• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Oh mah god, engie getting a robot? Or.. a robot suit? Am I finally playing this class?

edit: love the evil engie laugh
edit2: meet the pyro hint? huuuge flamethrower in our face! :D

eznark

Banned
I'm trying to join the GAF server but I'm getting a "don't have the map" message. I thought the game downloaded maps as necessary?

Boonoo

eznark said:
I'm trying to join the GAF server but I'm getting a "don't have the map" message. I thought the game downloaded maps as necessary?

It's best to just grab em off of fpsbanana. I think there's a list of maps somewhere.
cashworks is the most common community map.

Twig

Banned
It didn't pop up for me. It just changed from gold to platinum, all secret like.

P.S., I left not long after joining 'cause I'm slightly intoxicated and exhausted and I just wanted to see if it'd work after the update AND I have class early in the morning. And it does work! So expect me to get killed a lot tomorrow night. :D

Javaman

Twig said:
It didn't pop up for me. It just changed from gold to platinum, all secret like.

P.S., I left not long after joining 'cause I'm slightly intoxicated and exhausted and I just wanted to see if it'd work after the update AND I have class early in the morning. And it does work! So expect me to get killed a lot tomorrow night. :D

Ah crap, and here I was hoping you had rage quit.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:

so the new update improved the fps? hmm...still kinda crappy for me

Sciz

2m6723o.jpg

That was a good round.

derFeef said:
Anyone got the platinum medal? I should get it since I was in beta, but nothing popped up yet.
Yep. Should've just converted over for you instead of dropping.

derFeef

Sciz said:
Yep. Should've just converted over for you instead of dropping.
Hm, I need to take a closer look after work then. It was a silver one with a soldier badge on top of it, if my milk-watared eyes did not fool me.

Sibylus

Banned
Sometimes you hate that drop system, but it's been pretty good to me today.

- Got a Scottish Resistance (the one unlock I haven't been able to get, due to difficulty reaching the allotted amount of completed achievements)

- And this:

jq5oox.jpg

It's the hat I've wanted the most for Pyro, and now it is mine! Got lots of metals I can use for some other class hats now.

eznark

Banned
So I downloaded that custom GAF server map, but I have zero clue as to installation.

Just copy the maps and materials folders over?

Javaman

eznark said:
So I downloaded that custom GAF server map, but I have zero clue as to installation.

Yep! There should be a map/s folder in your tf2 install. put the .bsp there. I'm not exactaly sure where the other files go. They probably have a folder structure set up in the zip file. The easiest way to get new maps usually is to use the server browser to find another server hosting it. Click the maps column and it'll sort by map name helping you find the right one. Cashworks is the only custom currently in the regular rotation.

Remy

eznark said:

The folder is typically:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<steamid>\team fortress 2\tf\maps

You don't even need to relaunch. When Java changes the map, I alt-tab out, hit fpsbanana, download it, move it into place, alt-tab back in, and reconnect. Works like a charm.

firex

I'm going to be sad when engineer gets none of the unlocks I wanted for him (nailgun, welding torch, and slick spray).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm hopeful the Engineer will have some sort of trapping device. Bear trap, pitfall trap, something. It would be so annoyingly awesome.

Yasae

Banned
Twig said:
it works again :D
Strange, as I started getting stutters right around the time this ^ was posted, right near the end of cashworks. Twig is a witch.

I doubt it's anything permanent.

Boonoo

EvilMario said:
I'm hopeful the Engineer will have some sort of trapping device. Bear trap, pitfall trap, something. It would be so annoyingly awesome.

After playing around with the broken build limits I want, more than ever, the ability to build 3 level 1 sentries.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Engie thread in the Gaming Forum is going to make me have an aneurysm, as it's turned into a 'WHY DID THEY NERF THE PYRO, IT'S SO USELESS' thread. :(

Twig

Banned
EvilMario said:
The Engie thread in the Gaming Forum is going to make me have an aneurysm, as it's turned into a 'WHY DID THEY NERF THE PYRO, IT'S SO USELESS' thread. :(
It's a great thread I don't know what you're talking about!

Blizzard

Banned
I like the part where they did a TF2 update yesterday but apparently didn't fix the spy cloaks (or at least they're not mentioned in the notes). :/

commissar

arrrrrrrrrrrgh tf2 consistently crashes at each new map load now.

I get to the welcome screen and then it freezes and windows pops up with "bl buddy, back to desktop" :(

Javaman

Tisan said:
arrrrrrrrrrrgh tf2 consistently crashes at each new map load now.

I get to the welcome screen and then it freezes and windows pops up with "bl buddy, back to desktop" :(

Is it every server or just this one?

Boonoo

Twig said:
ewww i got f7 in my gaf

haha, they flooded right in, didn't they?

On an unrelated note. I had an absolutely badass 30 seconds of sniper at the start of goldrush! I got something like 5 headshots in a row!

commissar

Javaman said:
Is it every server or just this one?
it happens now and then on some servers, but I think the added latency makes it worse for the GAF server.
It would be fine, but usually when I've loaded TF2 back up there's no more server slots for me D:

I think what happened is the server update changed the way the client/server comms work (as I've had no problems before).
I would guess it's my uhh...unusual router setup creating some sort of issue.

Though it is a straight up appcrash, and I've had this error
Engine Error
failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer
a few times.

I'll reinstall TF2, update directx and drivers again and see what happens just in case it's not a network issue.

Also, that was a damn good hold we had on Steel just now. A full 8 minutes only on E. But then we lost in the last seconds ._.

go go team bacon!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
ewww i got f7 in my gaf

Sheesh! I won't invite them next time! Just trying to fill the server! :p

Sigh...what a shitty night. I think I'm going to take a break or something. Nothing like a bunch of assholes saying 'faggot', glitching doors, arguing with other players, micspamming, etc...

Sigh...hopefully this isn't going to be a frequent occurrence.

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Sigh...what a shitty night. I think I'm going to take a break or something. Nothing like a bunch of assholes saying 'faggot', glitching doors, arguing with other players, micspamming, etc...

Gotta bust out that banhammer yo!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't know why people are crying over Pyro changes for. Then again, I don't run around and spam my flames unless I am spychecking - and even then it is small bursts now and then.

firex said:
so what's the chocolate bar do for heavies

I mean aside from make them even fatter

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Dalokohs_bar

Takes as long to eat as the Sandvich but only heals about 20% of the Heavy's base health. If eaten at full health, buffs the Heavy with a 30 second overheal of 50 HP, but doesn't stack on top of a medic's overheal. Can't be dropped to heal others or for a quick heal.

So basically, it does practically nothing for them. It's good for a solo Heavy who knows he's about to jump into a dangerous situation, yet is going to face a target that doesn't know he's there, and is completely deaf to "NOM NOM NOM OM NOM," like a Level 2 Sentry, or a menacing-looking Dispenser. Or he could just drop his Sandvich at the start of the fight and have a 50% heal midway through, so again, it's not particularly useful.

Volcynika

Kuro Madoushi said:

All I heard was you insulting poor Boonoo.

BOONOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also I have the perfect thing to put out on the mic if someone isn't being a team player. :lol Just have to figure out how to get it t use.

Javaman

Volcynika said:
All I heard was you insulting poor Boonoo.

BOONOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also I have the perfect thing to put out on the mic if someone isn't being a team player. :lol Just have to figure out how to get it t use.

HLSS or HLDJ are pretty easy to set up and allow you to play sounds on the mic. Biggest thing is making sure the sound file is saved in the correct format.

Oreo and Kuro are credit to server for banning those dipshits.

Sooo.....where do I find what medal I have? Ive owned the game since they had a big sale on the Complete Valve pack, like 1.5/2 years ago....But I dont see any medal. Unless for some stupid reason they dont track it on their end. since when I bought TF2 I was just on my laptop, but ive since formated it multiple times, and upgrade to a full gaming PC, which ive also formated.

I will be kinda pissed if I get screwed outa something like this.

Edit: not to mention my steam stats are wrong, it says I have only 4 hours played, but I know I had WAY more than that before.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:

I only quit early because my client timed out. I tried to connect to F7 A/D then, and it timed out after a few minutes as well! Looks like I didn't miss anything too wonderful..

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Tisan said:
next time jangaroo, next tiiime!

also wtf kuro, 5??!

I have no liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife! :'(

And don't worry about me and boonoo, Volcano Man! >:/

We play on the same team and I just like giving him grief. We have private chats on the GAF Mumble server so he knows I'm just messing with him when I troll him on the server.

Proven

Did something happen to the GAF server? I had some problems last night with steam, and it complained that it may not have been able to sync some things properly, but that's no reason for the GAF server to suddenly disappear from my favorites... is it?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Proven said:
Did something happen to the GAF server? I had some problems last night with steam, and it complained that it may not have been able to sync some things properly, but that's no reason for the GAF server to suddenly disappear from my favorites... is it?

Java was tinkering with it. I got kicked myself and I'm an admin! :p

Someone else I asked to join the server also got kicked a lot.

That Java and his tinkering! Though seriously, it could've been a lot of issues...Steam was having trouble too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom