• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thing that annoy me about the bots:

Perfect aim (snipers), odd awareness, sometimes they will snap to you, sometimes ignore a sentry shooting them

Pretty interesting playing with them though.

Twig

Banned
Scipius said:
Running TF2 in DirectX 8 mode would be pretty desparate...
O:

I am embarrassed to say this never occurred to me.
Though I think we all know what the proper answer to your question is.
Play on my desktop?

i have no idea what you're getting at here

Twig

Banned
I hope this doesn't mean random servers will start filling up with bots when there aren't enough human players.

I hate that about Day of Defeat. |:

EDIT: er, oops, double post D:

Scipius

TheOneGuy said:
Play on my desktop?

i have no idea what you're getting at here

I didn't know you also had a desktop available; what I meant was that you'll probably need to upgrade your hardware. Maybe adding more RAM will help, but a new laptop alltogether is likely best. How old is that laptop?

TF2 is still actively developed; unlike games like CS, where support exists, but no real new development, TF2's system requirements are slowly increasing as you've found out. One more reason why I doubt we'll ever see all updates ported to the console versions.

Twig

Banned
Scipius said:
I didn't know you also had a desktop available; what I meant was that you'll probably need to upgrade your hardware. Maybe adding more RAM will help, but a new laptop alltogether is likely best. How old is that laptop?

TF2 is still actively developed; unlike games like CS, where support exists, but no real new development, TF2's system requirements are slowly increasing as you've found out. One more reason why I doubt we'll ever see all updates ported to the console versions.
Oh, yeah, I understand all that.

I'm just kind of annoyed that I went from being able to run it almost perfectly to suffering at the lowest settings possible.

!

's all good, though. I very rarely play on my laptop. My desktop can handle max settings no problemo. (Or it should be able to.)

Scipius

TheOneGuy said:
I'm just kind of annoyed that I went from being able to run it almost perfectly to suffering at the lowest settings possible.

Well, it also means that TF2 is still far removed from its eventual stagnation. Two years on and we still have not seen the complete game.

Twig

Banned
Scipius said:
Well, it also means that TF2 is still far removed from its eventual stagnation. Two years on and we still have not seen the complete game.
I'm not complaining by any means.

Trust me, I'm a huge fan of TF2. It is my favorite multiplayer game, well, ever. (Sorry L4D.)

Blizzard

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
I hope this doesn't mean random servers will start filling up with bots when there aren't enough human players.

I hate that about Day of Defeat. |:

EDIT: er, oops, double post D:
Yeah, I'm hoping that too. I always hated joining ET games, trying to talk to players, and then realizing they were bots. I think I've also mentioned how annoying it is to join a 32/33 player server only to realize there are actually only 4 players on it and the server was lying. :lol

Oreoleo

1-D_FTW said:
What time was that at? I quit playing at 11 PM EST and it was still borked. I know it wasn't just me, because every time someone hit milestone 2, they'd ask why they weren't getting their unlock.

I'm one achievement short of unlocking tier 3 (should have that too if all achievements were working) and I'm still only at tier 1. Just logged onto a couple servers and nothing. So either you're one of the lucky ones not experiencing this issue, or there was a window where they were working properly.

Uhm, it was somewhere between 3am and 5am, when a lot of the free weekenders were fast asleep.

1-D_FTW

Maybe I'll try that. I've tried a number of times today and nothing. I'll just quickly log into a game if I wake up in the middle of the night.

Finally got an achievement that wasn't broken and unlocked 17. Got my flag, but it didn't unlock the rocket launcher:(

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
1-D_FTW said:
Finally got an achievement that wasn't broken and unlocked 17. Got my flag, but it didn't unlock the rocket launcher:(

Same exact thing happened to me.

Blizzard

Banned
DrForester said:
So I got my 2nd demoman milestone and didn't get a 2nd weapon.
Yeah, I got the flag after 17 achievements (AFTER I DIED), but I don't know that Valve actually SAID anywhere that people would get weapons from the milestones. It just seems likely, and happens sometimes, but not in the same way that the earlier weapon milestone unlocks worked. And like I said, I'm still curious if it's at all weighted, since I play almost exclusively soldier, no demo since the update, and I haven't gotten ANYTHING demo except maybe a class token.

1-D_FTW

Come on. You know better than that. What's the point of a milestone if it doesn't give you something? Achievement filler? Not even achievement whores would be satisfied about getting achievements for doing nothing.

I think all of Valve's clucterfuck problems would have been avoided if they'd just released achievements for character unlocks 3 days before the updates went live. Then people would have slammed the servers to get their shit unlocked and again when the update was released and their toys unlocked. All the bitching and glitches probably would have been eliminated.

EDIT: Lots of achievements are tied to new unlocks, but I got 17 for soldier without the new weapons (Maybe two tied to it, but more than two non-updates achievements are glitched. Evens out.)

I just like to vent, because outside of Java, I've probably logged as many hours as most of the other heavy gaf players and I get glitched negatively every single method.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So if I'm understanding crafting correctly, there no way to craft hats for Engineer until they get their update? Or is there a way to get an engi token that I'm not seeing?

Twig

Banned
DrForester said:
So if I'm understanding crafting correctly, there no way to craft hats for Engineer until they get their update? Or is there a way to get an engi token that I'm not seeing?
There is no way, you are correct.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
DrForester said:

I think you can craft a random hat, and you 'might' get an engie hat. Doesn't really answer your question, I know, but it is possible.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
TheOneGuy said:
Are you sure you can get one as a random drop?

How else would anybody get them before? :p

I've gotten the Engie glove (for pyro) pro hat (for sniper) football helmet (for heavy)
along with the halo and bill's hat (which is also supposedly a random drop)

I realize this is the PC thread, but seeing as I can't find any other thread for TF2 I'll just ask this here. Does anyone still play TF2 on Xbox Live? I'm thinking about picking up the Orange Box again..

Proven

TheOneGuy said:
It shows you what other people get from crafting.

I'm not so sure anymore, after last night. I was getting the "No drops for you!" bug since the update started, so I decided to reinstall TF2, afterward, I finally got a drop really quick.

It was Scrap Metal.

Twig

Banned
Proven said:
I'm not so sure anymore, after last night. I was getting the "No drops for you!" bug since the update started, so I decided to reinstall TF2, afterward, I finally got a drop really quick.

It was Scrap Metal.
Well I know for sure it definitely shows you what other people craft.

But I never said you couldn't get that stuff from a drop!

(I'm still hesitant to say it was anything more than a bug, though.)

fresquito

So how often do you get drops? I'm getting them once each five hours of playtime or so. Since the hats update I've gotten only one hat. I'm playing demo and I see all this people with their swords and shields and Soldiers with all their stuff and I've only gotten one damn Dragon since the update hit.

What's up? How does people get all these items?

VaLiancY

sw33tclyde said:
I realize this is the PC thread, but seeing as I can't find any other thread for TF2 I'll just ask this here. Does anyone still play TF2 on Xbox Live? I'm thinking about picking up the Orange Box again..

I say wait for the big content update Valve said they're going to do before picking up the Orange Box but if you don't want to wait - go ahead. I'm sure you can find a good handful of people on GAF who play it on the Gaming Discussion.

Proven

fresquito said:
So how often do you get drops? I'm getting them once each five hours of playtime or so. Since the hats update I've gotten only one hat. I'm playing demo and I see all this people with their swords and shields and Soldiers with all their stuff and I've only gotten one damn Dragon since the update hit.

What's up? How does people get all these items?

There are still people playing. I pop on from time to time. Although at this point everyone is either very very good or very very bad.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Volodja said:
I've just been banned for speedhack from a server just because the admin didn't know that the Eyelander gives a speed bonus =|

That's pathetic, but not that uncommon. That's probably the main reason most people are banned, ignorance.

Volodja

Iadien said:
That's pathetic, but not that uncommon. That's probably the main reason most people are banned, ignorance.
I'd say whiners are more common. You go in a server, eat the enemy team composed of friends of the admin and you find yourself banned with a random accusation. Happened to me...today again...great day on tf2 for me indeed, first two bans I've haver taken and one after the other, especially nice because the reason for this one was wallhack when I was basically only killing people with the sword and occasional pipe in the face in open field. Ridicolous.
At least the first dude unbanned me when I told him that I was just using the new weapon, but with the second guy I'm not even gonna bother, wouldn't want to play in that server again after all.
Still, it irks me to no end.

Big-E

Hey does anyone know if you if you can get the ghastly gibus hat still? I got the achievement for dominating someone wearing it but I got no hat : (

Big-E said:
Hey does anyone know if you if you can get the ghastly gibus hat still? I got the achievement for dominating someone wearing it but I got no hat : (
You can, I've seen people getting the hat after the event. The item servers are borked at the moment and only work periodically, so you'll get it eventually.

VaLiancY

Big-E said:

You'll get it soon and the Camera Beard so your spy can look like Abe Lincoln.

Proven

I know I must be missing something; why is everyone getting camera bears? Even I found one (my first random hat, and it's not even a hat, and for a class I despise, dammit!)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Proven said:
I know I must be missing something; why is everyone getting camera bears? Even I found one (my first random hat, and it's not even a hat, and for a class I despise, dammit!)
It probably has to do with the fact that they changed it from being a hat to a miscellaneous item, so the chances of getting it are better now.

Javaman

Tested out the bots a bit. Spy vs 10 engineers was a cakewalk. They don't spy check at all, even after I added a couple of pyros.

Next I went engineer vs 15 scouts but got slaughtered since they all ran in at once. I kicked them then added them in 2 at a time every 10 seconds but they wised up and started switching classes (or maybe class select is just random).

The teamfortress.com blog is wrong, you have to type "tf_bot_kick all" to get rid of them the easy way.

You also need to mess with auto teambalance and max players per team in order to get them to join the correct team.

Fun stuff to mess around with. I wonder how the AI does as medic and spy? They seem to at least build stuff in useful spots.

w8m9ax.jpg

Next was a 7vs7 eng. They built and just camped their sentries and neither team went for the point. I kicked a couple of engineers and added generic players and they kept cycling through the different classes. I was impressed that the medic followed me and ubered me right as I headed into the sentry pile. While perched and disguised on the rock an enemy soldier decided to spy check me. After loosing him I hounded a heavy for a bit but I couldn't get to his back side since he stayed locked on me, eventually firing and killing me.

Here's hoping I'll finally get my bugle:

Update Update
December 21, 2009 - TF2 Team

We've got one more update to go out to our backend item system. After that, we'll be granting all the missing items that weren't granted properly when you finished achievements.
"Accidentally" earned my last Soldier milestone when the loadout servers were down, so I didn't receive the Buff Banner. Bummed me out, since I was eagerly anticipating it.

Darkflight said:
Blog post about bots:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3279

Also, if you read this MicVlad, stop cutting off my damn head. :lol
Request denied.

Ramenman

Weepeee, milestone 2 finally, I have the eyelander. I play my very first round with eyelander. Die shortly after.

Random drop : the Eyelander.

LOL VALVE.

borsdy

Banned
Ramenman said:
Weepeee, milestone 2 finally, I have the eyelander. I play my very first round with eyelander. Die shortly after.

Random drop : the Eyelander.

LOL VALVE.
Same thing happened when I got the Direct Hit.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wish I saw more of you Gaffers on the F7 servers.

If any of you are just starting out or want to learn quickly, I think they're still the best.

The other night, me and Java were wreaking havoc! Java joined on the last point for Cashworks and played Crit Medic, and I was heavy. And we held off those SOBs.

So weird how just one player can drastically change the momentum of the game.

There's this other dude, he's usually spyfun2 or some shit and also on the F7 servers. I freakin HATE playing against this guy. Same deal. We were on Steel and getting killed. He joins on the 2nd last point and we turn it around.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I had a ping of 130 and got a "too high" warning when I joined the other day, I'm gonna stick to getting killed by MicVlad on the PC Gamer UK server :lol

Twig

Banned
130 shouldn't be too high. I've had worse and not been kicked.
Kuro Madoushi said:

If any of you are just starting out or want to learn quickly, I think they're still the best.

The other night, me and Java were wreaking havoc! Java joined on the last point for Cashworks and played Crit Medic, and I was heavy. And we held off those SOBs.

So weird how just one player can drastically change the momentum of the game.

There's this other dude, he's usually spyfun2 or some shit and also on the F7 servers. I freakin HATE playing against this guy. Same deal. We were on Steel and getting killed. He joins on the 2nd last point and we turn it around.
Or the time I medic-capped the intel on Haarp. Twice.

GO GO BLUE TEAM.

But you weren't there for that I don't think, only Java was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom