• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Kuro Madoushi said:
Java was tinkering with it. I got kicked myself and I'm an admin! :p

Someone else I asked to join the server also got kicked a lot.

That Java and his tinkering! Though seriously, it could've been a lot of issues...Steam was having trouble too.

The only tinkering I did was before 10pm. I'm not sure what's the cause of his issues. If anyone is having issues, please try to connect to another server to see if it's on your side. Many people have been having problems with crashes/lockups/time outs since the recent updates, yet others aren't seeing any problems at all.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Javaman said:
The only tinkering I did was before 10pm. I'm not sure what's the cause of his issues. If anyone is having issues, please try to connect to another server to see if it's on your side. Many people have been having problems with crashes/lockups/time outs since the recent updates, yet others aren't seeing any problems at all.

Java...always the tinkering engie...

LOG ONTO YOUR STEAM CLIENT JAVA!!!!!!!!

Proven

I was able to connect to another server, but I was too worn out to give a crap about a game of yukon on a random server, so I packed it up for the night. I'll try again later today.

Boonoo

It's mainly used by Vert and co for L4D; it's his server. He's also letting my TF2 team use it.

Volcynika said:
All I heard was you insulting poor Boonoo.

BOONOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He was being so mean to me D:
Dirty level ones everywhere and the cruel wrench flying wildly.

Oreoleo

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2

* Fixed players seeing cloaked Spies when they should be fully cloaked
* Updated the Homewrecker
o It now damages enemy sappers on friendly buildings

* Fixed items not displaying correctly while playing back a demo
* Badge hire dates now display the time in GMT

Megaton.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Orellio said:

Definitely handy, but I don't think I could ever use it over the Axtinguisher in almost every instance. Maybe at the very last point of a map, if I had to save a sentry.

Oreoleo

EvilMario said:
Definitely handy, but I don't think I could ever use it over the Axtinguisher in almost every instance. Maybe at the very last point of a map, if I had to save a sentry.

I agree for the most part, which is why I don't think it will end up unbalanced or anything. It's just one more thing to help differentiate the new offensive/defensive Pyro.

okno

Anyone else unable to load up the game? Every time I try it gives me a warning that the servers are too busy to handle my request, and it's been like this for about 30 minutes for me.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
okno said:
Anyone else unable to load up the game? Every time I try it gives me a warning that the servers are too busy to handle my request, and it's been like this for about 30 minutes for me.

Everyone and their mother is trying to update the game right now. Just keep trying, and eventually you'll connect, and the download will start.

1-D_FTW

NVM. The little Steam icon in my tray is showing Steam is SLOWLY downloading a Steam Client update. That must be TF is showing as ready to play (even though it needs a download.)

EDIT: Haha. I was only downloading at 25k/sec so I switched regions and now it's not downloading the client and is showing as up-to-date when I hit check for client updates. Smooth move.

Proven

Orellio said:

I'm playing tonight.

To elaborate: I've been wanting an update so that melee weapons remove sappers for the longest time. The Engy buildings go down so fast that I really wanted a more team effort around keeping them up, and being able to knock sappers off would have been great. At least there's now one weapon to do this.

okno

EvilMario said:
Everyone and their mother is trying to update the game right now. Just keep trying, and eventually you'll connect, and the download will start.

Yeah, at first Steam wasn't showing me that it was downloading an update, and then when it finally did the download would go for a few seconds and then pause itself and then I would need to unpause it. It eventually regulated itself and is now fine.

I'm having dinner right now, but will then be online. If anyone wants to play, my handle is fruitpreservative.

Oreoleo

okno said:
Yeah, at first Steam wasn't showing me that it was downloading an update, and then when it finally did the download would go for a few seconds and then pause itself and then I would need to unpause it. It eventually regulated itself and is now fine.

I got a new HDD and am trying to install a bunch of games and it keeps doing this and it's frickin frustrating :mad:

Blizzard

Banned
Hooray, spy cloaks are fixed! Hooray, the homewrecker is less useless!

Unfortunately, that guy Boonoo or whatever said that the only effective way to use a pyro now is to airblast->flaregun->axetinguisher->hadouken combo, so I guess I can't switch to the homewrecker. ;(

This message is slightly sarcastic. :p

okno

Blizzard said:

Unfortunately, that guy Boonoo or whatever said that the only effective way to use a pyro now is to airblast->flaregun->axetinguisher->hadouken combo, so I guess I can't switch to the homewrecker. ;(

It's unfortunate, but the new Pyro play style is so much fun on it's own it's not THAT big of a deal.

Seriously, I'm having way more fun with the pyro now than I ever did before, and I regularly get into the top 5 as Pyro now.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Do it, Java! You big baby!!!!

Oh, and Boonoo...

"Oh mah gawd!? Where did dat sentrah come frum?!" :D

I almost muted your ass after you said that for the 50th time in 30 minutes. :lol

Boonoo

Blizzard said:

Oh ho! The proper method is flamethrower + airblast + flare (while in air)+flare (when they hit the ground) + flamethrower + airblast + airblast (this one adds insult to injury) + axetinguisher (as they're falling)! Although, at this point the home wrecker should work ok, too. So feel free to use it.

Javaman

Boonoo said:
Oh ho! The proper method is flamethrower + airblast + flare (while in air)+flare (when they hit the ground) + flamethrower + airblast + airblast (this one adds insult to injury) + axetinguisher (as they're falling)! Although, at this point the home wrecker should work ok, too. So feel free to use it.

Get your Street Fighter out of my TF2 please. :lol

Working on getting the server updated. Keeps crashing before updating for some reason. Probably the mani hooks.

Edit: Sure enough. Had to disable mani to get it out of a reboot loop. Everything is up now.

yeoz

So I switched in spawn to pyro in order to homewrecker a sapper on a tele. SUCCESS :D

Unfortunately, turns out when a pyro destroys a sapper on a tele, it only destroys the sapper on the side that the pyro is homewrecking. So the tele exit blew up anyway. FAILURE D:

Proven

yeoz said:
So I switched in spawn to pyro in order to homewrecker a sapper on a tele. SUCCESS :D

Unfortunately, turns out when a pyro destroys a sapper on a tele, it only destroys the sapper on the side that the pyro is homewrecking. So the tele exit blew up anyway. FAILURE D:

Still, thanks for the trial by fire experiment. The best part is that since you saved the entrance, I was able to quickly get that tele back up.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Interesting.

I don't use the Axestinguisher because it doesn't do shit on other Pyros, and since I use the Flaregun I have no other viable method to kill them outside of simply airblasting them out of the way.

Twig

Banned
I sure am disappointed to find that once again after a night of much drinking the GAF server is empty.

This time however I am making a drunken concentrated effort to not make a fool of myself.

Thanks guys. ):

Oreoleo

Twig said:
I sure am disappointed to find that once again after a night of much drinking the GAF server is empty.

This time however I am making a drunken concentrated effort to not make a fool of myself.

Thanks guys. ):

That's cause half of us were having a blast cruising around together in Fuel for hours. You should try it sometime :)

Blizzard

Banned
yeoz said:

Or you could have just switched in spawn to...engineer. ;p

Orellio said:
That's cause half of us were having a blast cruising around together in Fuel for hours. You should try it sometime :)
Also this. We even convinced Java to try it for like 20 minutes. Next time we need to all use the Steam chatroom chat or Mumble or something though.

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
Isn't Fuel the one that's not actually that good but it got like the Guniess Record or something?

I actually regret not buying that Codemasters pack when t wast on sale. I'm not generally a huge fan of racing games but I've had a hankerin' altely. ):

If anyone has Burnout Paradise we should totally play that! I know it's old and hasn't been on sale for a while but me and fallout played it for a bit and had a fucking blast!!!

YEAHH!!!

take me down to the paradise city SHUT UP ARGH (i hate that song now)

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Isn't Fuel the one that's not actually that good but it got like the Guniess Record or something?

I actually regret not buying that Codemasters pack when t wast on sale. I'm not generally a huge fan of racing games but I've had a hankerin' altely. ):
It's not that great probably because it has several annoyances (GFWL, not a lot of variety in the landscape and race features, hard to get a party together). However, the weather effects and day/night cycles look cool, and when you do an online free race you can literally have like 4+ people together driving across like 5000 square miles of map with no loading. Occasionally people would disappear or drop out for a bit but it was actually surprisingly fairly robust, and you can definitely crash into the people you're driving with.

It's kind of like pokemon -- there are lots of little challenges and scenic points and liveries and stuff you can unlock if you want to do tons and tons of driving. I'm going to try to post some screenshots if any of them turned out, probably in the PC screenshots thread.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Iadien said:
I almost muted your ass after you said that for the 50th time in 30 minutes. :lol
:lol Stop RAGIN Jason! Do you have this on Steam or something? You always show up as a question mark on my profile :p Sorry if I upset you as you sounded annoyed, BUT I had to rub it in since you kept headshotting me with that goddamn lucksman! :mad:

I was just having a ton of fun looking for the most obnoxious sentry spots on the map. I joined a game with Proven and my lvl 1 sentry guns harassed the hell out of Blu. Sapped? Unsap or leave as it's only lvl 1. Destroyed? I had more than enough metal to build another. Destroyed twice? Move to another obnoxious spot.

The deal is, if there are other lvl 3 sentries already build up, NOBODY pays attention to the lvl 1. On Frontier, I built this tiny lvl 1 around a corner next to some VERY visible lvl 3s. LITERALLY RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER! Had they looked down they would've gotten it. Sure enough, both ubers are blown, lvl 3s are down, my baby sentry takes them down.

Keep trying to tell my dumbass teammates NOT to level it up as it makes it more visible and thus more prone to spam. Imagine one lvl 1 sentry hitting you with deadly accuracy while there's spam around you; there's a heavy spinning gun; there are demomen throwing stickies; etc. Meanwhile, some crazy ass engie comes flying out of nowhere and shoots you in the face.

Oh, and if you guys REALLY want to populate the server after Java leaves, we need to designate a late late night admin. I was going on at like 4-5am and in pops Kiminewt and some other Euros along with jangaroo and n0b! We had it to 5 aside and I'm sure we could've done something with it. We don't ALWAYS have to leave with Java...maybe you should just drop out Java and see if anyone notices? :lol

Ultimatum...I'd rather keep teams mixed tbh. I guess we COULD do it if we got enough people and maybe some former F7 members too. I don't think you should judge them too much, they're generally pretty cool. It's just the admins that seem to piss a lot of people off there.

And, bah, Twiggy! You're rarely on anymore! Though you did say you had homework. Let's see this wknd how the power of the lvl 1 sentry will make you raaaaaaaaaaaaaage. I made an F7 member on their servers rage with it. WITHOUT mic spam! I said I'd take the arrow from his huntsman and make him eat it. He said he was deadly on Cashworks as a sniper. He never knew what hit him :D

Twig

Banned
Yasae said:
*cringe*

Burnout hit its peak with the third game. No thanks.
I've never played another Burnout. Anyway I love it. So fuck you!

also i've been "rarely on" because until that patch on wednesday or whatever my framerate was ass and YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS

i was all pumped to play a drunken game of tf2 tonight ):

now i'm sober and exhausted wtf am i doing up at 5:30am jesus christ l4d2 destroying me!

and yes i was working on an assignment nearly all day yesterday

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Kuro Madoushi said:
:lol Stop RAGIN Jason! Do you have this on Steam or something? You always show up as a question mark on my profile :p Sorry if I upset you as you sounded annoyed, BUT I had to rub it in since you kept headshotting me with that goddamn lucksman! :mad:

I was on your team most of that time, and I don't think you ever killed me with one of the sentries.

Yes, I have steam. I'm not sure what you mean that I show up as a question mark. Javaman added me a while ago.

Proven

Kuro Madoushi said:

I was just having a ton of fun looking for the most obnoxious sentry spots on the map. I joined a game with Proven and my lvl 1 sentry guns harassed the hell out of Blu. Sapped? Unsap or leave as it's only lvl 1. Destroyed? I had more than enough metal to build another. Destroyed twice? Move to another obnoxious spot.

The deal is, if there are other lvl 3 sentries already build up, NOBODY pays attention to the lvl 1. On Frontier, I built this tiny lvl 1 around a corner next to some VERY visible lvl 3s. LITERALLY RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER! Had they looked down they would've gotten it. Sure enough, both ubers are blown, lvl 3s are down, my baby sentry takes them down.

Keep trying to tell my dumbass teammates NOT to level it up as it makes it more visible and thus more prone to spam. Imagine one lvl 1 sentry hitting you with deadly accuracy while there's spam around you; there's a heavy spinning gun; there are demomen throwing stickies; etc. Meanwhile, some crazy ass engie comes flying out of nowhere and shoots you in the face.

Oh, and if you guys REALLY want to populate the server after Java leaves, we need to designate a late late night admin. I was going on at like 4-5am and in pops Kiminewt and some other Euros along with jangaroo and n0b! We had it to 5 aside and I'm sure we could've done something with it. We don't ALWAYS have to leave with Java...maybe you should just drop out Java and see if anyone notices? :lol

Ultimatum...I'd rather keep teams mixed tbh. I guess we COULD do it if we got enough people and maybe some former F7 members too. I don't think you should judge them too much, they're generally pretty cool. It's just the admins that seem to piss a lot of people off there.

And, bah, Twiggy! You're rarely on anymore! Though you did say you had homework. Let's see this wknd how the power of the lvl 1 sentry will make you raaaaaaaaaaaaaage. I made an F7 member on their servers rage with it. WITHOUT mic spam! I said I'd take the arrow from his huntsman and make him eat it. He said he was deadly on Cashworks as a sniper. He never knew what hit him :D

I feel like Kuro is taking my current Engy strategy. It's the only thing that makes it fun for me nowadays. There are so many places on defense that you can get sight lines for. Much harder on offense though.

My problem as Engy is that even when I do the constant lvl 1 harass, I get killed. A lot. Random Snipers, Spies, Pyros, anybody who just happens to be around seem to land a critical hit on me. So when Kuro took over and didn't get hit as much, I decided to try a different strategy. Just put the level 1 in the center of the map. It blocked Snipers and all the flank points, and then I just leveled it up for the lulz and we won the map.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Proven said:
I feel like Kuro is taking my current Engy strategy. It's the only thing that makes it fun for me nowadays. There are so many places on defense that you can get sight lines for. Much harder on offense though.

My problem as Engy is that even when I do the constant lvl 1 harass, I get killed. A lot. Random Snipers, Spies, Pyros, anybody who just happens to be around seem to land a critical hit on me. So when Kuro took over and didn't get hit as much, I decided to try a different strategy. Just put the level 1 in the center of the map. It blocked Snipers and all the flank points, and then I just leveled it up for the lulz and we won the map.

You need to come on late at night with me and n0b to go over wacky engie shit. I have a lot more messed up sentry spots i gotta try :D

Oh, and you're simply camping too much. You need to be more mobile. One of the rival spies I have on F7 had a hard time chasing me down after I taunted him once since I'm always shooting at choke points and backing out. It is a little unpredictable :lol

notsol337

marked forever
Kuro Madoushi said:
You need to come on late at night with me and n0b to go over wacky engie shit. I have a lot more messed up sentry spots i gotta try :D

I'm going to go engy on your team just to level up your guns.

Yasae

Banned
Kicked from the F7 server for "Command Spamming." :lol I won't go into the hypocrisy present there, I just... Probably won't go back at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom