• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Javaman said:
That's BS about the tele being first. It's much better around the corner in the usual spot. Otherwise if the enemy has half a brain he will see the action going on and clear it out. Getting a disp up first is a good idea, but the last thing you want to do is draw attention to yourself.

LISTEN TO JAVA!

That last point on Goldrush was stupid. It was well defended and really it was the defenders fault they lost it. One veteran player could take down that base easily. Most players I game with keep that area WELL defended as well, so it's not like you can often waltz in there and build your shit up.

Lionheart, what's your steam id? I'm on there too, but maybe you're using a different name?

SumPog said:
Lots of my friends have recommended me this game but I've been putting it off for a while now. Is it really that fun?

No. It's been awful for years now, we only play matches now and then for the bitter irony. It's a good thing Portal was in the Orange Box to give us our hardcore FPS fix, or there would've been riots.

Yes, buy the damn game. Buy it for PC, though.

squinters

astigmatic
SumPog said:
What exactly is The Orange Box? A bunch of varied games put together in one... orange box?
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/469/
This, my good man, is the Orange Box. One of the best values in gaming. I take it that becuase you don't know what it is, you haven't played the Half Life's or Portal, at which I urge you to pay the measly $29.99 and experience some of the best FPS's gaming's given us in the past decade.

SumPog said:
What exactly is The Orange Box? A bunch of varied games put together in one... orange box?

The Orange Box was Valve's way of selling Half Life and Episodes 1 and 2 together. They included Portal, which is a fantastic puzzle platformer using a unique mechanic and some wonderful writing (spawned countless internet memes for a while, some still persist), and I can't remember their reasoning for including TF2, I guess they thought it initially wouldn't work as a stand-alone product.

You can buy it and download it right now, tonight, for $30. It is worth every single dollar, and more dollars you will later feel you cheated them from. You don't need to know anything about Half-Life to play Portal or TF2, you'll only miss one or two tiny references. Half-Life 2 benefits from playing Half-Life 1, but is still pretty stand-alone, and one hell of a series worth playing. It's an amazing package altogether.

SumPog

Neo Member
squinters said:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/469/
This, my good man, is the Orange Box. One of the best values in gaming. I take it that becuase you don't know what it is, you haven't played the Half Life's or Portal, at which I urge you to pay the measly $29.99 and experience some of the best FPS's gaming's given us in the past decade.

Certainly looks it. Half-Life 2 ftw

I'm considering it but then again i could just walk into my gaming store and buy team fortress and be done with it. After all, that's all I'm really looking at.

Blizzard

Banned
SumPog said:

I'm considering it but then again i could just walk into my gaming store and buy team fortress and be done with it. After all, that's all I'm really looking at.
Have you played episode 1/2, or portal? If not, then it's almost worth the price. If you're really patient and don't mind waiting on a valve sale or christmas sale, the orange box has been as low as $5-10 on Steam, which is a great deal. If you really don't care about ep 1/2 or portal, then I guess you could go for a store TF2 purchase if it's only $15-20 or something.

benjipwns

Banned
SumPog said:

Or buy it from Steam and be done with it.

And not have to leave the house!

But Orange Box is a better deal since you get four more games for just $10 more.

SumPog

Neo Member
I have issues with internet and downloading 3 games is a bit excessive. It takes too much time and I honestly have had troubles about submitting money on the internet before.

squinters

astigmatic
SumPog said:
I have issues with internet and downloading 3 games is a bit excessive. It takes too much time and I honestly have had troubles about submitting money on the internet before.
You can download each game in the Orange Box seperately whenever you want. And Steam is pretty easy and reliable when it comes to purchasing online.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the retail version of the Orange Box just a cd key that lets you later download it off Steam?

Blizzard

Banned
squinters said:
You can download each game in the Orange Box seperately whenever you want. And Steam is pretty easy and reliable when it comes to purchasing online.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the retail version of the Orange Box just a cd key that lets you later download it off Steam?
Very probably, and at the very least you will have to install Steam and download updates (a lot of updates in the case of TF2) if you do that.

And as the other guy said, Steam is good about downloading games. I have lots of purchased games that I haven't even downloaded yet. You can uninstall games if you don't want them anymore (though you have to back up your own save files/screenshots/whatever if you want to keep them), download them again later, download them onto another new computer if you get one, etc. Valve has been pretty good about credit card purchases for me, though some people sometimes have had issues that they have to go through Steam support to clear up (i.e. if a card gets rejected). If you want to be really safe, use a paypal account or a credit card specific for online purchases, and keep it totally separate from your normal "real-world" purchases. :)

Oreoleo

MicVlaD said:
They started occuring ever since the last update (ignoring the one fixing Polish fonts). Some claimed that disabling the Steam Cloud function in Advanced Multiplayer Options gets rid of the slowdowns, but it didn't change a thing for me.

Guess we'll have to wait for a patch that remedies this.

Team Fortress 2 and Day of Defeat: Source

-Fixed a case of client-side hitching caused by writing a file to the hard drive too frequently

Suppose that's the fix?

squinters said:

No, there's a proper DVD in there, but be prepared to download some major updates, TF2 in particular has come a long way since initial retail release.

roMonster

Kulock said:
No, there's a proper DVD in there, but be prepared to download some major updates, TF2 in particular has come a long way since initial retail release.

I think you mean toss the disc and be prepared to just download the entire game...

Blizzard

Banned
F7 was lagging tonight, so I ended up on a zombie-fortress-2 server. Interesting mod, though the first map I played was kind of annoying. The survivor red team has to survive the "zombie" blue team which keeps respawning, and if you're killed by a zombie, you turn into one. The graphics are all the same though, aside from custom maps. In addition, the survivor/zombie classes have their own special abilities, like a "rage" ability for the zombie heavy to move faster and have more health.

All of my teammates get stuck in a teleporter.

rm6y9z.jpg

DispleasedEskimo does some great taunt videos. He deserves a gold Batter's Helmet, really. :lol

Orellio said:
Am I missing something? How is he one-shotting those people who are behind him?

The Sandman taunt is weird, it's actually easier to hit people with the back angle of the swing than with the front. And most people think you're going to whiff, so they run up behind you to attack...

Blizzard

Banned
Orellio said:
Am I missing something? How is he one-shotting those people who are behind him?
I thought the hitbox extended to behind the scout, which I didn't know...but asking someone on a server, apparently it's all old news. If you use the bonk drink and hit 3 right after clicking, you'll switch to the sandman (so it looks like you're drinking your bat sometimes). I think someone said that you have to turn around after using the bonk, then do the sandman taunt, and I guess maybe it still kills in the original direction instead of in front of you. It's kind of odd. You also have to taunt quite soon after using bonk, or else it will run out and your taunt won't finish.

*edit* Or maybe the previous poster is right. :lol

*edit v2* Actually, the poster of that video said:
Drink the Bonk Atomic Punch in the opposite direction to where you point the following Sandman taunt, immediately after drinking.

Doesn't always work, but usually you'll get away with a confusing taunt direction to at least some degree.

Oreoleo

Zombie James said:
Is there a server that GAFers generally go to? I've been putting in a lot of time in TF2, wouldn't mind playing a few games with you guys.
F7 Attack/Defend always and forever. IP 69.61.110.70:27015

It's usually pretty full though so good luck getting in. I know at least myself, Javaman and Kuro Madoushi have donated to get reserved slots.

people said:
scout bat taunt stuff
That's really odd. So it's basically a glitch? I rarely have the Bonk with me anyway, I can't imagine ever pulling that off successfully in-game.

Blizzard said:
*edit v2* Actually, the poster of that video said:

Huh, I thought it was like that all of the time, I didn't realize it was specifically a Bonk exploit. I've had very little luck with Scout taunt kills anyway, including some very painful last-minute whiffs.

roMonster

roMonster said:
After weeks of nothing Ive gotten two hats in the last two days.

Yesterday: Backbitters billycock

Today: Scouts batting helm.

:D

And those knew hats look awful.

After seeing the hats in-game, I have to say, they've grown on me.

Boonoo

Orellio said:
F7 Attack/Defend always and forever. IP 69.61.110.70:27015

It's usually pretty full though so good luck getting in. I know at least myself, Javaman and Kuro Madoushi have donated to get reserved slots.

I've been thinking of donating, too. It's a pain in the ass getting kicked for a reserved slot.

It other, hat related, news I just got the Texas Ten Gallon! It's my favorite engie hat, so I'm pretty pleased. I also found the Medic's pointy hat about a week ago, which isn't half bad.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
I've been thinking of donating, too. It's a pain in the ass getting kicked for a reserved slot.

It other, hat related, news I just got the Texas Ten Gallon! It's my favorite engie hat, so I'm pretty pleased. I also found the Medic's pointy hat about a week ago, which isn't half bad.
I have 2-3 random hats, and I FINALLY have crafted 3 reclaimed metals. Unfortunately I'm going to still wait until I have another reclaimed metal and can craft a pyro token before I try to actually make headgear. And then people like you taunt me about the ten gallon engineer hat. :lol Maybe I should actually wait until the engineer comes out so I could have a shot at it. I'm not as big of a fan of the train engineer hat or the miner's helmet though, while I like pretty much all of the pyro hats, and I don't have any of them.

borsdy

Banned
Boonoo said:
Congratulations, those are great hats!

moojito

Despite its cartoonyness, this game isn't the easiest to get started with. One of my main problems is when I go to the server browser I see a million and one different maps being played. Some with slight variations in the names. I usually end up playing on 2fort since that's the only one I recognise.

Do any of you UK folks have a good server you play on regularly?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Your best bet would be to try and see if you can get onto an ISP server. I have no idea whether they do it differently in other countries, but over here some of the bigger ISPs host quite a few servers for multiple games. All of them tend to stick to the official maps.

But as far as I know there are only a handful of fanmade modes that are popular; Surf, Zombie Fortress, Prop Hunt.

speedpop said:
Your best bet would be to try and see if you can get onto an ISP server. I have no idea whether they do it differently in other countries, but over here some of the bigger ISPs host quite a few servers for multiple games. All of them tend to stick to the official maps.

But as far as I know there are only a handful of fanmade modes that are popular; Surf, Zombie Fortress, Prop Hunt.
People should also check out Dodge Ball. One of the best fanmade modes I've played.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
GoldandBlue said:
People should also check out Dodge Ball. One of the best fanmade modes I've played.

Voogru hasn't given the code to many (if any) people though. He also has modified sentries to be homing, bigger rockets that are slow but deal a lot of damage, etc. Valve offered him a job if I remember correctly, but he turned them down.

Iadien said:
Voogru hasn't given the code to many (if any) people though. He also has modified sentries to be homing, bigger rockets that are slow but deal a lot of damage, etc. Valve offered him a job if I remember correctly, but he turned them down.
Wow, really? Never knew all that.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The Prussian is my 2nd most favoured hat after the Tyrant Helm. You know you're a pimp Medic when you've got that shit on.

The one class I'd hate to get any hat for is for the Sniper. Most of the time I don't notice a Sniper wearing the Professional's panama and Trophy belt is even worst since it's the default hat with some teeth in it. The Yellow Belt is basically the Sniper's Hatless but with a ugly piss yellow headband. At least with the Demoman, he gets a cool Afro with his headband.

Lucky for me the first hat I crafted a week ago was the Brigade Helmet. :D

moojito said:
Despite its cartoonyness, this game isn't the easiest to get started with. One of my main problems is when I go to the server browser I see a million and one different maps being played. Some with slight variations in the names. I usually end up playing on 2fort since that's the only one I recognise.

Do any of you UK folks have a good server you play on regularly?
Hampshire Heavies:
#1 - 217.146.85.240:27015
#2 - 217.146.85.241:27015
#3 - 217.146.85.240:27035
#4 - 217.146.85.240:27045
#5 - 217.146.85.240:27055

PC Gamer:
85.236.100.18:27115

Uberium:
81.19.222.34:27015

UKCS-TF2:
#1 - 78.129.244.230:27015
#2 - 78.129.244.230:27030

Those are some decent to good UK servers. The HH ones usually being my go-to servers, unless some abysmal flavor-of-the-month custom map such as Gullywash is constantly winning the map vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom