• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Fixed several issues with the Source SDK
Added new items to commemorate our 119th (or so) update
Scout's "Retire the Runner" achievement updated to be
"Kill a Scout while they are under the effect of Crit-a-Cola."
Added a 20% damage bonus to The Backburner.
Fixed the Flare Gun's afterburn duration being lowered by the Flamethrower's duration reduction.
Fixed the teleporter exit using the wrong particle effect.
Fixed HUD damage indicators not appearing.
Fixed Teleporters not reverting to level 1 when their other side is destroyed.
Fixed receiving damage not causing view-kicks on players.
Fixed Engineers & Spies being able to circumvent build restrictions.
Fixed Server Browser not saving filter settings properly.
Fixed a client crash in the targetID on clients running custom HUDs

YAY!

Updating the server now. Hopefully the first one will fix the linux server mod issues.

That's a hell of a blog update.

Oh, awesome, I'm a Weekend Warrior because I started playing on the 360, not the PC. I guess I couldn't really expect otherwise, but it's always fun to be reminded you came from the red-headed stepchild side of the family. (I don't even know where PS3 version owners would fit, illegitimate children pushed out to die on a river maybe?)

I didn't realize Spies could build again during the last update. Valve should figure out something to do with Spygineers one day. :lol

Twig

Banned
Hahaha I think

the problem is they only RECENTLY started tracking TOTAL playtime, built into Steam. As in last year. So everyone's goign to get Weekend Warrior.

That's fucking brilliant. :lol

Javaman

bg_bottom.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Hahaha I think

the problem is they only RECENTLY started tracking TOTAL playtime, built into Steam. As in last year. So everyone's goign to get Weekend Warrior.

That's fucking brilliant. :lol
I was wondering if it depended on the current computer. I might not have INSTANTLY started playing TF2, but surely I started before 2009 if I bought it in 2007. But, I might have gotten this computer in early 2009...

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
I was wondering if it depended on the current computer. I might not have INSTANTLY started playing TF2, but surely I started before 2009 if I bought it in 2007. But, I might have gotten this computer in early 2009...
No, I'm fairly certain it's because they're using the Steam playtime stats.

Nothing to do with which computer you're using.

Twig

Banned
well apparently some people are getting the right medal? or so they claim?

so maybe it's broken for a different reason, who knows

Salsa

gamingheads_heavy.jpg

i need this

and i also hope that those medals dont become another vehicle for "bronze medal ? hahaha NOOB look at my gold"

Twig

Banned
nobody who's important cares so whatever

also i don't know what happened with this update but my framerate is fucked... givin' me a headache

also also I NEED THAT HEAVY

Btw I have a question.

Is there anyway to get net_graph to work like it did in the old hl engine games?

IE I want it to show text only, but choke and loss too. So net_graph 1 + choke and loss. Net_graph 3 has them but it has a very very distracting moving real time chart thingy that spews numbers all over the place.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Twig said:
nobody who's important cares so whatever

also i don't know what happened with this update but my framerate is fucked... givin' me a headache

also also I NEED THAT HEAVY

It may be what I experience after significant updates. I have never found a fix other than formatting, which I had to do again today to fix the issue. I have no idea why formatting fixes it, but it does.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know for sure if the backburner is more powerful now than it was before the flamethrower damage reduction, or just the same as the flamethrower was before when it doesn't crit?

Iadien

Twig said:
F...formatting?

That seems a little extreme.

I know, but it's that or play with horrible lag. I've tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling graphics drivers, defragging the hard drive, defragging cache files, suggestions from the official forums, etc. nothing has worked besides formatting.

Oh well, Windows 7 takes 20 or so minutes to install.

Boonoo

Twig said:
F...formatting?

That seems a little extreme.

What OS are you using?

Also, it looks like they've taken all the bad medals away, and have stopped handing them out. A fix is in the works I'm sure.

That secret stuff is neat. I wonder if it's just for kicks or if there are hidden messages inside.

Btw I have a question.

Is there anyway to get net_graph to work like it did in the old hl engine games?

IE I want it to show text only, but choke and loss too. So net_graph 1 + choke and loss. Net_graph 3 has them but it has a very very distracting moving real time chart thingy that spews numbers all over the place.

I've been looking for this as well. I hope there's a way to do it.

Iadien

It's not every update. I switched to x64 this time hoping that I never see the issue again.

Twig

Banned
I'm using 64-bit Win7. \:

It's never been a problem with TF2 before. D:

(But it has been a problem with L4D2 since I installed Win7. It ran perfectly on Vista and now it runs like ass on Win7.)

Boonoo

Twig said:
Windows 7.

...There's no way I'm going to reinstall Windows every time a TF2 update comes out. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. D:

(But it has been a problem with L4D2 since I installed Win7. It ran perfectly on Vista and now it runs like ass on Win7.)

Yeah, that's pretty bizarre. I had the frame rate break on me in Vista; but that was some strange thing where AA stopped working properly. I think it was something with drivers.

Have you tried defragmenting your game cache?

Edit: Strange about l4d; that's the exact opposite of my experience. What graphics card do you use?

Boonoo

Orbitcube said:
Hey, at least you can actually play TF2, mine just exits as soon as I hit the title screen. So I have no idea what to do about that.

Do you have an alternate HUD? those have been causing trouble.

Salsa

Twig said:
I'm using 64-bit Win7. \:

It's never been a problem with TF2 before. D:

You just stopped me from upgrading to Win 7 for Just Cause 2, now i shall wait for the solution of this problem.

I was in the middle of playing a round, and the game just minimized on me. I don't think it crashed, but it was just sudden, and when I tried to reopen it, after the standard wait it reminimized itself immediately. (That may have been an accidental double-click, though.) Anyone else run into something like this?

Orbitcube said:
The secret pages for this post.

Also note that the dice in those pictures are incorrect as the five and the two should be on opposite sides, not next to each other. What does this mean?!

Update 125?

Remy

Orbitcube said:
http://www.teamfortress.com/119/steam.html

http://www.teamfortress.com/119/teams_and_fortresses.html

The secret pages for this post.

Also note that the dice in those pictures are incorrect as the five and the two should be on opposite sides, not next to each other. What does this mean?!

Hearsay and conjecture from the Steam forums:

Now then, on these pages were dice. Each of those dice had the single pip facing upwards with only the 2 and 5 pips facing outward. And on the Steam page, they emphasize the number 5 several times (Five times as fast, Five (5) miniture lead hats).

And it's no coincidence that the words "Engineer buildings" are linked to the second page that really emphasizes those numbers.

May is the fifth month of the year. That leaves us with 1 and 2. Oh, hey, what's happening on 5/12? Steam is being released for Macs. And what better way to draw in new customers than with announcing "TF2, now with all classes updated!"

Instro

Was playing earlier and didnt get any of the medals maybe they will pop up later :\

The secret pages are interesting, would be nice if they roll out the engi update, and maybe a new meet the class video

snack

Ever since last night I've been having a problem where the game looks extremely choppy, as if it's running at 20fps, especially when lots of action is in view. But according to net_graph my frame rate isn't going below 70fps or so. The game was perfectly smooth before the update. Anyone else noticing this? Here are my specs:

msi 790FX mobo
XFX 5770 1gb
750w corsair psu
2x2gb ddr3 g.skill ram F3-12800CL7
x4 955 cpu

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
I wonder if your graphics settings got bumped up somehow?
They've always been at max! ALWAYS!
Boonoo said:
Yeah, that's pretty bizarre. I had the frame rate break on me in Vista; but that was some strange thing where AA stopped working properly. I think it was something with drivers.

Have you tried defragmenting your game cache?

Edit: Strange about l4d; that's the exact opposite of my experience. What graphics card do you use?
8800GTS.

I mean I guess it's fair to say that TF2 has become more graphics intensive over time, but I find it hard to believe that I could go from having near-perfect FPS to having all-over-the-place FPS in just one update.

I suppose I should clarify that it's not so much that the framerate is constantly low, like sub-30 fps or something. It's more like it's at about 70fps a lot of the time, but then it will inexplicably drop. It's just choppy as hell, instead of smooth like it used to be.

EDIT: Exactly what snack says basically.

Iadien

snack said:
Ever since last night I've been having a problem where the game looks extremely choppy, as if it's running at 20fps, especially when lots of action is in view. But according to net_graph my frame rate isn't going below 70fps or so. The game was perfectly smooth before the update. Anyone else noticing this? Here are my specs:

This is EXACTLY what I experience, it seems like the FPS takes a huge hit, but it doesn't show it going below normal.

Twig said:
They've always been at max! ALWAYS!

8800GTS.

I mean I guess it's fair to say that TF2 has become more graphics intensive over time, but I find it hard to believe that I could go from having near-perfect FPS to having all-over-the-place FPS in just one update.

I have an 8800GTX. I guarantee if you format your problems will go away. I have no idea why, but they will. :lol

Twig

Banned
I believe you, but I just have so much shit set up that it would literally take me all day to set it all back up.

Well, actually, I have Steam installed on my D drive, so reinstalling Windows wouldn't do anything. But I have a lot of stuff on that drive and no place to back it up. (I keep meaning to buy a hard drive exclusively for the purposes of backups, but I don't have the money!)

Iadien

Snack, do you have an 8800 series card as well? I wonder if it's a problem with our cards or something.

If I remember correctly the problem once went away on its own. I had to leave on business for about a month and came back to it working fine again.

Twig

Banned
MicVlaD said:
Too bad the Backburner will still be awful no matter how many times they'll change it!
I'll never use it.

But there've been several people in this and the Steam thread who are bitching about how much they hate the airblast but then completely ignore the Backburner's existence. When it's perfect for them.

(Also you're wrong it doesn't suck.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom