• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

undrtakr900

Hazaro said:
If there are 2 sentries shooting at you you can't really move forward. Heck it's hard enough with 1 shooting at you.

The best you can really do is time Bonk! to the sentry beep (Remember to account for sipping time) and try to hide behind the AC/fan unit on top and get to the ledge sentry.
Yeah I always start the sip in cover then run into the Sentry fire to distract.

I found it works best when you're moving the Payload, I run out to distract the Sentry while the rest of my team takes them out.
VictimOfGrief said:
Yes the Bonk drink and running behind the engy is the best way to kill him and have your team rush the guns while distracted. Its almost the same effect of a Spy sapping but you also get a dead engineer out of it as well.
I found out why I wasn't kiling because the dispenser was healing them faster than the Sentry could self-damage the Engie.

But earlier today(PL_Badwater) it was a level 2 Sentry(no dispenser) and I ran behind the Engie and it knocked him back to me so he wasn't able to repair his sentry as my team took it out. Then one FaN shot took the Engie out:D
firex said:
There's another path you can take to that area from the house, so if you want to make the sentry shoot its own engineer, I'd just sneak around there first and then do your best with the energy drink to put the engineer between the sentry and you.

It's funny because I feel like sentries are really nothing more than an annoying defensive impediment that are relatively easy to take out with a coordinated attack (i.e. more than just a single uber and a pyro/demo/soldier/heavy) and I actually think they need to be reworked, but sometimes they're pretty effective. I think I just hate playing engineer because most of the time you camp your buildings, and you don't get to see a lot of front line action on the faster maps, like 5 point CP maps, unless your team protects you so you build up with them.
Yeah but I in my expeience coordination is an extreme rarity =( Even when I say I'm going to distract the sentry I turn around to find no one followed me for the attack.

Yes sentries are a "relatively easy impediment" with coordination by that's foreign language to most people on pub servers. On 32 player servers everyone ignores my calls for more Medics-- even though I'm the Only one --to bypass the Sentry farm, then once we loose call the team "noobs"
f-stupified.gif

I don't like playing Engie(or Medic) but the are my number 1 and 2 most played because the team needs them to win. Ineffective Medics(doesn't cycle heal) or Engineers(no teles) can really drag the team down forcing me to switch..

Oh yeah have you seen Offensive Engineering video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&hl=nl&v=NYsZ3tLpVMs

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
undrtakr900 said:
Oh yeah have you seen Offensive Engineering video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&hl=nl&v=NYsZ3tLpVMs
Brilliant stuff and I play the same way with my Engineer during Payloads. The greatest weapon behind an Engi is their act of surprise, a level 1 sentry can do more support damage than people recognise.

Being an offensive Engi is one of the best things with Payload as well, and I mean not just leaving your level 3 sentry to protect the tail-end of your group, but also actively pushing your sentry forward giving the defenders no room to breathe. The only things you will learn to hate are Soldiers and Heavies - Spies won't go near that crap funnily enough.

I miss you guys. I unplugged my PC to encourage myself to get some work done on my "free time" job doing iPhone development. :(

I'll be back by Summer for sure.

jasonng

What bothers me the most and automatically makes me assume you're a terrible engineer is when you don't right click to turn your buildings, especially the teleporter exit. It's really not hard to do a few extra right clicks before placing down your building. In turn, it'll save your teammates any minor confusion, especially when those few seconds can be effectively use when you're defending a choke point.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Voogru Pyro Dodgeball

"Tomorrow I'm going to put a pyro dodgeball map on our arena server, OneEyed has made a dodgeball map for us all thats a little more interesting than a square field with invisible force field in the middle.

The IP of the arena server is: 208.43.4.59:27015
Event information: Steam Community :: Events :: voogru.com

(Tomorrow, Monday the 23d @ 5PM EST)"

It's pretty fun to mess with for a bit.

firex

I've seen that combat engineer video before, but it's just not that fun for me to play. about all I really like for engineers now is teleports and I guess maxed out dispensers. I just hate the way the sentry works right now. sometimes it's good, most of the time it's just an obvious camping point and all it really does is funnel people away so the rest of the team kills the other team. It's just not that rewarding. going into combat isn't very rewarding either, though, because engineers are such an easy kill and the combat sentry idea isn't much different from a regular old sentry ambush.

Cheeto said:
I can't tell if the new option makes any difference. My FPS is still basically the same 70-90.
I've noticed some improvements when I enabled multi-core rendering. Before the framerate would frequently dip to 40 when there's some commotion (sometimes even to 30 when things get really busy), even though I know my computer can handle the game with every setting maxed out. Now I rarely see any framerate drops when I lock it 60 frames per seconds, unless the situation is especially chaotic. Team Fortress 2 is almost as smooth as Left 4 Dead for me, now.

Hazaro said:
Got the Sandman which is absolutely horrible... It's so bad, honestly. Terrible using it and getting hit by it.

Bonk! is pretty damn useful if your team is half competent. I can see future use of it.
Eh, I'd be more inclined to say that Bonk! is the Scout's absolutely horrible secondary item right now. That soda has so many drawbacks in its current state: takes too long for its effects to actually kick in, the Scout doesn't become any faster after he takes a sip, you still get pushed back by Sentries even though you're supposedly dodging every bullet, it lasts too short, ... At least Scout players carrying The Sandman are somewhat useful with that bat (by stalling ubers somewhat at the very least) and the only time Bonk! will do anyone any real favors, is when you co-ordinate with others (which isn't always that easy depending on the server).

I'm all for the drink and I wouldn't mind using it after it's been significantly re-tooled (even Natasha wasn't this bad in its original form), but right now I'd never trade the pistol for it.

Dark Stalkers said:
As a medic, what can I do to fend off cloaked spies?
Your best bet would be spraying some needles and hope a few of 'em will hit a cloaked spy that's trying to flee. Preferably with The Blutsauger, because you can also easily spycheck with it.

Javaman

speedpop said:
Brilliant stuff and I play the same way with my Engineer during Payloads. The greatest weapon behind an Engi is their act of surprise, a level 1 sentry can do more support damage than people recognise.

Being an offensive Engi is one of the best things with Payload as well, and I mean not just leaving your level 3 sentry to protect the tail-end of your group, but also actively pushing your sentry forward giving the defenders no room to breathe. The only things you will learn to hate are Soldiers and Heavies - Spies won't go near that crap funnily enough.

Most of the stuff in the video was pretty basic, but It did impress on me how useful even a level one could be in certain situations. Perhaps I've been trying too hard to get it up to level three, and not using the advantage of mobility and extra metal for other purposes as much as I should.

PotatoeMasher said:
I miss you guys. I unplugged my PC to encourage myself to get some work done on my "free time" job doing iPhone development. :(

I'll be back by Summer for sure.

Come on you anti-slacker... Come get some of those blue bastards!

Javaman

MicVlaD said:
Your best bet would be spraying some needles and hope a few of 'em will hit a cloaked spy that's trying to flee. Preferably with The Blutsauger, because you can also easily spycheck with it.

Yeah, the medic is better then most at keeping a spy visible and spychecking from a distance. Dark Stalker, be sure to shoot a coulple of Blutsauger needles at anyone (you'll always see the +3 HP if you hit a spy) or try to run through them before healing, especially if they have exactly 1/2 health.

firex said:
I've seen that combat engineer video before, but it's just not that fun for me to play. about all I really like for engineers now is teleports and I guess maxed out dispensers. I just hate the way the sentry works right now. sometimes it's good, most of the time it's just an obvious camping point and all it really does is funnel people away so the rest of the team kills the other team. It's just not that rewarding. going into combat isn't very rewarding either, though, because engineers are such an easy kill and the combat sentry idea isn't much different from a regular old sentry ambush.

I've been getting a bit tired of it as well since all the "good" spots are pretty much all figured out but every once in a while you get a sweet spot like dropping down and building a sentry covering the very last CP on Badwater which makes all the monotony worthwhile.

A couple of general tips I thought I'd throw out there.... Don't waste your metal upgrading until you have enough to finish the job. Nothing sucks worse then trying to fend off a enemy with a level 1, 80% build to level 2 and no metal left to repair your gun. Always keep a reserve of metal. Also never upgrade it while it's attacking an enemy. Not only does it stop attacking, I don't think you can repair it until it's finished transforming. Most of the time it's better to upgrade your entrance while at spawn. You have unlimited Ammo and it's usually a quick trip to the tele entrance. It also leaves valuable ammo packs for the soldiers until you can get a dispenser up.

If your entrance gets sapped or killed and you're on the frontline, it's usually quicker to just rush the enemy rather then run back to the spawn. Push the cart, figure out where the sentries are, start capping a CP that your team is afraid of, or just yell "FREEEEEDOMMM". The point is to die. If you're on offensive the spawn time is usually less then 10 seconds and you can get back quicker and do your team some good by going forward instead of backwards. There's a little bit of risk though since the sneaky spy that sapped your entrance might be headed for your forward stuff. If he's good enough it won't matter though since you won't see him anyways.

Also, if you're offensive and you're waiting for a level one or two tele to charge, by all means, switch up to engineer temporary and upgrade it and switch back to your other class. It won't take long and the rest of the team and especially the engineer will likely appreciate it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MicVlaD said:
Eh, I'd be more inclined to say that Bonk! is the Scout's absolutely horrible secondary item right now. That soda has so many drawbacks in its current state: takes too long for its effects to actually kick in, the Scout doesn't become any faster after he takes a sip, you still get pushed back by Sentries even though you're supposedly dodging every bullet, it lasts too short, ... At least Scout players carrying The Sandman are somewhat useful with that bat (by stalling ubers somewhat at the very least) and the only time Bonk! will do anyone any real favors, is when you co-ordinate with others (which isn't always that easy depending on the server).

I'm all for the drink and I wouldn't mind using it after it's been significantly re-tooled (even Natasha wasn't this bad in its original form), but right now I'd never trade the pistol for it.
It gives me an excuse to play Scout on Badwater, plus lets me play some part in killing sentries and not play demo. I'm addicted to the speed.

*Stop changing your avatar

undrtakr900

speedpop said:

Yeah its nothing better than a hidden sentry especially since a level 1 is so small most don't even notice it till its too late. When attacking on Payload(Badwater) I rarely upgrade fully until we get to the last point. After which I just build a Sentry so the team has a fallback area. While occasionally spamming my weapons down the walkway.
firex said:
I agree Engineer still not that fun to play since your sentry just acts as area denial for your team to fall back to. But my biggest problem is the lack of support from my team:
> My sentry is getting pounded while another Engie is turtling his own lvl 3 sentry
> Engineers refuse to help me upgrade even though their building are maxed
> Teammates who don't know how to spy check(ie Heavy/Pyro standing next to my dispenser)

undrtakr900

MicVlaD said:

Yeah but it has some uses:
1) When pushing the cart on Payload, I use Bonk! just before we enter the Sentry farm so my team can take them out
2) Scouting(no pun intended) ~ I use Bonk! to get the locations of the Sentry farm then relay it to my team
3) Whenever I'm ambushed(ie Uber Pyro) or about to die I use Bonk! to make my escape
4) Blocking Ubers in narrow doorways

But you're right about the actual soda drawbacks, speed~slowdown balance is off. And the knockback makes it useless against the very thing it was suppose to help against(Sentries).

Sciz

A quick level 1 sentry guarding a health kit that's normally safe makes for guaranteed hilarity. Gravel Pit A is wonderful for this.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
i've been looking and can't find a guide to leveling up the scout. What's the best strategy achievement servers? I just want the newer shotgun or whatever I feel like I cant kill anyone as a scout but love the class.

vumpler said:
i've been looking and can't find a guide to leveling up the scout. What's the best strategy achievement servers? I just want the newer shotgun or whatever I feel like I cant kill anyone as a scout but love the class.
The new gun will only make it harder. Just try to focus on aiming, only fire when you're somewhat certain you have a shot. In other words...when you see someone don't just shoot at them hoping to hit, make a conscious effort to take your time to make sure you will hit them. If it helps, try stopping before you shoot.

firex

Yeah, the key to using TF2's shotguns effectively is making sure the target is right in the middle when you fire. If you can catch them slowed down it's even better.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
vumpler said:
I feel like I cant kill anyone as a scout but love the class.
Shoot when you are very close to them. Double jump everywhere.

Shoot when your crosshair is over them from movement instead of aiming and shooting.

undrtakr900

vumpler said:
Search for a map that starts with "Achievement" or "Scout", those are custom created levels that supply everything you need in the environment to get mostly all the achievements. Finding one with (immobile) bots makes it easier to get some achievements. My advice is get a few friends together and farm the achievements.

The Force-a-Nature(shotgun) is a good hit-n-run weapon since it knocks the enemy backwards(like the airblast). 2 direct shots can kill most of the weaker classes and for stronger classes-- like Heavy --I blast them twice then GTFO before they have time to react. Repeat ad nauseum:D

undrtakr900 said:
Yeah but it has some uses:
1) When pushing the cart on Payload, I use Bonk! just before we enter the Sentry farm so my team can take them out
2) Scouting(no pun intended) ~ I use Bonk! to get the locations of the Sentry farm then relay it to my team
3) Whenever I'm ambushed(ie Uber Pyro) or about to die I use Bonk! to make my escape
4) Blocking Ubers in narrow doorways

But you're right about the actual soda drawbacks, speed~slowdown balance is off. And the knockback makes it useless against the very thing it was suppose to help against(Sentries).
You remind me of another drawback: it's understandable that you can't cap points with Bonk! activated (very abusable if that were the case), but it's rather questionable that you can't block points with it. I remember being the sole survivor once on a capture point map, noticed a few guys were capping our last point, so I took a sip and rushed over there to stall some time hoping that reinforcements would spawn within those 10 seconds. As you might already know, that didn't work and the opposing team still won despite that so-called effort.

One thing I wasn't aware of however (before reading your post) is that you can actually block doorways like that. I mean, I do it all the time with the Heavy, but I never thought of doing the same thing with a Bonk! fueled Scout.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MicVlaD said:
One thing I wasn't aware of however (before reading your post) is that you can actually block doorways like that. I mean, I do it all the time with the Heavy, but I never thought of doing the same thing with a Bonk! fueled Scout.
Whenever an uber pops I run in front of it to try and absorb as much damage as I can.
I don't use Sandman.

undrtakr900

Hazaro said:
Whenever an uber pops I run in front of it to try and absorb as much damage as I can.
I don't use Sandman.
Its great against Kritkrieg too, its hard for the Kritz-ee to focus on the rest of your team when there's a Scout randomly running in your face:D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Played some Scout on GravelPit today.

Went 8:1 on BLU, then was at 23:2 on RED before I went on suicide runs since they made a sentry on C :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Greatest ad ever :lol

Valve said:
If you haven't seen them yet, you can catch week 1, and week 2. We're hoping for a third one soon, but we can't really complain. If we were doing them ourselves, you'd probably see the third one sometime next year.
:lol :lol :lol

Interesting to see them post the Mad Dogz video though.

VaLiancY

Valve said:
It's been a couple of weeks since we posted, so we thought it'd be good to do some housekeeping. The next class pack will focus on the Sniper. It's actually shaping up to be the largest TF2 update yet, with multiple new maps and a bunch of gameplay tweaks. In addition, we've got another update in the works that should be done before the Sniper, and that one will include some new content for all classes.

Fuck, I love Valve.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh wait the sniper update was legit?

Awesome to see them post clips from Mad Dogs, Aussies #1 TF2 team. Those guys are just bloody amazing.

I really need to get back into watching the aussie TF2 scene. The shoutcasting was always enjoyable.

Sniper eh? Would've preferred it if the Engineer and the Spy were updated first. The Sniper and the Demoman need the update the least out of the classes that still remain.

Curious what the new additions for all classes will be.

Iadien

For the Sniper update, Valve should fix hitboxes. I can snipe in most games pretty well, but in TF2 it feels completely different.

firex

oh well, I'm hoping they do one of the following for a new sniper rifle:
1) a sniper rifle with a crosshair, but no charge time, so you can only instagib people with headshots, and even then, can't instagib everyone with a headshot. may be too noob friendly, though. has a targeting laser, but it stays as the smallest dot compared to the regular rifle.
2) a poison dart rifle kind of like in MGS3. still snipes, still does damage, but poisons them so they take damage over time similar to getting burned by a pyro. or it could be a tranq rifle, but the tranquilizer shouldn't work immediately, and the counter for that would be getting healed by a medic.

Iadien said:
For the Sniper update, Valve should fix hitboxes. I can snipe in most games pretty well, but in TF2 it feels completely different.
Just because you can't snipe in TF2 doesn't mean the hit boxes are broken.

ATM dot over head = head shot, how should it work?

MNC

Valve should fix all these teeeeeeny tiny errors that make the game look unprofessional in some aspects. For instance, translation, and text not fitting in boxes, etc. It makes it look so unfinished :(

firex said:
oh well, I'm hoping they do one of the following for a new sniper rifle:
1) a sniper rifle with a crosshair, but no charge time, so you can only instagib people with headshots, and even then, can't instagib everyone with a headshot. may be too noob friendly, though. has a targeting laser, but it stays as the smallest dot compared to the regular rifle.
2) a poison dart rifle kind of like in MGS3. still snipes, still does damage, but poisons them so they take damage over time similar to getting burned by a pyro. or it could be a tranq rifle, but the tranquilizer shouldn't work immediately, and the counter for that would be getting healed by a medic.

Adding to that....

I'm hoping the replacement for the machine gun is a spy detector unit that beeps at you when spies are near by. I think this would add challenge to the spies not just camping behind a sniper while scoped. The balance of that though is if friendly spies are near by, I think it should beep as well to give you false positives, but something is better than nothing.

I like the poison dart idea--- and I think possibly what would make that better would be a DOT (like the pyro) but also slows them down as well (ala the Natasha gun) to make them an easier target. Obviously the trade off is you might not get the headshot kill but you would make a medic wish he hadn't taken the risk of running in the open.

Other ideas are possibly a drink/food item to replace the machete that gives him a faster charge time on his rifle (can we say vegemite?)--- An upgraded scope for a larger viewing area... or who knows. I can't wait to see what the updates are though. :D

Iadien

PillowKnight said:
Just because you can't snipe in TF2 doesn't mean the hit boxes are broken.

ATM dot over head = head shot, how should it work?

I'm referring to moving targets.

Iadien said:
I'm referring to moving targets.
So was I, I really don't notice any difference, dot over head = head shot. Try it yourself: wait until someone walks in a predictable pattern, set your dot in place and wait until they move over it.

Iadien

PillowKnight said:
So was I, I really don't notice any difference, dot over head = head shot. Try it yourself: wait until someone walks in a predictable pattern, set your dot in place and wait until they move over it.

I have over 100 hours played as a sniper, I notice a difference when I switch between shooters. It's kind of like missed backstabs, annoying as hell. Maybe it's just me? =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom