a distance."

Cheeto said:
LIES! Most soldiers have a problem with depth when facing scouts...that is a scout that is constantly moving in and out from the soldier will make him miss more often than not. Demomen can spam their winbombs and kill any class, thats not the scout's problem.

The guy I quoted said, "even pick off Engies from a distance."
Yeah, I just noticed you were using that to justify the "weed off winers" part.

As far as soldiers go, I dunno, how do you define a soldier's skill level in comparison to a scout's. Is "moving right" equivalent to "using rocket aoe decently" or just plain accuracy?

Javaman

PillowKnight said:

Anyways i've been killed by scouts who managed to sandman me at melee range, it's not "omg it runs out so quick you can't kill anything." It doesn't take more than a fraction of a second(with FAN) to kill someone who's standing still. The guy you quoted wasn't just talking about long range killing.

Very true, especially when there are other enemies around. Bonked people tend to become the immediate target.

TheOneGuy said:
Flare gun is better for that.

I think you misunderstand, I'm pretty sure some Snipers love it when you make their targets stand nice and still.

TF2 Blog said:
Our first step in improving this part of the player experience has been to delist all the really bad servers.

Based on how long people stay connected. I understand what they're trying to accomplish, but I don't think I like that.

Twig

Banned
Kulock said:
I think you misunderstand, I'm pretty sure some Snipers love it when you make their targets stand nice and still.
Oh.

Well.

I just assumed no one in their right mind would choose anything else over a sniper as a target for immediate death.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Servers I mainly play on have zero Scouts most of the time. 1 or 2 at the very most during peak hour. I don't use Sandman at all as a Scout because I prefer my double jumps and getting behind the opposition to cause a little shit, but I love it for the fact that it can slow down Ubers and make the offense rethink a bit more.

TheOneGuy said:
Oh.

Well.

I just assumed no one in their right mind would choose anything else over a sniper as a target for immediate death.

...Scout stuns someone from a distance, Sniper picks off the unmoving foe, both high-five. This isn't a complex point I've made.

Cheeto

PillowKnight said:
Yeah, I just noticed you were using that to justify the "weed off winers" part.

As far as soldiers go, I dunno, how do you define a soldier's skill level in comparison to a scout's. Is "moving right" equivalent to "using rocket aoe decently" or just plain accuracy?
Well, the best player is going to win. Whether that player is playing the scout or the soldier. I'm just trying to say that neither class is gimped compared to the other.

Twig

Banned
Kulock said:
...Scout stuns someone from a distance, Sniper picks off the unmoving foe, both high-five. This isn't a complex point I've made.

Read what I said again. Because you don't get it apparently.

Cheeto said:
Well, the best player is going to win. Whether that player is playing the scout or the soldier. I'm just trying to say that neither class is gimped compared to the other.
Oh, definitely, unless that scout is using the sandman that is!

ice cream

Banned
March 13, 2009 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Gameplay Changes

Players who are stunned by a Scout now take 50% less damage

Increased the minimum distance to stun a player with the Sandman

Fixes

Fixed problem where clients were unable to join a team or maintain a connection to the server

Fixed Scout taunt kill achievement firing for people who didn't actually qualify

Fixed client crash in when creating muzzle flash effects

Fixed client crash when determining which disguise weapon to use for a spy

Fixed Natascha's chain not being drawn on the view model

Fixed stun code regression that resulted in a subtle reduction of Natascha's slowdown effect

Fixed rocket & grenade jumps not propelling players as far as they're supposed to

Should satisfy most people

Valve will listen to individual complaints, but they will never be able to ignore the mountain of data they sift through. Gotta love them stats.

TheOneGuy said:

Read what I said again. Because you don't get it apparently.

No, you're talking about something completely different, it's not a matter of me not "getting it." For killing or annoying enemy Snipers by yourself the Flare Gun is great, but I was referencing a Scout/Sniper "Let me make this guy hold still for you" arrangement, and mostly for the humor of it.

Players who are stunned by a Scout now take 50% less damage

Increased the minimum distance to stun a player with the Sandman

So now it's an annoyance weapon for Scouts, uber protection, and nothing more. I knew it was coming, but what a sucky thing to do to it.

Fixed Scout taunt kill achievement firing for people who didn't actually qualify

It's already virtually impossible to do (it takes much longer to trigger than a Pyro or Heavy's taunt kills, and it requires the ragdoll sail a long distance, blocking the use of idle players in spawn in Arena), so I'm sure that was a big priority there.

Twig

Banned
Kulock said:
No, you're talking about something completely different, it's not a matter of me not "getting it." For killing or annoying enemy Snipers by yourself the Flare Gun is great, but I was referencing a Scout/Sniper "Let me make this guy hold still for you" arrangement, and mostly for the humor of it.
You seriously don't get it. I completely understand what you are saying but you have absolutely no idea what I am saying. This is the problem with our exchange. Okay I will explain. I made a joke. "I just assumed that whenever anyone talks about sniper it's about killing them." Do you get it now. Do I need to further explain. It is not a big deal, you seem offended or something. Please don't.

TheOneGuy said:
Okay I will explain. I made a joke. "I just assumed that whenever anyone talks about sniper it's about killing them." Do you get it now. Do I need to further explain. It is not a big deal, you seem offended or something. Please don't.

It didn't make a lot of sense in relation to my post, but I understand you now.

undrtakr900

Suburban Cowboy said:
so can someone explain the utility of the new scout gun (FAN)

It feels no stronger (perhaps weaker) in most situations and the 2shot limit is a constant annoyance. Also having it fuck up your double jump is kind of annoying too. I just dont see why I would be using this gun besides hoping to be at point blank range against all my enemies
First the FaN only has 2 shots because it knocks the enemy backwards(like the airblast but not as powerful)

Also it doesn't "fuck up your double jump" it adds another boost so you can essentially triple-jump: (see video)

http://www.wegame.com/watch/TF2_Force_a_Nature_Trick_Jumps/

Also if you shoot just before hitting the ground when falling, it'll knock you up some, so you won't take drop-damage.

notsol337

marked forever
TheOneGuy said:
I don't hate snipers. Just the people who play snipers. ):

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

(This is doubly insulting, as he says this to me all the time! SCHOOLED AND TOOLED, and maybe JA RULED! Ababababa-boosh.)

jasonng

Jumped back into this game after a lengthy hiatus so I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm a bit clueless. Anyways, the new duo I'm noticing now is the uber medic + pyro. My question is, are these pyros using the backburner or the regular flamegun? Because I'm seeing them ripping through defense like nothing else. With good timing, they can easily take down two sentry guns and a dispenser.

speedpop

As a Medic I always prefer to grab a Demoman for choke points where sentries are going to be. A good Demo can take out 3 sentries in a single Uber, regardless of their position differences in a small area - the roof in Backwater Basin at 2nd cap being a good example. Most Demoman tend to just concentrate on one sentry and wallop all 8 stickies into it, even though they can be destroyed within 2-3.

Doesn't mean that Ubered Pyros won't work against sentries.. but against the long range of a sentry firing rockets and pushing you back you'll never reach them with your flamethrower. The Medic+Pyro duo work in a capacity where the element of surprise is best, the only problem being is that most of the time they're just kamikaze missions if the Pyro runs too far out.

undrtakr900

jasonng said:
Jumped back into this game after a lengthy hiatus so I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm a bit clueless.

Anyways, the new duo I'm noticing now is the uber medic + pyro. My question is, are these pyros using the backburner or the regular flamegun? Because I'm seeing them ripping through defense like nothing else. With good timing, they can easily take down two sentry guns and a dispenser.
Check out my "How to Play.." video thread over at the official Steam forums. It has a bunch of tutorial videos and has been updated to include videos that showcase the new unlocks as well.

Well the Backburner is best choice for Uber since you can crit the backs of fleeing enemies.(Note: All Engineer buildings are immune to crits) But the regular Flamethrower is more versatile for regular combat unless you're the type who likes to flank enemies a lot. I usually switch weapons frequently depending on the situation.

ice cream

Banned
The pyro has had the airblast for like atleast 6 months now and people still don't know how to use it, i swear...
Majority of pyros I see use the backburner, and the ones who do use the normal flamethrower don't ever bother to push ubers or incommig missiles and shit away...

speedpop

The funny thing too is that unless it's a Heavy Uber, every other Uber will merely forget about the Pyro and concentrate on sentries and such.

Whilst I love to juggle, nothing more satisfying than airblowing a Medic off-course and seeing him literally shit himself or run away.

ice cream

Banned
But see, if a demo is comming round a wall to take down some sentires.. like say on dustbowl part 3 on 1st CP... the pyro can keep pushing them back.

I'd say the scout whoring has finally evened out. The sandman can be dodged fairly easy and the 50% reduction in damage is nice.

I'm still on the fence about it stopping ubers but I'm sure it's Valves way of trying to balance teams who are pyro heavy with the compression blast.

Either way... not bad additions after getting used to it.

Blizzard

Banned
*checks* I joined a game, ran around, and quit. Unless I'm mistaken, Valve has FINALLY fixed the crash-on-exit for Vista 64/Windows 7. YAY!!!

benjipwns

Banned
Changelist:
Valve said:
Team Fortress 2 Update Released
March 18, 2009, 5:42 pm - Valve - Product Update

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Added Multicore Rendering
This initial release is aimed at testing compatibility, so the option is OFF by default
To turn it on, go to the Options->Video->Advanced dialog, and check the "Multicore Rendering" option

Other Changes
Several performance improvements to decals and client bone/flex setup
A variety of alt-tab and mode switch fixes
Improvements to the way the engine initializes surround sound, fixing some specific hardware cases
Fixed a crash on exit in Vista 64

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
24wufea.gif

About time.

Blizzard

Banned
Since I haven't been banned at NeoGAF yet, I guess I should say the following, since I just noticed when trying to find the thread.

WHY THE HECK DID THIS THREAD GET MOVED TO THE ONLINE FORUM. AUGH. THE KILLZONE 2 THREAD IS STILL IN GAMING DISCUSSION WHY IS THIS HERE.

Or maybe I should have just bumped a different Steam/TF2 thread, if there are still any TF2 threads in gaming. :(

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Doesn't seem like anything has changed at all, in terms of stability. Seems it just enables all the stuff you had to use commands for, at least this shows Valve is working on it.

Unless some of the additional graphical settings I have are messing things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom