• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

Banned
sooo... I'm still a Team Fortress virgin. I brought Orange Box during the steam sale, and I have yet to play it. the thing is, I was wondering if there were bots to practice with offline. or should I just go online and take ass whoopings like a man and learn as I go?

Vlad

ILikeFeet said:
sooo... I'm still a Team Fortress virgin. I brought Orange Box during the steam sale, and I have yet to play it. the thing is, I was wondering if there were bots to practice with offline. or should I just go online and take ass whoopings like a man and learn as I go?

They just introduced bots in one game mode with the most recent update, but from what I've read, they're not that polished yet.

Personally, I recommend the "take ass whoopings like a man" approach. I'd recommend starting out as either a Medic or a Soldier, just to get a feel for the game without having to worry about the more complicated class mechanics (like you would with the Engineer or Spy).

Also, after you've played around a little bit, you might also want to check out the TF2 Wiki.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Vlad said:
They just introduced bots in one game mode with the most recent update, but from what I've read, they're not that polished yet.

Personally, I recommend the "take ass whoopings like a man" approach. I'd recommend starting out as either a Medic or a Soldier, just to get a feel for the game without having to worry about the more complicated class mechanics (like you would with the Engineer or Spy).

Also, after you've played around a little bit, you might also want to check out the TF2 Wiki.

thanks for the reply. I'll probably play later this week

borsdy

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Is there a reason why this game never saves my stats? I've lost a whole bunch of stats from each class, except for the time played.
It sometimes doesn't upload my data properly either and I've read that some people have had this issue as far back as 2007.

Recently it never recorded my three revenges as Demo :( I probably shouldn't have that many nemesis' at once but that moment was awesome and I still remember it!

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
ILikeFeet said:
Check out the TF2 wiki. They have a lot of great info to check on. Also, start with either the medic, soldier, heavy or pyro and just try to get the feel for the game. Make sure to tweak your cursor and sensitivity to your liking. I stick with 2.380 though I know others use numbers MUCH higher. Like somebody else said, just go out there and play. You'll slowly figure the nuances of the game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ILikeFeet said:
You can create a game (koth_ only) and type 'tf_bot_add' (Then up and enter 14 times)

I'd recommend 8v8 to get a feel.

ydnawel

Neo Member
The stat reset bug is a very common bug for those who have reset their stats. And it doesn't look like Valve is going to fix that anytime soon. If you haven't reset your stats before, and your stats don't save, then I have no idea what's the problem.

You can change your crosshair in the options menu, under multiplayer. There are like seven crosshairs, and you can choose your RGB color and crosshair size.

Ydahs

The 'no-stats-being-recorded' bug occurred with me but was resolved when I completely reinstalled the game. I deleted all files, including the gcf file and did a clean install. After that, it worked like a charm.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
new update:

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2

* Added 3 new hats that can be worn by any class
o Towering Pillar of Hats"
o Noble Amassment of Hats"
o Modest Pile of Hat"

* Added Propaganda contest winners' hats for First Place, First Runner-up, and Second Runner-up
* Added "Edit Loadout" button to the class menu
* Changed the main menu background to randomly use the Red, Blue, and Soldier/Demo background images
* Fixed Snipers being able to shoot enemies through gates
* Fixed Linux servers not properly reconnecting to Steam when they lose their connection
* Fixed stickies being destructible before they're stuck to something
* Fixed the return progress bar above a dropped flag not animating if the return time on the flag is less than 30 seconds
* Fixed the CTF HUD not properly handling flags being disabled/enabled during the round
* Fixed player health panels sometimes using the wrong animations for buffed or low health values
* Updated the net_showevents convar to be marked as a cheat
* Updated the main menu news buttons to direct players to the most recent TF2 update and the TF2 blog
* Updated Italian localization strings
* Updated the custom TF2 fonts with Polish characters
* Updated CP_Gorge
o Added more cover outside of the initial BLU spawn area
o Added a forward spawn for the BLU team after Cap1 is captured
o Added another access point to the upper level from the front of the RED base
o Added more cover in the room just before Cap2
o Decreased RED team's respawn time while they own Cap1
o Fixed a few areas where players would sometimes become stuck

Community requests

* Added new options for the Invade CTF game mode flag. Default is 1
o 0 : No neutral time
o 1 : Flag goes neutral in 30 seconds (current behavior)
o 2 : Flag goes neutral in 1/2 the return time
Added scoring choice for the Invade CTF game mode. Default is 0
o 0 : Increment score (current behavior)
o 1 : Increment capture count
Added new inputs to item_teamflag
o ForceDrop : Force the flag to be dropped if it's being carried by a player
o ForceReset : Force the flag to be dropped if it's being carried by a player, then reset the flag to its original location
o SetReturnTime : Set the length of time (in seconds) before a dropped flag returns to base
* Added new output to item_teamflag
o OnTouchSameTeam : Sent when the flag is touched by a player on the same team

great, more hats that i will never find randomly :(

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
"Fixed stickies being destructible before they're stuck to something"

Good, that was a bug.

Proven

Iadien said:
"Fixed stickies being destructible before they're stuck to something"

Good, that was a bug.

One that I'll miss. Time for Heavies to go back under their rocks when stickies come around.

eai3ie.jpg

:lol

Woo, just got my 3rd hat, the Batter's Helmet.

Was weird that I got it because there was also a Natascha with it. My drops must have been clogged up or something.

desh

GoldandBlue said:
Yeah. I must have gotten two Direct Hits before I got a third one with the Milestone. :lol

But, once you craft a Milestoned weapon, you can only get it back by a random drop, right? I assume there's no way to reset your achievements, so that you could get stuff through milestones, craft it, and then get it again through the milestone.

desh said:
But, once you craft a Milestoned weapon, you can only get it back by a random drop, right? I assume there's no way to reset your achievements, so that you could get stuff through milestones, craft it, and then get it again through the milestone.
Yeah I think you can only get it back by random drop or crafting a new one.

Blizzard

Banned
desh said:
Yeah, you'd have to craft (which is new) or get it randomly. Before the ability to craft regular weapons, I either used or randomly lost my natascha somehow, and it took FOREVER for another one to drop.

desh

I played for like 4 hours last night, and nothing dropped for me. I played for like 20 minutes this morning, and I got the Ambassador. Crazy stuff.

roMonster

After weeks of nothing Ive gotten two hats in the last two days.

Yesterday: Backbitters billycock

Today: Scouts batting helm.

:D

And those knew hats look awful.

1-D_FTW

DemoNumbers.jpg

SoldierNumbers.jpg

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3388

Proof there was funny business going on in the war. Good thing the top two soldiers decided to counter all the cheating going on by the demomen or the cheating would have payed off for demomen.

Even though soldier had the biggest cheater at the 1 and 2 spot, unless I missed/double counted a number twice, the average kills of the top 18 demomen were: 43,9xx soldier kills. The average kills of the top 18 soldiers were: 32,3xx demomen kills.

The fifth worst soldier cheater wouldn't have even cracked the demomen's top 18 list.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah I thought that was cute. Would be pretty sweet to have some sort of mod for TF2 based around those models fighting in a playground of sorts :lol

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
February 3, 2010 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Engine

Enabled Steam Cloud support for key bindings and custom spraypaint images

Added Options->Multiplayer->Advanced option to toggle off/on: default is on

Team Fortress 2

Added new Highlander mode

9 players allowed per team

Restricts each team to 1 of each class

Use mp_highlander (0/1) to toggle off/on: default is 0

Added "bots" to the server's sv_tags convar if the server is running bots

Fixed a weapon name localization issue

Fixed the "tf_teamtalk" server convar not controlling text chat between living/dead teammates

Updated the map CTF_DoubleCross

Fixed the map not ending correctly when using mp_timelimit

Changed to prevent Engineers from building on top of the shack in each base

Updated the map Arena_WatchTower

Fixed a case where players could open and get stuck on the starting gates before the round start

Improved clipping to prevent people from getting out of the map

Optimized the map for better performance

barnone

Anyone know what highlander mode is? Only new rule the one class per team?

Edit: update notes for new page

February 3, 2010 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Engine

Enabled Steam Cloud support for key bindings and custom spraypaint images

Added Options->Multiplayer->Advanced option to toggle off/on: default is on

Team Fortress 2

Added new Highlander mode

Use mp_highlander (0/1) to toggle off/on: default is 0

Added "bots" to the server's sv_tags convar if the server is running bots

Fixed a weapon name localization issue

Fixed the "tf_teamtalk" server convar not controlling text chat between living/dead teammates

Updated the map CTF_DoubleCross

Fixed the map not ending correctly when using mp_timelimit

Changed to prevent Engineers from building on top of the shack in each base

Updated the map Arena_WatchTower

Fixed a case where players could open and get stuck on the starting gates before the round start

Improved clipping to prevent people from getting out of the map

Optimized the map for better performance

I thought at first it would be an Eyelander-centric mode, but it's apparently playing on the "There can only be one" idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom