• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Added the ability for players to permanently delete items from their inventory using the new Backpack menu. This does not reset achievements. Once an item has been deleted it can never be re-earned

This doesn't make any sense at all, unless they're going to phase out achievement-unlocked weapons and reintroduce them as drops. This is just going to be a huge headache for them until then, why did they allow it in the first place?

God, I'm going to have to play on the 360 a little once that patch finally drops, just to see how hopelessly lost some people become. For them it'll be like spontaneously getting a sequel. Scouts stunning ubers, Level 3 teleporters, sandviches, significant map changes, stat-changing weapon drops, and a lone Demo huddled in the corner, crying and unsure what happened to his invincible stickies. :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think achievement-unlocked character updates will still happen just so the other classes get to fiddle with their own toys.

May be wrong but the entire reason the bag is there is because, for example, as a Pyro you might run around and pick up a simple randomised weapon stat for different Flamethrowers - it could increase the range of your flames to an extra 5 yards, or another one could increase the critical percentage. I don't think it's going to be as vastly different as say the Flamethrower vs the Backburner, but there will be slight modifications so you collect them up and if you're running out of bag space you throw out the ones you don't use and they are deleted permanently from your bag.

Whether these modifiers merely affect the default weapons, or they add them for unlocked weapons as well, who knows. At least with Valve if they fuck it up they'll try to fix it.

firex

speedpop said:
I think achievement-unlocked character updates will still happen just so the other classes get to fiddle with their own toys.

May be wrong but the entire reason the bag is there is because, for example, as a Pyro you might run around and pick up a simple randomised weapon stat for different Flamethrowers - it could increase the range of your flames to an extra 5 yards, or another one could increase the critical percentage. I don't think it's going to be as vastly different as say the Flamethrower vs the Backburner, but there will be slight modifications so you collect them up and if you're running out of bag space you throw out the ones you don't use and they are deleted permanently from your bag.

Whether these modifiers merely affect the default weapons, or they add them for unlocked weapons as well, who knows. At least with Valve if they fuck it up they'll try to fix it.
This is the list, basically:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844720 said:
// Attribute descriptions
"Attrib_ClipSize_Positive" "+%s1% Clip size"
"Attrib_ClipSize_Negative" "%s1% Clip size"
"Attrib_UberchargeRate_Positive" "+%s1% ÜberCharge rate"
"Attrib_UberchargeRate_Negative" "%s1% ÜberCharge rate"
"Attrib_DamageDone_Positive" "+%s1% Damage done"
"Attrib_DamageDone_Negative" "%s1% Damage done"
"Attrib_HealRate_Positive" "+%s1% Heal rate"
"Attrib_HealRate_Negative" "%s1% Heal rate"
"Attrib_FireRate_Positive" "+%s1% Faster firing speed"
"Attrib_FireRate_Negative" "%s1% Slower firing speed"
"Attrib_OverhealAmount_Positive" "+%s1% Overheal bonus"
"Attrib_OverhealDecay_Disabled" "Overheal bonus doesn't decay"
"Attrib_OverhealDecay_Positive" "Overheal bonus decays %s1% slower"
"Attrib_OverhealDecay_Negative" "Overheal bonus decays %s1% faster"
"Attrib_HealOnHit_Positive" "+%s1 Health on hit"
"Attrib_HealOnHit_Negative" "%s1 Health on hit"
"Attrib_CritChance_Positive" "+%s1 Critical hit chance"
"Attrib_CritChance_Negative" "%s1 Critical hit chance"
"Attrib_CritChance_Disabled" "No critical hits"
"Attrib_AddUber_OnHit_Positive" "Add %s1% ÜberCharge on hit"
"Attrib_Medigun_CritBoost" "ÜberCharge grants 100% critical chance"
"Attrib_DamageDoneBonus_Positive" "+%s1% Damage bonus on hit"
"Attrib_CritVsBurning" "100% Critical hit vs burning players"
"Attrib_DmgPenaltyVsNonBurning" "%s1% damage vs non-burning players"
"Attrib_NoCritVsNonBurning" "No critical hits vs non-burning players"
"Attrib_ModFlamethrowerPush" "No compression blast"
"Attrib_ModFlamethrower_BackCrits" "100% Critical hits from behind"
"Attrib_MaxHealth_Positive" "+%s1 Max health"
"Attrib_FistsHaveRadialBuff" "On Kill: +50 Health on nearby teammates\nOn Kill: +10% Crit Chance on nearby teammates"
"Attrib_CritBoost_OnKill" "On Kill: %s1 seconds of 100% critical chance"
"Attrib_Slow_Enemy_OnHit" "%s1% chance to slow target on hit"
"Attrib_Spread_Negative" "%s1% shot spread penalty"
"Attrib_BatLaunchesBalls" "This bat knocks out a mean stun ball"
"Attrib_DmgPenaltyVsNonStunned" "%s1% damage vs non-stunned players"
"Attrib_Scattergun_HasKnockback" "Knockback on the target and shooter"
"Attrib_BulletsPerShot_Bonus" "+%s1% bullets per shot"
"Attrib_NoDoubleJump" "Disables double jump"

Javaman

I'd like to see an engineer buff that lets you carry enough metal for a level 1 sentry and a dispenser, (240ish?) maybe at the cost of building slightly slower.

Javaman said:
I'd like to see an engineer buff that lets you carry enough metal for a level 1 sentry and a dispenser, (240ish?) maybe at the cost of building slightly slower.

How about only being able to carry enough for a level one (maybe 150 for some small repairs) but half the build time? Would make it much easier to assault with level ones--great for attacking teams.

Probably would work better as a wrench replacement. Whatever the tool, I'd like to hear Nascar pit style hydraulic noises during building.

firex

I hope the new randomized weapons have retarded names so I can get a Flamethrower of the Bear or something.

bad WoW joke, sorry

firex said:
I hope the new randomized weapons have retarded names so I can get a Flamethrower of the Bear or something.

bad WoW joke, sorry
That's exactly how I'm thinking this is going to turn out. It could work, as long as they're not all greens, some rare blues or purples would be nice.

+str and +sta would work for a Pyro actually, I don't really see them as an agility using class.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Had some awesome games today, eXo is really fun to play on.
I keep telling myself I'll record demos but I don't :lol
Hitting everything on Mach 4 was great, even though I dislike the map, went afk for 8 minutes too. At one point each team had 4 snipers :lol

First got some Scout on, then Sniper, then got back into feeling that Soldier is an awesome class. Rockets + shotgun is so smooth. :D Didn't do as well, but felt nice playing something else.

20ijj3b.jpg

13yjsle.jpg

24v5o9e.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ice cream said:
What? You have a reticle for sniper even when not zoomed in? Isn't that cheating, or is there something I don't know?
Crosshairs are supported now, just go into options. Makes it easier for me to aim with each weapon, especially helps with Sniper and Soldier.

ice cream

Banned
Hazaro said:
Crosshairs are supported now, just go into options. Makes it easier for me to aim with each weapon, especially helps with Sniper and Soldier.
Ah ok cool. tried them out but I dunno just feels a bit weird. Kinda feels like I'm going against how the game wants it to be :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ice cream said:
Ah ok cool. tried them out but I dunno just feels a bit weird. Kinda feels like I'm going against how the game wants it to be :lol
If you aren't sure of the trajectory or spread of the guns I'd use the normal ones.

But I know all of them by now :lol
speedpop said:
Crosshairs now? Oh delish~
Month or two ago they were patched in for official support.

rass

Anyone have any tips for a pc noob? I only got my pc yesterday and its been about 6 years since i played a kb/m fps. I enjoy playing as the scout so far, but have only played a couple of hours total. Any tips for dying less? Easier classes to play? Noob friendly game modes?

Also, I took some screenshots in the game with F5, and I found the shots but I can't open them with anything, they are in .TGA format, what program do people use to look at them?

speedpop

Hazaro said:
Month or two ago they were patched in for official support.
Yeah took me awhile to find them in the Options.. gave it a go for awhile but I'm so used to the default crosshairs on certain classes that I just turned them off.

iam.rass said:
Anyone have any tips for a pc noob? I only got my pc yesterday and its been about 6 years since i played a kb/m fps. I enjoy playing as the scout so far, but have only played a couple of hours total. Any tips for dying less? Easier classes to play? Noob friendly game modes?

Also, I took some screenshots in the game with F5, and I found the shots but I can't open them with anything, they are in .TGA format, what program do people use to look at them?
Go Medic or Pyro and just hang with the crowd or nearby someone. The more you play, the less you die, the better you become at certain classes and favour them over the others. Eventually you'll learn what your roles are and whether you choose to be more defensive or offensive.

As for screenshots, I use ACDSee to view mine.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
iam.rass said:
Interesting pick up, Scout is a hard class to play well as it takes a lot of skill.

Hit and run is the tactic for you.

Shots under about 6 feet do about 70-110. At about 15 feet they do something like 20-40.
So make sure you get close. Mid range pistol shots do around 12 so never hesitate to switch.

Also almost always change direction when you double jump. You can also stand on people's heads. This is awesome when you land on a heavy and bat him to death. Also fun with snipers.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Anyone who just purchased Orange Box with the weekend deal or general noobs that want to play with someone their own skill level:

Lets gets together for some games, I'm rather shit at TF2, and I'd like to play with people at my own level. Feel free to add me to your friend's list. I'd be more than happy to join you or see if we can get a bunch of us together for some matches.

I want to get better at this game, but it's not fun going in alone. It's quite daunting too with so many already skilled players out there!

iwasdani : add me!

Ramenman

I jumped on the Steam bandwagon with the awesome deal too. I'm more of a PC noob than a TF2 noob since I already had it on 360 (which means I'm noob at half the modes, actually :p )

My steam account is : Contrebasse_

I never play games with dedicated server so I just take the first one that has the mode/map I want and enough players on the "Internet" tab, I'm not sure how I can do a custom search.

Also I hear Steam keeps track of the playtime on my Steam games ? How do I see that ?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Steam tracks last two weeks, well on your Community page, and keeps a total for each class. I'd recommend using something like Raptr (http://raptr.com/) to track time spend on each game, it can also track time played on 360.

I'd recommend new players to stay away from Scout and Spy to be honest, Spy you'll just get beat to badly it won't be close to fun and Scout is one of the harder classes to play. I'd say try Heavy mainly because he has the best character, or go Medic as the majority of servers really need more decent Medics.

I posted in some other thread but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8-00nwyK9Q&feature=related is a good set of tutorials for playing Pyro, a little more advanced stuff, but some great info in there.

fallout

Ramenman said:
I never play games with dedicated server so I just take the first one that has the mode/map I want and enough players on the "Internet" tab, I'm not sure how I can do a custom search.
You can set various filters (like show/hide empty, show/hide full, etc) and sort by mode/map/ping by selecting that category within the search. You can also add favourites if you like.

Also I hear Steam keeps track of the playtime on my Steam games ? How do I see that ?
Not all playtime. TF2 keeps track of quite a few things and your Steam page can be made accessible at: http://steamcommunity.com

undrtakr900

iam.rass said:
1)Anyone have any tips for a pc noob? I only got my pc yesterday and its been about 6 years since i played a kb/m fps. I enjoy playing as the scout so far, but have only played a couple of hours total. Any tips for dying less? Easier classes to play? Noob friendly game modes?

2)Also, I took some screenshots in the game with F5, and I found the shots but I can't open them with anything, they are in .TGA format, what program do people use to look at them?
1)What I said previously:
"Check out my "How to Play..." Video Thread over at the official Steam Forums, those videos helped me a lot when I first got the game, try to focus on one class then branch to others. When learning a class spectate other players using said class to see how they play to learn new tactics.
I'd suggest you start a level by yourself so you can learn the health/ammo spawns, objective locations and level layout. Its also a great way to try out the different characters/weapons at your leisure."

2) I don't know why Valve has screenshots saved as TGA files but you can set all future screens to save as a .JPEG:
  • Open NotePad and add Bind "F5" JPEG
  • Save the file name as autoexec.cfg
  • Put the autoexec.cfg here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<Your Name>\team fortress 2\tf\cfg
Now all future screenshots you take will be saved as Jpeg =)

Ramenman

I'm digging Arena mode, it's short and quick and I like that. It's a clever take on what would otherwise be a simple deathmatch.

And Watchtower is awesome.

Though i'd recommend to stay the fuck away from Arena mode if you haven't played TF2 before, as it's really combat oriented.

Red Scarlet

I haven't tried it out yet, but a couple other new/haven't played much people wanted to play with me. I think it was Nabs, Pop On Arrival, medic, Mutfox, and RocketDarkness, so maybe there would be enough people if someone can host a server for us all to try playing sometime. I'll try to have them post in here.

Red Scarlet said:
I haven't tried it out yet, but a couple other new/haven't played much people wanted to play with me. I think it was Nabs, Pop On Arrival, medic, Mutfox, and RocketDarkness, so maybe there would be enough people if someone can host a server for us all to try playing sometime. I'll try to have them post in here.
There isn't any server hosting in tf2, you just look for a server with room in it and have everyone else join it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I drop using the kb/m and try using my 360 pad. After using the exec "360gamepad" in the command console, all is perfect.

I doubled my average life span, halved my deaths and tripled the amount of kills per game. Awesome.

firex

Dani said:
I drop using the kb/m and try using my 360 pad. After using the exec "360gamepad" in the command console, all is perfect.

I doubled my average life span, halved my deaths and tripled the amount of kills per game. Awesome.
usually the opposite happens! but if that works, go for it.

I haven't played tf2 in awhile, but I have all the pyro and medic unlocks, and 2/3 of the heavy unlocks, so if any of the newer players want someone to play with, let me know. I'm a horrible medic, though, so I just play pyro and spy most of the time, with a little sniper thrown in if it's really necessary. although I tend to prefer spy for taking out people to sniper since it's really rewarding and there's a huge rush from sneaking around as that class.

Dani said:

That's like cutting your leg off cause you happen to be running a one leg foot race. But I suppose that if it's fun, then its fun.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
A few of my friends got the Orange Box so it's been nice playing some games with them, got one to heal me while we went on a rampage on some random Turbine server ended up with like 120 kills 30 deaths 40 assists and about 15 dominations, good times.

Red Scarlet

PillowKnight said:
There isn't any server hosting in tf2, you just look for a server with room in it and have everyone else join it.

Well, Mutfox sometimes hosts L4D games, so I was kind of nudging that request his way, maybe he could host a 4 on 4 or something sometime..

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PillowKnight said:
That's like cutting your leg off cause you happen to be running a one leg foot race. But I suppose that if it's fun, then its fun.

I don't have a comfortable setup right now for my kb/m setup, it rests on my bed, kinda awkward. I've been playing FPS with a joypad since Goldeneye, it's just the way I like it with lovely inverse y axis.

For other noobs like me, guys try Soldier and Pyro too. Soldier is straight up shoot shit at folks and Pyro is simple get up close and burn people, easy stuff.

firex

that could work with arena mode, but I think TF2 is most fun with big groups of people, at least on all the objective based maps. They're fun with a big team of 12+ each. Although I also feel like TF2 is more fun played casually, even with strangers, just because it's inherently about getting random people to work together as a team.

Red Scarlet said:
Well, Mutfox sometimes hosts L4D games, so I was kind of nudging that request his way, maybe he could host a 4 on 4 or something sometime..
Oh that'd be cool, tf2 is really at its best in 12v12 though.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
firex said:
that could work with arena mode, but I think TF2 is most fun with big groups of people, at least on all the objective based maps. They're fun with a big team of 12+ each. Although I also feel like TF2 is more fun played casually, even with strangers, just because it's inherently about getting random people to work together as a team.

I find not knowing or caring about anyone on your team or opposite team gets kind of boring after a while. Although, I'm always happy when some Medic comes along right when I need him and sticks with me if he sees me going for a dangerous area.

Red Scarlet

PillowKnight said:
Oh that'd be cool, tf2 is really at its best in 12v12 though.

I think Mutfox said he'd have trouble hosting that many people. :/ I'll ask him to post in here. I'd really like to play, I've only watched random matches to try to get some info about how the game flows. The spectate mode really sucks for the game compared to CS, it doesn't stay on a player, it cycles through everyone every couple of seconds and there is no free-look to try to look at maps and stuff.

MutFox

Banned
The best thing I'd say is if we all find some empty 24 player server,
and take it over as fast as we can. :p

Cause once we seed it, it'll attract others.
As long as all the Gaffers get on, that should be good.

speedpop

Dani said:
I find not knowing or caring about anyone on your team or opposite team gets kind of boring after a while. Although, I'm always happy when some Medic comes along right when I need him and sticks with me if he sees me going for a dangerous area.
If you tend to stick to a certain amount of servers, you'll eventually know who is who and start to befriend them. i.e. there's a real good Demoman on the servers I play called Delta Force and he seems to love it whenever I throw him a Kritz or Uber his way.. and it's good fun cause I know that when I'm on the opposite side of him and his team are losing real badly, he starts having a nervous breakdown :lol so I tell the snipers and spies on my team to hassle him more than usual to help that process along.

Red Scarlet said:
The spectate mode really sucks for the game compared to CS, it doesn't stay on a player, it cycles through everyone every couple of seconds and there is no free-look to try to look at maps and stuff.
Once you're in spectator mode, press get onto a character then press spacebar a few times. There are three modes of view: first-person, third-person, free-view. Once you get free-view you can move around the map as much as you want.

Red Scarlet said:
I think Mutfox said he'd have trouble hosting that many people. :/ I'll ask him to post in here. I'd really like to play, I've only watched random matches to try to get some info about how the game flows. The spectate mode really sucks for the game compared to CS, it doesn't stay on a player, it cycles through everyone every couple of seconds and there is no free-look to try to look at maps and stuff.
There is free look, you may have to enable it though. Its activated by pressing the space bar.

Volcynika

I can't ever free look in any game EVER. I hit spacebar and every other key, but I'm still stuck following someone or looking at a point.

:/

Volcynika said:
I can't ever free look in any game EVER. I hit spacebar and every other key, but I'm still stuck following someone or looking at a point.

:/
Either 1) the server you're on disabled it, or 2) you haven't moved around yet.
In tf2 freespec mode is basically "follow someone around in 3rd person view mode" until you use wasd to move.

I just realized you probably already knew that.

firex

Dani said:
I find servers and play on them regularly. I just mean don't be afraid of playing with strangers. TF2 is pretty fun even with random people.

Red Scarlet

Maybe it's disabled on the tv servers I've been to. All spacebar does for me is change from a first-person view to a third-person view.

speedpop

Only got around to watching that TF2 Pyro Tutorial video that Ikuu posted and highly recommend it. Most of it I had already figured out with the class as I am a big compression lover, but it was worthwhile in seeing some shortcuts available to traverse over.

undrtakr900

firex said:
I find servers and play on them regularly. I just mean don't be afraid of playing with strangers. TF2 is pretty fun even with random people.
I recommend this also I added a few good servers to my Favorites list and only play on them. I find people frequent the same servers so after a while I start recognizing other players.

rass

undrtakr900 said:
1)What I said previously:
"Check out my "How to Play..." Video Thread over at the official Steam Forums, those videos helped me a lot when I first got the game, try to focus on one class then branch to others. When learning a class spectate other players using said class to see how they play to learn new tactics.
I'd suggest you start a level by yourself so you can learn the health/ammo spawns, objective locations and level layout. Its also a great way to try out the different characters/weapons at your leisure."

2) I don't know why Valve has screenshots saved as TGA files but you can set all future screens to save as a .JPEG:
  • Open NotePad and add Bind "F5" JPEG
  • Save the file name as autoexec.cfg
  • Put the autoexec.cfg here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<Your Name>\team fortress 2\tf\cfg
Now all future screenshots you take will be saved as Jpeg =)
thankyou so so so very much

also, I just added a couple of you who had your IDs on this page -- im rushmcx on steam

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Don't know if anyone cares, but here's a demo of me playing for a bit on eXo.

Some sniper stuff, a little bit of spy, then some Heavy. After it is Blu(Me) vs RED on Dustbowl3 as Soldier :lol (Might want to skip past the first point)
Then more sniper. Think I finished in top 3 most of the time, did pretty well overall. You can see me have good moments sniping, then total suckage sometimes :lol It comes and goes except for that time on Mach 4.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ltyz2zzwnyg

How to play:
1) unrar the .dem and place it in
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\ID NAME\team fortress 2\tf
2) Open TF2, yes open, not drag it
3) Hit Shift + F2 (Or go into console and type 'demoui' or 'demoui2'
4) Load the map and play it

Cheeto

Red Scarlet said:
Maybe it's disabled on the tv servers I've been to. All spacebar does for me is change from a first-person view to a third-person view.
Free look usually only works in spectator mode to prevent ghosting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom