• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

MrPing1000 said:
Hooker I'm saying they shouldn't have 360 degree movement, they should only be able to move in the range as shown to the engineer when they build them.

And forget that soldier idea, that was bollocks.

As for pyros it just erks me that 1 direct rocket, 1 demoman grenade, point blank scout scatter cannon shot kills u. You're the melee class but you are taken out so easily. Hence the wanting a little bit more health. A little more depth so u actually have a chance against things faster than u and people that spot u whilst a shortish distance away. Wider cone due to it LOOKING like you have a wide cone from your First person pov but in reality it is VERY narrow. The pyro is supposed to be offensive but I find him only to be usuable as defensive. Hell you're told to hide behind corners to burn people, that doesn't sound very offensive to me. I'd argue the scout is a better "melee" type class than the pyro atm.

As I stated a bunch of pages back, you've got to be very agressive with the pyro. Always be on the attack. But attack from the sides, behind, and above. It's an excellent class, but you need to be very aggressive and a thinking soldier. Going head on = death. The only time I do that is when there's a major battle happening and I wanna shake it up or a control point is being captured and I wanna ignite a bunch of enemies in a last ditch effort to create chaos. Pyro's also good at capture points on offense. But don't stand still as a Pyro. Always be moving and scouring for opportunity.

EDIT: Looked at your stats. You've got good stats for the Pyro. Just remember everything is rock-paper-sissors. And Pryo's primary role (IMO) is anti-Spy. You don't want any class to be uber-class or it'll kill the point of the game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Got my first 'Zanboo is hacking' accusations and the guy would not give up. Kinda funny, kind of sad. :lol

1-D_FTW

Zanboo said:
Got my first 'Zanboo is hacking' accusations and the guy would not give up. Kinda funny, kind of sad. :lol

Should have told him: Kill my medic, dumbass. I don't think I saw you anywhere without one.

Talamius

1-D_FTW said:
Should have told him: Kill my medic, dumbass. I don't think I saw you anywhere without one.

It blows my mind how many people will empty out weapons into the HWGuy and not touch the medic behind him!

SupahBlah

Banned
Talamius said:
It blows my mind how many people will empty out weapons into the HWGuy and not touch the medic behind him!

20070921.jpg
?

server going to be back up at some point tonight?

I think my connection is shit, I cant find a single server up. I click refresh all but get "no internet games responded to query"

saelz8

Suburban Cowboy said:
server going to be back up at some point tonight?

I think my connection is shit, I cant find a single server up. I click refresh all but get "no internet games responded to query"
Yes, IcyDeath was working on getting two new servers up. We now have a US and a EU server. (Euro love, believe). The US server IP is different than the one from a few hours ago, so update your favorites.

NeoGAF Servers (US & EU)

PW:neogaf2k7

oh god pubs are horrible. Everyone wants to be
1. Engineer
2. Sniper
or 3. Demoman

heaven forbid they should have to play a medic or heavy.

Thank god the NeoGAF server is back

Anyone able to help me? I cant find any TF2 servers when i refresh list, but CS and DoD servers come up if i search for them. I can connect to the neogaf server tho...

derder said:
I can't connect to the server. The name is there, but it doesn't have any other info

yeah i had some trouble too, had to refresh a few times before it would connect and then it's very jittery once I was in even though only 3 people were there.

blackadde

being on a well coordinated team is a blessing. so are six+ scout rushes.

also, taking over the enemy's base on 2fort with sentries is still fun as ever!

tf2.jpg

firex

damn. I've gotten decent at sniper and I was only playing it for the achievement (got that pretty easily to be honest). I still like engineer, but I'm one of the weirdos who puts my sentry in a good ambush spot so it'll blast one of the 50000 demomen out there before they can see it and lob some OP grenade spam to take it out. now I tend to play either engineer or sniper if I'm on defense (or on 2fort) and pyro/heavy/soldier if I'm on offense, depending upon the map. A medic and I just mowed down like 3/4 of the enemy team on granary an hour ago because they didn't do like the PA comic says. although at least a fully charged sniper headshot will instagib a heavy, which is part of why I like playing it.

and did Valve patch it again just a few hours ago? I went from shit performance on recommended settings and a lot of problems with the steam community overlay to absolutely perfect performance.

I'm also hoping Valve releases some more maps with the retail version. I love the maps in game now, and it's not like I've got them memorized or anything yet, but with how absolutely brilliantly designed they are I just want more. Especially in the case of CTF maps.

Aegus

Had some good games with the Gaf crew tonight/this morning (Cibo). Great offence on Well and Gravel Pit really. I've also learnt to hate the name quellex, especially when he's a sniper. :lol

Hooker

ElectricBlue187 said:
oh god pubs are horrible. Everyone wants to be
1. Engineer
2. Sniper
or 3. Demoman
Euh, tell me about it. Engineers that only build sentrys on uncappable bases, NEVER build teleports or make one at the wrong place. I HATE it!!

Last public server I went into had 6 people on each side, and my side had 5 (!!) snipers, while we were being scout rushed. Rounds lasted about 15 seconds on average. Once I scolded them through the in-game voicechat (they hadn't figured out how to use it yet :p) and changed classes we began to win some rounds again.

And it's wolves following the pack leader. If the top-players are both Demo, people will also choose Demo thinking they can do the same. This goes for every class. It's always fun to be a Pyro, and seeing people fail horribly as it isn't the easiest class to get a hang of.

Some fun pics, phtobucket downscales them to this from 1920*1200. But every effect is maxed, including AA at 16* Q MSAA

I LOVE ctf_fort without a time-limit ^^.

"And it's wolves following the pack leader. If the top-players are both Demo, people will also choose Demo thinking they can do the same. This goes for every class. It's always fun to be a Pyro, and seeing people fail horribly as it isn't the easiest class to get a hang of."

If that was the case, they'd be a HWG, since HWGs can easily rack up points, especially with medic support.

Victrix

*beard*
Not unsupported, and competent Medics on pub teams are rather rare

It's amazing how useless the combo is if either partner sucks. Dumb Medics die really fast (or target the WORST possible person to heal). Dumb partners just play poorly, and aren't effective at abusing the healing for maximum uber charge without dying, while putting intense pressure on the defense.

For some reason, the pyro started to click with me today. I'm really having a blast using the pyro now. They are really awesome for cp maps. There's nothing more satisfying than taking out 5 or 6 people trying to cap a point and watching them run around in chaos. :D

Aegus

IcyDeath, I think there's a problem with the EU server Dustbowl. Lots of people got kicked due a difference in the dustbowl.bsp. Nearly had a full 24 man as well at that point. :(

Great fun on GravelPit as well.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Yea, getting the same error, saying the server and clients version of dustbowl are different.

I am really enjoying the spy class. I was the top killer with a bit more than 200 kills during the last game I played (it was for about 2 hours since they turned off the damn time limit). The only issue with that class is that when friendly fire is turned off teams will just shoot everyone until they find you.

Engineers seem to be a bit of an overpowered class when you have two of them working together in close proximity. When you have two engineers in the same room with two turrets with rockets you can sap one turret but then the engineers will find you quickly kill you and fix it. Or kill an engineer and then just get shot by the turret and die. I'm not sure what the best thing to do in those situations yet.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Neodiablo22 said:
I am really enjoying the spy class. I was the top killer with a bit more than 200 kills during the last game I played (it was for about 2 hours since they turned off the damn time limit). The only issue with that class is that when friendly fire is turned off teams will just shoot everyone until they find you.

Engineers seem to be a bit of an overpowered class when you have two of them working together in close proximity. When you have two engineers in the same room with two turrets with rockets you can sap one turret but then the engineers will find you quickly kill you and fix it. Or kill an engineer and then just get shot by the turret and die. I'm not sure what the best thing to do in those situations yet.

Backstab one engineer, cloak, come back in disguised as an engineer (you might likely have the name of the one you killed) and then sap.

Jenga

Banned
What should be nerfed:
Sentry Gun knockback
Scout Shotty (a slight damage decrease)

What should be buffed:
Pyro's Flamethrower range just slightly.

Draft

So I broke down and bought the Orange box, in spite of the fact that I already own HL2 and Ep. 1, resigning myself to the realization the Black Box is probably never going to exist. Fired up the TF2 Beta.

I think this is the most gorgeous FPS I've ever played. The combination of art and tech is jaw dropping. Game is fucking fun too.

Jenga

Banned
Zanboo said:
Backstab one engineer, cloak, come back in disguised as an engineer (you might likely have the name of the one you killed) and then sap.
Won't sentries still shoot you cloaked? What I would do is just use sap to distract the engineers and quickly take em out.

Jenga said:
Won't sentries still shoot you cloaked? What I would do is just use sap to distract the engineers and quickly take em out.
Cloaking is invisible for sentrys it's the main reason to use it since you can still be spotted by other players with your Predator visual effect.

Aegus

Prime crotch said:
Cloaking is invisible for sentrys it's the main reason to use it since you can still be spotted by other players with your Predator visual effect.

Only if you run out too fast or into a player/get damaged.The rest of the time you're pretty much invisible to the naked eye. A right pain trying to navigate a demoman grenade spam fest or HWG firing line without taking damage.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Jenga said:

What you run into there is you'll sap, they'll immediately start wrenching them (remember there's two engineers) and as soon as you uncloak to backstab one the guns will destroy you.

bounchfx

Jenga said:
What should be nerfed:
Sentry Gun knockback

What should be buffed:

I actually totally agree with these two.

I'd say increase the flame range by like 25-50%

and sentry gun knockback is fucking ridiculous sorry. cut it a little.. but what else do engineers have.. I don't know. I just don't like running into a room as a scout and being paralyzed and dying instantly

firex

If sentries didn't own scouts it'd be left to pyros, who basically have to hope they can burn a scout and then run away and shotgun them before they're left in the dust. or maybe for a lucky sniper shot (I've actually headshotted a few scouts before on 2fort because they keep going over the battlements). Anyway, point is it's pretty much impossible to stop a scout who keeps moving except with a sentry. They're already pretty strong as it is...

Jenga

Banned
firex said:
If sentries didn't own scouts it'd be left to pyros, who basically have to hope they can burn a scout and then run away and shotgun them before they're left in the dust. or maybe for a lucky sniper shot (I've actually headshotted a few scouts before on 2fort because they keep going over the battlements). Anyway, point is it's pretty much impossible to stop a scout who keeps moving except with a sentry. They're already pretty strong as it is...
Uh, and that wouldn't really change with a knock-back nerf. It will still rape scouts. It's silly when you can't uber because a lone sentry keeps PUSHING you back.

fallout

Draft said:
So I broke down and bought the Orange box, in spite of the fact that I already own HL2 and Ep. 1, resigning myself to the realization the Black Box is probably never going to exist. Fired up the TF2 Beta.

I think this is the most gorgeous FPS I've ever played. The combination of art and tech is jaw dropping. Game is fucking fun too.
Heheh, I think most of us would have paid $45 for TF2 alone.

Jenga said:
What should be nerfed:
Sentry Gun knockback
Scout Shotty (a slight damage decrease)

What should be buffed:

Good list. I would also up the demos' standard nade launcher to 5-6 rounds, or decrease reload time.

Has anyone heard of a problem where this game crashes after 10min of getting into any game? This is my problem...and its not specific to a certain button i press or character class or audio...I don't know. Its making this great game unplayable for me.

And my specs are good enough to run it.

Mobility Radeon x1600 256mb
2gb of Ram
2.0ghz Intel Core Duo

I dont know what the deal is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom