• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
It's an official map, I'm surprised it's not there already.

Doublecross is actually one of my favorite maps. I like CTF when it's done right. (2fort is not done right.)

Javaman

fallout said:
Can we get ctf_doublecross going on the server, Java? I know most people don't really care for CTF maps, but I played it on another server last night and it really is fantastic.

Done. It should show up in rtv at random, or admins (Neroh, Boonoo, or RAR) can add it to a mapvote or immediately change it.

I was away yesterday and earlier today, so when I saw that you can craft Camera Beards as hats now I knew I would craft my second Beard with my second Stainless Pot. Since the update I needed to get the little brain slug hat. Figured I'd have a 1/40 or so chance to get it when I crafted those two together. I kinda figured I had no chance to get it since the past few days have been shitty for me.

But I got it!

2m77u2s.jpg

Oh man, I'm really happy now!

Instro

fallout said:
Can we get ctf_doublecross going on the server, Java? I know most people don't really care for CTF maps, but I played it on another server last night and it really is fantastic.

Yeah doublecross is my favorite CTF map, great fun.

Swag

Just picked this up off Steam :D. Is there an idiots guide to TF2 somewhere online that I can read before I get into the game and make a complete ass of myself?

Twig

Banned
Wait, I thought the rail spike was a soldier weapon. Is it BOTH?

Speaking of taunts that look wrong. Sniper doesn't take his hat off for rifle taunt unless he has default hat. Been like that since the first hat update. ):

Swag

Can anyone tell me how I connect to the GAF server? I searched in the server list but nothing came up when I put in "NeoGaf" and the IP

Oreoleo

Sebulon3k said:
Can anyone tell me how I connect to the GAF server? I searched in the server list but nothing came up when I put in "NeoGaf" and the IP

IP: 68.232.178.184:27015

You can either add it to your favorite servers list in Steam or use the console and type 'connect 68.232.178.184:27015' to join automatically.

Edit: You can't really "search" in the server browser the way you are trying to.

Boonoo

Orellio said:
IP: 68.232.178.184:27015

You can either add it to your favorite servers list in Steam or use the console and type 'connect 68.232.178.184:27015' to join automatically.

Edit: You can't really "search" in the server browser the way you are trying to.

Which is a bummer, as it would be real helpful. The best you can do search by name is bring up the whole list and sort by name and hope you find it there.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sebulon, if you really want to learn quickly, just come on and watch us play. We're by no means all-stars...except for goddamn boonoo when he's a scout (more like a cockroach that you can't kill) :/ , but just watch and learn. It took me about 3-4 days to get the basics of all the classes, a week to be of any real use to the team, and months and months to consistently get MVP at the end of the round. And even then, you might not be able to kill boonoo... 'practice' he says....

Worse comes to worse, go medic, heal someone, watch them play, hit 'right click' when your uber is charged (meter reaches 100%), and you can have at least a minimal impact on the team since so few people go medic.

As well, just go on those instaspawn servers, I think freefrag.com is one of them, so even if you die, you're back out there spending more time getting used to stuff. Additionally, those instaspawn servers are usually filled with n00bs so even if you mess up, nobody really notices anyways (I love going there just to piss everyone off by backstabbing them as a spy because few people pay attention).

Today I got my first random hat. Ended up with the Baseball Bill's Sports Shine. :lol Decided to craft it with the Camera Beard and ended up with this:

w8rszn.jpg

:D Pretty happy with that. So now I have this and the Brigade helmet I crafted before.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm going to be That Guy just for a second, and say about random item drops:

I didn't really care about the hat drops, since hey, every once in a while (or never, if you're some people), you get a hat. They don't affect the gameplay. You can earn the weapons if you don't have them, so you aren't stuck without a weapon and no way to obtain it.

Except now that's the case with some of the new weapons, even if they presumably aren't very good. It's not something where people can earn perks to unlock. It's just...literally, there could be someone on the other team with a certain weapon, and you can't get it. Ever. Unless you randomly are given it.

The other thing that makes me sad about the newer unlocks is that the rate doesn't seem to be any higher (played a few hours over the weekend, including an hour or two today, got maybe one item in that time period) for me, despite some other people getting like 5 hats and 10 items lately. Furthermore, say I want to play TF2 with my friends, and I look at my Steam friends list. Right now, if I counted correctly 4/9 of the friends currently in TF2 are in idle servers. That percentage might have been higher earlier.

So not only does the percentage not seem higher, not only can you not get gameplay-affecting items unless you're lucky, not only does there not seem to be much reward for playing a couple of hours and being near the top of the charts, but it's hard to figure out which friends are actually playing because more people sit in idle servers to get the items. It's their business that they do it (and I think it's sort of silly that it works), but I don't want to have to defriend people to filter. :p

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
I'm going to be That Guy just for a second, and say about random item drops:

I didn't really care about the hat drops, since hey, every once in a while (or never, if you're some people), you get a hat. They don't affect the gameplay. You can earn the weapons if you don't have them, so you aren't stuck without a weapon and no way to obtain it.

Except now that's the case with some of the new weapons, even if they presumably aren't very good. It's not something where people can earn perks to unlock. It's just...literally, there could be someone on the other team with a certain weapon, and you can't get it. Ever. Unless you randomly are given it.

The other thing that makes me sad about the newer unlocks is that the rate doesn't seem to be any higher (played a few hours over the weekend, including an hour or two today, got maybe one item in that time period) for me, despite some other people getting like 5 hats and 10 items lately. Furthermore, say I want to play TF2 with my friends, and I look at my Steam friends list. Right now, if I counted correctly 4/9 of the friends currently in TF2 are in idle servers. That percentage might have been higher earlier.

So not only does the percentage not seem higher, not only can you not get gameplay-affecting items unless you're lucky, not only does there not seem to be much reward for playing a couple of hours and being near the top of the charts, but it's hard to figure out which friends are actually playing because more people sit in idle servers to get the items. It's their business that they do it (and I think it's sort of silly that it works), but I don't want to have to defriend people to filter. :p
I just idled for 7.5 hours and didn't get one single drop :(

Twig

Banned
Tisan said:
I don't get why people idle. It wastes so much power D:
Just play the damn game, have some fun and if you're lucky you'll get items.
Because you get items faster than if you don't idle!

I stopped idling once they announced they were going to fix the drop system to treat PLAYERS better than IDLERS. But there hasn't been any news on that since then. I may start idling again. S:

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tisan said:

I don't idle, mostly because it screws up my statistics. And yes, I don't leave my computer running, in a game, while I'm at work. It doesn't change the fact that the drop system is the one really ugly black eye on the 'game of forever' though.

commissar

I think they have fixed the drop rate with these new items though.
Today I played for about 30 mins and saw maybe four or five drops come through for some randoms I was playing with.

Oreoleo

Tisan said:

Does it use as much power when you are alt-tabbed out of the game? Serious question because I usually am when I'm idling. Also I was at work all day so it's not like I was choosing to idle instead of actually playing, that would be stupid. Also also, as Sciz pointed out a few pages back, idle in spectator mode so it won't mess up your stats :p

Twig

Banned
I guarantee the drop rate is the same as it was before, except maybe they've actually eliminated idling as a possibility... somehow. Assuming Oreo's experience isn't a fluke.

But their words implied that the drop rate would ALSO be INCREASED.

commissar

Orellio said:
Also I was at work all day
I don't get you people. I leave the house, everything is turned off. Hell, I go to sleep it's turned off.

And to answer your Q, no it shouldn't use as much as playing, as the video card isn't actively drawing anything 3d afaik. I just notice if I tab out of games the fan still runs at a higher rate on my pc.
Then again I'm thinking to upgrade from a 4850 to a 5xxx series because of efficiency, so maybe I'm obsessed :/

Twig: I got 14 items this weekend after the update. I played about 10 hours or so, but still that's quite a jump.

Sciz

Orellio said:
Also also, as Sciz pointed out a few pages back, idle in spectator mode so it won't mess up your stats :p
I play enough as is, no idling necessary.

In related news, my last three drops have been Sandviches. I'm pretty sure they'll craft into scrap metal, and the thought horrifies me.

Oreoleo

Sciz said:
I play enough as is, no idling necessary.

*goes back a startling number of pages*

Oh, I guess that was Boonoo that said that. Which makes sense since he actually idles all the time. My bad.

Boonoo

Tisan said:

I textmode idle using my netbook on low power mode; I doubt it uses up to terribly much power.

Also, there's no need to worry about stats, as you can idle in spectator mode.

I just really don't see a downside to idling; the drop system is bogus as is, so I don't feel any remorse in exploiting it. I don't care about any of the extra weapons (I think I might use 6 out of the 26 or so available, and only one of those is on a class I regularly play (the equalizer).
But the hats are fun to have, and I'd like to get one that I actually enjoy on my two mains (scout and soldier--so far I only have the bonk helmet, which I don't particularly like), so I idle for it.

I'd love it if Valve gave some alternative hat drop methods. Getting all the achievements for a class would be a great way to get a hat. Super farmable, sure. But I haven't farmed any achievements, those are fun to get naturally.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Twig said:
Because you get items faster than if you don't idle!

I stopped idling once they announced they were going to fix the drop system to treat PLAYERS better than IDLERS. But there hasn't been any news on that since then. I may start idling again. S:
Might as well make use of the time when you're not playing.

I haven't had a single drop in like the last 10 hours of playtime. I'm tempted to enter an idling server before i head to bed...

I want a Futurama brain slug dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom