• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
Has anyone captured any videos of their matches yet? (I'm assuming its not against the Beta's Terms and Conditions to do so)

lexi

Banned
bune duggy said:
So let's say I'm interested in this game but will more than likely not be very good at it. Should I bother, since it's multi only?

Yes, you'll find your preferred class in time and eventually get better at it. Just don't expect to be great at another class after, they all play so radically different (imo) :lol

pxleyes

Banned
Wow wow wow. I cant stop playing. I start and literally let 3 hours pass then feel somewhat guilt about the whole thing. Then I go and play some more. :lol

bune duggy said:
So let's say I'm interested in this game but will more than likely not be very good at it. Should I bother, since it's multi only?
this game is not like halo or other fps where novices are fucked simply because they dont know the maps and weapon spawns. You start with all the weapons you need, all it really takes is to learn them (fairly simple)

It didnt take me long at all to start owning at TFC and I typically am not great at fps.

edit: don't worry about the balance issues you may notice. Valve is watching us closely as we speak. Every mouse gesture, every tap on the keyboard... stats only of course :lol !

I ended up accumulating nearly 20 hours so far. Still is not enough. Anybody else got that feeling? My only issue is an old Valve skeleton: freezing at "retrieving server info...". Apparently that's a hardware issue that can only go away by adding more $$money$$. Moooore moooneeey.

Victrix

*beard*
bishoptl said:
Respawns need to be dropped to 5 seconds maximum across the board. Irritating as hell.

They're a necessary evil I think, pubs would stalemate WAY too often if the respawns weren't present, and didn't autoadjust based on who has what captured

Sudden Death is seriously fucking stupid though. They need to change it so Sudden Death is 'sudden death' on next capture, not some sort of retarded no respawning dm brawl

lexi

Banned
Victrix said:
They're a necessary evil I think, pubs would stalemate WAY too often if the respawns weren't present, and didn't autoadjust based on who has what captured

Sudden Death is seriously fucking stupid though. They need to change it so Sudden Death is 'sudden death' on next capture, not some sort of retarded no respawning dm brawl

Sudden Death is stupid, my one critique of the game so far.

I was in a pub where our team was up 6-1 in caps on Fort2, it went to sudden death and we eventually ended up losing. Another example was in sudden death where the opposition had only 1 surviving engineer camped in the base, the timer ran out and it was a 'stalemate'

Shouldn't the game judge that we have more people alive, thus we win sudden death? And if the cap limit isn't reached, shouldn't the team with the higher cap score win?

Victrix said:

Stalemating is fine.

Either remove spawn timer, or have people spawn in waves (is this done already?). As it stands, poor death distribution can really fuck a team up.

FatalT

Banned
Just played with the GAFfer Cromanion and he's seriously a dick.

His team really showed how overpowered scouts can be in large numbers. Those bats are brutal.

Victrix

*beard*
ThaiGrocer said:
edit: don't worry about the balance issues you may notice. Valve is watching us closely as we speak. Every mouse gesture, every tap on the keyboard... stats only of course :lol !

I hope so

Despite my best efforts to figure out a way to make the Pyro not suck:

stats.jpg

:/

If it counted assists for the Pyro, it *might* be closer. I've watched my k/d over several games with him, and it's often reasonable with assists counted, so I know I'm at least helping score more kills for the team.

But holy christ he is USELESS on so many objectives on so many maps. Any situation I'd be out there on the field as a Pyro, I'd be wishing I was a Soldier, Demo, or Heavy, so I could actually contribute

Another issue - a Medic can help those three classes in battle FAR more safely than a Pyro, who he has to get into close range combat with, there's no other way for the Pyro to do damage.

And I spend about half my time using the Shotgun with the Pyro, compared with the others, where their primary weapon is, well, their primary weapon.

Ah well. I'll keep trying, maybe there's something I'm still missing.

edit: one other argh-pyro rant, his flamethrower blows ass for shooting up or down, which is fucking irritating when you're flaming some guy on a ledge 5 feet above you and you can't hit him, or a sniper in the window on well, and again, you can't hit him

edit again: average kills and average points are the same sort of whacked stat display, pyro is lower than the others, despite more playtime, and lots of deliberate effort on my part to play to his strengths - even with assists counted, he's still not great

I both like and dislike Sudden Death. I like that rounds don't go FOREVER with both teams camping up. But I also don't like teams that just camp up in normal time in hopes that they can score a win in sudden death (because they're pussies).

Respawn timer's not toooo big of a deal. down to 10 seconds wouldn't be so bad.

And I recorded some videos of me nubbing it up but they were only 3v3/4v4 or so super late night.

Druz

FatalT said:
Just played with the GAFfer Cromanion and he's seriously a dick.

His team really showed how overpowered scouts can be in large numbers. Those bats are brutal.

We were laughing at you the whole time. Sorry.

The scouts are easily counterable with a pyro, ohwhell.

MutFox

Banned
Tek, that round where I was the Spy, you kept finding me... :lol

Druz said:
The scouts are easily counterable with a pyro, ohwhell.

Dunno about that, you flame them but they just run up and bat you... :p

MutFox

Banned
Druz said:
The flame is blinding and does insane damage to Scouts.

Does a lot of damage, but should slow them down...
You flame them, they run towards you with their last dying breathe and beat you.

lexi

Banned
BTW One thing I'm inherently bad at is detecting opposition spies, I can only be certain of a spy if I actually see them transform in front of me, or something obviously blatant, yet I'm sure there's better ways to tell this kind of thing, Tre seems rather good at it :lol

Cryect

lockii said:
Sudden Death is stupid, my one critique of the game so far.

I was in a pub where our team was up 6-1 in caps on Fort2, it went to sudden death and we eventually ended up losing. Another example was in sudden death where the opposition had only 1 surviving engineer camped in the base, the timer ran out and it was a 'stalemate'

Shouldn't the game judge that we have more people alive, thus we win sudden death? And if the cap limit isn't reached, shouldn't the team with the higher cap score win?

Did you guys try completing the map objectives? Not really too feasible unfortunately on 2fort but the control point maps it works well where you just cut the other team down to the part where they can't put up a good enough defense to stop you.

MutFox

Banned
lockii said:
BTW One thing I'm inherently bad at is detecting opposition spies, I can only be certain of a spy if I actually see them transform in front of me, or something obviously blatant, yet I'm sure there's better ways to tell this kind of thing, Tre seems rather good at it :lol

As a Spy I got an opposing medic to UberCharge me... LOL
My team just looked at the Medic while he stood beside me...
We then proceeded to kill him.

Cryect said:
Did you guys try completing the map objectives? Not really too feasible unfortunately on 2fort but the control point maps it works well where you just cut the other team down to the part where they can't put up a good enough defense to stop you.

Yeah except teams can go into extreme turtle mode if they really want to. We had two caps on gravelpit and the red team busted out 6 engineers, 3 medics and 2 soldiers on C and we had no chance of combating that. As soon as you take out a turret another eng is leaping over to reconstruct it and being healed the whole time (not to mention there's at least one eng on every turret chain wrenching it and being healed) with soldiers covering fire.

Also there's this tendency for teams in sudden death to super turtle, it's really boring.

Cryect

Would probably help if they had class limits and in general would make for more interesting game play on PUG servers so not everyone is one class or something. Heh, irritates me when my team is completely unbalanced to be pure defense or something else worthless like half spies. Also seen stuff like a team going all demo's on like Well for the startup capture and they just inundate the entry ways with grenades as they cap (probably wouldn't work well against an organized team who knows to precharge invulns etc but with pickup it just results in a lot of instant gibs from grenades hitting or exploding nearby).

fallout

In my own defense, it was during a pretty heavy firefight. Everyone else was dead and I nearly had an ubercharge, so I just switched to the next red thing I saw and used it in the hope that it wouldn't be wasted. I think if that happens again, I'm just going to run and try to get away before the thing wears off.

Victrix said:
Pyro Rant
Doesnt sound a hell of a lot different than TFC, you just gotta figure out how to use him. I havent played TF2, but based on my prior experience, maybe this can help:

-never stand still with flame thrower. Constantly circle strafe around the target while your flames blind them. A HW is defenseless against this

-People are claiming Scout is over powered because of his shotgun. No shame in using yours

-Stick to defense, you can get the drop on enemies more often than not

Victrix

*beard*
Suburban Cowboy said:
Doesnt sound a hell of a lot different than TFC, you just gotta figure out how to use him. I havent played TF2, but based on my prior experience, maybe this can help:

-never stand still with flame thrower. Constantly circle strafe around the target while your flames blind them. A HW is defenseless against this

-People are claiming Scout is over powered because of his shotgun. No shame in using yours

-Stick to defense, you can get the drop on enemies more often than not

Tried all of those and more besides

Trust me, I'm not new to to this, I've played TF since TF, and fps stuff even longer

I still think its a weak class relative to the others

But whatever, I'm sure Valve is monitoring the hell out of stats, they'll tinker with stuff down the line, it's not like I can't play others that are more effective

Ferrio

Banned
Suburban Cowboy said:

Defenseless? Gimme a break, it's not hard at all to see through the flames and mow down the bastard.

Victrix

*beard*
Ferrio said:
Defenseless? Gimme a break, it's not hard at all to see through the flames and mow down the bastard.

indeed, you die in <second to a hw at point blank

demo/soldier isn't much better

really embarassing is the scout though

Roat

Banned
Pre-ordered this after seeing the good impressions, and I'm very impressed myself. It's got some nice touches and is very fun to play.

On the pyro, so far he seems a bit weak in comparison. In TFC it would create chaos as your vision was greatly obscured but in this the enemy doesn't seem to have that much trouble. If I have to get that close to take on the enemy I'd rather have something that mows them down (HWGuy) instead of the damage the flamethrower is doing

Ferrio

Banned
Victrix said:
indeed, you die in <second to a hw at point blank

demo/soldier isn't much better

really embarassing is the scout though

Thing is I think a really good scout at close range is way better than a really good pyro at close range.

I'm pretty sure at that range scout's shotgun does more damage, and with his speed he's a lot harder to hit.

Joe Molotov

lockii said:

I just shoot at anyone that looks suspicious (i.e. anyone that's running toward me :lol ).

cbodom said:
man this game is terrible, sh1t compared to qwtf

crysomemore.jpg

After playing a bunch, the only thing I really wish they would change is show how many people are in each class on the class select screen, so you dont have to tab over it to find out what the most useful role to pick is going to be.

Victrix

*beard*
Ferrio said:
Thing is I think a really good scout at close range is way better than a really good pyro at close range.

I'm pretty sure at that range scout's shotgun does more damage, and with his speed he's a lot harder to hit.

He is for sure, the Scout is actually pretty absurdly dangerous if you're skilled - his low health really is his only weak point, turrets can tear him up, and if he gets spotted by a heavy on open ground, he's also in trouble.

Difference is, most situations that are bad for him, he has the mobility to escape or avoid, the Pyro does not, and his range is a severe disadvantage.

On defense, I'd rather be playing a Demo, Engineer, or Medic with a Heavy partner.

The Pyro sort of feels like the 'Heavy' version of the soldier or demo. He's easy to hit with, but his short range is crippling.

In comparison, the Heavy has his speed to limit his effectiveness, but he is devastating for area defense, and a house on offense with a medic along - the Pyro is neither

I dunno. I have to work WAY harder when playing a Pyro to feel like I'm being useful for my team at all, and frequently I feel useless.

In other news, my random wish for the day: No Medic button allowed if you're at full health, and a limit on how often you can mash it. I hate wasting time looking for tards who just want a medic along to r0xx0r. Guess what - Medics seek you out if you're good, or your class is vital for clearing a defensive obstacle, not because you can mash the medic button more than the guy nearby who actually needs healing.

Victrix said:
In other news, my random wish for the day: No Medic button allowed if you're at full health, and a limit on how often you can mash it. I hate wasting time looking for tards who just want a medic along to r0xx0r. Guess what - Medics seek you out if you're good, or your class is vital for clearing a defensive obstacle, not because you can mash the medic button more than the guy nearby who actually needs healing.

Thats not as annoying as healing soldiers who run away from the front lines as soon as you start healing them until they get full health, and dont even fire at the guys shooting you while youre healing them :/

Ferrio

Banned
Victrix said:

No thanks on that. I use the medic button when I'm a heavy to help my medic friend find me when I've respawned.

Jube3

Well the only thing ive bought off steam was the original HL2 gold and I got the box for that. I didnt think they still did that, thats why I asked :p

Aegus

cbodom said:
man this game is terrible, sh1t compared to qwtf

- why the respawn timer? nothing more lame then getting sniped on 2fort trying to leave your base. yea, ya know, actually moving in the game not hiding in some stupid corner then sitting out 15secs.

- where are the grenades? how are people supposed to fight off 3 enemies without the conc, smoke, or anything?

a disappointment coming from a long time q1tf player... it does look real cool cartony, but the gameplay is meh.

Learn to play as a team.... It's called Team Fortress 2 for a reason you know. It's far more team based than TFC or whatever ever was.

Some of the defences in Dustbowl Stage 2 have been godawful for me. They're so focused on defending the entrance that I can manage to sneak behind everyone and cap the point just out of range of SGs. I then scoot off again and capture the 2nd point about 10 seconds later.:lol

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
I've been playing with a friend Soldier + Medic and it really is the best combo. HWG really can't handle sentry guns, etc. well, but the soldier excels as knocking them out, as well as general killing. The only thing that sucks is four rockets.

Hopefully no one here will give out our secret tactic (ZombieSupaStar and ElectricBlue) :D

Jackson

Zanboo said:
I've been playing with a friend Soldier + Medic and it really is the best combo. HWG really can't handle sentry guns, etc. well, but the soldier excels as knocking them out, as well as general killing. The only thing that sucks is four rockets.

Yup, agree on all points.

"BTW One thing I'm inherently bad at is detecting opposition spies, I can only be certain of a spy if I actually see them transform in front of me, or something obviously blatant, yet I'm sure there's better ways to tell this kind of thing, Tre seems rather good at it"

Shoot people in the face. as a demoman, if the grenade explodes, they're a spy, if not, then they're cool. Shoot everyone in the face. You never know when they're around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom