• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Blizzard said:
Huh. I just had a crazy back-to-1999 thought -- would it be theoretically possible with some of these games to convert part of the folder structure (like the map/data files for TF2) into symbolic links to a ramdisk? If I upgraded to 6GB instead of 4GB I might be able to have 2GB or so of data for quick loading.

Probably not worth the effort, but it's an entertaining thought.

I read an article not too long ago about using symbolic links with steam in win7 in order to make use of an SSD drive. Steam gets installed on the SSD and any games that you don't want sped up (due to SSD size limitations) get installed on a standard drive with symbolic links pointing there instead of the SSD. Sounds like a lot of annoyance though. Hopefully steam will eventually let us choose which drives we install games on. I'd love to be able to right click and choose a new drive, with steam doing all the work.

rar

hey java

imo you should turn off adverts on the server.. those are the little annoying messages that popup and display silly information on the screen like "Server Tick Rate: 66" and "http://www.mani-admin-plugin.com" at certain intervals.

to do this you can either put "mani_adverts 0" in mani_server.cfg to turn them all off, or you can edit them directly in adverts.txt in cfg/mani_admin_plugin

Javaman

rar said:
hey java

imo you should turn off adverts on the server.. those are the little annoying messages that popup and display silly information on the screen like "Server Tick Rate: 66" and "http://www.mani-admin-plugin.com" at certain intervals.

to do this you can either put "mani_adverts 0" in mani_server.cfg to turn them all off, or you can edit them directly in adverts.txt in cfg/mani_admin_plugin

Done.

I'm going to be a little late getting on tonight (maybe 8:30ish)

If anyone doesn't like the map, type rtv into chat. Also end of round voting should be enabled.
Cashworks rc2 is on there now too.

ILikeFeet

Banned
been playing some TF today for the first time. its really fun (even if I seem to suck). weird thing is from time to time, I seem to lose control of my character and it starts spazzing out when I try to move. why is this?

Javaman

Yeah, that was a blast.

Turns out that trying to slap someone causes the server to crash. Another bug I noticed is that the host won't let people DL maps if they are above a certain size (50megs I think)

Good gaming tonight everyone!

Javaman

If anyone wants reserve status just zip me a pm or steam chat with your steam id. It usually isn't a problem finding a spot on the server(lolz), but tonight it got pretty full from 11+

I wouldn't mind making this a regular thing around 9 or 10pm eastern every night.

We could use a several more admins so if anyone wants a go just send me the same info. I trust most of you TF2 regulars.

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
Yeah, that was a blast.

Turns out that trying to slap someone causes the server to crash. Another bug I noticed is that the host won't let people DL maps if they are above a certain size (50megs I think)

Good gaming tonight everyone!
Justice.

Inkwell

Banned
I had fun for the little bit I played on the server last night. I got booted for not having cashworks rc2. I ended up downloading it, but by the time I did over half of the people were gone. Is there a list of the custom maps on the server somewhere?

Javaman

Inkwell said:
I had fun for the little bit I played on the server last night. I got booted for not having cashworks rc2. I ended up downloading it, but by the time I did over half of the people were gone. Is there a list of the custom maps on the server somewhere?

So far it's just cashworks, but I'll put a couple of the other ones you guys recommended on there tonight. Keep in mind that the server host (gameservers.com) has a limit on the size of maps to be downloaded, at least that's what the server logs said. I believe it is around 50megs or so. There's a way to redirect downloads to a private server but I hadn't looked into that yet since I don't have any private ftps or sites set up.

Someone suggested that I turn on the "tf_use_fixed_weaponspreads" flag. "It makes shotguns have a consistant spread, the spread pattern turns into a box instead of random scatter." What do you guys think? I'm thinking I'd rather keep it the same more natural default spread.

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
So far it's just cashworks, but I'll put a couple of the other ones you guys recommended on there tonight. Keep in mind that the server host (gameservers.com) has a limit on the size of maps to be downloaded, at least that's what the server logs said. I believe it is around 50megs or so. There's a way to redirect downloads to a private server but I hadn't looked into that yet since I don't have any private ftps or sites set up.

Someone suggested that I turn on the "tf_use_fixed_weaponspreads" flag. "It makes shotguns have a consistant spread, the spread pattern turns into a box instead of random scatter." What do you guys think? I'm thinking I'd rather keep it the same more natural default spread.
Don't mess with the actual gameplay. ]:

Inkwell

Banned
Javaman said:
OK. As long as we have a list of what maps to download you don't necessarily have to host any of them on a ftp or anything like that.

Javaman said:
I would prefer the default setting as well.

Boonoo

Javaman said:

I fucking love the even spread. It makes all manner of shotgun slightly more predictable, and in the end gives them a slight buff (by doing away with that measure of randomness). I really like it as a scout. It's used in standard comp settings.

Here's a video about it. Here's another with scouts instead of heavies.

At the very least I think it's worth trying out for a bit.

Edit! Here's what I was looking for. This is a great post on what changing the spread pattern does. It's worth reading before you make up your mind one way or the other.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Boonoo said:
I mean I'm not saying that we should try and emulate comp or anything, just that this is where it's used, if anyone was wondering.

It would be interesting to try. Scouts will be running amuck, nailing Medics like nothing, because no one knows to protect their medics to begin with. :lol

The Engie buff for the shotgun would be welcomed, allowing you to kill Spies more easily with the focused spray.

I don't necessarily care about the random element in this sort of environment. In a metagame, and competitive play, removing certain elements of luck is an asset for sure.

Javaman

Rapstah said:
I keep joining the server as soon as I see someone posting in this thread. I've yet to see one person on it. :(

To kickstart it you've got to send out a bunch of invites. Either that or wait till the evening when it usually fills up.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Javaman said:
Sorry to bail, wife and kids got home early.
Oh no no, obligations take priority. If there isn't a game going on tonight I can just tag along tomorrow evening.
Edit: So I'm in a bit of a pickle. My control settings got reset and I forgot what sensitivity I used. Would anybody hear like to share their sensitivity? I think I used to use 2.3800 but it felt really awkward in game.

Boonoo

Jangaroo said:
Oh no no, obligations take priority. If there isn't a game going on tonight I can just tag along tomorrow evening.
Edit: So I'm in a bit of a pickle. My control settings got reset and I forgot what sensitivity I used. Would anybody hear like to share their sensitivity? I think I used to use 2.3800 but it felt really awkward in game.

I use 1.3ish for scout at 1600 dpi and 2200 dpi for soldier. It took some getting used to, though. I used to play at 20ish.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Boonoo said:
I use 1.3ish for scout at 1600 dpi and 2200 dpi for soldier. It took some getting used to, though. I used to play at 20ish.
I'm assuming you use a gaming mouse? I have a really cruddy generic Microsoft mouse but 1.3 seems to be pretty good. Thanks for that. Anyone else want to share theirs?

Boonoo

Jangaroo said:
I'm assuming you use a gaming mouse? I have a really cruddy generic Microsoft mouse but 1.3 seems to be pretty good. Thanks for that. Anyone else want to share theirs?

Yeah.

Here's a pretty nice write up on mouse stuff for TF2. Turning off acceleration took some getting used to.

Oreoleo

Jangaroo said:

3.8 @ 1800dpi

Comparing to Boonoo's, probably explains why I'm so shit at Scout.

Javaman

I'm totally redoing the server. For whatever reason the sourcemod and mani mods are borked if the host installs them. Maybe they are running older versions or something but I could never get all the bugs out. I tried going with the sourcemod install they offer and manually doing the mani mod which was a bit more successful, but still with annoying glitches. This time I'm going to do it all manually.

Boonoo

Javaman said:
I'm totally redoing the server. For whatever reason the sourcemod and mani mods are borked if the host installs them. Maybe they are running older versions or something but I could never get all the bugs out. I tried going with the sourcemod install they offer and manually doing the mani mod which was a bit more successful, but still with annoying glitches. This time I'm going to do it all manually.

Which are you going with this time? Something real pared down and simplistic seems like it would work well. I'm not sure what they're using but the sourceop servers seem to have a good set up. I like their map voting process; towards the end of the round it says what map will be next and what map you'll get if you vote the next map down. So in the end it's a stable rotation of maps with the possibility of skipping a single map at a time.

Javaman

Boonoo said:
Which are you going with this time? Something real pared down and simplistic seems like it would work well. I'm not sure what they're using but the sourceop servers seem to have a good set up. I like their map voting process; towards the end of the round it says what map will be next and what map you'll get if you vote the next map down. So in the end it's a stable rotation of maps with the possibility of skipping a single map at a time.

Yeah, the problem was that the voting took place, but it didn't change the nextmap. Also rtv wouldn't work since it said that the map was already chosen.

Here's what I've been dealing with so far tonight. So Fucking stupid...

1. Reinstalled server to new condition
2. Noticed that the Metamod and Mani mod were still installed
3. manually removed them from the addons folder
4. manually installed metamod (needed for mani or source mod) per the instructions on metamod's site. Piece of cake
5. created the .vdf per metamod's site and put it in the proper location.
6. restarted server and ran "meta version" from the console which gave a not installed error (for meta which is the hook to run source mod)
7. removed what I added and then clicked gameserver's button to install metamod on the server.
8. nothing showed up in the addon's folder (where originally the server would install metamod)
9. Wants to shoot the server.

At this point there's one more thing I can try but failing that I might need to go with the halfass working setup that I had before.

Yeah, my goal is just a simple setup with auto map voting, rtv, possibly stats and kick/ban.
It should be back up and running in about an hour.

Sciz

162889.png

woo

Next time, Xandor, next time.

Twig

Banned
Sciz is a baller, tried and true.

I think I prefer playing this game with about 10 people per team. It's less frustrating when I suck. But I am slowly remembering how to play after my short hiatus. Hopefully it won't matter soon. O:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom