• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

datruth29

Damn the Demoman kicks ass, especially on defense. And the sticky granades are the key to winning with that dude.

One hint for everybody: Never, ever, EVER, underestimate the placement of a teleporter. It's the difference between getting back to a better defense point as fast as you can versus taking an additional 20 seconds to get to a shitty defensive spot.

Good games tonight, our team got owned severely. But it was all good fun.

Teleporters are key indeed! As soldier I die a lot, and walking back to where the action is can take minutes.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
******************THERE IS NOW A NEOGAF TF2 SERVER*****************

IcyDeath has kindly setup a dedicated named NeoGAF - Official NeoGAF 24 Man TF2 24/7 BELIEVE.

IP is 66.55.131.183:27015
Password is: neogaf2k7 unless he removes the password in which case it should be just public.

Moving this to the next page, and wanted to say thanks so much Icy, server runs wonderfully.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Ok, so far, GOTY.

And this is a week after telling everyone how Bioshock is one of the greatest games i've ever played.

I can't believe how intensely caught up in the team victory I get every.single.round. Every game feels like a clan match, I guess Valve have done the impossible and actually made a online team FPS where it's near impossible to play for yourself without directly benefitting the team effort.

Balanced to fucking perfection. PERFECTION.

firex

I just spent like 4 hours playing the game nonstop... awesome fun, and finally I really got to try out a bunch of different classes and learn maps and stuff. I played so long I earned like 7 achievements... anyway, I still suck at the game, but I've learned engineer decently. I also put some time in on scout and pyro, and pyro is just like it was said a few pages back: actually not bad as an ambusher. Pretty much nothing is as awesome as scout on offense, though. at least IMO. it doesn't hurt that they're godly on cp maps.

The only classes I don't really like are sniper (don't know good sniping spots on each map, and I keep overthinking it and try to find cover and a place to snipe from all at once, instead of just finding a place where I could strafe after shooting) and soldier. Maybe it's just me, but demoman seems to pretty much eliminate soldier for utility and damage dealing... also it can be an extremely annoying camper class without much way to counter it. This is especially true on defense, and it makes me think Valve will have to change the setup phase on defense for most cp maps because it's just way too cheesy when a team of 3-4 demos puts stickies on the tunnels leading out of the spawn. A simple fix is to either move the gates up a little bit to a more open area so they can't be turned into a deathtrap for anyone (seriously, I went as a buffed up heavy and still died instantly), or just don't let demos use stickies until after the setup phase is done. Or they'll just nerf stickies...

Anyway, back to the demo vs soldier thing... soldier seems like its only real value over demo is it can take out sentries from further away.

theultimo

ghst said:
Ok, so far, GOTY.

And this is a week after telling everyone how Bioshock is one of the greatest games i've ever played.

I can't believe how intensely caught up in the team victory I get every.single.round. Every game feels like a clan match, I guess Valve have done the impossible and actually made a online team FPS where it's near impossible to play for yourself without directly benefitting the team effort.

Balanced to fucking perfection. PERFECTION.
Heck, even the announcer is awesome with "YOU FAILED" BOOOOOO and the atmosphere of team gaming.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Snipers are way, way underused when it comes to taking out sentries. Demo's are sweet for the fuckers that hide them on awkward angles/round corners, but at range Snipers should be taking them down in one shot before it can even locate them.

quailtamer said:
As a sniper how do I shot sentry?

Well, technically you just zoom, wait, aim, shoot.

If you're talking about not getting hurt: a good way is to get a little bit of the sentry in your scope with a building in between. Two shots usually does the trick, even one.

This morning I was tempted to buy this but not really playing the first one I was unsure if it was a smart idea or not. Then I decided I would and was stuck for a few hours trying to decide which version, pc or 360. I went with the pc so I could play in the beta now, and I already have HL2 on the pc, I could use the expansions for it on here and just give away the free half life 2.. I'm so glad I picked this game up. I've been so addicted to it when I should have been spending more time on Halo 3 and WOW today. =\

I'm probably best at medic so far, mainly because I suck at aiming fast enough to kill anyone :p Spy was fun for a bit but it's ruined by the fact that everyone just shoots their team mates the entire match in fear of one being a spy.. Demo is fun, probably my 2nd favorite class after medic. It has the power of assault but you don't have to aim well :p Snipers, I hate snipers, be a man and get in the fight. Heavy assault is fun but I hate the slow movement. Scouts I feel are extremely over powered. They kill in 1-2 shot gun shots, they have a built in speed hack, double jump.. wtf. Anyways, back to the neogaf server!

1-D_FTW said:
Good game, guys. I'm out (StalkerU.) I didn't dominate the scoreboard, but I held my own playing Pryo most of the matches.

EDIT: I would have did better, but I couple of the control points I just ran in circles trying to find.
You were doing very well tonight as pyro, I was trying to heal you as puyo (medic) but sometimes it's hard to rush in to enemy base with medic + pyro.

It seemed a few days ago pyro was the most worthless class, but now everybody is playing as it!!

Jube3

Game is so much fun, Seeing dustbowl again was a trip the first time (in a long time) running down the last part of that map was awesome.

Aegus

Had a bloody amazing game of Dustbowl yesterday. 10 seconds left on the final point, a last minute charge by everyone and we manage to get onto the point and get it half full. I die though and then we swtch into overtime and the CP point is slowly going down and down until just before it's completely red we manage to get 4 people on it and win the bloody game! My entire being was shaking with excitement.:lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone's retrieving server info takes ages to load?

And how many aussie gaffers do we have that are playing TF2 at the moment? Where are you all!

Roat

Banned
evlcookie said:
Does anyone's retrieving server info takes ages to load?

And how many aussie gaffers do we have that are playing TF2 at the moment? Where are you all!

When it first retrieves the servers for me nothing shows up, hitting 'stop refresh' straight away fixes this

Don't know about gaffers but there's a shitload of Aussies on, as well as Aussie servers (Internode of course being the best ;)). It's good to see that it's getting a good showing.

1-D_FTW

omgimaninja said:
You were doing very well tonight as pyro, I was trying to heal you as puyo (medic) but sometimes it's hard to rush in to enemy base with medic + pyro.

It seemed a few days ago pyro was the most worthless class, but now everybody is playing as it!!

A couple times I had a medic on my back and didn't really know what my cover points were. But I figured, **** it, I don't wanna sit there with a medic on me, so I'd say screw it and rush anyways (Not that I don't rush most of the time anyways... but if you're a Pyro, it's vital to know your surroundings.)

Those games were the first time I ever drew a shotgun. I'm not sure why that tactic wasn't clicking, but I should get even better once I start getting that down.

Pulling the shotty out and shooting guys in the back as they're running away (and out of range... duh!) Why wasn't a doing that before? Much more effective than holding the flame button down and torching air:)

I also think it might be a better tactic when I flank in behind a group, to shoot the 1st guy in the back (at point range) and THEN pull out my gas kit.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Got to play against tre' last night, i think lonestar was in my team too. Anyway, had a blast, only thing that pissed me off was for some reason i crashed twice when the server switched maps, didnt do that when i joined another server afterward, weird.

Playing sniper while drunk is also...pretty bad mmkay. We still protected that damn last point :D

Uncle AJ

This is literally the most fun I've ever had with an FPS. I was expecting UT3 to be that shooter that would keep me occupied for the next year or so, but TF2 is going to be fighting for that distinction.

Defcon

Banned
I can't believe I've put in 18 hours playing the game since Tuesday. Haven't been this involved into a game since the early days of WoW.

Just so awesome.

Played last night (I was Teleportopotty) with some gaffers. At one point, we had a healing train going on: Heavy healed by a medic healed by a medic healed by a medic. The Heavy was unstoppable after two of the medics started healing him at the same time. All we did was charge to the last cap point in Dustbowl and sat on it while shooting enemies who ran out from spawn.

Hooker

Man, I can't stop playing!! I don't think I'll ever touch CS again for serious play.

I changed my main character from Engineer to Pyro / Demo now, racking up way more points ^^. And I need to watch my temper a bit, I get quite annoyed by people who don't know how to play the game (yet) - and don't listen to your advice...

Falch

Hooker said:
Man, I can't stop playing!! I don't think I'll ever touch CS again for serious play.

I changed my main character from Engineer to Pyro / Demo now, racking up way more points ^^. And I need to watch my temper a bit, I get quite annoyed by people who don't know how to play the game (yet) - and don't listen to your advice...

Haha, me too. Stupid medics that run right into the frontline, engineers that don't build sentries and dispenser. Still, what a great game.

Btw, neoGAF server offline?

Some things I would like to see.

Pyro flame given a wider code of fire (it's extremely narrow atm, it is flame not bullets)
Pyro flame given a little bit more length
Pyro health the same as soldier or just a little under.
Pyros do fuck all damage to other pyros with the flamethrower.
Sentry turrets should not have 360 arc (I presume this is a bug)
Sentry turrets should take a little time to lock on, they are immensely deadly atm, 1second or a bit less would do.
Scouts shotgun, tone down the damage a little.
Scout pistol, a little more accurate and powerful.
HW guy, when firing their turning circle should be much larger.
Soldier rockets should do less damage at point blank range (and ONLY point blank, this would stop soldiers getting kills from people in their face + stop soldiers blowing themselves up) *edit, the previous idea is dumb*

1-D_FTW

Just hopping on a couple public servers and it's depressing after yesterday. Nothing like getting slotted onto a team that has no chance of winning cause your teammates are idiots.

MrPing: I definitely don't agree about the rockets and the soldier. The soldier moves infuriatingly slow (especially when there's no teleports.) And his rockets from a distance are useless against live people since they're so slow and easily avoided. You wanna kill human players, getting close is your best method. Otherwise it's just random luck.

The turrets have 360 motion? Are you sure? I've played the engineer a lot and I don't even think the turn radius is 180 degrees. And I've spent plenty of times guarding and watching. And the turret has to see the target to stop and lock on. I'm not sure how you're getting that.

I know that about soldiers, aim at feet and being close gets u kills. I'm speaking only about point blank, face to face, basically touching eachother. NOTHING else. Anyway it was just an idea, wud stop suicide kills but I guess from the soldiers pov they may not be a bad thing.

Turrets appear to be 360 to me, I've approach them from behind and got shot, it maybe only when they are attacked, but still they shouldn't be able to turn outside of their outlined 180arc that the engineer sees when he builds it. I'll look into it more to see what they're doing exactly.

Hooker

Giving a Pyro more health, higher arc and more depth will make it an unfair killing machine. A skilled Pyro is one of the deadlier classes *cough* me *cough*. A bit more depth to the flame would be ace though.

And I kinda want a secondary skill for every class. Like the Pyro being able to shoot the gas only, waiting to be ignited by gunfire (friendly & hostile) - the gas should dissipate with time though

Turrets already have a 360 degree arc, it just takes time to turn most of the time. And they're quite easy to destroy, even with a Engineer repairing them. (Demoguy!!)

I agree with the scout, the scattergun kills you faster than the HW's minigun.

Toning down the close-range rocket fire from the Soldier will kill rocketjumping. And it's a tactic: 'If I'm going down, I'm taking you with me!".

And I'd love to see more class-combo skills, like the Medic's Ubercharge. How awesome would it be if more classes had some sort of combo they can activate

Hooker I'm saying they shouldn't have 360 degree movement, they should only be able to move in the range as shown to the engineer when they build them.

And forget that soldier idea, that was bollocks.

As for pyros it just erks me that 1 direct rocket, 1 demoman grenade, point blank scout scatter cannon shot kills u. You're the melee class but you are taken out so easily. Hence the wanting a little bit more health. A little more depth so u actually have a chance against things faster than u and people that spot u whilst a shortish distance away. Wider cone due to it LOOKING like you have a wide cone from your First person pov but in reality it is VERY narrow. The pyro is supposed to be offensive but I find him only to be usuable as defensive. Hell you're told to hide behind corners to burn people, that doesn't sound very offensive to me. I'd argue the scout is a better "melee" type class than the pyro atm.

Hooker

MrPing1000 said:
Hooker I'm saying they shouldn't have 360 degree movement, they should only be able to move in the range as shown to the engineer when they build them.
Oh, misread that.

And they're fine the way they are now IMO. Sometime, you can't place them in the direction you want them to be (on a ledge where you would have to jump to succelfully place it). This way, the turret will always face the wrong direction if it's not able to turn 360 degrees.

Besides, Demo, Soldier, Sniper and Spy eat turrets for breakfast. They're easy to eliminate with good team communication

MrPing1000 said:
As for pyros it just erks me that 1 direct rocket, 1 demoman grenade, point blank scout scatter cannon shot kills u. You're the melee class but you are taken out so easily. Hence the wanting a little bit more health. A little more depth so u actually have a chance against things faster than u and people that spot u whilst a shortish distance away. Wider cone due to it LOOKING like you have a wide cone from your First person pov but in reality it is VERY narrow. The pyro is supposed to be offensive but I find him only to be usuable as defensive. Hell you're told to hide behind corners to burn people, that doesn't sound very offensive to me.
That's what your shotgun's for. Once you learn to switch those effectively you'll get a lot more kills. I had the same problem in the beginning, until I started switching between weapons more often.

(tip, put slot1 on mousewheelup, slot2 on mousewheeldown. (thumb buttons for other slots if you have the option to do so)

firex

Demo is just almost too good in my experience. All the nade spam will probably get nerfed, especially stickies. I played spy for a bit more too, and I gotta say getting backstabs is tough. I mostly go spy just to destroy enemy turrets though. It's kind of hard to fake people out while disguised and still kill someone though, unless the other team is just dumb.

Clearing up engy misinformation;

Turrets have a ~120 degree fire arc, HOWEVER they can and will turn 360 degrees when they are attacked.

So if you come up on one from behind that isn't going to intercept your movement, you can just ignore it and it will ignore you too. If this was ET:QW you'd be able to 'spot it' as an objective for your team mates, but TF2 isn't about that level of depth ;)

You CAN place them on awkward to reach ledges AND still have them aiming in the direction you want them to face - right clicking while in 'deploy mode' lets you rotate your SG 90 degrees left or right, so you can get them pressed right up against walls without having to get 'behind' them to do so. It's not quite as versatile as being able to rotate a deployment after placing as you could in TFC, but its better than only being able to place in the direction you're facing in.

You can also do this with dispensers, so you can get a dispenser right on the front lines but without it blocking team movement through chokepoints.

Also, while an SG is being sapped, it cannot fire, so if you're a spy trying to take out an engy SG + dispenser emplacement, your best bet is to drop a sapper on the SG, THEN kill the engy, then finish off the rest of the emplacement.

Quellex said:
IcyDeath hooked up a Server

PW:neogaf2k7
Sick deal. I probably won't be on this weekend as I really, really need to finish Bioshock. After that, I will split my time between that server and Halo 3.

After yesterdays questions, I decided to grab the pre-order. Put about three hours into it.

Tons of fun. The game runs so damn fast and smooth, yet looks so vivid and polished. Very impressed both visually and with the gameplay pacing and map design so far.

I'll likely still get Quake Wars, too, since I really dig what that game does, but I'm super satisfied by TF2 so far. Crysis later this year will throw in an interesting third corner. I downloaded its beta last night, too, and in a sort of Battlefield way it's a tonne of fun. Perhaps more like Joint Operations, actually, because of the better sense of stalking and cover for sniping and that vehicles feel much weaker because infantry are so bad ass.

I would of killed for one of these FPS for the first half of this year.

As said before, new server IP. Update your favorites.

****************************ALSO*************************

If you enjoy the server and would like others (I believe IcyDeath has expressed interest in setting up a euro server, CSS, etc.): Donate to him.

http://zme.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/my-pay-page/P1IOESFLEUW84K/107-4801035-5890964

Doesn't need your whole paycheck, but if you do enjoy the server, a couple bucks won't hurt. You cheap bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom