• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Won

Reduced the number of moons in ctf_doublecross, sadly

Wait! No! Why? Aaaahhhh!

Kulock said:
I'm not clear on this, does this mean that a DR spy can now only recharge 35% of his cloak bar while cloaked total, or is this per ammo box cloaked and uncloaked both?

Sounds like they are talking about how much the ammo boxes give back. So even a big box only gives 35% back.

Javaman

Cross your eyes till you see a 3rd sentry and hold it till your eyes come into focus.

16iyxbr.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Since I play Engie a lot, I freakin hate the DR...especially when your team doesn't care about defending and then bitch when you don't have your stuff up.

"Well...I WOULD if any of you bothered to defend mah shit!" >:/

I remember one time chasing spyfun2 around pipeline, and even though I set him on fire, I couldn't kill him because he made beelines for metal and health, which prevented me from doing any damage. This way, I would've squashed that cockroach earlier!

Quiet de-clock sound is ok if it means they can't just run around and grab metal to fill your clock back up.

roMonster

Kuro Madoushi said:
Since I play Engie a lot, I freakin hate the DR...especially when your team doesn't care about defending and then bitch when you don't have your stuff up.

"Well...I WOULD if any of you bothered to defend mah shit!" >:/

I remember one time chasing spyfun2 around pipeline, and even though I set him on fire, I couldn't kill him because he made beelines for metal and health, which prevented me from doing any damage. This way, I would've squashed that cockroach earlier!

Quiet de-clock sound is ok if it means they can't just run around and grab metal to fill your clock back up.

If you compression blast the dr spy--you can bounce him until his cloak wears off (and the rage it creates is hilarious). Or if you're chasing him on fire, the axetingisher will break the cloak (and kill the spy).

Though I still think it shouldn't a spy checker up to 7 seconds to kill a dr spy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
roMonster said:
If you compression blast the dr spy--you can bounce him until his cloak wears off (and the rage it creates is hilarious). Or if you're chasing him on fire, the axetingisher will break the cloak (and kill the spy).

Though I still think it shouldn't a spy checker up to 7 seconds to kill a dr spy.

Heh...tell that to my non-existant spy-checkers...

And depending on the map and location, you'll just blow the spy away and let him recover before he can rush in again. However, I've never seen someone use the axtinguisher on a DR spy...might try it myself if I get the chance.

Kulock said:
It's really hard to deny at this point that the Scout update was the biggest clusterfuck of all the updates so far. :lol They're still tweaking the weapons in significant ways. And they still haven't touched Bonk yet.

I'd argue that except for extremely rare occassions the scout unlocks are pretty much useless.

I'd scrap and start again tbh. I've suggest this before but remove health pen from sandman and make aluminum bat have the same crit behaviour as engineer wrench, then make bonk last longer and allow alu bat usuage from third person.

Dunno what I'd do to the force of nature, it is crap.

Blizzard

Banned
Kulock said:
You just linked to somewhere where the same guy above had made the suggestion to make the aluminum bat have the same crit behavior as the engineer's wrench. What do you mean it already does? I didn't see any special notes about the aluminum bat there.

And I'm assuming he's suggesting that the bat would do crits during bonk more often depending on how much damage the scout has taken that life during bonk. It sounds useful but I suspect people would complain that it's annoying or overpowered. People already complain that one (or both?) scout weapons are overpowered, somehow...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
You just linked to somewhere where the same guy above had made the suggestion to make the aluminum bat have the same crit behavior as the engineer's wrench. What do you mean it already does? I didn't see any special notes about the aluminum bat there.

And I'm assuming he's suggesting that the bat would do crits during bonk more often depending on how much damage the scout has taken that life during bonk. It sounds useful but I suspect people would complain that it's annoying or overpowered. People already complain that one (or both?) scout weapons are overpowered, somehow...
I think it is a much simpler:

Player contributes ___ damage and crit goes up __%

Same principle

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
I think it is a much simpler:

Player contributes ___ damage and crit goes up __%

Same principle
But are you saying that happens now? I guess I thought the only generally applied rule now was that people who had more points and were higher on the scoreboard got more crits (thus giving them more ports and cementing their place on the scoreboard even further, in some horrible experiment in bourgeoise intelligentsia capitalism gone wrong). D:

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
But are you saying that happens now? I guess I thought the only generally applied rule now was that people who had more points and were higher on the scoreboard got more crits (thus giving them more ports and cementing their place on the scoreboard even further, in some horrible experiment in bourgeoise intelligentsia capitalism gone wrong). D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG0oc0w0SYY

Crit chance is decided on how much damage you have done in the past 20 seconds.

Twig

Banned
Yeah, it's been that way since the game released, AFAIK. It's never been based on your overall score, just your current performance level.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
Thanks for the info. So would that mean the engineer critwrench is actually no different than anyone else, or it's the result of the damage throughout the sentry's lifetime? I should just look this stuff up instead of asking dumb questions. :(
Different weapons still have different base crit chances.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nice video.
Doing that kind of stuff is why I switched to playing Pyro a lot more.
Ton of survivability.

Which is now why I play sword demo.
No damage falloff from pipes is so awesome.

Some .gifs from that video. Click for bigger.

And one from Second Taunt Kills Video

Blizzard

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Different weapons still have different base crit chances.
From earlier in the thread,
Kulock said:
All of the melee weapons normally have the same crit chance, Valve said, barring special exceptions (KGB, Eyelander, Equalizer, for a while the Sandman) and the spy knife's normal swing. It may be their sentry kills that net Engineers the extra crit chance, but it's supposedly not the wrenches.
So I guess non-melee could have different crit chances? XD

Anyway, that video makes me happy. And it really makes me want to get a new mouse with working buttons. The idea of rocketjumping with reflected rockets never even occurred to me. O____O

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
From earlier in the thread,

So I guess non-melee could have different crit chances? XD

Anyway, that video makes me happy. And it really makes me want to get a new mouse with working buttons. The idea of rocketjumping with reflected rockets never even occurred to me. O____O
There is another video with multiple rocket jumps, might be Flareblasting.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ZombieSupaStar said:

jesus...fucking...christ! I watched a couple of those videos

Does that invisible spy taunt kill still work? that would be HELL on me as an engie...

I wonder what server this guy plays on, I'd like to watch him and see if I could learn anything. He seems pretty fearless reflecting arrows, and one of the videos had him reflect a sniper shot (kinda lucky that one tho).

If anything, this just shows me how powerful taunt kills can be.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Love the Pubbing with Pyro vid. Shows how versatile the Pyro really is when played in the right hands, and a reason why it'll always be one of my fave classes.

Hazaro said:
Just noticed TF2Tactics is back to posting more videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/christianmalazarte#g/u

Some nice testing with new DR and lots of fun trivia and play tips for all players.

e.g. Cart max speed is 3x, fire arrows and normal arrow do same damage, and lots of other stuff.
Can't comprehend why he's bothering with voice commentary now. It's annoying when he's repeating the same lines that are already displayed on the bloody screen word by word.

Volcynika

Update

Additions

Various improvements to Spy disguise and feign death

Disguise weapons copying weapons with special animation requirements (Sword, FaN) now look correct

Spies now play the appropriate death cry on feign death based on the corpse that appears

Feigning death can now play custom death animations like a normal death (head loss, sniper shot, backstab, etc)

Feigning death due to explosive damage now has a chance to gib, like a normal death

Corpses from a feign death now use the correct wearable behavior (hats stay on, or fall off as they should)

The weapons dropped by feign death corpses now have appropriate physics and collision for their type

Combat text for damage done to Spies that feign death will now show the un-modified damage amount

Fixed Spies that feign death while disguised as enemy spies dropping fake ragdolls wearing a mask

Fixed a couple of physics issues on ragdolls created by feign death

Added convars to further customize the "play a hit sound whenever you injure an enemy" option

tf_dingaling_volume". Sets the volume of the hit sound

tf_dingaling_pitchmindmg". Sets the desired pitch of the hit sound when a minor damage hit is done

tf_dingaling_pitchmaxdmg". Sets the desired pitch of the hit sound when a major damage hit is done

tf_dingaling_wav_override". Specifies an optional custom wav hit sound. If unspecified, the default ding sound is used

Added Medic Ubersaw kill taunt

Added backstab death animations for Scout, Spy, Medic, Demo, Engineer, and Pyro. All death animations have a 25% chance to play

Updated various localization strings

Changes

Removed the clamps on the "viewmodel_fov" convar

Added "viewmodel_fov_demo", a convar that controls viewmodel fov during demo playback

Force-a-Nature will now correctly knock back players on the ground

Increased minimum damage required for the Force-a-Nature to cause a knockback from 30 to 40

Changed the Direct Hit to only minicrit enemies that have been launched into the air by an explosion

Increased the rate of the Soldier's Rage generation by 40%

Reduced the duration of the Soldier's Buff Banner effect from 14 seconds to 10

Reduced the explosive damage resistance on the Chargin' Targe to 50%

Fixes

Fixed the Scout's legs twisting out of shape during a double jump

Fixed player models popping up and then down when they duck during a jump

Fixed Sniper rifle not penetrating friendlies

Fixed Bonk! Atomic Punch phase effect

Fixed rockets not being removed if they explode in func_nogrenades zones

Fixed the Sandman being able to bat balls through doors

Fixed the Gunboats absorbing damage from the Soldier's grenade kill taunt

Fixed the naming of non-unique quality unique items (Community Kritzkriegs, etc)

Minor fixes to the crafting UI

Changed the item layout in the crafting panel to better fit the backpack panel

Each 1 of the 4 crafting pages now shows half of 1 of the 2 backpack pages

Fixed the crafting panel next/prev page buttons being hard to use while dragging

Fixed the "equipped" label in the item panels stealing the mouse focus from the item panel itself

Updated Novint Falcon settings (no effect on non-Falcon players)

Recoil/Reload force added for the Direct Hit rocket launcher

Recoil/Reload force added for the Scottish Resistance sticky bomb launcher

More defined flesh hit force added for the Equalizer pick axe

More defined flesh hit/world hit force added for the Eyelander sword

Added swing forces for Eyelander sword

Added appropriate trumpet forces for Blu Buff Banner

Added appropriate trumpet forces for Red Buff Banner

Shotgun reload for Heavy & Pyro changed to feel more appropriate now

Changed Huntsman pullback force so that it goes in the right direction (was still pulling as if the Huntsman was on the left hand side of the screen, which was default until a later update)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

Yay!

Nay!

Blizzard

Banned
Yay, I'm happy they added options for the hit sounds. I might turn them back on. They weren't too bad except when I played pyro before, and then the DINGDINGDINGDING was so loud even at low volume that it was practically painful. :lol

Yay for the medic tauntkill! I was just thinking last night, and if I wasn't forgetting something, it was the only upgraded class that didn't have a tauntkill. I'll have to try it and see how it works.

I thought some of those dead ringer animation etc. things already happened, but yay for improvements! (except when people use them against me)

Yay for the increased buff banner charge rate! 10 second duration eh, but if people are smart and push, it should still help.

...another kind of nerf for the force-a-nature? Seriously, Valve. :/ At least they kind of buffed/fixed it for people on the ground apparently?

Sadness for no more minicrits on crazy jumping enemies. They can have no fear now.

Yay for demo explosive resistance getting nerfed I guess, but I'm sad because I -still- don't have that item. I should just play demo to get it though. I don't have the gunboats either despite trying to craft them once already and getting a dupe buff banner.

Boo/yay at the sandman ball fix FINALLY! Boo/yay at being able to use teammates as human sniper shields!

...what is a Community Kritzkrieg?

Dead Ringer did not need some of those improvements. I liked that you could tell something was "wrong" with the fake deaths at least, it fit the nature of the weapon.

The Direct Hit nerf is a shame too. I liked that it punished bunny-hopping.

Edit: The contribution aspect is neat, a direct appeal to the skinning and modding community.

Won

Thank god!

Suuuuuuure, Valve. I believe you!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Blizzard said:
...what is a Community Kritzkrieg?

A Kritzkrieg for people, who are more awesome than we are. Yeah, they exist!

TheOneGuy said:
http://www.teamfortress.com/contribute/

This happens and all you guys can talk about is some ruddy boring tweak-and-fix-update?

what the fuck is wrong with you people

o_O

Blizzard

Banned
I just now noticed the community updates. That would be nice, if items dropped more than once or twice per 2-4 hours of playtime. :lol

Hmm.. how about some Sam Fisher-esque Night Vision Goggles for the Spy (just for show, of course)? It might be out of place in TF2 which is part of the rules for this, but if you stylize them enough you could probably fit them in with the sort of style TF2 is going for. I have no idea how to use Maya or 3ds Max but it'd be cool to see it in the game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Boo. Like DR Spies need any help.

Increased minimum damage required for the Force-a-Nature to cause a knockback from 30 to 40
More nerf! Scout does not need nerfs right now.

Changed the Direct Hit to only minicrit enemies that have been launched into the air by an explosion
Oh this is terrible. Should be changed back. It is SO fantastic, plus you are hitting them in air unless they insta jump into you STRAIGHT. Which makes them stupid anyway.
I had an awesome spree yesterday of me wrecking with amazing shots on Gravel Pit.

Good. +40% Seems ridiculous especially considering that if you kill when you have it on you gain more time.

Terrible. TERRIBLE.

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
Boo. Like DR Spies need any help.

More nerf! Scout does not need nerfs right now.

Oh this is terrible. Should be changed back. It is SO fantastic, plus you are hitting them in air unless they insta jump into you STRAIGHT. Which makes them stupid anyway.
I had an awesome spree yesterday of me wrecking with amazing shots on Gravel Pit.

Good. +40% Seems ridiculous especially considering that if you kill when you have it on you gain more time.

Terrible. TERRIBLE.
Your tastes seem weird. o_O

Also, I only managed to hit one enemy (demoman) with the medic tauntkill, but it didn't even seem to kill. Maybe it's the same as the sniper taunt attack where you have to be close enough or something to get the full damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TB1xRumqD8

I just realized this takes away the awesome "electric" sounding violin you got from the Ubersaw, versus the more natural-sounding one from the Bonesaw. It's not like the Medic absolutely needed a kill taunt.

I still would've preferred the Bone and Ubersaws to be minor AoE heals with different effects. If he needed a kill taunt, he could jam his Kritz gun into the enemy and overload them, causing them to explode into gibs.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Blizzard said:
Your tastes seem weird. o_O

Also, I only managed to hit one enemy (demoman) with the medic tauntkill, but it didn't even seem to kill. Maybe it's the same as the sniper taunt attack where you have to be close enough or something to get the full damage.
I enjoyed many things they took away in that update.
And you even agree with 80% of my points.

The sniper taunt kill kills only when the arrow is in the 'removing' animation.

Boonoo

The DH nerf seems like it should be pretty good; I stuck with the normal rocket launcher, anyway. In the past I've been annoyed by other soldiers getting mini crits on me when I hop for a better angle. Forcing them to make proper air shots is a good move, I think. This works on their own rocket jumps, doesn't it?

I played my first 6v6 scrim tonight (soldier); it was a lot of fun. Completely different game with this number of people. I really need to get horizontal rocket jumping down. I never really took the time to learn it as it wasn't too terribly necessary in 16v16 games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Boonoo said:
The DH nerf seems like it should be pretty good; I stuck with the normal rocket launcher, anyway. In the past I've been annoyed by other soldiers getting mini crits on me when I hop for a better angle. Forcing them to make proper air shots is a good move, I think. This works on their own rocket jumps, doesn't it?

I played my first 6v6 scrim tonight (soldier); it was a lot of fun. Completely different game with this number of people. I really need to get horizontal rocket jumping down. I never really took the time to learn it as it wasn't too terribly necessary in 16v16 games.
Well at close range it does 131 with a minicrit (always). A normal close range shot does around 110 (damage ramp up). So it is not a big deal imo.

Getting someone airborne because of the DH is hard and it only takes 2 rockets to kill anyway so there is no real point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom