• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
There is one Heavy on my regular servers that is absolute balls and I always tagged behind him as a Medic, so much so that becoming a decent Heavy was due to me watching his own tactics and such. Call it coincidence but whenever I go Heavy on Payload maps I am always on the top score sheets - the only problem to that is getting burnt out from Snipers and Spies who see me as easy targets :lol

Ultimately the key to it all is to not lose your cool and to just enjoy the game as it is.

Orbitcube said:
Your account name - the one you use to log on.

It doesn't seem like much of TF2-playing GAF play together, but it seems the LotusClan.com servers are very popular among GAF. I can't really play with most people here due to living in Australia, but these forums nowadays seem to just be about discussing your experiences in the games, rather than finding games.
guess i missed the boat on this.
so i take it there aren't any gaf specific servers?

btw my steamID: viackado
add me people!:D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
viakado said:
guess i missed the boat on this.
so i take it there aren't any gaf specific servers?

btw my steamID: viackado
add me people!:D
There's a steam group you can join, just follow the people in there.

undrtakr900

speedpop said:
There is one Heavy on my regular servers that is absolute balls and I always tagged behind him as a Medic, so much so that becoming a decent Heavy was due to me watching his own tactics and such. Call it coincidence but whenever I go Heavy on Payload maps I am always on the top score sheets - the only problem to that is getting burnt out from Snipers and Spies who see me as easy targets :lol

Ultimately the key to it all is to not lose your cool and to just enjoy the game as it is.
I love using Heavy while pushing the Payload:D
I wish they would fix Natasha though its still broken after all this time :( The slow-down effects needs some tweaking enemies are able to escape too easily.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Orbitcube said:
but it seems the LotusClan.com servers are very popular among GAF.

Wow really? I've been playing almost exclusively on the 2 Lotus stock map severs and I had no idea. :lol

Definitely good servers, though. Usually full, great connection, good map rotation.

ZealousD said:
Wow really? I've been playing almost exclusively on the 2 Lotus stock map severs and I had no idea. :lol

Definitely good servers, though. Usually full, great connection, good map rotation.
Well that's just from what I've noticed from the scoreboard screenshots. Most of them seem to be on the LotusClan servers.

So, i just got the game yesterday and i'm a total noob! Is there any kind of "noobs server" or something like that? ; D I'd also like to play with some fellow noob gaffer, so if you want add : pinkdejavu to your steam friends

Cheeto

hidepsyence said:
So, i just got the game yesterday and i'm a total noob! Is there any kind of "noobs server" or something like that? ; D I'd also like to play with some fellow noob gaffer, so if you want add : pinkdejavu to your steam friends
There are a couple noob servers that show up on the list, but they are usually populated and owned by clan people. So the name doesn't fit the bill. You're better off just sticking with it and playing up to the competition. You'll get better as you play.

firex

if you can find a server with alltalk enabled (I can't remember if that's a custom server tag or not) those tend to be friendlier and less hardcore than the servers where it isn't.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
hidepsyence said:
Go Medic and heal a Soldier/Heavy/Demo to learn the maps. And any server/game called Noobs Only in any game is just an excuse for decent players to destroy anyone who joins them.

undrtakr900

hidepsyence said:
Check out my "How to Play..." Video Thread over at the official Steam Forums, they helped me a lot when I first got the game, try to focus on one class then branch to others. When learning a class spectate other players using said class to see how they play to learn new tactics.
Ikuu said:
Go Medic and heal a Soldier/Heavy/Demo to learn the maps. And any server/game called Noobs Only in any game is just an excuse for decent players to destroy anyone who joins them.
I'd suggest you start a level by yourself so you can learn the health/ammo spawns, objective locations and level layout. Its also a great way to try out the different characters at your leisure.

Hey, I was hoping someone here could help me.

I finally convinced my friend to buy TF2 so I could play online with him. Here are his PC specs:

8800 GTX OC768 DDR3
P5AD2 Delux Asus MB
Intel P4 3.2 overclocked to 3.687
3 Gigs of Corsair memory DDR3 266
Vista Home Premium 32bit

He can play Crysis on high settings buy L4D and TF2 comes with horrible framerates. Claims it is unplayable 5-10 fps at times. He's tried it on both the Vista partition of his PC and the XP so no avail. Drivers are all updated.

I don't know much about PCs and stuff, but if anyone knows anything I can tell him to try to tweak his preformance it was be greatly apprecieted. I know I ran TF2 fine on lower specs, so I don't know what his issue is.

Thanks!

Thats the first thing I told him to do (when I first got L4D i had the sound stutter glitch with multicore processing). Unless there is a Console Command to disable multicore? I think he may have just turned it off in the options menu.

fallout

Might sound simple, but has he updated drivers? Steam will usually take not of your current ones and bug you if they're not updated.

Volcynika

Update!

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Game Changes

Reworked the character loadout screens to support future features

Added the ability for players to permanently delete items from their inventory using the new Backpack menu. This does not reset achievements. Once an item has been deleted it can never be re-earned

Added the ability for players to reset their player stats using the Reset Stats button on the Stats menu. This does not reset achievements

Added a "player_teleported" game event that is sent when a player is teleported

Updated cp_junction_final to score per-capture instead of per-round. This fixes the map not working correctly with Tournament mode and the stopwatch

Scouts now drop the flag if they're carrying it when they start phasing

Fixes

Fixed instances where Steam connection problems would cause some unlocked items to be unusable

Fixed the custom crosshair menu not clearing itself when "None" is selected for non-English clients

Fixed warning about not being able to execute skill1.cfg when starting the dedicated server

Bolded might mean the update they said was coming prior to the sniper update?

Jcdragon

I booted it up to check out the update.

So The Backpack has 50 spaces. Which leads me to assume that there will be additional weapons/items for each of the classes.

Also, the classes now have an extra equipment slot entitled head. (Which I don't think was there before. I could be wrong since I usually just use the default loadout)

Alos, why would anyone permanently delete an item?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I can't believe they are going with the droppable equipment aspect, that's just insane :lol

There's voice files for the characters in reference to them, e.g. "HEY!, A NEW WEAPON!" etc.

Maybe classes with a helmet can piss off snipers? :lol

I have no idea, but it should be some crazy stuff happening.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's like an RPG now except without the stats to your character!

Ok so apparently there may be items with modifiers attached to them that you can randomly pick up, i.e. certain ammo caches might be bigger, or you may pick up a random weapon that has more +dmg on it or something. Hence the bag space and option to delete these items.

From what I understand everything will be randomly generated so one night as a Soldier you randomly pick up a rocket launcher that has more crit chance or +dmg and you decide to keep it, next few nights you pick up something that is slightly better so you get rid of the old weapon in favour of the new one. Whether these items will be suited to that class you are playing at the time or you can pick up multiple class weapons using one class is up to Valve I'm guessing.

I'm not 100% sure if this is correct but it seems to be where Valve is wanting to push the game to since the first Medic unlocks began happening. This way it battles back the "lol achievements for unlock weapons? lame" crowd because any class and player can pick up unlockables that enhance your current weapon, but also breathes a bit more life into the game. The character updates will continually pump out because they unlock entirely new weapons themselves that are substituted by the default weapons already.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
:lol

It'll just be some goofy hats and some slight modifications as an incentive to keep playing.

Like -10% ammo, + 10% fire rate, -5% damage or stuff like that.
Or different colors?

Either way nothing game breaking. Even if it was they'd patch it in a day or two.

Hazaro said:

It'll just be some goofy hats and some slight modifications as an incentive to keep playing.

Like -10% ammo, + 10% fire rate, -5% damage or stuff like that.
Or different colors?

Either way nothing game breaking. Even if it was they'd patch it in a day or two.
So they are adding jewel crafting to tf2? sweet...

fallout said:
Might sound simple, but has he updated drivers? Steam will usually take not of your current ones and bug you if they're not updated.

His videocard drivers are up-to-date, but I just told him to check his MB drivers, which he did tonight. Haven't heard any update from him yet.

Thanks for the help =)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

LFG - Rank 4,313 Scout - Badwater
amvcpj.jpg

m8kx85.jpg

Slavik81

Added the ability for players to permanently delete items from their inventory using the new Backpack menu. This does not reset achievements. Once an item has been deleted it can never be re-earned
What the fuck?

undrtakr900

I sincerely hope Valve knows what they are doing with all this....

I still don't understand why they would add the "permanently delete weapon" option if the feature its suppose to be used for isn't even implemented yet. Also doesn't Valve realize how few people actually read the updates that will wind up deleting a weapon for fun thinking they can re-unlock it.

I uninstalled TF2 a few days ago(taking a break) but now it looks like I have to re-install it again to see what the updates did.
============

Oh yeah I' glad you can reset your stats but I'm on the fence because you loose your playing time as well =/

VaLiancY

undrtakr900 said:
Oh yeah I' glad you can reset your stats but I'm on the fence because you loose your playing time as well =/

I just want to reset my Medic stats. I farmed my weapons so I had these crazy ass scores and best healing records.:lol

ice cream

Banned
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844720
interesting..
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Scout" "Batter's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Sniper" "Tooth Belt"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Soldier" "Soldier's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Demoman" "Fro"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Medic" "Medic's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Pyro" "Pyro's Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Heavy" "Football Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Engineer" "Mining Helmet"
"TF_Unique_Headgear_Spy" "Spy's Helmet"

firex

the one thing I noticed when I just played for awhile is the items now have their positive changes in blue and negative changes in red, like for natascha the speed is colored blue, but the damage reduction is red.

Oreoleo

Javaman said:
Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.

I knew there was a reason I liked you :)

MNC said:
What the fuck? perm-deleting?

My best guess is they're going to stop tying unlocks to achievements and introduce a new way to unlock/buy weapons. But who knows what they're planning over there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
firex said:
the one thing I noticed when I just played for awhile is the items now have their positive changes in blue and negative changes in red, like for natascha the speed is colored blue, but the damage reduction is red.
That along with the code pretty much confirms that there will be random weapon drops with variable stats on them.

I'm not going to be bothered since it'll only be a little bit of difference.

Deleting weapons so you don't have a giant cache and forcing you to make play-style decisions.

firex

I'm just kind of hoping I can get a flamethrower/minigun/rocket launcher with a bigger clip size, but I'm guessing every bonus has an accompanying penalty so you can't just get a flat out better gun.

undrtakr900

firex said:
I'm just kind of hoping I can get a flamethrower/minigun/rocket launcher with a bigger clip size, but I'm guessing every bonus has an accompanying penalty so you can't just get a flat out better gun.
Natasha:
-75% Slowdown on Hit
-75% Damage

It won't be very practical but will annoy the hell out everyone:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom