• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LAUGHTREY said:
Is there anyway to tell when someone is using an aimbot when using the sniper? I watch some people and they have the reaction times and aim that makes me think somethings up.

Some people do nothing but play Sniper constantly, and they're just disgustingly good at it. It's hard not to call bullshit when they can peg a twitchy jumping Scout through a busy battlefield with perfect accuracy, but most of the time they're not cheating. They just have their mouse sensitivity cranked up, they know the proper height to stay at for most headshots, and they have a sharp ear for Spies coming up on them.

If you're spectating, two tell-tale signs of aimbotting are extremely twitchy, jittery aiming (real Snipers usually don't jerk around like that, they take smooth, swift shots with very tiny adjustments, although I don't know if current aimbots intelligently smooth out the aiming motion now), and following people before they appear into view. (Sniper dot traces someone's path out of the side spawn in 2Fort until the first clear shot on the sniper deck.)

You're only going to notice the people bad at hiding it, though. Practiced aimbotters will probably occasionally throw shots or switch to charged body shots, a constant string of headshots being an obvious thing to question.

1-D_FTW said:
It actually says 20 percent more pellets, but 20 percent less damage on the equip screen. So that means what? Would sound like a wash, but I've googled a bit and people are claiming it does around 4 percent less damage than scattergun. Who knows.

I think it says 20% less damage cone, whatever that means.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Confidence Man said:
I think it says 20% less damage cone, whatever that means.
20% less damage done...

120% the bullets at 80% damage each = 96% damage per shot. The Force-a-Nature does less damage than the Scattergun, which makes it not worth it IMHO. In order to get a quick kill with it you have to land them both point blank without pausing, that's the only situation in which it beats the Scattergun. And that's more than offset by the number of times the knockback sends them out of range or you don't do it perfectly and you have to spend forever reloading. They should get rid of the damage penalty.

Sciz

The FAN would be the better gun if it had any killing power beyond point blank range. For the moment I've switched to Scattergun, Bonk!, and Sandman. And then I switched to Pyro for fun and hilarity. Flare crits are endlessly amusing.

edit: That said, I must admit that the FAN's wider blast is really fun on the rare occasions that you get a crit and take two people out with a single shot.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Kulock said:
Some people do nothing but play Sniper constantly, and they're just disgustingly good at it. It's hard not to call bullshit when they can peg a twitchy jumping Scout through a busy battlefield with perfect accuracy, but most of the time they're not cheating. They just have their mouse sensitivity cranked up, they know the proper height to stay at for most headshots, and they have a sharp ear for Spies coming up on them.

If you're spectating, two tell-tale signs of aimbotting are extremely twitchy, jittery aiming (real Snipers usually don't jerk around like that, they take smooth, swift shots with very tiny adjustments, although I don't know if current aimbots intelligently smooth out the aiming motion now), and following people before they appear into view. (Sniper dot traces someone's path out of the side spawn in 2Fort until the first clear shot on the sniper deck.)

You're only going to notice the people bad at hiding it, though. Practiced aimbotters will probably occasionally throw shots or switch to charged body shots, a constant string of headshots being an obvious thing to question.

I spectated him later on in the game, he switched around from heavy to soldier, I always have the benefit of the doubt since I know I'm terrible so I really can't gauge how good snipers can be, but he had headshots lined up before he peeked out. He would rocket jump and hit perfect shots with the rocket. Spin up his minigun and hit people the second he saw them. I just thought stuff like this got filtered out on VAC servers.

benjipwns

Banned
VAC doesn't work instantly, it's an over time thing. It builds up the data, then you're gone, instead of killing you at first notice.

Sometimes just absurd stuff happens.

firex

damn. I didn't realize Bonk is the third milestone. I thought it'd be first like all the other unlocks have been so far. oh well, I'll try and get it since that's the one item I could see myself using.

speedpop said:
Few people on the servers I play on are already demanding the Sandman to get a nerf. I don't even play as Scout and I think it's a brilliant weapon that the Scout needed badly. Their argument is that it makes Uber's a joke to use now but isn't that the entire point of it all? It's a defensive mechanism for a class that only had one method of defense previously that was a bit selfish; running and double-jumping away.

I got bonked during Payload: Badwater as an uber'd Demo trying to take down the sentries and I wasn't annoyed in the slightest when I got hit.
I totally agree that the Sandman needs a nerf. Even better would be to remove it totally. Its just total bullshit. Stuns which last multiple seconds and can stop ubers? Yeah, that has no place in FPSs. It really removes a lot of the fun in the game. Valve really managed to make the game worse with this patch.

a weapon that takes control away from a player is an awful idea.

The sandman is horrible, the ball also travels so far it's impossible to dodge, u can hit another scout with it easily. You never see the ball coming at you.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LAUGHTREY said:
I spectated him later on in the game, he switched around from heavy to soldier, I always have the benefit of the doubt since I know I'm terrible so I really can't gauge how good snipers can be, but he had headshots lined up before he peeked out. He would rocket jump and hit perfect shots with the rocket. Spin up his minigun and hit people the second he saw them. I just thought stuff like this got filtered out on VAC servers.
I do those things.

I'm nowhere near as good as the top players though.

Sciz

I know the game is starting to get back to normal when I can get stuck on teams with five snipers, or four spies.

Sciz

They were all completely useless. And since they were all on my team, I couldn't even harass them with my flares like I do every other sniper these days.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sciz said:
I know the game is starting to get back to normal when I can get stuck on teams with five snipers, or four spies.
Play on better servers?

Usually a quip about any number of any class will cause them to change.

Sciz

Hazaro said:
Play on better servers?

Usually a quip about any number of any class will cause them to change.
It's usually a good server, but this was an abnormally terrible team. Someone did point it out, but the snipers proceeded to keep sniping for a while in spite of our getting rolled. Some of them finally changed, but we were back up to five a little later.

Can't wait to see what the 24/7 2fort servers look like when the sniper pack launches.

1-D_FTW

Sciz said:
Can't wait to see what the 24/7 2fort servers look like when the sniper pack launches.

:lol They'll all be lined up on the roof and it'll look something like a Revolutionary War battle.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LAUGHTREY said:
He continued to track them after they went behind cover, flawlessly.
Ah well, that's suspicious. :lol

Sniper update is going to be interesting... If they release soldier update at the same time no problems though :)

firex

snipers should get their update last, after spies have had theirs and every single class has had some small changes to make snipers suck. I really do hate it when you have too many on a team since too many snipers is really just a bunch of assholes stealing kills/points and not actually helping you win maps.

1-D_FTW

firex said:
snipers should get their update last, after spies have had theirs and every single class has had some small changes to make snipers suck. I really do hate it when you have too many on a team since too many snipers is really just a bunch of assholes stealing kills/points and not actually helping you win maps.

I think removing 2 points for a headshot kill would go a long way. Maybe if they weren't getting so many points for being little bitches, there wouldn't be so many players using them. Having to actually earn their way to the top of the scoreboard might give incentive to play something else.

I'm convinced there are certain classes that Valve employees really like to use, and these classes get protected status when it comes to these things.

firex

also, I sort of came up with some spy unlocks that I think could be good:
1) training pistol. replaces the revolver, shoots blanks, doesn't break your disguise. only works with a shotgun/scattergun/pistol, doesn't do any damage (obviously). basically good for fooling people in the middle of a crowd but you give up the really great firepower of the revolver.
2) a new cloak that disables disguises, but using it will put out fire immediately.

I don't even think those are really great but they'd at least add something (and obviously the cloak wouldn't work with the revolver). I can't actually think of a sapper change that's really good from the default one.

and really, I don't hate having a sniper or two on the team. It's just the worst class to stack because multiple snipers really don't do anything one or two good ones can't do.

MNC

HarryHengst said:
Not if they all stand against the wall, you cant backstab wallhuggers anymore since the last patch. :(
Yeah! I noticed this too. No more 180 degree radius on the back :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Speaking of snipers, was doing a bit of 2Fort earlier today with a few friends. One of them was showing me how a real sniper should work and his scorecard showed it - none of those stationary sniper-duel fools up on the top building. It reminded me of my own playstyle of sniper in BF1942 where the best method of killing people was to continually move around the battlefield, never thought it could transition well into TF2 but he seemed to prove it.

Is that all you do, say "I LOVE DRAMA OM NOM NOM"? That's like the fourth time in this thread in the past week. :lol

firex said:
also, I sort of came up with some spy unlocks that I think could be good:
1) training pistol. replaces the revolver, shoots blanks, doesn't break your disguise. only works with a shotgun/scattergun/pistol, doesn't do any damage (obviously). basically good for fooling people in the middle of a crowd but you give up the really great firepower of the revolver.

tf_heavy_uncover_spies.png

It's easier to see in the big icon set, but the Spy's gun in this achievement is already different from his normal revolver. It looks like it has a silencer on the end, which meshed up with a rumor at the time about a silenced ppk that crits from the back.

I'm loving the Sandman, and it's clear it's going to be one of the first thing changed (along with a small buff for Bonk, perhaps). It's way, way too easy for even an uncoordinated fool like me to land a solid ding from a distance, run up, and pour Scattergun into their face until they fall over.

MNC

It's highly likely he gets his silencer back, but people should look a bit less into that achievement icon... It's probably stock image from when the weapons were still a bit different.

Twig

Banned
Kulock said:
Is that all you do, say "I LOVE DRAMA OM NOM NOM"? That's like the fourth time in this thread in the past week. :lol
Heh. It's true, one of my favorite things about TF2 updates is all the bitter tears! (Although most of it hasbeen in the other thread -- I believe you have things confused, you silly goose!)

But in this case I just abhor sniper and everything they stand for. ):< I'm the one with bitter tears here. ):< ):<

speedpop

Jumped onto an instant respawn server for the heck of it. Gold Rush over and over, how mind-numbingly brilliant. Was getting hundred-hand slapped by the Engineers and Snipers so I figured I'd give Spy a run and cause a hassle or two..... except Spy as a class wasn't allowed to spawn. I'm guessing a server admin got the shits with constantly being backstabbed and disabled him :lol

firex

nah there's a bug with spies sometimes that can crash the game for most people. It hasn't happened to me, but it happened to like 3/4 of both teams one time when I was playing on a server.

anyway I actually play sniper similar to your friend. i.e. realistically, although very few maps support it (basically gold rush and badwater and that's about it). hate playing sniper on defense, so I just stick with anything else.

Volcynika

TheOneGuy said:
Heh. It's true, one of my favorite things about TF2 updates is all the bitter tears! (Although most of it hasbeen in the other thread -- I believe you have things confused, you silly goose!)

But in this case I just abhor sniper and everything they stand for. ):< I'm the one with bitter tears here. ):< ):<

u mad that I headshot you!

And I earn my goddamn points, 1-D.

irfan said:
What are the easiest achievements?

There's one for double-jumping, if you even play Scout you'll get that one. I'm Bat Man's pretty reasonable to get normally, or you could just stand on the torches in the spawn of Egypt... No Hitter only requires you not fire a gun from picking up the intel to dropping it on the desk, you don't have to be the one that first pulls it from the enemy base, which means you'll get it within a few plays on intel maps.

There's several that will just fill up with time and play like A Year to Remember, Block the Plate, Race for the Pennant, Pop Fly and such. You'll eventually get Gun Down out of necessity, and If You Build It will be when you surprise an Engineer, probably on a payload map.

I ended up farming two achievements, I'm Bat Man on Egypt (big deal), and Out of the Park, because the taunt kill animation necessary takes so long your only hope is an AFK (I tried sneaking up on a sniper, which is hard enough without your double-jump, his teammates slayed my frozen form, and the angle would've been wrong anyway), and so I scoured Arena servers until I found one other people hadn't taken out yet, pulled it off... and he hit the lip of his spawn, not flying far enough, so it didn't count. I'm pretty sure the taunt is a required part of it, unless batting someone dead off the edge of a high tower works. I kept trying afterward, and realized if I didn't farm the damn thing, I was going to be nothing but an annoyance to my teams.

That's all, but if that makes me some hardcore cheater like aimbotting snipers, people need to get their priorities straight. Achievement servers are just to strangers what groups of friends are anyway. Most people just want the fun new toys to mess with.

"I love my ball."

artist

Banned
Kulock said:
There's one for double-jumping, if you even play Scout you'll get that one. I'm Bat Man's pretty reasonable to get normally, or you could just stand on the torches in the spawn of Egypt... No Hitter only requires you not fire a gun from picking up the intel to dropping it on the desk, you don't have to be the one that first pulls it from the enemy base, which means you'll get it within a few plays on intel maps.

There's several that will just fill up with time and play like A Year to Remember, Block the Plate, Race for the Pennant, Pop Fly and such. You'll eventually get Gun Down out of necessity, and If You Build It will be when you surprise an Engineer, probably on a payload map.

I ended up farming two achievements, I'm Bat Man on Egypt (big deal), and Out of the Park, because the taunt kill animation necessary takes so long your only hope is an AFK (I tried sneaking up on a sniper, which is hard enough without your double-jump, his teammates slayed my frozen form, and the angle would've been wrong anyway), and so I scoured Arena servers until I found one other people hadn't taken out yet, pulled it off... and he hit the lip of his spawn, not flying far enough, so it didn't count. I'm pretty sure the taunt is a required part of it, unless batting someone dead off the edge of a high tower works. I kept trying afterward, and realized if I didn't farm the damn thing, I was going to be nothing but an annoyance to my teams.

That's all, but if that makes me some hardcore cheater like aimbotting snipers, people need to get their priorities straight. Achievement servers are just to strangers what groups of friends are anyway. Most people just want the fun new toys to mess with.

"I love my ball."
Thanks! :)

Twig

Banned
speedpop said:
46 points with Sniper within the span of 11 mins on a 32 player 2Fort match. What a joke of a class.
No kidding. People who play sniper are some sad little shits.

ohgodpleasebesarcasmpleasebesarcasm

speedpop

No sarcasm. After the round I said to my friend that if I ever had to pick up a sniper rifle again in TF2 I'd probably kill myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom