• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
That sounds interesting, but I have the feeling it may be especially rage-inducing since people might just quit if they can't play the classes they like, or if something like the medic or demo is bad, other people will complain or say they're better, etc. etc.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hazaro said:
33lku2u.jpg

awww
Can anyone make this a spray?
Thanks

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
That sounds interesting, but I have the feeling it may be especially rage-inducing since people might just quit if they can't play the classes they like, or if something like the medic or demo is bad, other people will complain or say they're better, etc. etc.
It's a good idea on paper, just like arena mode was. But who wants to get stuck playing as the scout when you're, say for example, defending the last point of Goldrush? Seems to me like raising the class limit to 2 would solve a lot of headaches. But aren't class limits a server-side variable anyway? Why was this mode needed again?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Hmm, I kind of want to try the new mode out now. On a side note, don't play TF2 when you're taking medicine. I kept slurring my words over mic chat today.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jangaroo said:
Hmm, I kind of want to try the new mode out now. On a side note, don't play TF2 when you're taking medicine. I kept slurring my words over mic chat today.
That happens to me when I get drunk.. so people on my team tell me to switch over to Medic because then I shut up :lol

Oreoleo

speedpop said:
That happens to me when I get drunk.. so people on my team tell me to switch over to Medic because then I shut up :lol

I probably do the majority of my mic spamming as medic.

"Spy. Spy! SPY! RIGHT BEHIND YOU!! NOO!"
"TURNAROUNDTURNAROUNDTURNAROUND OMGTHEYARERIGHTBEHINDUS!!"
*hits uber* "WAIT COME BACK I GOT PYRO BLASTED COME BACK I LOST YOU NOOO!"

etc etc

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I played 2 rounds of Highlander on badwater... Feels very sparse and balanced unless no one knows how to spy check.

Javaman

Jangaroo said:

Haaha, I didn't notice. I find myself tripping over words when I try to supress my southern accent.

Jangaroo

Javaman said:
Haaha, I didn't notice. I find myself tripping over words when I try to supress my southern accent.
Haha, I didn't even notice that you had a southern accent. You were awesome as a medic on Gravelpit.

Oreoleo

Javaman said:

You must do a hell of a job suppressing it because I've never really noticed. Your voice has sort of a treble-y timbre that is indicative of being from the south, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it an "accent."

Jangaroo

Orellio said:
You must do a hell of a job suppressing it because I've never really noticed. Your voice has sort of a treble-y timbre that is indicative of being from the south, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it an "accent."
Yeah, that's a great way of putting it.

Boonoo

It's a good idea on paper, just like arena mode was. But who wants to get stuck playing as the scout when you're, say for example, defending the last point of Goldrush? Seems to me like raising the class limit to 2 would solve a lot of headaches. But aren't class limits a server-side variable anyway? Why was this mode needed again?

I've primarily seen it as a less serious comp mode. It's more or less just a different way to play the game. It's pretty amazing how different tf2 feels when there are only 6 people on a team.

If you guys want to try highlander out in a more controlled environment you might want to hit up http://tf2lobby.com/. It's a lobby system for putting together comp pugs. It works really smoothly, and while there's the occasional rage quit you usually (at least in 6v6) get the full match in. The set up is pretty painless as well.

I could really see highlander being trouble on open servers with the amount of pop in and out that you'll normally get, especially with the class limits. And with that few people and the specific limits in place things can get unbalanced fast.

Even moreso, I'd recommend it for anyone who want's to get a taste for standard 6v6 matches. I've started scrimming and pugging lately, and I've really enjoyed it. The game has a completely different feel with the low player count--you have to play a lot safer, and with more teamwork. The basic class breakdown for those is 2 scouts, 2 soldiers, 1 demo and 1 medic, and I'd recommend going in as one of those, although the occasional pyro and sniper are nice. Most people are looking for the basic team, though. (You won't necessarily get kicked or something like that, if you go heavy or spy or whatnot, but your team will probably grumble.) Overall people seem pretty good, though.

You can pop in and join any given lobby or make your own--the system will find an empty server set up for cevo matches for you. It really is a great way to see what 6v6 feels like.

Proven

Boonoo said:
I've primarily seen it as a less serious comp mode. It's more or less just a different way to play the game. It's pretty amazing how different tf2 feels when there are only 6 people on a team.

If you guys want to try highlander out in a more controlled environment you might want to hit up http://tf2lobby.com/. It's a lobby system for putting together comp pugs. It works really smoothly, and while there's the occasional rage quit you usually (at least in 6v6) get the full match in. The set up is pretty painless as well.

I could really see highlander being trouble on open servers with the amount of pop in and out that you'll normally get, especially with the class limits. And with that few people and the specific limits in place things can get unbalanced fast.

Even moreso, I'd recommend it for anyone who want's to get a taste for standard 6v6 matches. I've started scrimming and pugging lately, and I've really enjoyed it. The game has a completely different feel with the low player count--you have to play a lot safer, and with more teamwork. The basic class breakdown for those is 2 scouts, 2 soldiers, 1 demo and 1 medic, and I'd recommend going in as one of those, although the occasional pyro and sniper are nice. Most people are looking for the basic team, though. (You won't necessarily get kicked or something like that, if you go heavy or spy or whatnot, but your team will probably grumble.) Overall people seem pretty good, though.

You can pop in and join any given lobby or make your own--the system will find an empty server set up for cevo matches for you. It really is a great way to see what 6v6 feels like.

I came in to give thoughts on the highlander mode and to help your propping up of tf2lobby, but your avatar is just way too...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Guy who makes TF2Tactics on Youtube put up two more vids after the Deadringer update.

Demo-Sentry Kills

Most things already known to the vet Demo player but a great resource for those who are still exploring the game (as usual). Some nice ideas for Demos who are probably too reliant upon Stickies, as well as an interesting count on how many Stickies/Tubes it takes to destroy various levels of SGs.

Offensive Engineer in Goldrush

This one is awesome. Shows how effective a single offensive Engi can be on your team during the massive chokepoint that is Goldrush stage 3 - last cap. Effectively and comprehensively controls the entire spawn point of Red to allow his Blu teammates to destroy 4 SGs and cap within a handful of mins.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh wow they put in an official highlander mode. I remember some online tournaments had an identical setup over a year ago. Was very very interesting.

benjipwns

Banned
speedpop said:
Guy who makes TF2Tactics on Youtube put up two more vids after the Deadringer update.
One thing I hate about these is that if you already knew about the stuff, you can't really use it anymore half the time since people are looking specifically for it.

I don't remember the exact thing, but there was one thing I used for like six months at 100% effectiveness, and then someone made a YouTube video that got posted all over and now I have like 10% success with it.

No, I don't want to evolve and develop better methods.

Javaman

speedpop said:

Demo-Sentry Kills

Most things already known to the vet Demo player but a great resource for those who are still exploring the game (as usual). Some nice ideas for Demos who are probably too reliant upon Stickies, as well as an interesting count on how many Stickies/Tubes it takes to destroy various levels of SGs.

Offensive Engineer in Goldrush

This one is awesome. Shows how effective a single offensive Engi can be on your team during the massive chokepoint that is Goldrush stage 3 - last cap. Effectively and comprehensively controls the entire spawn point of Red to allow his Blu teammates to destroy 4 SGs and cap within a handful of mins.

That's BS about the tele being first. It's much better around the corner in the usual spot. Otherwise if the enemy has half a brain he will see the action going on and clear it out. Getting a disp up first is a good idea, but the last thing you want to do is draw attention to yourself.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Gexecuter said:
Since this week i have been gettings lots of "client timed out" any suggestions to fix this?

These recent patches screwed over a lot of people, we just have to wait for a patch, which I would think should come out this week.

Boonoo

Gexecuter said:
Since this week i have been gettings lots of "client timed out" any suggestions to fix this?

Have you updated your steam client recently? I think that stopped it for some people.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Iadien said:
These recent patches screwed over a lot of people, we just have to wait for a patch, which I would think should come out this week.

oh wow really? so it's just not me getting this kind of problems? that sucks.

Boonoo said:
Have you updated your steam client recently? I think that stopped it for some people.

I did and i also disabled my firewall just in case, i still get client timed out messages but i think they are less frequent, come on Valve fix this quickly please D:

Proven

Javaman said:
That's BS about the tele being first. It's much better around the corner in the usual spot. Otherwise if the enemy has half a brain he will see the action going on and clear it out. Getting a disp up first is a good idea, but the last thing you want to do is draw attention to yourself.

Since he had some metal nearby, he could quickly get up a level 3 up, and with teammates quickly making up a defense he'd be safe. Still, it is an offensive setup, meaning that until it gets into place it's better to have already set up in a safer place in case he was forced to fall back (which I believe he did, since he had to destroy and rebuild all of his buildings). Or you can just have a different engie set up in the usual spot while you perform the risky operation.

MNC

I love offensive Engie. I usually see my sentry as my little sidekick and quickly place them in corners of important sections and shoot the shit out of people with shotgun/pistol/wrench and hope they die and use their weapons to build a small base :D

Not that it works all the time or anything, but it's fun and a fresh way of trying tactics.

Engineer is alot more versatile than people can think.

Iadien

MNC said:
I love offensive Engie. I usually see my sentry as my little sidekick and quickly place them in corners of important sections and shoot the shit out of people with shotgun/pistol/wrench and hope they die and use their weapons to build a small base :D

Not that it works all the time or anything, but it's fun and a fresh way of trying tactics.

I love messing with offensive engineer on payload maps.

Javaman

Iadien said:
I love messing with offensive engineer on payload maps.

Yeah. One of my favorite spots to build while attacking on CP_Gravelpit is underneath the platform on the left side of B. If you can get a level one up without being seen it's quite a crowd pleaser. With the ammo appearing right in front of you + enemies dropping 100 metal when they die it's fairly easy to keep it alive.

Iadien

Javaman said:
Yeah. One of my favorite spots to build while attacking on CP_Gravelpit is underneath the platform on the left side of B. If you can get a level one up without being seen it's quite a crowd pleaser. With the ammo appearing right in front of you + enemies dropping 100 metal when they die it's fairly easy to keep it alive.

I was playing with you last night right before midnight, as an offensive eng on badwater.

MNC said:
Too bad they can get one-shotted by any Demoman weapon, and that all of their buildings (even at level 3) can go down with just two stickies.

I hate them (Demo's) so much.

Iadien

MicVlaD said:
Too bad they can get one-shotted by any Demoman weapon, and that all of their buildings (even at level 3) can go down with just two stickies.

I hate them (Demo's) so much.

I have never seen a level 3 sentry go down with 2 stickies.

Blizzard

Banned
Iadien said:
See the above video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh2fL_MeSik) just after the 6:00 mark. A level 3 sentry will also die in two direct hit shots, which I kind of hope they don't nerf since I play soldier sometimes. I don't know if direct hit soldier shots can kill a level 3 sentry if an engineer is on it though. I think I've used 3-4 shots while ubered before but the engineer kept it alive.

Iadien

Weird, I tested that out before and couldn't destroy a level 3 sentry with 2 stickies. I'll test it again.

Technically, the last update was #99 right? I hope they drop #100 this week. Can't wait to see what they have stored. Oh, and I believe I heard that those runner ups get their prize today (Monday). Either that or they'll know what they'll get.

So, I was able to craft a hat earlier last week and I got a Tough Guy's Toque. I've been very lucky in getting great hats!

Oh and ever since the last couple updates, I seem to crash at the beginning of every 3rd map or so. And of course that lag with kills and deaths, but that happens rarely for me. But oh well, it'll get fixed hopefully soon.

Oreoleo

Alaskanbullworm said:
And of course that lag with kills and deaths, but that happens rarely for me.

Yeah WTF is this shit? Been happening to me ALL THE TIME lately. It's like my fps just plummets whenever I get a kill. Kind of like when you get an achievement and it lags just a split second... SO ANNOYING.

borsdy

Banned
Alaskanbullworm said:
So, I was able to craft a hat earlier last week and I got a Tough Guy's Toque. I've been very lucky in getting great hats!
A LOT I wish I got that than my crafted Ushanka :x it is a cool hat but I have seen many people with it and that makes me feel even smaller as a person!

Oreoleo

borsdy said:
A LOT I wish I got that than my crafted Ushanka :x it is a cool hat but I have seen many people with it and that makes me feel even smaller as a person!

Personally I think I'd prefer the Ushanka. Tough Guy's Toque always looked kinda stupid to me. Don't like the way it flares out at the bottom.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So i decided to reset my stats today. Turns out it wipes all the damage you accumulated for Pyromancer and all the healing you acquire for the Medic one but doesn't wipe out other stats that you build up like reflecting rockets. I was getting close to pyromancer too...

VaLiancY

Orellio said:
Personally I think I'd prefer the Ushanka. Tough Guy's Toque always looked kinda stupid to me. Don't like the way it flares out at the bottom.

The Ushanka & Bill's Hat are the Heavy's best hats.:D

Jangaroo

zombieshavebrains said:
So i decided to reset my stats today. Turns out it wipes all the damage you accumulated for Pyromancer and all the healing you acquire for the Medic one but doesn't wipe out other stats that you build up like reflecting rockets. I was getting close to pyromancer too...
Yeah, that sucks for the pyro. I was a good 2 million away from getting the pyromancer achievement but I didn't realize resetting stats would affect that as well. It's the only achievement I need left for the pyro as well :(

Oreoleo

zombieshavebrains said:

Shit, really? I reset my stats a few weeks before the WAR update. Never noticed those achievements reset :'(

Oreoleo

Alaskanbullworm said:
Technically, the last update was #99 right? I hope they drop #100 this week. Can't wait to see what they have stored.

TF2 Update #100 said:
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2

Fixed Polish Team Fortress 2 fonts not being displayed correctly in the Main Menu

:lol Guess you kinda missed the mark on that one huh?

Iadien said:
Mentioned it a month or two back, but that video definitely proves you can destroy a level 3 Sentry with two stickies quite easily. Two pipebombs as well if I recall correctly, with the added annoyance of being pushed back.

Blizzard said:
See the above video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh2fL_MeSik) just after the 6:00 mark. A level 3 sentry will also die in two direct hit shots, which I kind of hope they don't nerf since I play soldier sometimes. I don't know if direct hit soldier shots can kill a level 3 sentry if an engineer is on it though. I think I've used 3-4 shots while ubered before but the engineer kept it alive.
I don't mind that the Soldier can destroy one in two shots, perfectly reasonable and manageable even with the Direct Hit. Facing Demomen on the other hand is all kinds of frustrating for more than one reason, not necessarily because they serve as hard-counters to Engineers.

Orellio said:
Yeah WTF is this shit? Been happening to me ALL THE TIME lately. It's like my fps just plummets whenever I get a kill. Kind of like when you get an achievement and it lags just a split second... SO ANNOYING.
They started occuring ever since the last update (ignoring the one fixing Polish fonts). Some claimed that disabling the Steam Cloud function in Advanced Multiplayer Options gets rid of the slowdowns, but it didn't change a thing for me.

Guess we'll have to wait for a patch that remedies this.

Iadien

MicVlaD said:
Mentioned it a month or two back, but that video definitely proves you can destroy a level 3 Sentry with two stickies quite easily. Two pipebombs as well if I recall correctly, with the added annoyance of being pushed back.

Yeah, I've been testing it out, and I still can't destroy a level 3 with 2 stickies. Not sure what's up with that. And yes, 2 pipe bombs does destroy a level 3 sentry.

MicVlaD said:
They started occuring ever since the last update (ignoring the one fixing Polish fonts). Some claimed that disabling the Steam Cloud function in Advanced Multiplayer Options gets rid of the slowdowns, but it didn't change a thing for me.

Guess we'll have to wait for a patch that remedies this.

I also got the "stutter" problem after the recent patches, and this was the third time I've had it after a patch came out. The only way I've been able to fix it is to format my hard drive. :lol I tried uninstalling the game, deleting the steam folder, reinstalling, etc. and the stutter doesn't go away. No clue why formatting fixes it, but it does.

desh

Iadien said:
Yeah, I've been testing it out, and I still can't destroy a level 3 with 2 stickies. Not sure what's up with that. And yes, 2 pipe bombs does destroy a level 3 sentry.
The Stickies must be very close to the sentry in order for just needing 2 to destroy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom