• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
Blizzard said:
That and Egypt, but at least doublecross. I think it's less stalemate-y and more fun than 2fort, maybe.
I have great love in my heart for 2fort, but Double Cross is f'ing fantastic. One of my ctf favorites.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
TheOneGuy said:
double cross is great

2fort and egypt are stains on the asshole of TF2

keep that shit out kthx
2fort can be fun every once in a while. Just as long as the intel requirement is lowered it's all good.

Oreoleo

Jangaroo said:
2fort can be fun every once in a while. Just as long as the intel requirement is lowered it's all good.

2fort is fine as long as you cap the max number of snipers and more importantly engineers.

JavaMava

Hey whats the name of the server so I can join?

Also I've been playing around this last month with HAMMER trying to make some maps. I don't have anything worth wild yet, but if I do in the future could I send it to you Javaman and if you like it maybe throw it into rotation one night so I might get some feedback?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Orellio said:
2fort is fine as long as you cap the max number of snipers and more importantly engineers.
Okay, that too. I'd probably say capping engineers is the most important. Having two engineers building in the intel room and another two covering the stairs makes that map nigh impossible.

Javaman

Botolf said:
I have great love in my heart for 2fort, but Double Cross is f'ing fantastic. One of my ctf favorites.

I'll be sure to add that one. What's the name of the custom PL map that has the vault at the end and the zig-zag downhill between cp1 and cp2?

I should have done this months ago instead of the day that BFBC2 comes out. :lol :lol

Sorry about the server reboot last night guys. It wouldn't let me change the mp_timelimit from the console so I had to change the server.cfg manually. I must have forgotten to uncheck the auto-reboot box on the host's configuration page. Javanub :eek:P

JavaMava said:
Hey whats the name of the server so I can join?

Also I've been playing around this last month with HAMMER trying to make some maps. I don't have anything worth wild yet, but if I do in the future could I send it to you Javaman and if you like it maybe throw it into rotation one night so I might get some feedback?

I'm game for anything. Keep in mind though that custom maps tend to clear out servers. There's not much of a following yet with this server so it would be best to try something crazy out as people are already dwindling for the night.

Javaman

borsdy said:
YGPM javaman

Thanks for the feedback borsdy. Currently the server is running Mani Mod. It seems the primary configuration file doesn't get installed with the rest of ManiMod by gameservers.com for some reason. Most of the voting and admin functionality is there, but it's still missing some stuff like stat tracking and auto end of round map voting. That's a good idea about opening up dead chat. There's probably a simple switch in the cfg. which will allow that.

Hey Java! I haven't visited this thread in forever and saw you've created a server. That's incredible.

I need to get back into this game after all the talk of Steam coming to Mac.

Javaman

omgimaninja said:
Hey Java! I haven't visited this thread in forever and saw you've created a server. That's incredible.

I need to get back into this game after all the talk of Steam coming to Mac.

Ah thank god. I can finally stop playing medic. :eek:P

Proven

Javaman said:
Ah thank god. I can finally stop playing medic. :eek:P

Hey! I pick up slack at times too!

Honestly, Medic's my best class. I just have a weakness for charge effects like the Buff Banner, damage over time like the Pyro, and support effects like what the Heavy provides. That, and unless I'm seeing my name appear in a white background constantly on my screen, I feel like I should switch class.

JoeFu

Banned
So I have new internets now. I get like 23mbps so no matter how much Taiwanese news my parents watch I should be able to play almost lag free. I haven't played TF2 in ages and I can't wait to start playing again!

Pulled one of these yesterday. So satisfying. :lol

3312hox.jpg

Boonoo

We should plan a GAF game to kick the new server off. Maybe post it on the gaming side, since so few people read Online.

Javaman

Good idea! Let's shoot for tomorrow though. It'll give us more time to get the word out and I'm totally beat down right now. I spent the day at the Fire Academy crawling through muck looking for headless victims and putting out fires. :lol I'm not going to be worth a shit tonight at all.

Oreoleo

Javaman said:
8pm Est tomorrow for epic craziness and combobulated killin'

Sweet. Running any better?

Yeah, its kind of incredible that in 2 1/2 years I can pay half the price my 8800GTS was and get a smaller, cooler, quieter, more efficient card that wipes the floor with what the 8800 could do. Upgrading computers is fun :D Even though I was forced to upgrade, my 8800 still kind-of works (kind of). I wonder if I'd be able to use it as a PhysX card now..

Unfortunately I'm gonna be working tomorrow night so once again I'm not gonna be able to play with you guys :(

Twig

Banned
man i am drunk and all excited to play tf2 and no one is on java's server

how sad ]:;;;;;edit:i do not have seven or is it eight pairs of eyes no it's seven for a total of fourteen that is just an especially expressive drunken emoticon thankscrap it's actually six

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
TheOneGuy said:

how sad ]:;;;;;edit:i do not have seven or is it eight pairs of eyes no it's seven for a total of fourteen that is just an especially expressive drunken emoticon thankscrap it's actually six

I don't think he's every posted anything good. Glad I have him on ignore.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TheOneGuy said:

We had around 7 people on it earlier tonight at 6-9pm EST, but it rapidly declined around 8:30pm, when it was 1v1 Melee Only Battles. :lol

I probably won't be able to make it to the game tonight, as I won't be near a computer. Have fun though guys!

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
I can see the headline tomorrow: "Twig drinks alcohol, is cool" :p
I... shut up!
LAUGHTREY said:
I don't think he's every posted anything good. Glad I have him on ignore.
I... what?
EvilMario said:
We had around 7 people on it earlier tonight at 6-9pm EST, but it rapidly declined around 8:30pm, when it was 1v1 Melee Only Battles. :lol

I probably won't be able to make it to the game tonight, as I won't be near a computer. Have fun though guys!
I... oh. ):

Javaman

EvilMario said:

The hard part is getting it up to 10 or so people. Once it gets to that "critical mass" it fills up pretty quick with pubbies.

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
The hard part is getting it up to 10 or so people. Once it gets to that "critical mass" it fills up pretty quick with pubbies.
Have you looked into reserved slots for us GAFfers, yet? O:

Twig

Banned
good a place as any:

Anyone have any tricks for speeding up map loading in TF2 and Source games in general? It's the one big thing I absolutely hate about Source. Shit takes forever. Playing Portal and doing those challenges is frustrating in large part just because every time I mess up I have to reload the map and it takes tens of seconds, which while not long for a one-time load, really adds up and drives me insane.

There are also all those times I load a map in TF2 only to have the map change and then have to load another map. That's fun, too!

Kade

TheOneGuy said:
good a place as any:

Anyone have any tricks for speeding up map loading in TF2 and Source games in general? It's the one big thing I absolutely hate about Source. Shit takes forever. Playing Portal and doing those challenges is frustrating in large part just because every time I mess up I have to reload the map and it takes tens of seconds, which while not long for a one-time load, really adds up and drives me insane.

There are also all those times I load a map in TF2 only to have the map change and then have to load another map. That's fun, too!

I have this problem too. In the L4D and L4D2 versions of the engine, it loads super fast but everything else is slow as shit.

Twig

Banned
dygiT said:
I have this problem too. In the L4D and L4D2 versions of the engine, it loads super fast but everything else is slow as shit.
Yeah, those games actually do load pretty fast. I'd forgotten. ]:

Oreoleo

TheOneGuy said:
good a place as any:

Buy an SSD, basically.
Edit an hour later: Or get a new Mobo with one of them new Sata 6.0Gbps ports.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
JoeFu said:
So I have new internets now. I get like 23mbps so no matter how much Taiwanese news my parents watch I should be able to play almost lag free. I haven't played TF2 in ages and I can't wait to start playing again!
About friggin time!

Edit: Where's Panic, Java? Panic!!

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
Buy an SSD, basically.
Edit an hour later: Or get a new Mobo with one of them new Sata 6.0Gbps ports.
hummmm

Actually I think you might be onto something. I think the hard drive is my biggest limiter. It's rather old.

HUMMMM

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
New SATA port won't matter, what does is the HDD.
Huh. I just had a crazy back-to-1999 thought -- would it be theoretically possible with some of these games to convert part of the folder structure (like the map/data files for TF2) into symbolic links to a ramdisk? If I upgraded to 6GB instead of 4GB I might be able to have 2GB or so of data for quick loading.

Probably not worth the effort, but it's an entertaining thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom