• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

Twig said:
I like Pac-Man but I hate playing it more than like two rounds. One round even. ):
I originally ran across the map as part of the rotation on the OCRemix server. These days they only run it on the odd occasions it comes up through nominate. Fun map, but it can get overplayed really easily.

Twig said:
Which map did we play tonight that I should go through for frapsing tomorrow? You decide. O:
I don't think I've ever played a game of Double Cross that didn't have something amusing happen.

Boonoo

I have to admit that I hate pac-man. Those ghosts must have killed me more times than I care to count. I'm like one of those assholes that always wants to play smash bros on final destination with no items
in smashbros I love vanilla mode items and all
. D:

On a related note. I fucking love pipeline. I hadn't played it in a couple months, but it was goddamn great the other night.

Twig

Banned
I, too, love pipeline. I want to see more maps with the race setup.
Sciz said:
I originally ran across the map as part of the rotation on the OCRemix server. These days they only run it on the odd occasions it comes up through nominate. Fun map, but it can get overplayed really easily.
Yeah, I enjoy playing it, but... yeah.
I don't think I've ever played a game of Double Cross that didn't have something amusing happen.
I don't think we played Double Cross did we? O: I know we almost did but I think the server crashed or something and we changed maps like right away!

Although I guess I could go to an older demo.

EDIT: Aw man prec_mode somehow set itself to 2 so it didn't record the demos from last night. ):

Twig

Banned
Time for more of my shitty videos! I hope they make all of you miserable!

Embarrassing confessions, part one. (Or at least it would be embarrassing if I had any dignity.) Sometimes I rage. I was exaggerating a little, but not much. Damnit Kuro! That shouldn't have counted! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRcb2X0W21k

Inkweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellll! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MN-n0T3d48

This is what you're missing out on if you don't play on the GAF server. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxztLBKZLVc

I'm-a pee on you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o903J0jFeIA

(Videos may not be ready yet. Might have to let them process.)

Piano

Banned
Played on the server for a bit last night before TF2 crashed. Took it as a sign that I should go to bed. But I put the server on my favorites list, so I'll show up more often :D

Inkwell

Banned
Last night my PC froze when we were changing maps, so I just decided to quit for the night.

Twig said:
Time for more of my shitty videos! I hope they make all of you miserable!

Inkweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellll! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MN-n0T3d48
I remember that seeming much more awesome than it was. It looks like I handled that sloppily from the video.

Twig said:
This is what you're missing out on if you don't play on the GAF server. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxztLBKZLVc
Pacman is tons of fun. I don't know why I thought it was so funny, but at 1:16 you are flying through the air dead and your arm is stuck inside your body with your hand sticking out the other side. It just looks so odd.

rar

the one thing i dont like about pacman is all those invisible walls... i just want to rocket jump over everyone into pacmans mouth :(

Javaman

rar said:
the one thing i dont like about pacman is all those invisible walls... i just want to rocket jump over everyone into pacmans mouth :(

Hey Sciz, what's the map name of the latest pacman? Do you know if the invisible walls exist in it?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Pacman looks awesome, and yes the invisible walls seem to ruin a bit. But I suppose you have to question how many people would play that map with low grav?

Twig

Banned
I agree that Pac-Man would be waaaaaaay more awesome without the invisible walls.

At least you can shoot through them, though, I suppose.

Sciz

Javaman said:
Hey Sciz, what's the map name of the latest pacman? Do you know if the invisible walls exist in it?
Every version is fundamentally the same; the KotH mode never made it past B2, and it's derived from the final CP version.

Letting people bound over the walls would take away from it being a Pac-Man stage anyway.

Twig

Banned
Sciz said:
Every version is fundamentally the same; the KotH mode never made it past B2, and it's derived from the final CP version.

Letting people bound over the walls would take away from it being a Pac-Man stage anyway.
Maybe it would ruin the pac-man factor, but it would be more fun. For me, anyway. I hate invisible walls as a soldier or demoman on NORMAL maps. I hate it even more here. \:

Javaman

Twig said:
Maybe it would ruin the pac-man factor, but it would be more fun. For me, anyway. I hate invisible walls as a soldier or demoman on NORMAL maps. I hate it even more here. \:

Yeah, I'd have the gravity set low enough to keep people from jumping over the walls except for soldiers and demos (maybe scouts)

Rockets react strangly to the invisible walls anyways, slightly deflecting.

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
Yeah, I'd have the gravity set low enough to keep people from jumping over the walls except for soldiers and demos (maybe scouts)
Nah man. There's no reason to balance the game if we're turning on low gravity! TAKE IT TO THE EXTREEEEEEME.
Javaman said:
Rockets react strangly to the invisible walls anyways, slightly deflecting.
Yeah I've noticed that. It's weird. O:
notsol337 said:
I talk way too much.
You talk way too much?!

Yasae

Banned
TheEastonator said:
Played on the server for a bit last night before TF2 crashed. Took it as a sign that I should go to bed. But I put the server on my favorites list, so I'll show up more often :D
That always happens to me! It crashes when I need to leave anyway. The game is psychic.

I feel you on those "backstabs" Twig. Facestabbed thrice on the f7 server the other night. One of those hobos :)D) even said he shouldn't have gotten a kill. I tend to play medic and heavy as you all know. It's rather hard to get trash kills with those classes, though there have definitely been some moments where my needles have, er, "snapped" into place and killed a player I wasn't even close to hitting. That's happened maybe twice in all my time playing TF2.

I know I don't make some kills. It's the arrogant who think they make 100% of kills entirely off skill that are annoying, defensive, and quite frankly... Shitty players.

Oreoleo

Yasae said:
I feel you on those "backstabs" Twig. Facestabbed thrice on the f7 server the other night. One of those hobos :)D) even said he shouldn't have gotten a kill.

Here's a writeup on how backstabs work: http://technofovea.com/blog/archives/278

weirdstab.png

That's the only bit that really bothers me. You can effectively be facing away from someone's back and still get the backstab. It's a small window but still frustrating. Ditto side stabs. The plane for getting a backstab is 180 degrees but it should be more like 120 or so IMO.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Orellio said:
Here's a writeup on how backstabs work: http://technofovea.com/blog/archives/278

weirdstab.png

That's the only bit that really bothers me. You can effectively be facing away from someone's back and still get the backstab. It's a small window but still frustrating. Ditto side stabs. The plane for getting a backstab is 180 degrees but it should be more like 120 or so IMO.

I was going to show this article as well to Twiggy.

But here's what I'm going for essentially.
http://www.youtube.com/user/omfgninja#p/u/11/d87QCn_cafI
FF to 1:30 for the quick stab.

I can't get it 100% of the time unlike some people (fucking Clown Makeup), but I'm practicing.

Oh, and Yasae, you should know to hug the walls, take quick looks back (and up) and jump and turn back now and then along with running in a zigzag pattern on F7.

Spies like Beckett, Spy2, Aserwarth, Metaltomyears, Blinblue, and a ton of others will wreck your shit up if you don't protect yourself. You can usually tell they're coming or see them flying by you and missing their backstab if you're careful.

I talk a lot more on the GAF servers than the F7 servers since I can get away with a lot more since Java's pretty lax. I'm not someone who calls others fags or something 'ghey' for fun, but it is fun to rage with you guys.

DAMN YOU INKWELL!!!! YOU AND YOUR GODDAMN ARROWS!
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Twig

Banned
Just because that's how backstabs DO work doesn't mean it's how backstabs SHOULD work. It's fucking bullshit when I do it to other people and it's bullshit when other people do it to me.

If I can SEE you ON my screen when you're stabbing in MY vision RIGHT THERE, it is not a backstab. It might be a "backstab" but it's not a backstab.

EDIT: Though I should clarify that lag compensation is a whole other ballgame.

Yasae

Banned
Twig said:
Just because that's how backstabs DO work doesn't mean it's how backstabs SHOULD work. It's fucking bullshit when I do it to other people and it's bullshit when other people do it to me.

If I can SEE you ON my screen when you're stabbing in MY vision RIGHT THERE, it is not a backstab. It might be a "backstab" but it's not a backstab.

EDIT: Though I should clarify that lag compensation is a whole other ballgame.
Basically. Like I said, it's drastically more difficult to get trash kills with certain classes. It's not really balanced, but it depends more on a player's ability to abuse the system rather than class power. That's how things stay in check. Things become balanced when there's an equal (or nearly so) amount of cheese on both sides.

If I fire at a cloaked spy with the needle gun, they don't uncloak until they're dead. Is that correct? Happens 100% of the time.. It doesn't seem right, but I guess that's just how the game does it since it happens consistently.

Twig

Banned
nah it's just one of those days i'm absolutely terrible and can't get into the swing of things

i just stuck with it longer than usual this time

(being on the losing team ten times in a row didn't help)

Oreoleo

Twig said:
nah it's just one of those days i'm absolutely terrible and can't get into the swing of things

i just stuck with it longer than usual this time

(being on the losing team ten times in a row didn't help)

Believe me I've been there, and it sucks when it happens :(

Sciz

Tisan said:
Artistdude moonwalks to victory
You're playing Dustbowl and someone's close to you who can't be seen
Behind your sentry, you hear a sound that brings you to your knees
You grab your wrench but know that you're already much too late
Your sentry's toast as your life is ended by a backstab
It's a spycraaaaaaab

'Cause this is Dustbowl, a deadly land
And your team can't help you kill a stealthy kind of man
Defending Dustbowl, got one last stand
Don't know why that guy won't die and let you build a sentryyyyyy

JoeFu

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
What was up with that motherfucker and his 'oh noes! GAFFERS AM TEAMSTACKERS LULZ!?'

We were on both teams...:p

it was awesome. Any time someone rage quits its amazing. Some people take the game way too seriously.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
notsol337 said:
I am the worst spy ever.

Just some tips when watching you play: Watch the series of videos I posted the link for above. You're way too obvious and need to hide in better spots. You also need to pick your spots to uncloak/attack better (above, out of way spots, corners). And use the Doucheringer to get some practice in. Or, go on the freefrag servers to practice; most of them REALLY suck at spy checking.

I shouldn't have told yasae what to look for...makes my job harder now cause after I got him the first few times, he was a lot more careful. Then there's sciz, who randomly turns around to check stuff out. However, to get around this, you just wait til your team is distracting them and then you go in for the kill. Example: Sciz is attacking point B on Gravelpit. I see him walk by, but I know he'll turn around to check, so I wait til he starts firing his gun and I see my teammates try to spam him. Can't dodge THAT backstab, can ya Sciz...

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Just some tips when watching you play: Watch the series of videos I posted the link for above. You're way too obvious and need to hide in better spots. You also need to pick your spots to uncloak/attack better (above, out of way spots, corners). And use the Doucheringer to get some practice in. Or, go on the freefrag servers to practice; most of them REALLY suck at spy checking.

I shouldn't have told yasae what to look for...makes my job harder now cause after I got him the first few times, he was a lot more careful. Then there's sciz, who randomly turns around to check stuff out. However, to get around this, you just wait til your team is distracting them and then you go in for the kill. Example: Sciz is attacking point B on Gravelpit. I see him walk by, but I know he'll turn around to check, so I wait til he starts firing his gun and I see my teammates try to spam him. Can't dodge THAT backstab, can ya Sciz...
I'm bad at playing spy and all other classes and I get backstabbed a lot.

But, sometimes you kind of do have to make a choice like that, I think. If you're a heavy being healed by a medic, you can either keep focused and hold the fire on a sentry for the 3 seconds or so it takes to kill, or you can look behind you midfire and maybe see a spy who is stabbing you. Ultimately, you have to decide that your goal is to take down the sentry, and expect that you will die in that three seconds by a backstab as a result of your sacrifice.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well, there's the catch. I know he had no choice, which is why I attacked. It's tough getting the jump on Sciz when he's traipsing through the maps (and he always has his serious pants on). It really is about timing, except on freefrag where they just suck.

Yasae

Banned
Blizzard said:
I'm bad at playing spy and all other classes and I get backstabbed a lot.

But, sometimes you kind of do have to make a choice like that, I think. If you're a heavy being healed by a medic, you can either keep focused and hold the fire on a sentry for the 3 seconds or so it takes to kill, or you can look behind you midfire and maybe see a spy who is stabbing you. Ultimately, you have to decide that your goal is to take down the sentry, and expect that you will die in that three seconds by a backstab as a result of your sacrifice.
True. Sometimes it's worth it. Though I can easily blow whole clips of needles into spies and hit nothing but air. There seems to be a real problem, I mean, they're not THAT thin! :lol

matrix-agent.jpg

BTW I got three trash kills tonight. How about everyone else?

Sciz

C'mon guys, it's Thriller. :(

Kuro Madoushi said:
Well, there's the catch. I know he had no choice, which is why I attacked. It's tough getting the jump on Sciz when he's traipsing through the maps (and he always has his serious pants on). It really is about timing, except on freefrag where they just suck.
More so than the other classes, playing heavy is all about making the enemy fight you on your terms. Blizzard isn't wrong and I'm not sure there's anything to be done about it, but I still hate using that as an excuse.

It's a hollow victory for the spy, though.

Yasae

Banned
Sciz said:

More so than the other classes, playing heavy is all about making the enemy fight you on your terms. Blizzard isn't wrong and I'm not sure there's anything to be done about it, but I still hate using that as an excuse.

That's most of their victories. Getting ubered as a spy.. Now that would be something. But running up to a heavy on a cart or being a vulture at the spawn is some of the most predictable strategy out there. That's how people know you're there before you are. It's a roulette of probability.

They get a cloak to negate this.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sciz said:

:lol
Hey, I'll take my victories where I can get them with you. I'm not like Spy2, who was on the server for a little bit. I had to ask him not to play spy because he fucking WRECKS teams even on F7.

You guys got a taste of that on the second point of Cashworks when he manhandled the whole team as a DR spy. One on one, he's probably the best I've personally played with as he knows all the little tricks and how to backstab (Man...if Twiggy was ragin over that quick stab, he'd REALLY rage over this guy). I still remember on frontier, it took 2 of us to take him down, and this is AFTER he killed both of us a number of times. Bastard turned a corner, jumped over me and backstabbed me before I knew what was going on. I'd say I can handle even really good spies, but he's on another level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdR4u_Cn7-o&feature=player_embedded

Thankfully, tonight he was only playing scout and a soldier with little health running around with the equalizer...

Oreoleo

Kuro Madoushi said:
I still remember on frontier, it took 2 of us to take him down, and this is AFTER he killed both of us a number of times.

The first map I played tonight was Frontier on F7 and I was having a good amount of luck with it as a spy. Ended up dominating a red heavy who was defending the 2nd to last point. I also managed to get a pretty blatant facestab when I ran into someone head on, jumped into the air and aimed at the ground just behind him. I thought that was pretty awesome :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom