• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Twig said:
Yeah, I use that auto-demo-saver thing rar posted about a while back. I forget the name, though. Maybe Pov-Record? Yeah that's it.

Quick note, demos automatically change when the server changes map. For example, if you you name your demo "TwigSucks" and then the server changes map, a new demo will start recording titled "TwigSucks_1" and when the server reloads again on a new arena, it'll become "TwigSucks_2". The numbers will increment so on and so forth, although past nine it'll be annoying thanks to alphabetical order.

Because of this, whenever I feel like recording I tend to play on servers with speedy map rotations, and without Twig.

snack

Twig said:
Yeah, I use that auto-demo-saver thing rar posted about a while back. I forget the name, though. Maybe Pov-Record? Yeah that's it.

I downloaded Pov-Record 1.4.2 (3572) but I don't know how to use it. I already installed the plugin by copying the archive contents to my "steamapps\%yoursteamusername%\team fortress 2\tf\addons" folder but how exactly do I turn it on while in game to record?

Yasae

Banned
What causes random spy shimmering? I'll see that random red or blue oily form shimmer for a second, and then it disappears (and 90% of the time they die because of it, yes.) They haven't changed disguises.. And their cloak hasn't fallen quite yet... So what is it?

Also, their cloak or disguise does not disappear until they're dead except for a flamethrower. I've had spies pop up DOA from too many gatling bullets. Apparently their technology is so advanced, it doesn't get destroyed from heavy fire. Maybe they should've told the Predators about this...

Twig

Banned
snack said:
I downloaded Pov-Record 1.4.2 (3572) but I don't know how to use it. I already installed the plugin by copying the archive contents to my "steamapps\%yoursteamusername%\team fortress 2\tf\addons" folder but how exactly do I turn it on while in game to record?
prec_mode 3 will make it record every demo.

The readme will tell you everything you need to know. O:

I mean you could always manually record the demos if you wanted, but obviously this is easier.

Helmholtz

Yasae said:
What causes random spy shimmering? I'll see that random red or blue oily form shimmer for a second, and then it disappears (and 90% of the time they die because of it, yes.) They haven't changed disguises.. And their cloak hasn't fallen quite yet... So what is it?

Also, their cloak or disguise does not disappear until they're dead except for a flamethrower. I've had spies pop up DOA from too many gatling bullets. Apparently their technology is so advanced, it doesn't get destroyed from heavy fire. Maybe they should've told the Predators about this...
Pretty sure they're semi-exposed while cloaked whenever they're damaged ie. with a scattergun. They appear sort of translucent as their team color.

commissar

Spies shimmer when shot, when bumped into by the enemy team (cloaked not disguised) & if their energy runs out when using the cloak and dagger and moving.
They also shimmer when on fire, but that tends to be the least of their worries.

snack

Hey Twig, is it normal to have whacky sound from the AVI files that I recorded from Fraps? Maybe my settings aren't optimized?

Twig

Banned
Define wacky. I've never had any problems with sound, except occasionally I have TF2 hiccups (where it gets those sound loops and it freezes temporarily, yeah?). When that happens, the Fraps shit gets messed up. As in, the video still gets frozen, but the sound keeps going on normally... so everything after the "sound loop bug" is no longer synchronized.

Boonoo said:
I'm pretty sure something like that happened to me last night (I was the soldier).

But I couldn't remember which map it was on, and didn't find it even after going through all of them. ):

It might've been yasae, or ArtistDude, or neither, or it might not have even been a sniper... I dunnoooo I just remember both him and me going "wow" and I said I'd have to figure out how the camera works to get a look from outside my view... But then I promptly forgot about it until just now. D:

Yasae

Banned
Helmholtz said:
Pretty sure they're semi-exposed while cloaked whenever they're damaged ie. with a scattergun. They appear sort of translucent as their team color.
Spies never de-cloak when I damage them, flames excluded. They often get shot several times, re-cloak, and disappear.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yasae said:
Spies never de-cloak when I damage them, flames excluded. They often get shot several times, re-cloak, and disappear.

???
You most definitely should see them shimmer. If it's me you're talking about, when I recloak, I move away from the area you're shooting so that you don't see the shimmering anymore obviously. Hell, I see *myself* shimmer when someone bumps into me. If a spy is falling dead right in front of you randomly when you're firing your gatling gun, could it be a dead ringer spy disguised as a spy?

Yikes today when you guys got to see spy2 put on a show. Man, I REALLY need to practice more. I think it was Blizzard or Mario? or someone, as a medic chasing him up some stairs, spy2 jumps around, over, behind, backstab :D I was cloaked in the corner and I really felt bad for ya. I was also spectating him after failing as spy and saw him destroy that engie encampment near the tunnel. Fucker gives me nightmares when I have to take him on one-on-one. I've still yet to play against a better spy...

Sibylus

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Yikes today when you guys got to see spy2 put on a show. Man, I REALLY need to practice more. I think it was Blizzard or Mario? or someone, as a medic chasing him up some stairs, spy2 jumps around, over, behind, backstab :D I was cloaked in the corner and I really felt bad for ya. I was also spectating him after failing as spy and saw him destroy that engie encampment near the tunnel. Fucker gives me nightmares when I have to take him on one-on-one. I've still yet to play against a better spy...
As one of the engineers he paid some visits to, I admit it was goddamn terrifying. He was all over the place at once, flying through the air in a leap, landing on my dispenser, then jumping again into a random direction while I was swinging and missing.

Botolf (to himself): "Jesus FUCKING CHRIST WHO IS THIS GUY?!"

I do appreciate the lesson learned from all of that, though. Gotta be way more aggressive and whip out my shotty to pin down a spy as aggressive and manoeuvrable as that. Have to respect a guy who gets you from behind so many times and still has the energy to come back for more.

Javaman

Yasae said:

If a spy is on fire everyone can see him for quite a while so he might as well drop his disguise and attack. Other damage causes just a quick 1 or 2 second decloak so people tend to keep the invisibility up.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Botolf said:
As one of the engineers he paid some visits to, I admit it was goddamn terrifying. He was all over the place at once, flying through the air in a leap, landing on my dispenser, then jumping again into a random direction while I was swinging and missing.

Botolf (to himself): "Jesus FUCKING CHRIST WHO IS THIS GUY?!"

I do appreciate the lesson learned from all of that, though. Gotta be way more aggressive and whip out my shotty to pin down a spy as aggressive and manoeuvrable as that. Have to respect a guy who gets you from behind so many times and still has the energy to come back for more.
:lol Believe me, even with a shotty, he's hard to take out. I know this from agonizing hours spent playing engie against him :(

You need a reliable spy checker, and he has to aggressively chase and take him down because this guy knows how/where to hide and where to go to fill his douche ringer back up. He WAS all over the place...on top of your dispenser, your gun, your back!

Yasae

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
:lol Believe me, even with a shotty, he's hard to take out. I know this from agonizing hours spent playing engie against him :(

You need a reliable spy checker, and he has to aggressively chase and take him down because this guy knows how/where to hide and where to go to fill his douche ringer back up. He WAS all over the place...on top of your dispenser, your gun, your back!
That's exactly it. No one can cover all vectors at once, and spies don't need to because of their cloak. This is why heavies getting backstabbed in the middle of massacring an entire team is not that surprising. What are they supposed to do? Stop and get shot in the back? Either someone else is spy-checking or they're dead. Alone it's different.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yasae said:
That's exactly it. No one can cover all vectors at once, and spies don't need to because of their cloak. This is why heavies getting backstabbed in the middle of massacring an entire team is not that surprising. What are they supposed to do? Stop and get shot in the back? Either someone else is spy-checking or they're dead. Alone it's different.

Bah, I told ya before. You're not spychecking the higher areas and you're not watching your six enough. It's hella hard for me to get the jump on sciz, for example, since he's constantly checking his back while running. You are getting better at it since you've caught me a few times when I was being sloppy and I had to work harder for it, but you always gotta watch that six!

I actually asked spy2 not to play spy because he was too overpowered (oh man the stories Java could tell you), which is why he was usually a sniper, soldier, scout. I guess he was just tired of losing?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
???

Yes, that was definitely me. I knew it was coming, and I was about two thirds turned back toward the bottom of the stairs when he nailed me. In retrospect, I should have backed away when I anticipated it and Ubersawed him. It was quite an epic jump, and mostly of the great spies I see are experts at those mid-air backstabs.
RAAAAGE

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
Why would you ask someone not to play a class?

Do we ask Sciz not to play heavy? No.

I've seen him tear teams apart. Regardless, he plays whatever he wants to play.

Mario...I feel your pain...he did the same thing to me on Frontier :/

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
If a spy is on fire everyone can see him for quite a while so he might as well drop his disguise and attack. Other damage causes just a quick 1 or 2 second decloak so people tend to keep the invisibility up.
I would say yes, but if you're a cloaked dead ringer spy on fire, you take hardly any damage until your cloak runs out (which is annoying for pyros who have to keep a flamethrower on you for some 10 seconds before you die) if I'm not mistaken. I didn't know dead ringer spies didn't shimmer at all barring fire, if that's the case...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
I would say yes, but if you're a cloaked dead ringer spy on fire, you take hardly any damage until your cloak runs out (which is annoying for pyros who have to keep a flamethrower on you for some 10 seconds before you die) if I'm not mistaken. I didn't know dead ringer spies didn't shimmer at all barring fire, if that's the case...

Axtingusher will break through the douche ringer's power. Umm...I actually do think you shimmer since enough people are able to find me after the watch activates. It's supposed to be canceled out by the loud crackle at the end though.

Sciz

Kuro Madoushi said:
It's hella hard for me to get the jump on sciz, for example, since he's constantly checking his back while running.
I've been kind of lazy about this lately, and paying for it. D:

Twig said:
Do we ask Sciz not to play heavy? No.
Well, you don't.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I've seen him tear teams apart. Regardless, he plays whatever he wants to play.
I just wish I were as good with other classes as I am with heavy. Working on it, though!

Blizzard said:
I would say yes, but if you're a cloaked dead ringer spy on fire, you take hardly any damage until your cloak runs out (which is annoying for pyros who have to keep a flamethrower on you for some 10 seconds before you die)
What Kuro said. A spy's cloak will run out before the fire does. Rip out the Axetinguisher and have fun.

derFeef

Would be happy to have some GAF friends to play TF2. I am burned out a bit with BFBC2 and need some online shooter fix.
steamid: derFeef

Blizzard

Banned
Sciz said:
What Kuro said. A spy's cloak will run out before the fire does. Rip out the Axetinguisher and have fun.
I guess so, but staying cloaked means the fire will kill you less slowly so you MIGHT have a chance of survival. Plus isn't the spy movement speed the same as a pyro? So unless they're right next to you, they CANNOT hit you with an axtinguisher if you happen to be able to run away for a while, unless I'm mistaken.

At any rate, all I meant was more of a "when you're on fire, might as well stay cloaked with the dead ringer" instead of Java's "if you're on fire might as well decloak" suggestion. At least that's my possibly flawed opinion! :D

Yasae

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Bah, I told ya before. You're not spychecking the higher areas and you're not watching your six enough. It's hella hard for me to get the jump on sciz, for example, since he's constantly checking his back while running. You are getting better at it since you've caught me a few times when I was being sloppy and I had to work harder for it, but you always gotta watch that six!
You're still going to get some kills because of another player's opportunity costs. The answer isn't so much killing as it is avoidance.

I do find the Heavy's backstab death cries hilarious, though.

Javaman

derFeef said:
Would be happy to have some GAF friends to play TF2. I am burned out a bit with BFBC2 and need some online shooter fix.
steamid: derFeef

Join up with this group...

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2
We usually play in the late evenings and by joining you'll get an invite when we get together. Almost everyone on the server is a decent apart from some guy named "The Second Doctor Is the Best" who's a bit of an ass.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
I guess so, but staying cloaked means the fire will kill you less slowly so you MIGHT have a chance of survival. Plus isn't the spy movement speed the same as a pyro? So unless they're right next to you, they CANNOT hit you with an axtinguisher if you happen to be able to run away for a while, unless I'm mistaken.

At any rate, all I meant was more of a "when you're on fire, might as well stay cloaked with the dead ringer" instead of Java's "if you're on fire might as well decloak" suggestion. At least that's my possibly flawed opinion! :D

Airblast teh spah in that case. I airblast to get them into a corner anyways before using the axe.

The advanced spies I watch tend to stay cloaked and run to the nearest health/ammo pack. In spy2's case, what he'll usually do is take a couple of hits AS he's running and then hit the douche ringer at the last second, take off the douche ringer as he's running off, and by then he's already found health/ammo. DR is really overpowered :(

Kuro Madoushi said:
DR is really overpowered :(

At least it's not as bad now as when Spies could just keep circling around and tank-sapping sentries. Because there's virtually no start-up or shut-down time on the watch if the cloak isn't activated (and there wasn't as severe a cloak penalty at first for decloaking), the Spy probably had a bind to deactivate the watch, sap, and reactivate the watch in one smooth motion with hardly a moment of danger.

There was an Engineer, a Soldier, and I think someone else all trying to kill that single Spy, while still not being completely blind to the battlefield, and it was ultimately a lost battle. There was some metal and health nearby, so I'm sure if there was ever a point where he felt threatened, he could've (or did) just topped himself off while still invisible.

You know what would help? If DR Spies could still pick up metal to feed their cloaks while invisible, but they couldn't pick up health without decloaking. Maybe still allow them to feed off Dispensers, since that's one very limited area Engineers should be checking anyway, but that would do a lot for the frustrated Pyros watching this burning, semi-invisible form stay just out of range, taking virtually no damage, until it picks up a tiny health bottle and completely disappears. I'm sure DR Spy players would cry foul at the change though.

Twig

Banned
they're all still being processed, so quality will be shitty for a while

1. pet is my buddy :3
2. I do a lot of things and then kill myself and now I share it out of sheer embarassment. ]:
3. Java made me admin and Oreo is bitter. :3
4. SOME NEW GUY tricked me ]:
5. You can do better than that Oreoleoleeoleoeleooeel :3
6. Lookit notso get a fing for himself (AND NOT GET A FING FOR MYSELF) ]:
Ultimatum said:
ah, so that was you :p I look forward to tricking you into walking into my stickies again
check out number four ):
zombieshavebrains said:
In response to someone who was asking about demos. I use Source Engine Automatic Demo Saver. It works pretty well as far as i've seen.
I use this, too.

commissar

Twig said:
I use this, too.
I find this PREC recorder much better, as there's no external program. I've set it to record everything & have bound F12 to delete last recorded demo (which sadly I use more than I'd like to :/ ).

Now if only I had a program to fix the 2 second audio lag D:

Twig

Banned
Tisan said:
I find this PREC recorder much better, as there's no external program. I've set it to record everything & have bound F12 to delete last recorded demo (which sadly I use more than I'd like to :/ ).

Now if only I had a program to fix the 2 second audio lag D:
I use both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom