• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
man had a nice run in with a racist named Slo on the Gaimtheory.com server, a guy named begrip!navy1g kept owning Slo, so Slo started the whole " youre a hacking n*gger, eat my cock j*w n*gger", etc etc, it was really bad (but funny seeing him spaz out), even his own team was telling him to STFU, so what I did is go demo and just max lob the sticky nades on the wall on the opposing 2fort base roof, from our own roof, and he would do the sneak and peak (he kept staying on sniper) from that spot and I musta gotten like 10 sticky kills alone on him, while begrip picked him off other times, the whole server cheered when he rage quitted.

:lol

other than that I havent run into any smacktards

RiskyChris said:
20070921.jpg

:lol So very, very true.

1-D_FTW

Zanboo: I was gonna join that game last night, but my ping was crap. I was like, WTF are you GAF guys playing on? Then I realized my ping sucked to every server.

My server with the lowest available ping was 140 (and it quickly went up.) Did a DSLreports.com test and an ATT router (I think around Miami) was taking my ping from New York from 33 to 166 by this little bastard.) Seems to be fixed, so I'm hoping it's not reoccurring.

Rur0ni

RiskyChris said:
This is the absolute truth. Hitting the heavy is more than a waste of time. Spanking that medic while the heavy is exposed, he'll not realize his medic love is gone and take 2 sniper shots to the face and die. I just hate when a medic is smart and keeps moving wildly. :(

Ferrio

Banned
Rur0ni said:
This is the absolute truth. Hitting the heavy is more than a waste of time. Spanking that medic while the heavy is exposed, he'll not realize his medic love is gone and take 2 sniper shots to the face and die. I just hate when a medic is smart and keeps moving wildly. :(

1 full power sniper shot to the face even with a medic will kill a heavy.

theultimo said:
I love Double Kills:

[/QUOTE]

Ha! I remember that I think, werent you coming up with the docs or something? I love the gibs in this game, and its hilarious when it points out things like "Your foot", "Your kidney" etc. :D

Aegus

Jesus christ the Demo is bloody powrful. With a medic in hand I've wiped out swarms of enemies/sgs and still manage to come out of 2Fort with the flag. My worst class in TFC is now one of my best classes. People just don't expect you to have laid a sticky grenade in their retreat path. :lol

probune

I've been spectating on a bunch of games for a while now but I'm reluctant to jump in since I've never played a multiplayer shooter before, is this game noob friendly at all?

Ferrio

Banned
probune said:
I've been spectating on a bunch of games for a while now but I'm reluctant to jump in since I've never played a multiplayer shooter before, is this game noob friendly at all?

Wow never? That's kinda impressive. Just hop in, you'll get the hang of it eventually.

In terms of easiest to use I'd rate the classes as such

Medic >= HWguy > Pyro > Soldier > Engineer > Demoman > Scout > Sniper > Spy

probune said:

It is beyond noob friendly because the developers had noobs in mind (next step: profit). I think the Valve commentary suggested starting with Heavy Weapons Guy. Removal of grenades also helped reduce intimidation according to their tests. Jump In®.

probune said:

yeah the style and interface is very noob friendly

probune said:

A lot more than most, I would say. Try being a medic and just healing your team, maybe find someone that looks like they know what they're doing and follow them around to get a feel for the map. Watch how other people play the different classes, and just start playing whichever appeals to you most.

lexi

Banned
Don't get discouraged if you see godlike players and you wonder how the hell they do what they're doing, keep at it and you'll find a class that you can play very well.

Rur0ni

Ferrio said:
1 full power sniper shot to the face even with a medic will kill a heavy.
I rarely get my sniper rifle to full power, too campy. I'm more the aggressor type, and keep comin' hard. :p

Aegus said:
Jesus christ the Demo is bloody powrful. With a medic in hand I've wiped out swarms of enemies/sgs and still manage to come out of 2Fort with the flag. My worst class in TFC is now one of my best classes. People just don't expect you to have laid a sticky grenade in their retreat path. :lol

I KNOW!

I was medicing a demo named Harlock on 2fort and he got I kid oyu not like 7 or 8 bottle kills in a row, not to mention nade kills and he capped 4 times (in the 2 games we played) needless to say we friended each other immediatly

DEMO + MEDIC = SCARY

Cheeto

ZombieSupaStar said:
I KNOW!

I was medicing a demo named Harlock on 2fort and he got I kid oyu not like 7 or 8 bottle kills in a row, not to mention nade kills and he capped 4 times (in the 2 games we played) needless to say we friended each other immediatly

DEMO + MEDIC = SCARY

Oh yes, Me(as demo) and Puyo(as medic) run through many many people...I think I like the Demo+Medic combo more then the Demo+Soldier combo.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Man i just an an intense game on Dustbowl, we were on the last capture area, we only just lost the first point close to the time running out, then we had to defend for 15 minutes on the last point till the game ran out.

It was so much fun. I love this game.

bbyybb said:
Man i just an an intense game on Dustbowl, we were on the last capture area, we only just lost the first point close to the time running out, then we had to defend for 15 minutes on the last point till the game ran out.

It was so much fun. I love this game.
That last capture area on Dustbowl that's in front the bridge, has definitely provided the most memorable games for me. I absolutely raked in kills on defense as a demo in a demo+medic combo hurling grenades past the bridge and around corner at the other team. Have had a couple of absolutley INSANE matches in that area. Ah.. i love this game so much.

lexi

Banned
I just played the spy for a bit, was shit at it to begin with but started to get quite adept with it, ended up on some sort of freakish rampage in which I infiltrated the enemy base, sapped the turret shot the lone engineer, took the briefcase and killed 4-5 guys on my way out and back into my base to cap :lol

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
1-D_FTW said:
Zanboo: I was gonna join that game last night, but my ping was crap. I was like, WTF are you GAF guys playing on? Then I realized my ping sucked to every server.

Steam Community is absolutely wonderful. Even when I join a random server, I'll see GAFers and other friends start to trickle in, and it turns into a much more entertaining experience.

If you haven't yet, add all the diehard TF2 players (there's a bunch) from GAF. You'll never have to play on a random pub again. Even if you do, it won't be long before someone joins you. :D

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'd suggest joining the chat before playing if you don't have many people on your friends list yet. Makes it easy to see which GAFfers are currently playing.

tf2.jpg

Soooo awesome. The perks of being killed as a pyro.

(Incidentally, I'm packing up my PC at some point today, so if I get in game today, it's the last anyone will see me until next week some time)

Zanboo said:
Steam Community is absolutely wonderful. Even when I join a random server, I'll see GAFers and other friends start to trickle in, and it turns into a much more entertaining experience.

If you haven't yet, add all the diehard TF2 players (there's a bunch) from GAF. You'll never have to play on a random pub again. Even if you do, it won't be long before someone joins you. :D
Yep, I joined a game and soon Quellex, Tre`,and BizaroMan all soon followed. These guys are sick! Tre, Quellex, and Cheeto are some of the best Demomen. I was amazed by how well they all defended the bases and were able to rush the enemy base and rack up on kills.

ex0du5

Banned
Ferrio said:
Wow never? That's kinda impressive. Just hop in, you'll get the hang of it eventually.

In terms of easiest to use I'd rate the classes as such

Medic >= HWguy > Pyro > Soldier > Engineer > Demoman > Scout > Sniper > Spy

I agree with most. But, I would swap Pyro for Sniper, for sure. Sniper is one of the easiest classes to play since it's a very straightforward one, and it doesn't take much to pick off distant targets. Pyro is a very niche class. Pyro is only very effective in certain situations, and it takes a good player to recognize those situations.

Scout is a tricky thing. If you're good at quick FPS, then Scout will be very easy, since it's purely a twitch class.

Spy is definitely one of the harder classes, and a very psychological one.

I would rank the classes differently for myself, but that's simply due to my play style and FPS abilities.

Scout > Soldier > Engineer > Demoman > Medic > Sniper > Pyro > HWGuy (insert Spy anywhere, as it purely depends on who I'm playing against, and the size of the server)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
omgimaninja said:
Yep, I joined a game and soon Quellex, Tre`,and BizaroMan all soon followed. These guys are sick! Tre, Quellex, and Cheeto are some of the best Demomen. I was amazed by how well they all defended the bases and were able to rush the enemy base and rack up on kills.
I'm surpised at how many great demos gaf has. Like two nights ago, half the opposing team was demos bouncing grenades through tunnels. Maybe everyone's just going through grenade spam withdrawl. :lol

It makes me want to pick up the class.

artist

Banned
Man, WarHawk (really good) and TF2 (THE best) came out so close to each other, its easier to decide for me and ignore WarHawk until they fix the stats/server full issues ..

This is THE best multiplayer experience I have ever had. Knowing Valve, they will add more maps down the road .. so we get a lot of mileage for our loonie/dollar. Happiest purchase decision I've made this year.

Multiplayer GOTY.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I find the Spy really easy to play, basically just cloak to where the other team would come from hide, uncloak as something run around stabbing people. As for good EU servers, I've been playing on 85.236.100.118:28433 not seen a single asshole on there, and around 8:30 a whole bunch of people from another forum I post at start to join.

Wish the stats tracked total stats, rather than just the highest per life though. Would be nice to see how many backstabs I have now :p

fallout

WhatRuOn said:
Oh yes, Me(as demo) and Puyo(as medic) run through many many people...I think I like the Demo+Medic combo more then the Demo+Soldier combo.
Uh huh. Me and Tre were tearing it up for a bit last night as demo+medic.

Though, I am starting to get a little annoyed being called a noob for playing the medic class. It's like, do you fuckers want me to heal you or not?

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
fallout said:
Though, I am starting to get a little annoyed being called a noob for playing the medic class. It's like, do you fuckers want me to heal you or not?

Seriously, a great medic is the most beneficial member of a team. Everyone, regardless of class, takes damage.

Defcon

Banned
Anyone gotten all the achievements yet? I need 7 more and a few of them look like they will be pretty damn hard to get without a good team, which pubs aren't exactly known for.

Zalasta

fallout said:

Healers in any kind of game are the least appreciated. They get blamed first when things go wrong, and hardly ever mentioned when they go right. It's always the people that do the most damage who get the glory.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
So this game ran perfectly for me until I changed the graphic settings to widescreen, then it started crashing after about a minute into every game. I tried reinstalling my drivers, reinstalling steam, reinstalling the game (twice) and trying all sorts of graphical settings. Still crashes every. single. fucking. time. And every other source game still runs really smooth.

Is anyone else having similar problems?

Flo_Evans said:
Is there anyway to buy just TF2 and get the beta? I dont want the whole orange box... I already have HL2.

No, the beta is a way to incentives the orange box, its like a pre-order bonus. when the game comes out you can buy TF2 alone for 29.95 or you can buy the orange box now for 44.95

Flo_Evans

wartime1020 said:
No, the beta is a way to incentives the orange box, its like a pre-order bonus. when the game comes out you can buy TF2 alone for 29.95 or you can buy the orange box now for 44.95

damn. hmm well it seems you can 'gift' your HL2 from the orange box to someone else if you already have it.... anyone want it? :)

Daigoro

a GAF server awesome, thanks Icy! i will be checking this out this weekend.

i finally played TF2 for the first time last night for a few hours. i was pretty confused on some of the maps at first, but it was very fun. (and the jittering was very distracting.)

Teknopathetic said:
This latest patch has caused a problem with the windows Dedicated server apparently, causing nasty jittering.

Also:

*******************THERE IS NOW A NEOGAF TF2 SERVER*****************

IcyDeath has kindly setup a dedicated named NeoGAF - Official NeoGAF 24 Man TF2 24/7 BELIEVE.

IP is 66.55.131.183:27015
Password is: neogaf2k7 unless he removes the password in which case it should be just public.

Currently the server IS on the windows dedicated server resulting in the nasty jittering, but Icy has said he'll be switching it to linux soon.

So be sure to give your thanks to him.

whoo!

great news all around. i was thinking the jitters was something up with my PC last night because i was getting very acceptable fps, but i could barely concentrate on what was happening on the screen with the jitters. it was very confusing. (hope they fixed it allready.

PatzCU

Zalasta said:
Healers in any kind of game are the least appreciated. They get blamed first when things go wrong, and hardly ever mentioned when they go right. It's always the people that do the most damage who get the glory.

Ya I've been playing Medic a lot, and I also play a healer in WoW (Paladin). It's really a mixed bag as to what kind of reactions you get from people. But in any case, a healer adds a whole lot in this game. Especially because of the 15 second respawn times. If you can give your team Kill: Death ratios above 1:1, you are adding immensely.

Kodiak said:
So this game ran perfectly for me until I changed the graphic settings to widescreen, then it started crashing after about a minute into every game. I tried reinstalling my drivers, reinstalling steam, reinstalling the game (twice) and trying all sorts of graphical settings. Still crashes every. single. fucking. time. And every other source game still runs really smooth.

Is anyone else having similar problems?

If I change a graphics setting while I'm playing, the game will crash. If I leave the graphics settings alone while the game is active, it works fine.

KTallguy

Banned
PatzCU said:
Ya I've been playing Medic a lot, and I also play a healer in WoW (Paladin). It's really a mixed bag as to what kind of reactions you get from people. But in any case, a healer adds a whole lot in this game. Especially because of the 15 second respawn times. If you can give your team Kill: Death ratios above 1:1, you are adding immensely.

Yea, Medics are EXTREMELY important.

Engineers are also very important, because of teleporters and sentry guns.

Frick, every class is very good in this game, especially in the right situation.

Pyros can really screw people badly, and you can blanket a choke point with fire. They're far from useless.

The funniest thing was seeing someone masquerading as me last night, it was so surreal :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom