• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Server looks to be much more stable now, running just Meta mod and source mod. I added the rtv and mapvote mods, but still need to test them. Round limits are back to 2 and alltalk is set on as default. I think I've found where most of the trip ups were happening... I use FireFTP to upload the mods or cfg changes but apparently it doesn't update the folder for changes unless you manually click the refresh button. I figured reconnecting would update but I guess not. Also I was trying to use the i86 version of the mod instead of the linux. <-Noob mistake. :lol

Any volunteers for mods? I could use about 2 or 3 more.

Hey blizzard, good news, slap is working again!

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
Server looks to be much more stable now, running just Meta mod and source mod. I added the rtv and mapvote mods, but still need to test them. Round limits are back to 2 and alltalk is set on as default. I think I've found where most of the trip ups were happening... I use FireFTP to upload the mods or cfg changes but apparently it doesn't update the folder for changes unless you manually click the refresh button. I figured reconnecting would update but I guess not. Also I was trying to use the i86 version of the mod instead of the linux. <-Noob mistake. :lol

Any volunteers for mods? I could use about 2 or 3 more.

Hey blizzard, good news, slap is working again!
Just make sure Event Harvest shows up more often.

Inkwell

Banned
Glad to see everything's working better. I was hoping to play a bit on the server last night. By the time it seemed like everything was working and people were playing I didn't have time to join in.

Boonoo

I idled all night and didn't get a single item. D:

Edit! Wait! scratch that, I got 5 items. I just had to die a couple times to get them.

Javaman

Boonoo said:
I idled all night and didn't get a single item. D:

Edit! Wait! scratch that, I got 5 items. I just had to die a couple times to get them.

Aren't you pretty close to being able to refine a hat? I remember someone saying they only need a couple more items.

Boonoo

Javaman said:
Aren't you pretty close to being able to refine a hat? I remember someone saying they only need a couple more items.

Yeah, 8 more scrap and i can make another. Hopefully I'll get something nice this time!

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I should start idling or something. I deleted all of my items before they implemented the crafting feature so I'm FAR away from making a hat.

Boonoo

Jangaroo said:
I should start idling or something. I deleted all of my items before they implemented the crafting feature so I'm FAR away from making a hat.

The trick to idling is to do it in spectator mode--otherwise you ruin your time played stats!
I miss the idler program D:

Javaman

Does anyone know of a good windows based text editor for linux files? I'm afraid to edit this file with notepad. It'll probably mess up some CRs or formatting.

rt49j9.jpg

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
Does anyone know of a good windows based text editor for linux files? I'm afraid to edit this file with notepad. It'll probably mess up some CRs or formatting.
I use Notepad++ for all my text-editing needs! I'm pretty sure you can set it to do Unix line feeds instead of Windows, if you need to.

Squash

Jangaroo said:

Lol I cleared space like two days before they updated.

Jangaroo

Lionheart1337 said:
I crafted my Huntsmans by mistake and now I haven't been able to get another one for a week. :( I swear the same items drop over and over.
I have like 2 spare Huntsman. If the trading system ever gets implemented in the near future I'd be glad to hand them to you.

Blizzard

Banned
Lionheart1337 said:
I crafted my Huntsmans by mistake and now I haven't been able to get another one for a week. :( I swear the same items drop over and over.
I must have accidentally crafted my natascha at one point, and it took FOREVER to get another one.

Sorry I missed the games yesterday. :( I might pop on for a bit tonight if anyone is around.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Was screwing around on the server earlier, good stuff, I'm sick of the default maps though. haha I was Jason if you're wondering.

Twig

Banned
Tisan said:
sniperslol.png

frightening
:3

I love this game.
Iadien said:
Was screwing around on the server earlier, good stuff, I'm sick of the default maps though. haha I was Jason if you're wondering.
Well, that explains why you were destroying anyone in your path. JERK. ]:

Oreoleo

Tisan said:
anyone helping?

Fallout was helping a lot tonight :D

The new server reminds me of the LoveMeSexy days. Good times. Java when you get everything figure out you should consider installing a points/ranking system. The OCD part of me loves that stuff, and I think it would go a long way towards getting a steady stream of people on the server.

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
Fallout was helping a lot tonight :D

The new server reminds me of the LoveMeSexy days. Good times. Java when you get everything figure out you should consider installing a points/ranking system. The OCD part of me loves that stuff, and I think it would go a long way towards getting a steady stream of people on the server.
Nooooo!

There's nothing more degrading than a ranking system. ;_;

Oreoleo

TheOneGuy said:
Nooooo!

There's nothing more degrading than a ranking system. ;_;

Degrading how? I just think it's a simple way to add a little incentive to keep playing, like the perk system in CoD. There's nothing wrong with that is there?

Blizzard

Banned
It was fun playing tonight, even though I was alternatively decent and bad. :lol I got 7-8 heads at one point with a demoman, and at another point I exploded a jumping scout (Twig?) in midair. They were like "When did you learn to aim?" :lol

Jangaroo

Orellio said:
Degrading how? I just think it's a simple way to add a little incentive to keep playing, like the perk system in CoD. There's nothing wrong with that is there?
Actually, having a ranking system will be the death of me. I'm going to start obsessing over my k/d and I won't be happy if I'm not doing 2:1.

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
It was fun playing tonight, even though I was alternatively decent and bad. :lol I got 7-8 heads at one point with a demoman, and at another point I exploded a jumping scout (Twig?) in midair. They were like "When did you learn to aim?" :lol

I also noticed it seemed like you were playing particularly well tonight.

Jangaroo said:
Actually, having a ranking system will be the death of me. I'm going to start obsessing over my k/d and I won't be happy if I'm not doing 2:1.

Exactly the point! :D

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
Because I'm terribleeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Blizzard said:
I only briefly played scout. You killed me as some other class, but yeah that was me.

Inkwell

Banned
That was pretty fun last night. I was playing horribly at first. Things turned around a bit later on, but that was due to some great medics. That and I was playing heavy.

It's nice to play on a server where there's decent teamwork and communication going on. Next time I'll try to use my mic.

Javaman

Jangaroo said:
I don't know why I was doing so badly tonight. It was nice sniping you though Java :D

You son of a #$%#%$ haaha. I'm just glad I was able to get a couple of backstabs to take some of the sting away. Regarding the ranks, I originally had them tracked on the server when mani mod was running. Mani when installed by the gameserver button never worked right though since it conflicted with source mod. When I tried to install it myself it was buggy in other ways. I think the problem was the same as I was originally having when I installed sourcemod manually, being caused by my goober self installing the i86 version instead of linux. I'll give it a shot some time down the road with the correct one, but some of the bugs will remain since the mod isn't being updated anymore. I like how much more stable the source mod one is even if it is missing a bunch of features that mani has. I need to figure out a way to improve the end of map vote. Right now there's no cancel vote button. You can let it time out, but in the mean time you can't select weapons with the number keys. I'm not sure why mod makers didn't use the F# keys. Oreo, you can still see the ranks on the server tracker website. I linked to it a couple of pages ago when I first made the server. I'll dig up the link in a bit.

Edit:http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/68.232.178.184:27015/

I'm hoping that ip is still correct. I've reinstalled the server a couple of times.

Acidote

Back on TF2 after a break!

Hey, I've been playing for the last two days after I took a break since before the demoman/soldier update, and I've been trying to unlock their achievements, but so far I've only reached their first milestones. I'm finding their achievements harder than the other classes were!

Maybe it's just me playing bad after the break, but I've been having a hard time on some of them.

How can I get the shield bash achievement? The one involving you killing someone with a shield charge. Does the charge do some amount of damage or it's just the damage boost your weapon receives while charging?

Twig

Banned
Acidote said:
Back on TF2 after a break!

Hey, I've been playing for the last two days after I took a break since before the demoman/soldier update, and I've been trying to unlock their achievements, but so far I've only reached their first milestones. I'm finding their achievements harder than the other classes were!

Maybe it's just me playing bad after the break, but I've been having a hard time on some of them.

How can I get the shield bash achievement? The one involving you killing someone with a shield charge. Does the charge do some amount of damage or it's just the damage boost your weapon receives while charging?
The shield does damage and knockback.

Vlad

TheOneGuy said:
The shield does damage and knockback.

Not only that, but I believe it only does damage near the end of the charge, and even then it isn't all that much, so you need to make sure to hit someone who's already near death.

Oreoleo

Javaman said:
Oreo, you can still see the ranks on the server tracker website. I linked to it a couple of pages ago when I first made the server. I'll dig up the link in a bit.

Edit:http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/68.232.178.184:27015/

I'm hoping that ip is still correct. I've reinstalled the server a couple of times.

Good enough for me :D I don't care about k:d ratio (Being a medic half the time kinda ruins it anyway) and all that as much as ranks and whatnot so this is fine if installing something on the server is too much trouble.

Boonoo

Fuck me and fuck crafting!

For my first hat craft I was blessed with this.
Scoutnohatty.png

And my second after many hours of hard work idling I received this gem.
Snipernohat.png

I'm tempted to craft them together to try for something new, but I'd probably get this.
Sodamnbald.png

Twig

Banned
My first crafted hat was also hatless scout.

But I already have a bunch of hats I like so I no longer care. I'll just wait until they change the drop system, as they said they would (alongside trading, I think?), to reward you for playing instead of idling.

Sciz

Baaaaah. Randomly picked up the trophy belt. I already have the panama. And sniper is my least played class. :(

On the plus side I've gotten some quality time in with the Equalizer and it's absolutely amazing. <3

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Argh...I'll try to get a game in tomorrow night or this weekend...

Goddamn you Sniper Jangaroo! Gonna backstab you one of these days!!!!!
Boonoo, those hatless hats are karma for being scout all the time >:)

Tubobutts

My first crafted hat was a spy hat which happened to be the exact same one as my only other hat. I then crafted those together and got the medic's mirror hat. Spy and medic are my two least played classes.

SyNapSe

soo... crafting sucks for making hats? I notice you can just try to make a random hat or a class hat. Does class hat work better?

I'd never bothered crafting before and my items were full so I was just dropping stuff when it popped up for a long time. Is there a time estimate imbetween hat drops? It must be astronomical! I reset my stats right as this all started and I've never received anything but the halo for not cheating.

edit: to be fair, I got the haloween hat also but both were specials

Tubobutts

SyNapSe said:
soo... crafting sucks for making hats? I notice you can just try to make a random hat or a class hat. Does class hat work better?

I'd never bothered crafting before and my items were full so I was just dropping stuff when it popped up for a long time. Is there a time estimate imbetween hat drops? It must be astronomical! I reset my stats right as this all started and I've never received anything but the halo for not cheating.

edit: to be fair, I got the haloween hat also but both were specials

To make a class specific hat you need a fourth piece of refined metal and a class token which works out to 112 item compared to the 81 you need for a random one. Hat drops are completely random and there is no real time estimate for the drop. I went months without getting one, then got two in a week. Haven't received any since then which was about 6 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom