• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, Myself and two friends went on a briefcase capture run on 2fort. I was a medic, and they were both heavies. I think together, the three of us killed every single person on the opposing team at least once in our 4 minute long briefcase run.

artist

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
Everytime I try to play as a spy, it seems like someone on the other team spots me with the same name as them.
The best 'cover' as a spy is the Engineer, the rest of them shoot some thing continously .. Also try running out backwards from your base, that'll make the opposing team think you really belong on their team .. :D

PeteJ

Do you think servers will turn on friendly fire any time soon? Doesn't seem right without it.

Because there is no worry of killing your team (and losing points), people are going mad with demomen and heavys etc etc, I't be a much better game with FF - people may actually think more about what they are doing!

Too many people are afraid of dieing, the battles on 2Fort for example seem to be happening right in the front door rather than the briefcase area, because rarely people are making a move inside. In actual fact I don't think I've seen any real defence in the flag room!

So...FF on, Scout tuned down, Engineer's shotgun tuned down...and I'm happy :D

1-D_FTW

PeteJ said:
Do you think servers will turn on friendly fire any time soon? Doesn't seem right without it.

Because there is no worry of killing your team (and losing points), people are going mad with demomen and heavys etc etc, I't be a much better game with FF - people may actually think more about what they are doing!

Too many people are afraid of dieing, the battles on 2Fort for example seem to be happening right in the front door rather than the briefcase area, because rarely people are making a move inside. In actual fact I don't think I've seen any real defence in the flag room!

So...FF on, Scout tuned down, Engineer's shotgun tuned down...and I'm happy :D

I always defend that room. Cause whenever I don't, my team gives it up like a bunch of cheap hookers.

And the engineer's shotgun sucks. If you tone it down anymore, you mine as well just take it away and give him just the two weapons.

PeteJ said:
What? No. I hate FF >_< This isn't a realistic game or anything, so it shouldn't matter who you shoot up. It makes playing frustrating because some jerk will be TKing their whole team or in big battles you're afraid to shoot, just so you don't kill you team.

Anyway, I'll be on around 5pm CST ready to play :)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
PeteJ said:
Unless someone's base is totally overrun, isn't that usually the case? If the fight's been taken all the way to the cap point, you're in pretty bad shape.

As far as FF goes, there's really no place for it in TF2.

I'll probably be on at around midnight est tonight if anyones still up for a game.

Jenga

Banned
irfan said:
The best 'cover' as a spy is the Engineer, the rest of them shoot some thing continously .. Also try running out backwards from your base, that'll make the opposing team think you really belong on their team .. :D
Actually, it all depends. Most engineers camp in near spawn. So if you're disguised as an engineer and go near the enemy spawn, it's likely the exact engineer who's name you've stolen will spot you. Not to mention, most engineers are VERY paranoid. So no, I'd say maybe Pyro or Demoman would be the best disguise for spies. Pyro's main weapon is short-range so you have an excuse for not firing if you're teammates attacks the enemy team while you're lurking around their defense line.

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah, good Engineers constantly shoot anyone that gets near them, with dispensers up, they don't care about ammo

Demo or Pyro works ok, though I'll usually switch it up, if they find you once as a class, they'll keep shooting that class from then on

Generally I only go spy to either take out some sentries that can't be taken out more easily another way (generally soldier/demo with a medic can do so easily, or to take out a few key defenders to break a stalemate

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I've found Medic and Eng work the best as disguises, more people are starting to just melee anyone that they come across now anyway.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Had a great game on hydro last night with BizaroMan and PillowKnight among others. Played as Soldier. Made a few caps and then it crashed and I got no credit for my kills. :(

The NeoGAF server is lonely...

lonely.jpg

yall come!

******************THERE IS NOW A NEOGAF TF2 SERVER*****************

IcyDeath has kindly setup a dedicated named NeoGAF - Official NeoGAF 24 Man TF2 24/7 BELIEVE.

IP is 66.55.131.183:27015
Password is: neogaf2k7 unless he removes the password in which case it should be just public.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Should probably just be re-posted on every page like they do in the Resistance thread. Awesome that there's a GAF server, motivates me to play the game.

1-D_FTW

omgimaninja said:

IcyDeath has kindly setup a dedicated named NeoGAF - Official NeoGAF 24 Man TF2 24/7 BELIEVE.

Password is: neogaf2k7 unless he removes the password in which case it should be just public.

I sat in there for like 10 minutes and no one joined. People should put it in their favorites. Kinda sad to see 50 gaffers playing and are lonely server just sitting there.

theultimo

MrCompletely said:
If I change a graphics setting while I'm playing, the game will crash. If I leave the graphics settings alone while the game is active, it works fine.
Turn off AA, its buggy when not at 1280x960. It crashes a lot with it on for me (7.9 cats x 2900xt)

ggnoobIGN

Banned
omgimaninja said:

They should take off the password IMO. If need be, reserve some private time for us gaffers on weekday nights.

How's the stat tracking of the game? I see the addition to the original post... That's your user stats window, correct? How about the stat comparison that the write-up mentions; are there stat ladders (just relative instead of 'top' as the write-up describes)?

I'm still unsure if I should pre-order TF2. I mostly play MMOs but I like having one FPS to play casually on the side, and I'm still torn between TF2 and QW. Being such a MMO player, I find stat tracking a lot of fun and I like QW's system a fair bit so far. Thus the further curiosity about TF2's.

By the way, is Valve adding stat tracking to any other Steam games? Or just more stats to our general IDs? I thought I recall brief mention of it somewhere.

KTallguy

Banned
KyanMehwulfe said:
How's the stat tracking of the game? I see the addition to the original post... That's your user stats window, correct? How about the stat comparison that the write-up mentions; are there stat ladders (just relative instead of 'top' as the write-up describes)?

I'm still unsure if I should pre-order TF2. I mostly play MMOs but I like having one FPS to play casually on the side, and I'm still torn between TF2 and QW. Being such a MMO player, I find stat tracking a lot of fun and I like QW's system a fair bit so far. Thus the further curiosity about TF2's.

By the way, is Valve adding stat tracking to any other Steam games? Or just more stats to our general IDs? I thought I recall brief mention of it somewhere.

TF2 has great stat tracking, and updates you every time you die about how long you lasted, if it's your best or not, etc.

I'd buy it over QW in a heartbeat :)

Daigoro

is the jittery graphics thing fixed?

anyone still experiencing this? (looks like some peope on the steam forums are, and some arent)

Daigoro said:
is the jittery graphics thing fixed?

anyone still experiencing this? (looks like some peope on the steam forums are, and some arent)

Describe specifically what this issue of yours is. I've had jitters where I was just running and everything else around me was shaking throughout the game. I solved that problem by going to another server and never had the problem since. I also get graphical jitters in the beginning of the first game since an hour before (for example) and that's fixed as i keep on playing. I also get the jitters if I don't play enough, but that has nothing to do with PC hardware.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
NEW UPDATE!

September 21, 2007 - Current Release

Changes/Additions

-Optimized sound system

Bug fixes

-Removed background map due to incompatibilities
-Fixed a Direct3d device restore problem causing crash and/or black screen
-Fixed Windows Vista crash bug
-Fixed achievement manager crash
-Fixed occasional sniper zoom crash

Hooker

Was a fun game. Shame the ping from Europe is bad (100+) - could only play passive classes properly (engineer), great fun nonetheless

1-D_FTW

What kind of server shutdown was that?

Anyone knows what's going on?

It said server disconnected?

I log out, download an update. Try to log back in since there 5 players there. And it say map name doesn't match, I can't play.

Daigoro

ThaiGrocer said:
Describe specifically what this issue of yours is. I've had jitters where I was just running and everything else around me was shaking throughout the game. I solved that problem by going to another server and never had the problem since. I also get graphical jitters in the beginning of the first game since an hour before (for example) and that's fixed as i keep on playing. I also get the jitters if I don't play enough, but that has nothing to do with PC hardware.

hm kind of hard to explain.

graphically things were just not kosher last night when i played. almost like i had really poor fps (except my fps was mostly fine, from 60-100+), things just appeared shaky and hard to focus on.

i thought this post that Tre posted was reffreing to the same probelm:

Teknopathetic said:
This latest patch has caused a problem with the windows Dedicated server apparently, causing nasty jittering.

1-D_FTW

Good game, guys. I'm out (StalkerU.) I didn't dominate the scoreboard, but I held my own playing Pryo most of the matches.

EDIT: I would have did better, but I couple of the control points I just ran in circles trying to find.

Rur0ni

My team just got creamed like 3 times in a row. Upsetting. Everytime the other team advanced, they could always break though, but when we attack, we get held at a single point till time expiration. Shame on GAF.

I was in that game, on the other team, haha. Demoman's shine on that map while defending as every control point can be accessed by choke points.

When on offense, I'm best with soldier, ruining engineer's hardwork by destroying turrets, and dispensers. Very fun games we had though, lot's of great teamwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom