• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roMonster

Hazaro said:
Well at close range it does 131 with a minicrit (always). A normal close range shot does around 110 (damage ramp up). So it is not a big deal imo.

Getting someone airborne because of the DH is hard and it only takes 2 rockets to kill anyway so there is no real point.

That's not my experience. From what I can tell (from mid range) the DH can do ~112 on the ground and when in the air (with the mini crit) it can do up to ~153. And I think it does ~120 from at blank (without the mini crit).

And to bounce people with the DH aim for the legs (not the feet) a little bit below the belt--works for everything but heavies (which you don't need because you might as well just pummel with directs hits to the chest).

This is all from before yesterdays patch--so I'm not sure how much it has changed.

mclem

Orbitcube said:
Hmm.. how about some Sam Fisher-esque Night Vision Goggles for the Spy (just for show, of course)? It might be out of place in TF2 which is part of the rules for this, but if you stylize them enough you could probably fit them in with the sort of style TF2 is going for. I have no idea how to use Maya or 3ds Max but it'd be cool to see it in the game.

Wouldn't X-Ray Specs (with swirly lenses, naturally) be more inkeeping with the TF2 feel?

Capndrake

Orbitcube said:
Hmm.. how about some Sam Fisher-esque Night Vision Goggles for the Spy (just for show, of course)? It might be out of place in TF2 which is part of the rules for this, but if you stylize them enough you could probably fit them in with the sort of style TF2 is going for. I have no idea how to use Maya or 3ds Max but it'd be cool to see it in the game.
Pay more attention to FPSBanana: http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/69820

Boonoo

For the spy a fake nose and moustache would be great.
nose-moustache-glasses.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Lately I've been trying my hand at Sniper and some of my better rounds were when I was constantly on the move. I'm also learning how to get a handle of unscoped rifle shooting and have had a few successful headshots with them - mostly on Pyro and Demos. Still it's a learning game but finding the right timing with the hitboxes can be satisfying.

Proven

I come back after weeks to read last page and Blizzard still having problems with understanding crit chance?

There are two crit chance functions, one for weapons that shoot, and one for melee weapons. The two functions have a similar shape, but the melee weapon one starts out with a higher percentage, and also goes much higher (many people report that the melee crit chance can go up to about 60%, and have been banging Valve about it for months, but no word still)

For both functions, your chance percentage goes up based on how much damage you've done in 20 seconds, as someone has said (I thought it was 10 seconds for a while, so there, I'm wrong too). You can pretty much tell when you have max boost when you get on a ridiculous spree and your entire upper right is bordered in white (which I always thought was a really nice UI design to show bloodlust, as the higher the frequency of your kills, the harder it is to know what other dangers are happening around you until you calm down. Add to the fact that it takes 10 seconds for the kill messages to dissapear, and that's what led me to think crit chance measured your last 10 seconds).

Now, Medics and Engineers don't do a lot of damage directly, so in order to keep their crit chance high their function goes up from their patients and sentries respectively. Good Medics don't die and get lots of assists, and a good sentry placement is constantly firing and killing people. If you still don't believe this, then put on damage text and go play Medic and Engineer for a while. You'll see that you get to see damage text for damage done by your patients and your sentries.

To put up something constructive, I've started to put up TF2 videos of gameplay every few weeks. The quality isn't great and the text looks very big, mostly because I had to go to great lengths in order for the source recorder to work and not have my video card restart or tf2 crash every random number of minutes. Here's the most recent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4dQdbMBbTE Please note that it was my first time playing in over a week, and the title of the video.

Blizzard

Banned
Proven said:
Explanation.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I appreciate it.

*edit* If I understand that correctly, it also means that an engineer is much more likely to crit-wrench you if you sap his sentry around the same time major attacks are happening, as opposed to when it is just sitting idle. Interesting.

Proven

Blizzard said:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I appreciate it.

*edit* If I understand that correctly, it also means that an engineer is much more likely to crit-wrench you if you sap his sentry around the same time major attacks are happening, as opposed to when it is just sitting idle. Interesting.

Exactly. I also think it's why I subconsciously started using my shotgun over my wrench when dealing with Spies, since most try to sap while there's a lull in the base. That, and I suck at melee'ing. I had to watch many youtube videos to understand all the calls of the crit wrench hax.

Proven

I needed to warm up for a scrim on a friend's clan's server, so I quickly popped onto the F7 servers to play with Java. Unfortunately, Java's team was full (of course) so I'd have to play with him later tonight. I did get a major confidence boost though, which I decided to put into video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sZ2ODS5bRg

There's also a part 2.

Lumine

Whats the deal with this game seemingly never recording my scores properly? I've had some great rounds with most classes before and when I go go to the stats page right away it will show this. However when I log off and play the game at another time later in the week all my scores will have reverted back to some old record. Playtime seems to stay correct for whatever reason. Is this a known bug? I've had this for as long as I can remember and no idea what to do about it. Having a broken stats system makes it completely useless. Actually it becomes somewhat annoying. :(

explodet

Yeah, I try not to let the stat thing bother me, the only time it really bugged me is when it didn't catch my Sniper run with 11 headshots. (They kept standing up by the cart, what else was I supposed to do? :D )

Sniper is now my second most played class with a whopping 7 points, medic is first with 30. My stats chart looks so terrible.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
explodet said:
Yeah, I try not to let the stat thing bother me, the only time it really bugged me is when it didn't catch my Sniper run with 11 headshots. (They kept standing up by the cart, what else was I supposed to do? :D )

Sniper is now my second most played class with a whopping 7 points, medic is first with 30. My stats chart looks so terrible.
No way, I'm decent as a medic but getting 30 points with that class is pretty awesome. Oh, and I'd just like to say that I got my first hat, the football helmet. I'm ecstatic.

2nafish

Banned
Hazaro said:
Getting someone airborne because of the DH is hard and it only takes 2 rockets to kill anyway so there is no real point.

That's what I was thinking... Kinda annoyed with this DH nerf... :\

speedpop

explodet said:
Nice. A person who has Medic in their best played class is always a good player. I think my highest on Medic so far is 42, but I know I can do better since I play stupidly with it these days.

After I restarted my stats ages ago, I think Heavy was my second best class but now he's at a paltry 10 hours with only 20 points. I suppose I got bitter about constantly getting my ass kicked by Snipers and Spies that I stopped playing the class proper. Would be nice to jump back into the Heavy class again but I'm having too much fun killing people on Sniper without the scope.

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
Well at close range it does 131 with a minicrit (always). A normal close range shot does around 110 (damage ramp up). So it is not a big deal imo.

Up close, sure, but at a distance I thought it did like 40-50 damage, so any boost from people bunny-hopping is (was) nice there.

roMonster said:
That's not my experience. From what I can tell (from mid range) the DH can do ~112 on the ground and when in the air (with the mini crit) it can do up to ~153. And I think it does ~120 from at blank (without the mini crit).

And to bounce people with the DH aim for the legs (not the feet) a little bit below the belt--works for everything but heavies (which you don't need because you might as well just pummel with directs hits to the chest).

This is all from before yesterdays patch--so I'm not sure how much it has changed.
Actually, I think a mini-crit can inflict even more damage than that, unless hitting someone underwater further boosted the weapon's potency prior to the fix. Before Valve dialed it back, a Direct Hit mini-crit could do up to 210 damage when taking a swim, so...

speedpop said:
Nice. A person who has Medic in their best played class is always a good player. I think my highest on Medic so far is 42, but I know I can do better since I play stupidly with it these days.

After I restarted my stats ages ago, I think Heavy was my second best class but now he's at a paltry 10 hours with only 20 points. I suppose I got bitter about constantly getting my ass kicked by Snipers and Spies that I stopped playing the class proper. Would be nice to jump back into the Heavy class again but I'm having too much fun killing people on Sniper without the scope.
Medic used to be my top class point-wise for a long time, but now he's been surpassed by the Heavy and the Engineer. :[

jj8h8y.png

Mainly a Kritzkrieg Medic though, unless an Über is absolutely necessary to advance.

explodet

What's really surprising in my stats is the 28 points I got as a Scout. I don't know how that happened, I play on Lotus 32player servers and usually get smeared by tons of crossfire. And my aim with the Sandman blows. :lol

Kritz medic is a lot of fun, the quicker charge means I'm actually firing it off more often instead of running around trying to get uber charged up and dying when I'm 90%+ charged. Grrr.

My worst class? Pyro. I keep falling into the w+m1 mentality and epic fail ensues.

Fixed1979

So I tried playing Spy for a full night on F7 last night...I'm so terrible. I've been watching some videos to get some ideas on how to improve but nothing as of yet...I guess it's best to just keep playing him until I get it figured out, but it's so frustrating.

^ I sucked as Spy at first, but I just kept on playing. I truly think I became better when I decided to focus on sapping buildings instead of getting kills. Oh and the interface really takes some time to get used to. Switching between camo, disguise, sapper, etc. def takes some muscle memory...aka time.

I finally bought this game over the Steam holiday sale for 10 dollars (along with CSS for another 5), I honestly, I couldn't be happier. It is the most fun and refreshing multiplayer game I have played in a while, and the only one I have played avidly in years....I can honestly say I played this game every day humanly possible since my purchase.

Proven

Remind me to take a picture of my steam stats page one day. My Medic record is 55 on PC and 53 on 360, and I've played it about 20 hours more than any other class on PC (forgot my 360 time records). The only other class I have more than 20 points with as a record is Engineer, in the 30s, on both PC and 360 as well. All I did was get a good teleporter up and my team was able to keep any spies from getting close to me.

Firestorm

The stats thing is really annoying. Still annoyed at the couple of months back where I doubled my Medic score and beat all my records but didn't have it saved.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Firestorm said:
The stats thing is really annoying. Still annoyed at the couple of months back where I doubled my Medic score and beat all my records but didn't have it saved.
I remember being on 2fort and getting 40 kills with the Pyro. I ended up staying alive for over 20 mins. Stupid record did NOT get saved, so I ended up having to stay alive for another 20 min trying to get back that record. It finally saved the second time and I ended up with 38 kills I believe. Never again.

Javaman

Lionheart1337 said:
^ I sucked as Spy at first, but I just kept on playing. I truly think I became better when I decided to focus on sapping buildings instead of getting kills. Oh and the interface really takes some time to get used to. Switching between camo, disguise, sapper, etc. def takes some muscle memory...aka time.

Yeah, I have the same problem with backstabs. It's a combination of my aging reflexes and crappy framerate. Usually I'll go for teleporters at the start of a cart map for offensive. It'll really slow down the flow of reenforcements. Same deal when playing defense. You can sometimes turn the tide at the end of goldrush on defense if you take out their teles. Think about how far they have to run! Even worse then tend to get spread out when running making defending much easier. Good engineers usually build their exit close to them so they can desap, but if you sap and switch to pistol right away to get three shots off at the entrance you can almost always take it down before they can fix it. It's usually a suicide though. I highly recommend binding previous disguise to your middle mouse button or something easy to get to.

roMonster

GoldandBlue said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4prRbc0Wjg

Man, this is why I'm waiting until I've collected enough metal for four Refined Metals and using a class token to craft my first hat.

Using a token sounds like a good idea but it still kinda sucks for people who want a scout or sniper hat. Id like to get a scout hat with my refined but I'll probably end up going for a Heavy hat so this doesnt happen to me.

Capndrake

Once trading comes out there will always be people willing to trade something for the hatless hats because they're trying to get every hat (I know I am), so I'm doing nothing but 3 Refined Metal crafts. Why waste metal which takes ages to get?

Capndrake said:
Once trading comes out there will always be people willing to trade something for the hatless hats because they're trying to get every hat (I know I am), so I'm doing nothing but 3 Refined Metal crafts. Why waste metal which takes ages to get?
Well not everyone is trying to get every hat. I just want one for the class I play the most so wasting the extra metal so I'm guaranteed to get a hat for the class I want is worth it.

Blizzard

Banned
After my crafting fail earlier, I FINALLY got the gunboats last night randomly. I'm kind of disappointed with them though, since they only help with the launch damage, and for me the fall damage is the big problem for rocket jumping. If you rocket jump and land at the same height, you still take like 30-40 damage from the landing alone, I think. :(

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
After my crafting fail earlier, I FINALLY got the gunboats last night randomly. I'm kind of disappointed with them though, since they only help with the launch damage, and for me the fall damage is the big problem for rocket jumping. If you rocket jump and land at the same height, you still take like 30-40 damage from the landing alone, I think. :(

I don't think I've used them past that first time after I unlocked them. I use the Buff Banner almost exclusively in my secondary weapon slot. With fall damage in mind, it seems the Gunboats would have more useful for demoman's more (at least in my experience) horizontal-based sticky jumping.

speedpop

MicVlaD said:
Mainly a Kritzkrieg Medic though, unless an Über is absolutely necessary to advance.
Yep. I tend to stick to the Medigun if I am the single Medic on offense, but if there is another Medic then I will swiftly change it to Kritz and let the Soldiers/Demos/Heavies know.

As for the Gunboats, I thought they would be handy but the Buff Banner shits over everything.

Proven

Blizzard said:

Considering that a normal rocket jump takes around 40 damage and then you still get fall damage, you're still saving a ton. But you shouldn't be going straight up anyways unless it's to land on something (gain high ground). Otherwise, you might as well do distance jumps. You also don't take much damage if you come in with a surprise rocket jump anyway.

I find the gunboats to be really great, but their use is limited on me for as long as I suck at rocket jumping. So I use the Buff Banner. Since they were buffed to also allow wall jumping, the possibilities with it are insane.

Proven

You know that update that came out that caused the Equalizer glitch? Where you could do the Equalizer taunt and still survive if you had the gunboats equipped? It's because people complained that the shoes only worked on strictly vertical jumps, so they changed the gunboats to block all self explosive damage that doesn't hurt another player. This now allows for distance jumps, wall jumps, and all sorts of fun stuff.

Also came here to post the second edition of one of my favorite soldier tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYC0zYUUB_A

Oreoleo

That was neat. Seeing the guy in the video nail all those aerial shots was pretty cool. I'm not very good at juggling like that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom