• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
Tisan said:
Those two shots show us about 6 pixels of actual winter :|
I went for humour, not truth in advertising!

'Sides, there's not much snow or ice (except in the pond) to take a picture of. Needs moar snow like Viaduct.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm...interesting how much thought they're putting into this Engie update...

Never thought a repair node could cause so much stress among your teammates; however, I'd argue that your team OUGHT TO FUCKING SPAH CHECK! Ugh, last night I had a pretty aggravating time building my stupid teles up only to have ONE spy go around and take it down due to sheer team incompetence.

I 'd still like a robo dog sentry, but it likely wouldn't fit the universe and would cause some balance issue if I had a walking lvl 1 sentry gun (though maybe I would have to transform and sit down before firing and transform and stand up before moving).

Boonoo

So apparently there's a new way to idle that's just come about.

You add this to your launch options. "-nosound -textmode +connect serverIP:serverPort" (just stick in an idle server's info) and you more or less run the game in a text window.

Seems like it could work pretty well! And it doesn't seem like it's against the rules.

Javaman

Boonoo said:
So apparently there's a new way to idle that's just come about.

You add this to your launch options. "-nosound -textmode +connect serverIP:serverPort" (just stick in an idle server's info) and you more or less run the game in a text window.

Seems like it could work pretty well! And it doesn't seem like it's against the rules.

Wouldn't someone just time out after a couple of minutes or is that just for idle servers?

Boonoo

Javaman said:
Wouldn't someone just time out after a couple of minutes or is that just for idle servers?

Just for idle servers. the text box displays what your console would normally.
idleplus.jpg

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
The best punishment would be them revamping the item drop system to reward play more than idling.
They did say they're going to do that already in one of the more recent blog posts.

Damned if I feel like looking it up now, though.

I have all the hats I need for now, though, so whatever. Besides, even if they right now can't detect this way of idling, they'll figure it out, and then we'll be wrongfully punished again. O:

Boonoo

Twig said:
They did say they're going to do that already in one of the more recent blog posts.

Damned if I feel like looking it up now, though.

I have all the hats I need for now, though, so whatever. Besides, even if they right now can't detect this way of idling, they'll figure it out, and then we'll be wrongfully punished again. O:

Here's this
eXtine: The implementation of random drops caught people off-guard and many were upset with the system’s initial implementation. With the crafting system now in place and players at least having a Halo, Beret, or a Halloween hat, the uproar has died down. It’s also great to see the release of unique items as rewards to community members making positive changes for the game. What does the future hold for TF2’s item system?

Robin: We're going to tune the drop rates a bit next. The goals around the tuning are to reduce the value of idling, and to increase the amount of items being found. Now that we have crafting, we'd like to give everyone more opportunities to do it. Beyond that, our next two high level pieces are item trading, and ways for custom content creators to get their items into the system.

From here.

Twig

Banned
Ah, maybe that's where I saw it. Quote looks really familiar.

edit: goddamnit every time i see your avatar i stare at it for like 10 seconds

Sibylus

Banned
Regarding tuning, maybe in the future the drop rates will drop off to zero if you stop performing in-game actions (killing, healing others, healing yourself, refilling ammo, dispensing metal, etc). Increased/full rates will go to those performing these actions, or those who are playing.

Inkwell

Banned
Botolf said:
Regarding tuning, maybe in the future the drop rates will drop off to zero if you stop performing in-game actions (killing, healing others, healing yourself, refilling ammo, dispensing metal, etc). Increased/full rates will go to those performing these actions, or those who are playing.
You know, I thought about this from the start. I figured there was a reason they hadn't implemented a system like this.

Twig

Banned
I think it's obvious from the wording that they're going to increase the drop rate a lot.

Personally I'm more interested in when/how they're going to start implementing all that custom content. The contribution site has been up a while, with no word on it since it went up.

Sibylus

Banned
Inkwell said:
You know, I thought about this from the start. I figured there was a reason they hadn't implemented a system like this.
Probably requires locking out replication of such actions by a new and fancier idle server.

Sciz

Inkwell said:
It's a lot easier to just toss a few numbers into the RNG every few hours than it is to put together dynamic rates based on activity.

Yasae

Banned
Javaman said:
I'm surprised that more people don't play medic. It's super easy to land at the top of the scoreboard if their E-peen needs it.
It is. My e-peen demands nothing, it's large enough.

But I might as well leave this here...

cp_dustbowl0344.jpg

Twig

Banned
Orbitcube said:
Hawt. Would be nice if we could see what the new stuff was, but I guess that sort of adds to mystery I suppose.
Drake is looking at it in Garry's Mod now. So if you wanna see it for yourself you could do that.

Some images, though the positioning isn't exact since they spawn separate from character in Gmod.

demoman: Pimp hat for Demo
demor.png

pyro: Pyro has a little green alien sucking on his head
alien.png

engineer: Engineer has an iron welding mask with red flames on it
medic: Medic has a surgeon's facemask with a Medic symbol on it, lame
scout: Scout has a red/blue hoodie, lame
soldier: fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
fffffuuuuuuuu.png

spy: Spy has a 17th century (or whatever) white wig
sniper: Sniper has an explorer's pith helmet
pith.png

4444380960_426efaf6d8_b.jpg

Twig

Banned
I... I stand corrected.

7:06 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: Wait what the fuck
7:06 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: The weapons have stats
7:06 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: They're new weapons
7:06 PM - ZE TWIGGINATOR: whuuuut
7:06 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: Hammer is Pyro's
7:07 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: Apparently 100% damage against buildings
7:07 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: -75% damage against people
7:07 PM - ZE TWIGGINATOR: that's
7:07 PM - ZE TWIGGINATOR: ................awesome?
7:07 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: Soldier's thing
7:07 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: Makes him count as 2 people on a cap
7:07 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: But he takes 10% more damage from bullets
7:07 PM - ZE TWIGGINATOR stares

Squash

rar said:
i dont understand this. ubering a decent solly is usually as effective as with a demo or a heavy, unless in a situation where theres multiple sentries. you can kill at least one sentry, jump and kill a medic, or do alot of spam damage, and the solly can actually get out and keep you alive, where a heavy or a demo cant protect you nearly as well before or after

I haven't had much luck with ubering soldiers, but that's just my experience. I've played a lot of rounds popping ubers and getting nowhere. It gets especially tiresome when you play on servers where donators immune to autobalance tend to stack teams and you get stuck on the other side.

Sibylus

Banned
Thinking about it, the Homewrecker could be a real boon for Pyros (like myself) who like to join an offensive rush alongside a Heavy and Medic pair. Quickly clear the path of Engineer equipment, the Heavy will save his ammunition for live foes and you can help protect/extinguish his Medic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom