• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Valve is on a roll lately. In addition to breaking manimod and sourcemod, and earlier today apparently breaking (practically all?) TF2 servers so that no one could play until the servers updated again, Botolf and other people are apparently having some weird problems with the source engine editor tools, and he was working to finish a contest entry. :lol

Sibylus

Banned
Blizzard said:
Valve is on a roll lately. In addition to breaking manimod and sourcemod, and earlier today apparently breaking (practically all?) TF2 servers so that no one could play until the servers updated again, Botolf and other people are apparently having some weird problems with the source engine editor tools, and he was working to finish a contest entry. :lol
Still working on it, actually! I found a suitable workaround, I just switch to the Episode One version of the SDK (close hammer and press a few buttons, more or less painless) to edit my brushes and all that, then switch to the Episode Two version to do my compile. Works flawlessly so far and I'm not going to miss the deadline.

Wooo!

Twig

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Wow! We still had a good number of people on at around 2am. Where were you guys!? >:/
I just really can't stand to play with my FPS problems. It gives me a headache within minutes. \: (And, bonus, it also makes it harder to play well!)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
I just really can't stand to play with my FPS problems. It gives me a headache within minutes. \: (And, bonus, it also makes it harder to play well!)

Really THAT bad? We had someone on with 500 ping...and when I commented on it, it jumped to 700 ping. Though he was a scout and seemed to be magically dodging my sentry gun :p

Honestly, sounds like you may need a reinstall.

Oreoleo

Try reinstalling just TF2. Delete the local content and re-download. Better than reinstalling Windows. If it were me I'd be too bullheaded to do that, convinced there is another way around your issues.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Orellio said:
Try reinstalling just TF2. Delete the local content and re-download. Better than reinstalling Windows. If it were me I'd be too bullheaded to do that, convinced there is another way around your issues.

I was that way too... then it broke me and I had to format. haha I already posted this but, I tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling graphics drivers, defragging the hard drive, dragmenting cache files, several commands within TF2, etc.

Blizzard

Banned
6qh7ba.jpg

No Mercy looks kind of cool.

Javaman

Blizzard said:
6qh7ba.jpg

No Mercy looks kind of cool.

Yeah. I'm definitely going to run it tonight. I've also got lazytown_night to mix things up a bit. It's a fun but a bit too channeled map.

Twig, have you tried reducing your gfx to a minimal to see if the delays still happen? Maybe some value got stuck out of norm and changing the setting will reset it. There was a minor bug fix in the latest patch to fix some kind of graphics glitch that runs rampant.

Yasae

Banned
Javaman said:
Yeah. I'm definitely going to run it tonight. I've also got lazytown_night to mix things up a bit. It's a fun but a bit too channeled map.

Twig, have you tried reducing your gfx to a minimal to see if the delays still happen? Maybe some value got stuck out of norm and changing the setting will reset it. There was a minor bug fix in the latest patch to fix some kind of graphics glitch that runs rampant.
He's too good for us. He's playing the SC2 beta. I bought that SOB chili!

This game has hard-crashed on me twice, caused some funky sound bug when I switched from 2x AA, and has memory crashes every so often (Kuro knows this one.) It's not the most stable thing on two legs, or how many ever legs it has. I suppose there are downsides to having a steady stream of updates.

Twig

Banned
don't worry i am the worst starcraft 2 player in the history of starcraft 2 and always will be the worst starcraft 2 player in the history of starcraft 2

thanks for the chili though

Blizzard

Banned
Either the teams were really balanced, or the lack of changing spawnpoints made it last a long time. In the end one team got coordinated and got the last point fairly convincingly, however.

*edit* Okay, after trying 8v8 or so for like 30 minutes straight, I say let's not do that again. ;____;

Javaman

Oh god, lazytown_night is horrible. It becomes impossible to capture the last point since the team gets too spread out. I remember playing one version where the respawn moves up. That might be worth checking out.

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
Oh god, lazytown_night is horrible. It becomes impossible to capture the last point since the team gets too spread out. I remember playing one version where the respawn moves up. That might be worth checking out.
Well we had a teleporter on the 3rd/4th point for part of that, and still didn't get the last point, since if the defending team actually tries, they have like...5-10 second spawn, a giant hill with cover for engineers/medics/snipers, and a really slow-to-capture final point. And their spawn hill even has direct line of sight onto the next point...

Blizzard

Banned
Two quick observations from me burning myself out sucking at TF2 today:

1. The minicrit boost for pyros reflecting regular rockets...didn't seem to help me so much. The increased damage and knockback meant that twice I launched soldiers like 50 feet in the air at the bottom of the winding hill on cashworks. One landed next to health, and another landed on some weird little outcropping, though I managed to kill that one with a flare. Later on something like goldrush I hit a soldier and he went flying like 20 feet backwards so he could run away and heal. :lol

2. Has anyone else seen the cloak and dagger or regular cloak messed up lately? I heard someone say that only the dead ringer is worth using right now, like the latest updates broke something. I asked because I could have sworn I had 1/4 cloak and dagger left, I was sitting nearly still next to a wall near no one else, and a sniper suddenly started running towards me tracking me as I moved sideways (like looking directly at me). He said he saw me flickering. :(

snack

My FPS drops have been cured thanks to this thread from the Steam forums (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043281):

* Open regedit
* Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
* There will be an entry for network performance throttling, default value is 10; set it to FFFFFFFF hex (willl look like 0xFFFFFFFF to the right of the entry)
* Reboot

Seems to be a networking problem rather than a grahics card problem.

CryptiK

God I wish you could save multiple load outs for quick switching! I made a mock up of what they could do.. would people support the idea?
atpzm9.jpg

Basically hold the cursor over your Mercenary and a drop down box will appear showing you 2-3 saved load outs while on the left it shows what is in the load out.

iwsvas.jpg

or alternatively have it on the far right.

It shouldn't be hard to do this and I would love it. Would you?

Yasae

Banned
snack said:
My FPS drops have been cured thanks to this thread from the Steam forums (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043281):

* Open regedit
* Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
* There will be an entry for network performance throttling, default value is 10; set it to FFFFFFFF hex (willl look like 0xFFFFFFFF to the right of the entry)
* Reboot

Seems to be a networking problem rather than a grahics card problem.
Was this problem suddenly caused by an update like Twig's was? He also described it as consistent slowdown rather than intermittent stutters.

There's some ghost in the machine with TF2. It's also reset my key bindings three times, mainly when I use HLSS, though I only map sounds to F1 through F8. The W key suddenly gets unmapped and I have to go back and rebind it.

This game is screwy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
Two quick observations from me burning myself out sucking at TF2 today:

1. The minicrit boost for pyros reflecting regular rockets...didn't seem to help me so much. The increased damage and knockback meant that twice I launched soldiers like 50 feet in the air at the bottom of the winding hill on cashworks. One landed next to health, and another landed on some weird little outcropping, though I managed to kill that one with a flare. Later on something like goldrush I hit a soldier and he went flying like 20 feet backwards so he could run away and heal. :lol

2. Has anyone else seen the cloak and dagger or regular cloak messed up lately? I heard someone say that only the dead ringer is worth using right now, like the latest updates broke something. I asked because I could have sworn I had 1/4 cloak and dagger left, I was sitting nearly still next to a wall near no one else, and a sniper suddenly started running towards me tracking me as I moved sideways (like looking directly at me). He said he saw me flickering. :(

1. Aim better when airblasting?! There are videos on how to do it better! :D

2. Broken...same thing happened to me. Also easier to spy check though! :D

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
1. Aim better when airblasting?! There are videos on how to do it better! :D
I'm awful at timing. Learning to aim with weapons is something else I'm awful at, but I need to get my timing fixed first. :p And at any rate, where would you aim except at the ground? If you're a pyro who can consistently bodyshot soldiers with their reflected rockets without hitting any ground or walls, I'm impressed.

DarkKyo

Heavy statues going up shortly... I can't believe their facebook page says that after orders are placed it will take 5-8 months to produce them... what the fuck? :lol Like seriously..

Maybe it would be a better business model to make them first and then sell them.

derFeef

Dechaios said:
Heavy statues going up shortly... I can't believe their facebook page says that after orders are placed it will take 5-8 months to produce them... what the fuck? :lol Like seriously..

Maybe it would be a better business model to make them first and then sell them.
Even better that you only can reserve the next statue with a validation from the heavy statue. So 8 months per class makes 6 years to collect them all. That makes no sense ;)

Wonder how many there are going to be as I fear I will not get one. The site is very slow already and I can not imagine how things aregoing in 2 hours.

DarkKyo

derFeef said:
Even better that you only can reserve the next statue with a validation from the heavy statue. So 8 months per class makes 6 years to collect them all. That makes no sense ;)

Wonder how many there are going to be as I fear I will not get one. The site is very slow already and I can not imagine how things aregoing in 2 hours.
I think it'll be up for a tiny bit at least. And yeah, that site sucks serious balls. It will pretty much crash I'm guessing.

derFeef

Wow those are some amateurs.
It's likely the site will explode - we apologise in advanced - we under estimated the power of the TF2 community....
Guys - need to get on the site to flip the switch. No F5ing for 1 mintue....

edit: 230$ says facebook guys. Don´t know if true.

http://i.sldr.us/view/ycTq0/

Ugh... I expected this to be kind of costly, but having us blindly wait to preorder without telling us the price, when it's that high, is just going to blow up in their faces. They'll still probably sell out, but they're going to piss off plenty of people this morning.

Edit: I just got in, to a degree:

the BLU Heavy
$ 229.99
More details

the BLU Heavy Exclusive
$ 244.99
More details

the RED Heavy
$ 229.99
More details

the RED Heavy Exclusive
$ 244.99
More details

So "serious face" Heavy even costs $15 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom