• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ydnawel

Neo Member
SyNapSe said:
soo... crafting sucks for making hats? I notice you can just try to make a random hat or a class hat. Does class hat work better?

I'd never bothered crafting before and my items were full so I was just dropping stuff when it popped up for a long time. Is there a time estimate imbetween hat drops? It must be astronomical! I reset my stats right as this all started and I've never received anything but the halo for not cheating.

edit: to be fair, I got the haloween hat also but both were specials
Every 4 hours and 17 (?) minutes, you have a 3.5714% chance of getting a random hat. The 4 hours 17 minutes is cumulative. At least, that's what I remember it as.

Oh, and I always go for random hat, because class hat takes more metal. (I hold onto duplicates for the eventual trading...)

Twig

Banned
Crafting for hats gives you a random hat. So if you think that sucks, then it sucks!

It's pretty expensive unless you're a regular idler, though.

My most recent craft was the Texas Slim's Dome Shine, and it's awesome. Best hatless hat and looks great on the Engie.

Other random crafts included were Tough Guy's Toque and Bonk Helm. Very lucky with these crafts so far.

Acidote

I finally did the shield bash achievement yesterday =)

And the Eyelander is soooooo great. Very fun.

Oh, and I hope the item trade comes soon. My last 3 hat unlocks have been camera beards.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Acidote said:
I finally did the shield bash achievement yesterday =)

And the Eyelander is soooooo great. Very fun.

Oh, and I hope the item trade comes soon. My last 3 hat unlocks have been camera beards.
I don't think the camera beard counts as a hat anymore. I think they bumped up the drop rate for the camera beard since it's a misc. item now.

Javaman

ydnawel said:
Every 4 hours and 17 (?) minutes, you have a 3.5714% chance of getting a random hat. The 4 hours 17 minutes is cumulative. At least, that's what I remember it as.

Oh, and I always go for random hat, because class hat takes more metal. (I hold onto duplicates for the eventual trading...)

That would make drops happen roughly every 120 hours. That sounds a lot more frequent then I've been getting them. IIRC I've only gotten the spy's beard (4 of them?!?) as a drop out of far more hours.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've been lucky enough to have around 6 random hat drops in my near 400 hours of playtime (which is not a lot by most standards). A couple of them have been duplicates, and I'm hanging onto those for trading time.

Proven

Javaman said:
You son of a #$%#%$ haaha. I'm just glad I was able to get a couple of backstabs to take some of the sting away. Regarding the ranks, I originally had them tracked on the server when mani mod was running. Mani when installed by the gameserver button never worked right though since it conflicted with source mod. When I tried to install it myself it was buggy in other ways. I think the problem was the same as I was originally having when I installed sourcemod manually, being caused by my goober self installing the i86 version instead of linux. I'll give it a shot some time down the road with the correct one, but some of the bugs will remain since the mod isn't being updated anymore. I like how much more stable the source mod one is even if it is missing a bunch of features that mani has. I need to figure out a way to improve the end of map vote. Right now there's no cancel vote button. You can let it time out, but in the mean time you can't select weapons with the number keys. I'm not sure why mod makers didn't use the F# keys. Oreo, you can still see the ranks on the server tracker website. I linked to it a couple of pages ago when I first made the server. I'll dig up the link in a bit.

Edit:http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/68.232.178.184:27015/

I'm hoping that ip is still correct. I've reinstalled the server a couple of times.

This! This has been upsetting for me too. The worst part is, it seems to be tied to your key binds for weapon switching as well as your number keys (or there's something up with tf2's key binds). For example, it was suggested to me to switch the keybinds for weapon 1, 2, and 3, to scroll up, scroll down, and scroll wheel click, to add more preciseness for one who already prefers mouse wheel for weapon switching. However, this also means that every single mod in the game uses both my number keys, as well as my scroll wheel to make choices. No matter what you do, you're blocked from weapon switching until casting your vote. Which can get you killed. Annoying...

Twig

Banned
Unrelated but sort of related: I also hate how the cancel-menu button is ZERO. Sometimes I press X instead of Z (in an effort to thank a medic for healing me!) and oops wrong menu but I either have to say something I don't want to say or reach all the way over to 0.

rar

Proven said:
This! This has been upsetting for me too. The worst part is, it seems to be tied to your key binds for weapon switching as well as your number keys (or there's something up with tf2's key binds). For example, it was suggested to me to switch the keybinds for weapon 1, 2, and 3, to scroll up, scroll down, and scroll wheel click, to add more preciseness for one who already prefers mouse wheel for weapon switching. However, this also means that every single mod in the game uses both my number keys, as well as my scroll wheel to make choices. No matter what you do, you're blocked from weapon switching until casting your vote. Which can get you killed. Annoying...

i dont think it does use whatever switches weapons. it doesnt for me. it probably just uses scroll wheel and num keys as default

i use completely different buttons/keys so i dont run into that problem anymore. im not a fan of reaching above wsad to switch weapons, the scroll wheel feels wacky, and i dont like the guesswork of switching to the last weapon equipped, so i just set straight keys/buttons for each slot. i main med so its q to heal, side mouse button for needles, and pressing the scroll wheel for melee. so its this:

bind Q slot2
bind MOUSE3 slot3
bind MOUSE4 slot1

Twig said:
Unrelated but sort of related: I also hate how the cancel-menu button is ZERO. Sometimes I press X instead of Z (in an effort to thank a medic for healing me!) and oops wrong menu but I either have to say something I don't want to say or reach all the way over to 0.

I would've sworn you can just hit z again to get rid of the menu or even just hit x to replace the menu.

Vlad

Alaskanbullworm said:
I would've sworn you can just hit z again to get rid of the menu or even just hit x to replace the menu.

If I'm remembering correctly, you just hit the same button you hit to bring the menu up in the first place to get rid of it. So if you hit C, hitting C again, will get rid of the menu, and so on.

Twig

Banned
Vlad said:
If I'm remembering correctly, you just hit the same button you hit to bring the menu up in the first place to get rid of it. So if you hit C, hitting C again, will get rid of the menu, and so on.
I try that and it doesn't work!!

Javaman

Proven said:

Worse yet, inadvertently voting for a craptastic map if you don't notice the map vote.

Javaman

rar said:
i dont think it does use whatever switches weapons. it doesnt for me. it probably just uses scroll wheel and num keys as default

i use completely different buttons/keys so i dont run into that problem anymore. im not a fan of reaching above wsad to switch weapons, the scroll wheel feels wacky, and i dont like the guesswork of switching to the last weapon equipped, so i just set straight keys/buttons for each slot. i main med so its q to heal, side mouse button for needles, and pressing the scroll wheel for melee. so its this:

bind Q slot2
bind MOUSE3 slot3
bind MOUSE4 slot1

I'm one of those crazies still using Shift/A/Z/X for movement with D for jump (Gee thanks Terminator Skynet). It's pretty rare that I use the number keys since I use "S" for next weapon. When playing spy though, it takes too long to scroll through weapons when trying to sap/kill an engineer so I use the 1-4. It's quite a bit longer of a reach though since I'm not using wasd.

rar

Boonoo said:
But quick switch! How will you ever flip back and forth between weapons speedily as your run back to the fight from spawn D:

you just alternate between between their buttons! its easy...

Javaman

Yay, new computer. I can finally kick this 6 year old POS athlon 64 to the curb. Once I get my steam games backed up externally it's time to fire this four popping bitch up.

ydnawel

Neo Member
Javaman said:
That would make drops happen roughly every 120 hours. That sounds a lot more frequent then I've been getting them. IIRC I've only gotten the spy's beard (4 of them?!?) as a drop out of far more hours.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but hat drops are different than normal drops. Normal drops drop at ~20% chance every ~25 minutes (camera beard is a normal drop btw).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Javaman said:
Yay, new computer. I can finally kick this 6 year old POS athlon 64 to the curb. Once I get my steam games backed up externally it's time to fire this four popping bitch up.
Kickass.

It looks like a lot of GAFfers are already on too.

Oreoleo

GoldandBlue said:
:lol I've crafted 6 into scrap metal and still have two.

Twig said:
I have three! O:

Jangaroo said:
I have two :eek:

Yeah guys I realize they aren't exactly rare anymore but come on, be happy for me :) This is only my 3rd random-drop hat besides the halo and ghastly gibbus. I deleted all my dupes before the crafting update and since then have only worked my way up to 1 piece of refined metal so it's gonna be a while before I can craft one.

Javaman

ydnawel said:
I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but hat drops are different than normal drops. Normal drops drop at ~20% chance every ~25 minutes (camera beard is a normal drop btw).

I'm talking about hat drops, not regular items.

Inkwell

Banned
Javaman said:
I just upgraded from my athlon 64 last week. I have an i5 750, and man what a difference it makes. Especially on those 32 player servers. Before I would get around 15-20 fps in places where there was a lot of action. I would even have low fps when I was alone on some of the new maps like the sawmill one. I have no clue what I'm getting now as I haven't checked. All I know is that it runs silky smooth.

Orellio said:
Yeah guys I realize they aren't exactly rare anymore but come on, be happy for me :) This is only my 3rd random-drop hat besides the halo and ghastly gibbus. I deleted all my dupes before the crafting update and since then have only worked my way up to 1 piece of refined metal so it's gonna be a while before I can craft one.
Besides the special hats like the ghastly gibbus and halo, I've only gotten 1 random hat drop. It's the master's yellow belt for the sniper. A class I barely play. I haven't gotten any random drops recently for however many hours I've played, so I don't think I'll be crafting one any time soon.

Jangaroo

Javaman said:
That's awesome. Make sure to post some pics.
Inkwell said:
I just upgraded from my athlon 64 last week. I have an i5 750, and man what a difference it makes. Especially on those 32 player servers. Before I would get around 15-20 fps in places where there was a lot of action. I would even have low fps when I was alone on some of the new maps like the sawmill one. I have no clue what I'm getting now as I haven't checked. All I know is that it runs silky smooth.

Besides the special hats like the ghastly gibbus and halo, I've only gotten 1 random hat drop. It's the master's yellow belt for the sniper. A class I barely play. I haven't gotten any random drops recently for however many hours I've played, so I don't think I'll be crafting one any time soon.
I will trade you my football helmet (Heavy) for that hat once trading kicks in. You know you want to ;)

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
NO

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE HAPPY

I DEMAND YOU BE MISERABLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Oreoleo

Twig said:
NO

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE HAPPY

I DEMAND YOU BE MISERABLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Um, I kinda am, generally speaking :\ Playing TF2 with you guys on the new server is the happiest I've been in the past few weeks for sure.

rar

story

i play medic

i only like 1 medic hat - the ornithologist's mirror

i waited about 6 years to find items to craft a medic hat

i had a 1 in 3 chance of crafting the mirror

AND I DID IT, I CRAFTED AN ORNITHOLOGIST'S MIRROR

IOHGKJRHkiohkjwehtaUQIHG8RY7HGwjienKJHUIHAW89jioh899

Boonoo

rar said:
story

i play medic

i only like 1 medic hat - the ornithologist's mirror

i waited about 6 years to find items to craft a medic hat

i had a 1 in 3 chance of crafting the mirror

AND I DID IT, I CRAFTED AN ORNITHOLOGIST'S MIRROR

IOHGKJRHkiohkjwehtaUQIHG8RY7HGwjienKJHUIHAW89jioh899

Hey! good on you. Too bad deep down you know that you really wanted the Prussian Pickelhaube. Don't be too sad.

Boonoo

I turned my two hatless into the Fro! That works for me. I really don't think that trading is going to ever show up in any real form.

Jangaroo

Boonoo said:
I turned my two hatless into the Fro! That works for me. I really don't think that trading is going to ever show up in any real form.
Don't say that, you gotta believe!

Boonoo

Jangaroo said:
Don't say that, you gotta believe!

Ha! I've been thinking about it, and how would it even work? I can't imagine it being in game, servers would turn into goddamn Orgrimmar. Maybe an out of game system like with the Pokemon games. It just seems so far fetched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom