• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't got mine either. Seems they retracted them for now since so many weren't getting the right one.

Not sure how i feel about the Pyro changes. I always preferred going with the normal flamethrower over backburner, simply because i love using the airblast. The damage difference was extremely noticeable in my playtime tonight. :/ The airblast improvements are welcome and i do like the greater emphasis on the team/defense role this gives, but its use is still mostly situational, so i think the damage reduction is entirely too much.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You Pyros now must learn how to utilize the Air Blast+Axtinguisher combo a lot more routinely. Pyro is no longer a run into a huge group, suicide, class. It can still ambush groups with the backburner, but be able to spam Airblast at Soldiers/Demoman/Ubers, means he's closer to a defensive class now.

Pyro is still a deadly class if you can manage to sneak up on a player that's away from the pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndZoP4yctqA

Squash

Twig said:
They've always been at max! ALWAYS!

8800GTS.

I mean I guess it's fair to say that TF2 has become more graphics intensive over time, but I find it hard to believe that I could go from having near-perfect FPS to having all-over-the-place FPS in just one update.

I suppose I should clarify that it's not so much that the framerate is constantly low, like sub-30 fps or something. It's more like it's at about 70fps a lot of the time, but then it will inexplicably drop. It's just choppy as hell, instead of smooth like it used to be.

EDIT: Exactly what snack says basically.

Don't know when the last time you updated your drivers but the current one nvidia released had something about 28-30% improved performance for l4d2.

Edit: nm looks like it's for l4d1.

Proven

What kills me about the update was that I already found the Pyro damage a tad on the low side. I already played him defensively. Defensively is the only safe and consistent way to get off airblasts. The thing is that this is still a bullet game, so while roaming with your teammates you'll have to go and charge the enemy at times, either to distract, or just to add your firepower to push. Now you're pure utility.

I mean, I already looked at it like this:
Offense
Soldier, primary offense
Scout, offensive support
Pyro, defensive suport

Defense
Demoman, primary defense
Heavy, offensive support
Engineer, defensive support

Now I might as well scrap the whole offensive/defensive support thing, call the Demoman an Offense class, and the Pyro a defense class. The only reason why anyone would keep him up there would be because the Backburner still encourages flanking, and flanking in considered an offensive maneuver since you need mobility to do it.

Also, on the possibility of an Engineer update, I always assumed we'd get it a month or so after either the L4D2 DLC or after the Mac client publicly released, which ever came first. This would line up nicely, but I kinda want them to wait another month for the Halo Reach beta to end...

Twig

Banned
But nobody cares about Halo anything!
Squash said:
Don't know when the last time you updated your drivers but the current one nvidia released had something about 28-30% improved performance for l4d2.

Edit: nm looks like it's for l4d1.
Oh well I've been meaning to update anyway since TF2 failed on me last night. I'll take anything I can get. Maybe it'll help out somehow anyway. O:

Javaman

Spotless Mind said:
I haven't got mine either. Seems they retracted them for now since so many weren't getting the right one.

Not sure how i feel about the Pyro changes. I always preferred going with the normal flamethrower over backburner, simply because i love using the airblast. The damage difference was extremely noticeable in my playtime tonight. :/ The airblast improvements are welcome and i do like the greater emphasis on the team/defense role this gives, but its use is still mostly situational, so i think the damage reduction is entirely too much.

I sometimes feel guilty about not helping out engineers with the airblast if I'm playing pyro, but there's certain situations where the backburner can do all kinds of damage. My favorite is when defending the last two cp points on Steel. There's so many ways to get around the enemies for Massive Damage[echo]

rar

Twig said:
But nobody cares about Halo anything!

i firmly believe halo 1 is the best game ever made, but no words can express how completely terrible the reach beta is

looks like you guys are stuck with me

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
rar said:
i firmly believe halo 1 is the best game ever made, but no words cannot express how completely terrible the reach beta is

looks like you guys are stuck with me
o_O It's awesome, i just want Invasion now.

Halo 1 is overrated, 2 and 3 are better

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Javaman said:
I sometimes feel guilty about not helping out engineers with the airblast if I'm playing pyro, but there's certain situations where the backburner can do all kinds of damage. My favorite is when defending the last two cp points on Steel. There's so many ways to get around the enemies for Massive Damage[echo]

Airblast can be just as effective in the case of Steel's E point, Airblast entire legions of BLU off the edge, and redirecting Rockets/Grenades back at the group too. And now you can just spam it as you come in instead of trying to time in. :lol

I do wish they would have buffed the Back Burner a bit more, giving me a real reason to use it. Like I said, giving the back burner the original laggy compression blast, or maybe giving it a longer after burn time.. anything.. would have been welcomed.

Squash

Proven said:
Now I might as well scrap the whole offensive/defensive support thing, call the Demoman an Offense class, and the Pyro a defense class. The only reason why anyone would keep him up there would be because the Backburner still encourages flanking, and flanking in considered an offensive maneuver since you need mobility to do it.

On the contrary, I think flanking is more of a defensive tactic. I mean unless there's a hole in the choke, it'd be hard for you to get behind anyone. Whereas on defense, getting behind anyone running out is pretty easy. Now I might start using the backburner again especially on offense with the 20% damage increase.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:lol That was fun last night trying out backburner pyro with an uber. Wrecked some massive damage and havoc! Destroyed 2 lvl 3 sentries, 2 dispensers, and had a 8 kill streak going by massacring Red! We easily pushed all the way to the 2nd point without much resistance! :D

Oreoleo

Twig said:
They've always been at max! ALWAYS!

8800GTS.

I mean I guess it's fair to say that TF2 has become more graphics intensive over time, but I find it hard to believe that I could go from having near-perfect FPS to having all-over-the-place FPS in just one update.

I suppose I should clarify that it's not so much that the framerate is constantly low, like sub-30 fps or something. It's more like it's at about 70fps a lot of the time, but then it will inexplicably drop. It's just choppy as hell, instead of smooth like it used to be.

EDIT: Exactly what snack says basically.

Is it only on certain maps? I'm tempted to think it's your CPU.

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
Is it only on certain maps? I'm tempted to think it's your CPU.
Q6600. It's not my CPU. This is a new thing after all!

And I haven't played enough to say it's only certain maps. But it was on Freight (which I'm told has problems anyway, but when I'd played the night before the update I had only a few hiccups as opposed to a constant problem) and Dustbowl and a new map I tried earlier called Crossroads.

Yasae

Banned
Proven said:
[...]Defense
Demoman, primary defense
Heavy, offensive support
Engineer, defensive support

Also, on the possibility of an Engineer update, I always assumed we'd get it a month or so after either the L4D2 DLC or after the Mac client publicly released, which ever came first. This would line up nicely, but I kinda want them to wait another month for the Halo Reach beta to end...
You could easily call the demo an offensive class. There are a lot of players who specialize in it and get to the top of the scoreboard quick. They generally don't do much destruction, either.

Because the heavy was awful at protecting a medic. The combo works okay in more disorganized situations, but in any coordinated setting the heavy/medic combo doesn't cut the mustard.

Picking off medics that are being pocketed by a heavy is pretty trivial in one on two situations especially compared to the soldier/medic combo. Sure the heavy will probably survive a scout attack, but if the scout is focused on the medic the medic sure won't. A soldier or demo can respond faster and disrupt the attack; a heavy just doesn't have that kind of response time. This change helps that; it's an overall boost to mobility--and mobility is key in low player situations.
Block their vectors - though that's rather difficult on maps like Cashworks. Get them in corridors and doorways where they tend to die much more often. The needle gun is surprisingly effective in that instance since scouts have so little health.

I would also use the blutsauger if I had it. I could've sworn I had it drop twice, but couldn't find it digging through all 103 items in inventory.

derFeef

The Demoman thing do not bother me anymore as I lost hope that Valve fixes them somehow. This class is way too versatile, but who cares anymore.

But please Valve, I want to get rid of that stuttering and the Engie exploits before my weekend gaming starts.

Twig

Banned
The engie exploit was gone with the most recent update. And the stuttering doesn't affect everyone. At least, if you're talking about the problem I'm having.

Yasae

Banned
derFeef said:
The Demoman thing do not bother me anymore as I lost hope that Valve fixes them somehow. This class is way too versatile, but who cares anymore.

But please Valve, I want to get rid of that stuttering and the Engie exploits before my weekend gaming starts.
fff22069.gif

derFeef

Twig said:
The engie exploit was gone with the most recent update. And the stuttering doesn't affect everyone. At least, if you're talking about the problem I'm having.
I was in a server 30 minutes ago and one engie built at least 10 sentry guns at our base, maybe it is a new exploit.

And I never had stuttering in TF2 so this is kind of new to me. Even the rockets and grenades "stop" in the air for some milliseconds. Very odd but not happeng all the time.

e: I don´t get that avatar quote ;)

Twig

Banned
No you've done nothing wrong. Just.

"welp"

edit: ps java

6:27 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Capndrake/default/cp_no_mercy_b10000.jpg
6:27 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Capndrake/default/cp_no_mercy_b10002.jpg
6:27 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Capndrake/default/cp_no_mercy_b10004.jpg
6:28 PM - Twig: that's impressive
6:28 PM - Twig: does it feel balanced
6:28 PM - Twig: or is it just another novelty map
6:28 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: Feels pretty balanced
6:28 PM - Twig: nice

add this map

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/98491

Oreoleo

Twig said:
No you've done nothing wrong. Just.

"welp"

edit: ps java

6:27 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Capndrake/default/cp_no_mercy_b10000.jpg
6:27 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Capndrake/default/cp_no_mercy_b10002.jpg
6:27 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Capndrake/default/cp_no_mercy_b10004.jpg
6:28 PM - Twig: that's impressive
6:28 PM - Twig: does it feel balanced
6:28 PM - Twig: or is it just another novelty map
6:28 PM - [GAF]Capndrake: Feels pretty balanced
6:28 PM - Twig: nice

add this map

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/98491
do want!

Proven

Yasae said:
You could easily call the demo an offensive class. There are a lot of players who specialize in it and get to the top of the scoreboard quick. They generally don't do much destruction, either.

derFeef said:

Yes, I know the Demoman has practically been an offensive class the entire time. In my little chart, it originally was that Heavy was primary defense, and Demoman offensive defense. I just had hope, that, you know, one day, something would happen. But even the Chargin' Targe is an offensive weapon.

Twig said:
I'll never use it.

But there've been several people in this and the Steam thread who are bitching about how much they hate the airblast but then completely ignore the Backburner's existence. When it's perfect for them.

(Also you're wrong it doesn't suck.)

i want the damage and the air blast, i have a 5 digit steamid from 2003 and over 200 steam games, I should get special treatment valve!

Javaman

What the flying fuck.

I dled the file. It didn't have a .bsp extension so I tried it both ways but the server doesn't recognize it. Capndrake, what's the specs on your file? Default was cp_no_mercy_b1 13,459KB (extracted and no extension)

Edit. Found the problem. DON'T download it from the US mirror. I didn't think anything of it since the main page said 13megs which was close to the DL size. Actual size of the zip is 45megs on the French mirror.

Gonna be after 9est, sorry.

Edit2:Map is a go!@

Just got the gold badge. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Interesting, the latest update adds some things to better support prophunt. Maaaaaybe they could support it as a game mode some day? :O

Update Notes said:
Added further PropHunt mode support
-Added a "SetCustomModelRotates" input, which will enable/disable whether the custom model should rotate yaw (enabled by default)
-Added a "SetCustomModelVisibletoSelf" input, which will set whether or not the local player should see his own custom model
Fixed the Engineer being able to build more than 1 of each type of building
Fixed old Engineer build keybinds not working with the new system
Fixed a client crash on shutdown
Fixed the Gunboats not properly applying the damage reduction when Spectators are nearby
Fixed post-processing bug which could cause tone mapping to become stuck at highest setting

And the medals went back out again, looks like they're fixed this time.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sheesh...I got my stinking medal, but what's the point if I can't log on any server?
Verified 3 times, restarted Steam...no go...why does it work for some and not others!?

VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVLE! >:/

edit: 'Sheesh...NOW it works....lame is all I can say...lame...'

Yasae

Banned
Javaman said:
What the flying fuck.

I dled the file. It didn't have a .bsp extension so I tried it both ways but the server doesn't recognize it. Capndrake, what's the specs on your file? Default was cp_no_mercy_b1 13,459KB (extracted and no extension)

Edit. Found the problem. DON'T download it from the US mirror. I didn't think anything of it since the main page said 13megs which was close to the DL size. Actual size of the zip is 45megs on the French mirror.

Gonna be after 9est, sorry.

Edit2:Map is a go!@

Just got the gold badge. :)
??? I tried all three mirrors. 13.1 MB for each.

EDIT: Ah, okay. The extracted file is 45,222 KB. That should be the one. All ready to play on Coruscant! Er... "No Mercy."

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Sheesh...I got my stinking medal, but what's the point if I can't log on any server?
Verified 3 times, restarted Steam...no go...why does it work for some and not others!?

VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVLE! >:/

edit: 'Sheesh...NOW it works....lame is all I can say...lame...'
Servers had to update. Java's rebooted twice I think. It works now. I might join later if I feel well enough. Also it shows 2007 and grizzled veteran so I'm happy. :D

Javaman

eznark said:
Trying to jump in for the first time in over a year probably and I keep getting some "validating files" message?

Try verifying your tf2 files. Once you get it straightened out JOIN USssss.

Slavik81

Firestorm said:
I had stuttering issues just now too. Got vsync on so it would drop from 120 to 60 to like 30 =\ q9550 @ 3.4GHz and GTX 275.
I don't have stuttering issues (GTX260), but I do occasionally see people teleport around, even with a great ping.

Salsa

At least you are playing, i guess the servers i usually play in are not updated or something ?. There`s no one in them since the update came out.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wow! We still had a good number of people on at around 2am. Where were you guys!? >:/

That GAF admin abuser guy...always giving deals to everyone

"if you cap the point, I'll let you pick the next map!" :D

SOOOOO much admin abuse on that server! :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom