• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Tisan said:
Go to Library, and on the right side above the box, click LIST.
Next right click on the + sign below this and deselect everything which isn't Games and Status.

Left click on Games in the selection bar to make them alphabetical, then left click on Status to sort the list alphabetically via installation status.

If you're a scrub, you can go to the View menu and select Small Mode, or go to that previously used + sign and add icons to make it just like old steam.
Also the favourites option is there if you tend to forget what you like.

But text only is the superior option for awesome people :>

Also make sure you uncheck the play box on store videos so they don't automatically play, wasting your bandwidth.

BAM! Instantly usable, ever so excellent New steam.
Thanks for the advice! I feel like there's gray-on-gray text and it's kind of hard to read, but UI skins might fix that.

Where do you go to disable the automatic-play on store videos?

I feel like everything is kind of bloated though. Even on my system which is decent/midrange (e8400, ATI 4850, 4GB etc.), I felt like I could feel the window repainting if I dragged it around. :lol Maybe it's just my imagination. The community etc. pages also feel like they're slow to load, and scrolling in the store feels somewhat laggy to me. At least the store/community pages load very quickly when I switch back to them.

*edit* I just went to my friends list after doing something else for a while, and tried to right click Kuro's name. Steam seemed frozen for a bit, and now even if I close and reopen the friends list his name is permanently selected in blue, even if I select someone else. Oh Valve. :(

commissar

Blizzard said:
Thanks for the advice! I feel like there's gray-on-gray text and it's kind of hard to read, but UI skins might fix that.
You can always tweak it a bit:
steam.jpg

I feel like everything is kind of bloated though.
I have the same specs, and while the community and store pages are slow to load I also find the community page is slow to load on ffox so who knows :/
Nothing like your repainting effect, but then I'm kicking 1440x900.

There's a box on the video itself which turns off autoplay, it's underneath the audio button :)

Javaman

Instro said:
Ill have to hook up my headset again, GAF server is quite talkative and its too much of a pain to type while playing.:lol

Most def. It's almost required to have one to be an effective medic.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bah! You asswipes talking about me behind mah back!

Me and Twiggy have a friendly rivalry going on! It's more fun when I supposedly make him rage and he makes me rage.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

I have a rivalry with almost all the spies on F7 since I keep taunting them :/
Still, good times, and gives me a ton of practice.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Proven said:
I think you and I have a different definition of effective.

I think a good amount of GAF players, and F7 players can attest to my ability to function as a good Uber Medic with the use of preset 'messages', and listening to others. And although I'm good with the Ubersaw, I'm nothing compared to the mighty Kuro. :lol

Proven

EvilMario said:
I think a good amount of GAF players, and F7 players can attest to my ability to function as a good Uber Medic with the use of preset 'messages', and listening to others. And although I'm good with the Ubersaw, I'm nothing compared to the mighty Kuro. :lol

Ah, preset messages. So, yes, communication is present.

Yasae

Banned
Blizzard said:
Darn. I'll get you some day! :p I am actually very bad at hitting good scouts with a heavy, since even with natascha I still have to make the initial hit for them to slow down and some of them jump over my head and such.
They die in doorways. That's why you never see them there.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:

Also depends on if the person you're healing knows how to protect you and when to rush. I play enough on F7 to know who'll defend me. And I'm also starting to keep track of people who get me killed when I'm healing them; nothing worse in the world when I have charge and people wait around when I say go and then I get fragged or don't stand in front when I'm healing them :(

When I watch you play, Mario, you're waaay to out in the open. Just try to find safer spots to hide in and you'll do better. I've modified my style so that I'm protecting myself more and focusing more on my charges and I've been able to get a lot more ubers.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Also depends on if the person you're healing knows how to protect you and when to rush. I play enough on F7 to know who'll defend me. And I'm also starting to keep track of people who get me killed when I'm healing them; nothing worse in the world when I have charge and people wait around when I say go and then I get fragged or don't stand in front when I'm healing them :(

When I watch you play, Mario, you're waaay to out in the open. Just try to find safer spots to hide in and you'll do better. I've modified my style so that I'm protecting myself more and focusing more on my charges and I've been able to get a lot more ubers.

Yes, I draw way too much fire to myself, and I'm pretty reckless with the Ubersaw. I enjoy the style of play though, and I can modify my playing style for the map & time.. knowing when we need an Uber, and when I want to pass heals around to keep the push going. If another Medic is on the team too, and charging 'safely', I like to be more aggressive. You and Java far surpass me though, no doubt. My biggest fault is I almost always hold an Uber Charge for too long (on Defense) before popping it, although I'm working on it.

To the first point, nothing is more frustrating than buffing a Soldier, only to have him Rocket Jump out of your reach, while you are blasted to death by the incoming enemy. There are a lot of suicidal Pyros too, and ones that won't blow you out; STAY AWAY. :lol

Javaman

EvilMario said:
You and Java far surpass me though, no doubt. My biggest fault is I almost always hold an Uber Charge for too long (on Defense) before popping it, although I'm working on it.

To the first point, nothing is more frustrating than buffing a Soldier, only to have him Rocket Jump out of your reach, while you are blasted to death by the incoming enemy. There are a lot of suicidal Pyros too, and ones that won't blow you out; STAY AWAY. :lol

I highly doubt that. I play far more aggressively then I really should. The bluts gives me a false sense of security where I play offensively more then I should. (Although I'll heal anyone around who needs it first usually) I can't count the number of ubers I've lost right before deploying since I always take the risk of pushing far into their lines before activating it. I'll keep a close eye on the guy I'm charging with's health but sometimes the enemies get a lucky hit in. I love it when it works though, busting an uber right in the middle of them all. Much better then activating around the corner and the ubered guy not realizing the need to rush. Come to think of it, having a mic in all-talk is a bit of a problem. I inadvertantly let the enemy team know the rush is coming. Maybe I'll start falling back and typing it instead. Unfortunately it takes so long and the guy I was planning on ubering might end up taking off.

I would like to see more people trying to keep the medic alive. It's easy to forget that they are there, but they really make a difference if they can stay alive. Blizzard will atest to that one. He kept running right past a big group of my teamates over and over on Hoodoo one night and found himself some juicy medic neck three or four times in a row.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Javaman said:
I highly doubt that. I play far more aggressively then I really should. The bluts gives me a false sense of security where I play offensively more then I should. (Although I'll heal anyone around who needs it first usually) I can't count the number of ubers I've lost right before deploying since I always take the risk of pushing far into their lines before activating it. I'll keep a close eye on the guy I'm charging with's health but sometimes the enemies get a lucky hit in. I love it when it works though, busting an uber right in the middle of them all. Much better then activating around the corner and the ubered guy not realizing the need to rush. Come to think of it, having a mic in all-talk is a bit of a problem. I inadvertantly let the enemy team know the rush is coming. Maybe I'll start falling back and typing it instead. Unfortunately it takes so long and the guy I was planning on ubering might end up taking off.

I would like to see more people trying to keep the medic alive. It's easy to forget that they are there, but they really make a difference if they can stay alive. Blizzard will atest to that one. He kept running right past a big group of my teamates over and over on Hoodoo one night and found himself some juicy medic neck three or four times in a row.

You can always let your teammates know before hand that you'll be using the Voice Commands (Z,X,C) to know when to push. Go! Go! Go! (Z+3), usually signals for the people that play with me often that they should rush out now and I'll Uber. It's not 'the best method', but sometimes shouting 'okay, i have the uber charge, let's go!' over All-Talk is not the best idea.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
You can always let your teammates know before hand that you'll be using the Voice Commands (Z,X,C) to know when to push. Go! Go! Go! (Z+3), usually signals for the people that play with me often that they should rush out now and I'll Uber. It's not 'the best method', but sometimes shouting 'okay, i have the uber charge, let's go!' over All-Talk is not the best idea.

Bah! I don't think anyone really pays attention to those commands (I don't). It's usually enough for me if I say "GO" for my fucking pocket to fucking GO!. You hang around after I say it and more often than not I lose my charge or we pop it too early. Man...medic rage!!!!!!!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
All talk might not be the best strategically but it's a lot more fun.

Plus 1 or 2 people will just say 'Pyro Uber' shortly after. Like others said hitting 'C+3' or whatever it is, or having them call for medic when they want uber is an easy way.

Yasae

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Bah! I don't think anyone really pays attention to those commands (I don't). It's usually enough for me if I say "GO" for my fucking pocket to fucking GO!. You hang around after I say it and more often than not I lose my charge or we pop it too early. Man...medic rage!!!!!!!
You can hit it before you die and still die. The game always deals damage to you first and then lets the uber pop. It's closer to 500ms of latency, which would indicate it's not only lag.

Oreoleo

Twig said:
Sword 'n' Board 'n' Pill - sure it was in no small part thanks to luck that I managed this (that is to say, new kill record of 19), but still... FUCK YOU OREO

God, I had no idea you had been alive that long. That airblast was like the most unsatisfying thing ever for me. You still had me dominated, then when you were coming to get me at C and I thought I was gonna be Mr. Slick Shit getting you from behind on the stairs and then FALLOUT comes out of LITERALLY NOWHERE to uber you and kill me. AGAIN. If you were trying to show me proof of how I don't suck at this game that was not it :_(

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Blizzard

Banned
I finally tried fullscreen TF2, which seemed okay (other than the weird claustrophobic feeling of everything being huge and zoomed in at 1680x1050)...except that alt-tab apparently decided not to work in Vista with TF2. =_______= Come on. I practically had to use the task manager to even kill the thing. Maybe it's just an intermittent problem though.

*edit* Crashed on the second launch attempt!

*edit* Alt-tab worked with a 15-second or so delay coming back in! Of course, a Vista reboot prompt popped up and pulled me out of fullscreen after a couple of minutes. >_< And if I want to adjust my headphone volume I have to alt-tab since otherwise I mess up the ingame audio levels. RAWR

Twig

Banned
I don't know, I don't use vsync, as I get well over 60fps at all times. But if you want to alt-tab with Source games, it's your only option. Fullscreen alt-tabbing Source games always ends in disaster. It's the worst.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
I don't know, I don't use vsync, as I get well over 60fps at all times. But if you want to alt-tab with Source games, it's your only option. Fullscreen alt-tabbing Source games always ends in disaster. It's the worst.
My issue is that I don't want games like L4D1 and L4D2 to get 195 fps, for two reasons. For one, it kicks my graphics card up to like 90C even with high fans. I'm already lowering settings. For another thing, I hate framerates varying from really high to really low, which especially happens in source games. So I normally just play with the fps_max option set to something like 75 which keeps things smooth but not crazy high.

Of course, L4D1 and L4D2 don't support that option. =(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry wasn't on tonight, guys.

Video card got borked so I also missed my match with boonoo :'(
Getting a new one tomorrow though! :D

Hmm...stabbin Twiggy in higher resolution = win

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I played in window-mode in Team Fortress 2 for a long time, mostly because I wanted to tab in and out of other applications (considering I use to play a lot of Arena). Running full screen-mode though seems to improve performance, but maybe it's just psychological. And anytime I have to Alt-Tab/Window Key out of hl2.exe, I always expect it to either crash, screw up the 'welcome screen' when switching maps, or have incredibly low framerates after coming back in.

Ultimatum

Banned
I used to play windowed mode before I got my new screen (24" 1920x1200), and since then I've always used full screen. It just feels so much smoother, and my aim is a lot more precise because of that. It's probably just something small, mouse related.

Javaman

Looks like Bully is on sale for $7.5 for the next hour or two. Any of my steam pals willing to front me until I can pay them back tonight? (Paypal) I can't access steam stuff from work.

fallout

Javaman said:
Looks like Bully is on sale for $7.5 for the next hour or two. Any of my steam pals willing to front me until I can pay them back tonight? (Paypal) I can't access steam stuff from work.
Done.

Javaman

Volcynika said:
Not sure I'll be TF2'ing tonight, Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter comes out :D

I predict that you will play for a couple of minutes, but the reoccuring popups in the bottom corner of your friends playing tf2 will drive you back to us.

Moral of the story. You can't get away.

Or disable popups

Yasae

Banned
Blizzard said:
I finally tried fullscreen TF2, which seemed okay (other than the weird claustrophobic feeling of everything being huge and zoomed in at 1680x1050)...except that alt-tab apparently decided not to work in Vista with TF2. =_______= Come on. I practically had to use the task manager to even kill the thing. Maybe it's just an intermittent problem though.

*edit* Crashed on the second launch attempt!

*edit* Alt-tab worked with a 15-second or so delay coming back in! Of course, a Vista reboot prompt popped up and pulled me out of fullscreen after a couple of minutes. >_< And if I want to adjust my headphone volume I have to alt-tab since otherwise I mess up the ingame audio levels. RAWR
saffire.jpg

Oh, so nice to turn a nob. Though it does allow software control via the GUI.

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Dedicated Server
- Linux optimizations.
- Fixed Linux servers not relisting correctly after a master server restart
- Fixed a case where servers could have "ghost" players consuming player slots

Engine
Marked the "snd_show" convar as a cheat

Gameplay Changes

Pyro changes
Flamethrower direct damage reduced 20%.
Burn duration reduced (10 -> 6 seconds).
Airblast re-fire delay reduced by 25%.
Airblast ammo usage reduced by 20%.
All reflected rockets/grenades/arrows now mini-crit.
Airblasting enemies into environmental deaths now awards the death credit to the Pyro.

Heavy changes
Minigun spin-up/down time reduced by 25%
Minigun firing movement speed increased to just under half-normal (from 80 to 110).
Throwing a sandvich to a teammate now earns a full bonus point (was half a point).

Bonk! changes
Post-use movement penalty removed.
Now has a re-use cooldown time, like The Sandman.

The Chargin' Target changes
Direct charge hit now does 50 damage + 10 per head (up to 5 heads).
Capped the turn rate from +left and +right while charging.

The Huntsman changes
Removed restriction that arrows need to be aimed before they can be lit by a Pyro.
Bow can now be lowered without losing the lit arrow.
Changed bow so you can start charging it while you're jumping, but you can't fire until you're on the ground.
Fixed bug where flame effect would get stuck on if you change weapons with a lit arrow.

Backpack changes
Moved Crafting button out to the root class/backpack selection panel.
Dragging and dropping items in your backpack now makes appropriate sounds.

Bot changes
Bots don't retreat to gather health as readily if they are in combat.
Bots no longer retreat when moving to block a point capture.
Bots should now equip an appropriate combat weapon and fight while moving to collect health.
Bots who are roaming the map and hunting now chase down their victims, following them around corners.
Bots That fire projectiles (ie: rockets/grenades/etc) don't hold down their fire button for a minimum time. This was causing Soldier bots to fire rockets into nearby walls as they strafed, killing themselves.
Soldiers bots now switch to their shotgun after firing all four rockets when engaging an enemy.
Added a few more bot names from community suggestions.
Fixed a behavior loop with Engineer metal gathering.

The Sandman change
Added a slight speed reduction to stunned players.

Community requests
Added ConVars log_verbose_enable and log_verbose_interval to report player positions in the server log at regular intervals
log_verbose_enable default: 0
log_verbose_interval default: 3 secs
"Last-weapon" initialization on respawn now sets itself to be the melee weapon if you don’t have a selectable secondary weapon (like The Razorback).

pyro nerf, good thing too, wouldn't them using the flamethrower or anything.

The Team Fortress 2 Update of "I don't think you understand just how much we hate Pyros."

Wow, reflected grenades are now mini-crits. You mean the kind that never reflect far, and still hurt you even though they turn your team color? Fantastic news! Like trying to reflect stickies, having those become mini-crits...

The Team Fortress 2 Update of "No, you really don't understand just how much we hate Pyros..."

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wow, interesting decisions here. For the Pyro it's bittersweet. It can finally fight the Rocket Launcher toe to toe with the faster Airblast, but having the Flamethrower damage reduced and length of flames cut in half is horrible.

Heavy certainly received some great buffs.. and Bonk! will be very useful now for drawing sentry fire without having to suicide in the mean time. And the Sandman receives a buff of slow down on the effected target. :lol

I'm not too happy that one of my most played classes was 'nerfed', but I'll just Axtinguisher everyone as it is.

they should've had ignited players ignite other plays they run into.

and I've reflected a huntsman arrow into a head shot so im pro pyro listen to me valve...!!!!! :lol

oh and make the reflected rockets home in on players, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom