• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Apparently it's mostly useless (100% building damage, -25% people damage...does that mean not any more damage than the axe?), but it still looks cool. Finally got an item tonight:

25zkm0o.jpg

Sciz

rar said:
valve should steal that and prophunt and make them into official modes
We can only hope. Nothing else in TF2 is as tense and hilarious as Prophunt.

Fun games tonight, everyone. I don't think I've ever seen Goldrush 3-2 defended that well that close to 3-1.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Blizzard said:
Apparently it's mostly useless (100% building damage, -25% people damage...does that mean not any more damage than the axe?), but it still looks cool. Finally got an item tonight:

Other melee weapons do less damage to buildings. The Homewrecker destroys a level 3 sentry in 2 hits.

Blizzard

Banned
Iadien said:
Other melee weapons do less damage to buildings. The Homewrecker destroys a level 3 sentry in 2 hits.
Huh. I could have sworn 2 hits didn't kill a L2, but it might have been under repair. 2 hits killed a teleporter entrance which was nice...sometimes it can take a few seconds for a pyro to kill those (or so it seems to me).

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
It seems like the sledge might be good in very specific circumstances. For instance, recently on Doublecross, I was making my escape with the intel with an equalizer and low health, ran into an SG facing out the sewer tunnel. Two hits and it went down before it fully turned around and I was gone, giggling all the while. Some bastard sniper shot me in the back though.

But I'm not sure if the lvl 3 SG was at full health or not, and I came up directly behind it in a tunnel. I don't know, could a non-buffed pyro get close enough to two shot an SG? Melee can be so finicky when your ping gets higher, but that's between players. Hm. I dunno, an unattended SG where you can get close enough to melee it more than once before it pushes you away and you die seems like it might be too an unusual circumstance to justify not using an axtinguisher. But it'd certainly be fun to try. Probably.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Meh, again, you'd have to get close enough to a sentry gun first before it could blow you back. Then, you'd have to worry about the engie fixing it. Still, I'd like to give it a try myself first.

rar

first of all, the homewrecker shouldnt be a pyro weapon

the demoman shouldve gotten a melee weapon that does massive damage to buildings. and it shouldve been 'the wrecking ball'

whenever you take it out, it increases your weight to reduce sentry knockback. you can also take it out while in midflight to fall faster

as a drawback it swings very slowly, you move a bit slower when you have it out, and it doesnt do much damage to players

Boonoo

rar said:

the demoman shouldve gotten a melee weapon that does massive damage to buildings. and it shouldve been 'the wrecking ball'

whenever you take it out, it increases your weight to reduce sentry knockback. you can also take it out while in midflight to fall faster

as a drawback it swings very slowly, you move a bit slower when you have it out, and it doesnt do much damage to players

That would have been brutal alongside the chargin targe.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
rar said:

Yeah, this would've worked much better with the targe. Combine all three with an uber or buff and sentries could be taken down a lot easier than pyro charging in.

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Yeah, this would've worked much better with the targe. Combine all three with an uber or buff and sentries could be taken down a lot easier than pyro charging in.

It won't matter once the engie gets his airblast sentry.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Pyros are great at circle even Level 3 sentries with the Flamethrower (and thus destroying), all while killing the Engie most times as well.. but I can't speak to the effectiveness of the Homewrecker yet.. because random drops hate me. Neither really helps charging directly at it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It would really love it if the engineer could do damage by blowing up buildings, the larger the building, and the higher level, the more damage. ie; if you're away from the sentry and the spy applies a sapper, blow up the sentry and kill him. Thus if the spy sapper manages to destroy the building, it will do damage to the engie's allies.

It would definitely create some mind games.
As would building a decoy sentry that explodes and lights enemies within a good distance on fire, but that's probably too far
:lol

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
EvilMario said:
It would really love it if the engineer could do damage by blowing up buildings, the larger the building, and the higher level, the more damage. ie; if you're away from the sentry and the spy applies a sapper, blow up the sentry and kill him. Thus if the spy sapper manages to destroy the building, it will do damage to the engie's allies.

As would building a decoy sentry that explodes and lights enemies within a good distance on fire, but that's probably too far
I can hear every spy player cursing under their breath if this ever happened.

Twig

Banned
rar said:
omg

point e on steel with airblast sentry :lol
Nah, that'd be largely useless, as the airblast has such a short range. Anyone could easily destroy it from range. It'd be best at points just around corners (like on that one entrance INTO point E) so that as people run around the corner, they're sent flying.

Javaman

EvilMario said:

That's how it was IIRC in TFC. I liked using a dispenser to block the gas chamber in the rock map as a last resort to kill an enemy if they get past everyone.

Javaman

Twig said:
Nah, that'd be largely useless, as the airblast has such a short range. Anyone could easily destroy it from range. It'd be best at points just around corners (like on that one entrance INTO point E) so that as people run around the corner, they're sent flying.

It would make for good times at the top of the stairs on dust defense cp1-2. Anyone trying to run an uber out the door would get knocked down.

Vlad

Javaman said:
That's how it was IIRC in TFC. I liked using a dispenser to block the gas chamber in the rock map as a last resort to kill an enemy if they get past everyone.

That's definitely how it was in TFC. Since the game would tell me when an enemy was trying to use your dispenser, I'd often put a dispenser around a corner in a narrow hallway where an enemy would likely bump into it as soon as they turn the corner. When I'd get the warning, I'd hit the key I bound to "blow up my dispenser", and get an instant kill.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jangaroo said:
Just to rub a little salt on the wounds Kuro :D

PYRO RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Despite Jangaroo's sniping, it was still a pretty fun night of gaming! Not only did I backstab him twice, I also burned him as well! :)

Also, you missed it Jangaroo, but on 2fort, me and a heavy were hiding around a corner on their side of the base. Damn heavy keeps spinning his gun, so I tell him to chill. I stand off to the side and do my hadouken taunt kill. Sure enough, after the 3rd attempt, a scout runs by and makes me a happy pyro after my perfectly executed hadouken finishes him off! :)

JAVA! I wish you had recorded that :(

Inkwell

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:

Despite Jangaroo's sniping, it was still a pretty fun night of gaming! Not only did I backstab him twice, I also burned him as well! :)

Also, you missed it Jangaroo, but on 2fort, me and a heavy were hiding around a corner on their side of the base. Damn heavy keeps spinning his gun, so I tell him to chill. I stand off to the side and do my hadouken taunt kill. Sure enough, after the 3rd attempt, a scout runs by and makes me a happy pyro after my perfectly executed hadouken finishes him off! :)

Well it didn't make me happy. OK, I'm lying here. It was quite awesome, actually.

Javaman

Kuro Madoushi said:

Is there a way to record games from a packet standpoint? I'm pretty sure the demo command only records it from the player's viewpoint.

Sciz

Kuro Madoushi said:
Also, you missed it Jangaroo, but on 2fort, me and a heavy were hiding around a corner on their side of the base. Damn heavy keeps spinning his gun, so I tell him to chill.
Heavies caught unawares die horribly to everything. :(

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
Is there a way to record games from a packet standpoint? I'm pretty sure the demo command only records it from the player's viewpoint.
Demos record everything that goes on, but to see anything but the player's point of view, you have to learn how the camera shit works in Source demo player... and at least when I was messing with it in L4D... no fucking clue. Confusing as hell.

Boonoo

Javaman said:

I think maybe that you could set up a sourceTV; I don't know when that records, though. it might only be when a match starts with the comp config.

Edit: after some quick research it seems that the best that you can do is switch to 3rd person mode in your demos. There is, though, a feature called Drive that lets you kind of move around the map, but it's pretty gimped. It's tied to your character so if you die you can't see anything; and the demo only records things that your engine is rendering, so if you get too far away nothing really shows up.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Kuro Madoushi said:

I wish I saw that :lol
I still can't believe Java's level 1 sentry airblasted that pyro into the air onto the other side of the map. And out of all the odds, that pyro ended up landing on my head. I wish I caught that on video :(

Boonoo said:
I think maybe that you could set up a sourceTV; I don't know when that records, though. it might only be when a match starts with the comp config.

Edit: after some quick research it seems that the best that you can do is switch to 3rd person mode in your demos. There is, though, a feature called Drive that lets you kind of move around the map, but it's pretty gimped. It's tied to your character so if you die you can't see anything; and the demo only records things that your engine is rendering, so if you get too far away nothing really shows up.

Valve did talk at one point at how they were going to revise the demo system, with servers automatically recording demos that players could directly request and get the whole picture.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nothing more sweeter than punching a Huntsman Sniper with the gloves and then switching over to Sasha as I mow 5 people down running at me.

"WTF WHERE DID THE CRITS COME FROM!?"

Twig

Banned
Kulock said:
Valve did talk at one point at how they were going to revise the demo system, with servers automatically recording demos that players could directly request and get the whole picture.
That was so long ago.

So so long ago. ):

Donos

Is there a euro Gaf server out there? I started playing TF2 4 weeks ago and only play a server with Orange (3,4) maps. I want to play and learn the "normal" maps but the GAF server i added has a really bad latency (i am in germany).
Got a yellow demo stickyweapon yesterday. You can choose which stickies detonate. I couldn't handle it and changed it back. I think it is called the Scottish Resisitance.

Javaman

Donos said:
Is there a euro Gaf server out there? I started playing TF2 4 weeks ago and only play a server with Orange (3,4) maps. I want to play and learn the "normal" maps but the GAF server i added has a really bad latency (i am in germany).
Got a yellow demo stickyweapon yesterday. You can choose which stickies detonate. I couldn't handle it and changed it back. I think it is called the Scottish Resisitance.

That's a bummer man. There's just the one right now and is on a month by month contract. It'll be up for at least another month or two.

There were so many silly things that happened last night. I normally hate 2fort but with balanced teams it was quite crazy. Sciz building sentries in the enemy basement, defensive sentries having a lifetime of seconds, flags on roofs. Good times.

I'd say my favorite moment was when I was scouting out a good place to build as a blue engineer on the last cp of Badwater. On the left side of the map with the top of the spiral stairs and little platform I came across an enemy just inside the door. I didn't think he saw me so I hugged the wall around the platform. When he jumped down I ran under him and crit wrenched him 40+ feet into the air. :lol

After all of you lightweights left Oreo and I played Steel in a 3-2 round. While defending the scout rushed with a medic and capped it despite a rain of rockets on the last point. There wasn't anything we could do to stop it. :lol While attacking against the other three we managed to get each CP point one at a time and almost got the last one before someone else joined up on our team and evened up the player counts.

Twig

Banned
Yeah 2fort was fun last night. It's been known to happen, but it's such a rarity that I play the pessimism card every time the map comes up. Just to be safe. :3

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Javaman said:
That's a bummer man. There's just the one right now and is on a month by month contract. It'll be up for at least another month or two.

There were so many silly things that happened last night. I normally hate 2fort but with balanced teams it was quite crazy. Sciz building sentries in the enemy basement, defensive sentries having a lifetime of seconds, flags on roofs. Good times.

I'd say my favorite moment was when I was scouting out a good place to build as a blue engineer on the last cp of Badwater. On the left side of the map with the top of the spiral stairs and little platform I came across an enemy just inside the door. I didn't think he saw me so I hugged the wall around the platform. When he jumped down I ran under him and crit wrenched him 40+ feet into the air. :lol

After all of you lightweights left Oreo and I played Steel in a 3-2 round. While defending the scout rushed with a medic and capped it despite a rain of rockets on the last point. There wasn't anything we could do to stop it. :lol While attacking against the other three we managed to get each CP point one at a time and almost got the last one before someone else joined up on our team and evened up the player counts.

You guys play just a little too late for my tastes. I got the event notice yesterday while playing finishing something in L4D2 but that was all i was going to do before going to bed. The past two events i've only have 1-2 hours before i have to go to bed. Are most of you west coaster or something?

Yasae

Banned
Found a game on one of the F7 servers with [BOOTY]Kuro Madoushi and [ASS]EvilMario... Or is that tag Gaf? Ah well. :lol

I meant to get on the gaf server, but forgot the IP again. Writing it down and adding to favorites this time.

Twig

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
You guys play just a little too late for my tastes. I got the event notice yesterday while playing finishing something in L4D2 but that was all i was going to do before going to bed. The past two events i've only have 1-2 hours before i have to go to bed. Are most of you west coaster or something?
I think Java's east, as am I. Usually I bug Java at about 10 or 11 and a game begins. We just start late. Hah.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yasae said:
Found a game on one of the F7 servers with [BOOTY]Kuro Madoushi and [ASS]EvilMario... Or is that tag Gaf? Ah well. :lol

I meant to get on the gaf server, but forgot the IP again. Writing it down and adding to favorites this time.

?????? yeah that's me. You're that aggressive medic running around there, eh?

Yeah, you gotta join us on the GAF servers! Or add one of us as friends and join see the servers on your friends tab far right of the favourites and history tab in-game.

I'm East Coast (Toronto). :'( Can't believe the heavy was the only witness to my taunt kill...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sciz said:
Heavies caught unawares die horribly to everything. :(

:( Sciz, I was a pyro and right next to you! No way any one person would've taken them both out.

Inkwell! You gotta friend me, so I'll always know who it was that suffered the hadouken-around-the-corner trick!

Sciz

Javaman said:
Everything I know about engineering I learned from being killed by you.

I enjoy the occasional 2fort, but it's most fun when you have a situation like last night where it's about 8v8 and no one is taking it quite seriously.

zombieshavebrains said:
Are most of you west coaster or something?
Central, but my schedule is such that I've long since gotten acclimated to post-midnight bedtimes.

Kuro Madoushi said:
:( Sciz, I was a pyro and right next to you! No way any one person would've taken them both out.
One does not tempt crits. D:

Donos

What is a good (euro) server with the original maps in cycle ? only map i played besides Orange (capture point) is Egypt. Well after 30 hours TF2 on one map it's time to try the rest of the game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Offensive Engie in 2fort is a great deal of fun; I'm sorry I missed it. :(

Bought L4D2 on the Steam sale as well, so I'll be splitting my time.. for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom